Rift's Japan Question?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Rift's Japan Question?

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I've been reading WB Japan lately so I ccan run aa game based there, and I've run into a small problem. Why is the New Empire still around? Icould understand if they were last stronghold of human civilizaion on the islands,but with high-tech enamies like Otomo around they should of been gone long ago. Why you may ask,well thats simple. No air power. Samuri and ninja are realy cool but a half dozen flying power armor would wipe them out in a matter of months.

So instead of wiping out the New Empire do any of you have some good ideas to givve the anti-tech people of the New Empire some air support. Whit a japanese flavor of corse.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Zylo wrote:The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

If you are saying that the Republic would help them out at this point in the time line I would agree with you, the RoJ popped back 20+ years ago Otomo has been around since the rifts came and with just a few flying power armor of acouple of hundred troops in jet packs coould of and probibly wiped out the New Empire decades ago. So they would of had to develope some form of air support, with out use of any modern means.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Rift's Japan Question?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I've been reading WB Japan lately so I ccan run aa game based there, and I've run into a small problem. Why is the New Empire still around? Icould understand if they were last stronghold of human civilizaion on the islands,but with high-tech enamies like Otomo around they should of been gone long ago. Why you may ask,well thats simple. No air power. Samuri and ninja are realy cool but a half dozen flying power armor would wipe them out in a matter of months.

So instead of wiping out the New Empire do any of you have some good ideas to givve the anti-tech people of the New Empire some air support. Whit a japanese flavor of corse.

why? 3 reasons.

1. half dozen flying power armor's have to land sometime, pilot rest.
2. the capital is under a mellenium tree. i'm reasonably certain that the branches make life difficult to fly very high.

3. two words. Call. Lighting. ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

More like "Summon Elemental", Miss Nekira.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Tengu
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Otomo has other, and more profitable things to do with their resources.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

PA Pilot; "Okay, you ready captain Yuushiro?"

PA Pilot: "Yes, miss Miharu, let's go."

*PA Fly off on a strafing run toward Kyoto*

Kyoto Priest: "Hey look, power armor."

Kyoto Millenium Tree: "Don't worry I got it."**

*Calls up gigantic ley line storm, wiping out or at least disorienting the PAs*

Kyoto Priest: "Hey Shin, you mind mopping things up?"

*A Kumo-Mi walks up*

Shin: "Sure."

*Shin, the Kumo-Mi flies off and tears apart the Power Armor (and is supported by a half dozen Samurai waiting on the ground.*

Kyoto Priest: "Okay, I'm going to go take a nap."

~ Josh

**Yes, I know Millenium Trees can't talk.

Unread post by Guest »

Gee, I always thought it was the millions of rune weapons available in the New Empire myself.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Gee, I always thought it was the millions of rune weapons available in the New Empire myself.

ROTFLMBOE!
Yup..EVERY katana is a minor rune-blade.
This is why I think K.S. should have written non-tw magic weapon rules, just so this problem wouldn't happen. So then, yes, your katana will go through mdc creatures / materials, but it only does baseline damage and no other properties. Plus don't 'natural 1' any of your parry or strike rolls; shrapnel from breaking steel is a stone-cold [cenosred by Palldium Books code of conduct and retentiveness] :D !
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

DhAkael wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Gee, I always thought it was the millions of rune weapons available in the New Empire myself.

ROTFLMBOE!
This is why I think K.S. should have written non-tw magic weapon rules, just so this problem wouldn't happen. So then, yes, your katana will go through mdc creatures / materials, but it only does baseline damage and no other properties. Plus don't 'natural 1' any of your parry or strike rolls; shrapnel from breaking steel is a stone-cold [cenosred by Palldium Books code of conduct and retentiveness] :D !

rules for non-TW weapons or lack thereof has no bearing on being a rune weapon ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

ROTFLMBOE!

rules for non-TW weapons or lack thereof has no bearing on being a rune weapon ;)

Um..maybe I didn't make m'self clear...the Katana's should NOT be rune weapons...period! Magic, sure, but not RUNE magic (as defined in Palladium fantasy and Rifts Atlantis).
Rune-Magic has been stated (ad-naseum, ad-infinitum) as being the sole province of Splugorthians, and certain clans of Dwarves... hairless monkeys (re: humans) do NOT know how to make rune weapons. Magic / alchemical and TW enhanced weapons, sure no probs!
But then again; it's Kevins' world, so he can change the universal laws as he sees fit. :D If he wants the sword masters of Rifts japan to be making rune-blades like kitchen-kife sets, it's his perogative. GM's should allow or disallow as they see fit.
But be warned, it could end up like this:
"Welcome to Abdul Goldbergs' house of rune knives! Straight from the land of the rising sun! Gaurenteed to cut through dragon scale and Pwr.suits like cardboard, and still slice this tomatoe wafer thin!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

DhAkael wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

ROTFLMBOE!

