RIFTS Campaign Power Level

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What's your power level

Low Power
2%
Low to Moderate Power
16%
Moderate Power
23%
Moderate to High Power
30%
High Power
9%
Munchkin Power
2%
Other( will explain below )
18%

Total votes: 44

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

RIFTS Campaign Power Level

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

So what level does everybody play at??
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I'd love to play a Moderate Power game with an SDC conversion, but i've yet to make it happin.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I usually go for modertae to high in games I run.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

It does not matter as long as you emphisize role playing.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I like to start low-to-moderate, but I have nothing against high powered.
I avoid Munchkin games.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

other: all except munchkin (the rules do not get folded, spindled, or mutilated in any in my games...a little bent maybe...)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Sentinel
Palladin

A Cosmo-Knight campaign where the PCs fight Dominators, and things of that calibre isn't munchy.

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

All levels are fun.

Hell, the super-munchkin-slugfest campaign (3 melees
and that is 4 sessions... just kidding) is good for releasing
somer pressure, if nothing else.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sentinel wrote:A Cosmo-Knight campaign where the PCs fight Dominators, and things of that calibre isn't munchy.

The dominator didn't last a melee. you sure about that? ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Define low and high powered. Everyone has a different idea of what is what. If I had to guage what my group's power level is I'd have to say it's about low-medium.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I would have to mine, that i run falls into the varies level. In mine, you can find a cosmo-knight travelling along side a normal cyber-doc or wilderness scout, for its the about the characters then the power level.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Lagos
D-Bee

Unread post by Lagos »

I'm in a bunch of games, my one i'm running is fairly low powered, as I want my games to be built up.
'Ring ding day leee ohh Ring ding ding dally ooo'
Ogapogo in Mt.Shasta singing a song.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I would say low to mid power but it depends on how you look at power levels.
To me, a group of vagabonds is definately low power.
A group of dragons is high-power and a party of cosmo-kinghts is munchkin.
(Note: A party of Splugorth who somehow learned to work together is NOT allowed. Even in munchkin games.)
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Glad to see we aren't clear on munchkin vs high powered. If it's all ubermegaknights and no roleplay but all rollplay, it's munchkin. If there's role playing it's just high powered. All Splugorth is just plain lame.
Well, thats sort of what I was getting at in my previous post.
I'm pretty sure we've had a few threads on this issue before, but I believe the weaker the characters are, the better the role-playing you get.
It takes a group of VERY experienced players to role-play a powerful group. I really havent had the honor of GM'ing such a party yet. Tried a team of full borgs and PA pilots once and that turned into a slug fest.
Probably my fault as the GM. I dont think I tried hard enough to make good adventures. A better man would have designed encounters to encourage role-playing.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

It all depends on the type of campaign I am running. If all the characters are Cosmo-Knights, Godlings, Etc., then it is fairly high powered. They will fight against small armies of Splugorth troops, a fleet of ships, etc.

On the other hand if they are a collection of operators, wilderness scouts and maybe one juicer, then I tone done their opponents as much as possible. Granted if they decide to walk straight in to the burbs and cause trouble, then there is little I can do to save them from the several SAMAS that will fly in to kill them.

The biggest problems I have (which were mentioned on a seperate thread) is keeping any non-governmental, non-evil group in E-clips and armor. Let's face it, fighting for freedom, saving lives, righting wrongs...it all sounds very cool and romantic but it doesn't pay the bills. I believe it was Blade who said "This isn't the march of dimes". As much as I hate to do it, I tend to fall back on the old DnD methods. For some unexplainable reason, the evil necro-mancer the group just thrashed will have a secret stash of E-clips, body armor, jewels, etc. For the same mysterious reason so will the rhino-buffalo that attacked them while traveling to the town where the necro-mancer held power. Not to mention the that this same mysterious reason will see to it that the next town the encounter will have a armor repair shop and E-clip recharge station.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Sentinel
Palladin

Granted if they decide to walk straight in to the burbs and cause trouble, then there is little I can do to save them from the several SAMAS that will fly in to kill them.

This where I am more likely to use ISS agents or perhaps NT-SET, and similar character types.

Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Sentinel wrote:
Granted if they decide to walk straight in to the burbs and cause trouble, then there is little I can do to save them from the several SAMAS that will fly in to kill them.

This where I am more likely to use ISS agents or perhaps NT-SET, and similar character types.

It is my understanding that NT-SET and ISS are strictly internal police forces. The Army has responsibility for the Burbs. I will check the CWC book...It says the ISS does have presence in the Burbs but not to what extent. It does say however that the ISS and it's sub-divsions (NT-SET, PSI-NET) are primarily tasked with internal police duties and not external peace keeping.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

In my game the PCs always start as SDC beings or low MDC (equal to a heavy suit of EBA), and have basic starting gear, maybe one good weapon.

Then as the game progresses they get better toys.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Sentinel
Palladin

Toc Rat wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

It is my understanding that NT-SET and ISS are strictly internal police forces. The Army has responsibility for the Burbs. I will check the CWC book...It says the ISS does have presence in the Burbs but not to what extent. It does say however that the ISS and it's sub-divsions (NT-SET, PSI-NET) are primarily tasked with internal police duties and not external peace keeping.

That's just how I would apply those resources.
No need to use a cannon if a pistol will suffice. If the PCs have heavy weapons, power armours or robot vehicles, then sure, I'll trot out the SAMAS. But, if it's a bunch of lower level adventurers with a Juicer (at most), then I will take a lower-powered approach to pursuing them.

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

mod-high
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Rifts®”