These robots don't make any sense! or am I missing something

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Toc Rat wrote:
Kikkoman wrote:are there other games that handle combat between people and giant robots?
Star Wars d20?

The West End Games version of Star Wars had a very good and simple system for dealing with damage between people, Robots, Star Fighters and Capitol class ships
I liked the old Star Wars system because the piloting rules were really good.
Just like the damage, it was easy to set up piloting maneuvers on everything from jetpacks to Star Destroyers.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Kikkoman wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:I don't think it's a seasy as your making out, I think one of the worst things about Rifts is that the damages between infantry and vehicle weapons are so out of proportion.

are there other games that handle combat between people and giant robots?
Star Wars d20?

Yup! Not sure if you can get it in print anymore though.
It's called 'Mekton-Zeta' by R.Talsorian Games.
They have a great system called 'scaling' for combat between mecha & squishies. cavaet to that though is the smaller you are, the harder it is for the BIG guns to nail ya! :D
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nxla666
Champion

Re: These robots don't make any sense! or am I missing somet

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Toc Rat wrote:
Kikkoman wrote:II would just think that logically...

That was your mistake, you are applying logic to Rifts.

Are you implying that Rifts isn't logical? :lol:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Korentin_Black wrote:
korjik wrote:The atomic bomb was fully developed 1942-1945

Uh... not quite.

All of the theoretical work that underpinned the Atomic Bomb was completed pre-war, hence why they could convince the government to spend - and here's the part that backs up my point - an /obscene/ amount of money and effort developing it. The rest was 'just' engineering (and a hell of a lot of number-crunching).

Like the German rocketry programs, the A-bomb absorbed a thoroughly disproportionate amount of resources, with the one counterpoint that it actually got used. Twice. No country actually life-or-death struggling for its life could have afforded it - hence the fate of the German program of the same period.

Or maybe the fact that we (Allies) bombed the $#!+ out of anything we suspected as being a German weapons development/manufacturing facility had more to do with it than lack of money.

Germany at the time had litterally tons of stolen loot worth hundreds of millions at the time (worth billions today). Some of this was in the form of precious metals and gems both of which have intrinsic value, so they would have been able to "back" their paper currency with this value.

They had the money. But they didn't have the facilities to do the development.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Korentin_Black wrote:There's another popular myth...

The low-payload American daylight raids and the heavier (but of course, less accurate) nighttime raides of the RAF indeed did immense damage to the German war machine.

So much so that during the periods of the heaviest raids, their production of many vital war materials went up.

The key being vital war materials like food and basic munitions not new even bigger super rockets and atomic bombs. Not to mention that the production went up specifically to compensate for the losses.

Unfortunately as well, gold and silver are all well and good, but are only wealth if you have somewhere to spend it - far more important were the resources they aquired in the form of minerals, petroleum and 'labour' from their occupied territories.

The would have used force to aquire the minerals petrol and unskilled workers but they would still need to fund the building of a uranium refinement facility as well as the development of the weapon itself. More than enough money exsisted to do this.

However time, knowledge, and a powerfull alliance was alinged against them.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”