Um..maybe I didn't make m'self clear...the Katana's should NOT be rune weapons...period! Magic, sure, but not RUNE magic (as defined in Palladium fantasy and Rifts Atlantis).
Rune-Magic has been stated (ad-naseum, ad-infinitum) as being the sole province of Splugorthians, and certain clans of Dwarves... hairless monkeys (re: humans) do NOT know how to make rune weapons. Magic / alchemical and TW enhanced weapons, sure no probs!
But then again; it's Kevins' world, so he can change the universal laws as he sees fit. :D If he wants the sword masters of Rifts japan to be making rune-blades like kitchen-kife sets, it's his perogative. GM's should allow or disallow as they see fit.
"Welcome to Abdul Goldbergs' house of rune knives! Straight from the land of the rising sun! Gaurenteed to cut through dragon scale and Pwr.suits like cardboard, and still slice this tomatoe wafer thin!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:

they're "rune" because they have a soul inside them, not "rune" because they have actual RUNES on them, they do not.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kikkoman wrote:how strong are these? I don't have Rifts Japan

varies.

"typical" one does 6d6, SDC to SDC, MD to MDC for katana, 4d6 wakazashi
ancient, pre-rifts ones do 1d6x10 MD for katana and 1d4x10 MD for wakasashi.

there are some greater and greatest rune katana's that have been specially made and enchanted for additional power, but those are case-by-case, no guidelines.

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the New Empire Can Kill the Otomo shogunate ... it's Bigger, WAY more magical resources then the Mineral Strapped Otomo Guys.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Shadow Wyrm wrote:I've been reading WB Japan lately so I ccan run aa game based there, and I've run into a small problem. Why is the New Empire still around? Icould understand if they were last stronghold of human civilizaion on the islands,but with high-tech enamies like Otomo around they should of been gone long ago. Why you may ask,well thats simple. No air power. Samuri and ninja are realy cool but a half dozen flying power armor would wipe them out in a matter of months.

why? 3 reasons.

1. half dozen flying power armor's have to land sometime, pilot rest.
2. the capital is under a mellenium tree. i'm reasonably certain that the branches make life difficult to fly very high.

3. two words. Call. Lighting. ;)

Yes flying power armor have to land sometime,but they can land hundreds of miles away making taking the pilots out very difficalt for people who ride horses.

The capital would most likely be safe but the rest of the territory would be very eazy pickens for hit and run tactics of small flying PA.

Call lightning works great if the targets are within 300ft. Keep your PA at 1000ft and most magic cant reach you.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

The Galactus Kid wrote:Tengu

Tengu are demons not allied as a group to anyone. One or two tengu might come to the aid of a village but they would be well out classed by something like a SAMAS.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Gee millions of rune SWORDS against FLYING power armor. Not a problem!
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Dragons and elementals sounds to much like SoT to me. And the SoT is why I have gone with Japan to run a game.

Anybody know any japanese mythology that might provide insparation for low tech air power.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:
Zylo wrote:The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

If you are saying that the Republic would help them out at this point in the time line I would agree with you, the RoJ popped back 20+ years ago Otomo has been around since the rifts came and with just a few flying power armor of acouple of hundred troops in jet packs coould of and probibly wiped out the New Empire decades ago. So they would of had to develope some form of air support, with out use of any modern means.

Dragons.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:**Yes, I know Millenium Trees can't talk.

The world at large does not believe Millenium Trees can talk. ;)
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Shadow Wyrm wrote:[...] Why is the New Empire still around? [...] with high-tech enamies like Otomo around they should of been gone long ago. Why you may ask,well thats simple. No air power. Samuri and ninja are realy cool but a half dozen flying power armor would wipe them out in a matter of months.

I direct you toward a study of America's conflict with Vietnam (and now Iraq and Afghanistan) and Russia's conflict with Afghanistan.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

DhAkael wrote:If he wants the sword masters of Rifts japan to be making rune-blades like kitchen-kife sets, it's his perogative. GM's should allow or disallow as they see fit.

I disallow. In fact, I disbelieve. But then, IMRU, I don't use Rifts Japan straight out the book.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Shadow Wyrm wrote:Dragons and elementals sounds to much like SoT to me. And the SoT is why I have gone with Japan to run a game.

Anybody know any japanese mythology that might provide insparation for low tech air power.

Other than Oriental style dragons, maybe Ki-rin?
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Rifts Japan 2 realy needs to be made there is just too much that's been left out of Japan that needs to be covered.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

lol
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

I figure their hidden villages ...oh...wrong setting
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

I found a japanese mythology web sight. I've desided to use the japanese connection to spirits to develope anti-tech counters.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Shadow Wyrm wrote:I found a japanese mythology web sight.

And you didn't post the link because you thought we would all be uninterested in your discovery?

Unread post by Guest »

RainOfSteel wrote:

And you didn't post the link because you thought we would all be uninterested in your discovery?
He probably only found Enyclopedia Mythica
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

He probably only found Enyclopedia Mythica

Yes,Kuseru Satsujin, all I did was google japanese mythology, and the first website that I looked at was Enycloprdia Mythica. And all I [url]needed was to look at the site for ten minutes to know[/url]that I founed what I needed. Too make Rifts Japan work for me. After all this is a role playing game. It only has to make sense to those who do not know any better(IRL).

And as far as not posting a link to the rest of you, I am sorry, but to tell you the trueth I am not at all intrernet capeable.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

D3m1G0D wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:Unfortunately, and this is something a lot of people forget, Samauri swords (at least the normal ones, rather than the greater weapons) go 'ting' and bounce off MD armour. All MD armour.

Specifically, they are:

6D6/4D6 (Katana/Wakizashi) in SDC to foes, MD to Supernatural Creatures and Creatures of Magic. More for ancient swords.

The funny part of this being of course, that Samauri wear MD armour - must make for some exceedingly long duels, though it is magic armour and may well be affected at the GM's discretion.
I decided to make a house rule correction. Rune weapons on Rifts eath do MD (most of the time.) I went with their swords doing MD against MD targets (all,) and SDC damage against SDC targets (all.)

If I didn't do this I didn't see a way for the Empire to stop a decently armed band of mercenarys.

How did you handle this (everyone?)

that's what I do.

actually, that's what every GM I've played with does (well, the GM's where it actually came up)

Gomen_Nagai

course Kuseru only approves of Kuseru approved resources..
... I wouldn't ask him his opinion on anything
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

D3m1G0D wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:Unfortunately, and this is something a lot of people forget, Samauri swords (at least the normal ones, rather than the greater weapons) go 'ting' and bounce off MD armour. All MD armour.

Specifically, they are:

6D6/4D6 (Katana/Wakizashi) in SDC to foes, MD to Supernatural Creatures and Creatures of Magic. More for ancient swords.

The funny part of this being of course, that Samauri wear MD armour - must make for some exceedingly long duels, though it is magic armour and may well be affected at the GM's discretion.
I decided to make a house rule correction. Rune weapons on Rifts eath do MD (most of the time.) I went with their swords doing MD against MD targets (all,) and SDC damage against SDC targets (all.)

If I didn't do this I didn't see a way for the Empire to stop a decently armed band of mercenarys.

How did you handle this (everyone?)

That's pretty much what I do as well.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Unread post by Guest »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:course Kuseru only approves of Kuseru approved resources..
... I wouldn't ask him his opinion on anything
Only because you know you'd get cut off at the knees yet again.
Gomen_Nagai

No. I'd make sure to have someone stab you in the back before you Drew your blade!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

ROTFLMBOE!

they're "rune" because they have a soul inside them, not "rune" because they have actual RUNES on them, they do not.
I don't recall the initial rune weapons before Rifts came out containing souls... just devouring them.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

ROTFLMBOE!

I don't recall the initial rune weapons before Rifts came out containing souls... just devouring them.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kikkoman wrote:
Shadow Wyrm wrote:Rifts Japan 2 realy needs to be made there is just too much that's been left out of Japan that needs to be covered.

Super Robot Pilot OCC
Henshin Ranger OCC (think power rangers)
Henshin Cyborg OCC (masked rider/Kamenrider, Kikaider, etc.)
teenage PA/RV Pilot OCC (gets +10 to dodge/strike vs older characters, an extra +5 if they have facial hair)
*because, as far as I know, nobody with a beard/moustache has ever survived a Gundam series)

yes, much to cover

and they need Demon Queller gyms
Can you Quell them all?
So what if the TPA/RV pilot has big hair or hair over one eye or strange colored hair?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

ROTFLMBOE!

re-read carefully...

Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

The book says the swords are rune weapons, so they are rune weapons.
I personally have never treated them as such in my games. I just don't think they need to contain a soul to do the damage, or anything else. I treat them as powerful magic weapons made through a shinto ritual. The weapons are empowered by the gods of Japan.

Return to “Rifts®”