Small Towns with a Local Guardian

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Small Towns with a Local Guardian

Unread post by Marrowlight »

While, when I first read it in the MB, I thought this was an awesome idea it seems like it is never really mentioned much in the actual books of the game. How many example can you all think of of named small towns that have their champion protector?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

From other books? None that I can think of. Doc Reid might be the closest thing to one that I can think of.
:fool:
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Jesterzzn wrote:From other books? None that I can think of. Doc Reid might be the closest thing to one that I can think of.

Yeah, ones from other books.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Small Towns with a Local Guardian

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Marrowlight wrote:While, when I first read it in the MB, I thought this was an awesome idea it seems like it is never really mentioned much in the actual books of the game. How many example can you all think of of named small towns that have their champion protector?

Single protector?
None.
SB2 has an adventure where there is a gang of local protectors (The Bad Cats) who go bad, but that's the closest I can think of.

I also like that view of Rifts Earth, and I wish that we could go back to it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:While, when I first read it in the MB, I thought this was an awesome idea it seems like it is never really mentioned much in the actual books of the game. How many example can you all think of of named small towns that have their champion protector?

Single protector?
None.
SB2 has an adventure where there is a gang of local protectors (The Bad Cats) who go bad, but that's the closest I can think of.

This goes hand in hand with the small city thread I had earlier - just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed one or two amidst all of the Rifts books.

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Is SB1 there is that magicked borg Lord... But he has a militia too.
So, it might not count.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Do you think that Rifts Earth is gone for good?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Well there was that guy in SB1 lord Frommalaine
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Misfit KotLD wrote:I believe Mechanoids has a gang "protecting" a small town too. But I might be thinking of SB1.
That was SB2 the town thought they were hiring heroes and they turned out to be villians
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Lord Formeltain (sp?) from Source Book 1.

The "Great Purple Mage" from SoT1.

That are the only ones that I can remember.

Other towns have a small militia or group of protectors like the Mage Star or the Colorado Baronies.

I still like the idea of the single champion defending the small wilderness town.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

dinosaur swamp has serveral such towns listed.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

sHaka wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Do you think that Rifts Earth is gone for good?

Yes.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Lone Star WB 13. Orpheus the Titan, Lord Mayor of Houstown, is considered the towns protector.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Single protector?
None.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in other sourcebooks doesn't mean it has gone away. They don't usually detail Podunk villages and thus why they haven't been mentioned.

As far as I am concerned, Rifts has not strayed from where it was originally.

~ Josh
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Single protector?
None.

I agree with KC that there are few to no towns with a "single Champion". Very much contrary to the blurbs given in the Rifts core book (ultimate or non) it seems a practical impossibility for any single "protector" to govern/protect a town. The romantisized notion given to us just doesn't work. Not even a Glitterboy could hope to stand alone against the many, many threats running amok on Rifts earth.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Toc Rat wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Single protector?
None.

I agree with KC that there are few to no towns with a "single Champion". Very much contrary to the blurbs given in the Rifts core book (ultimate or non) it seems a practical impossibility for any single "protector" to govern/protect a town. The romantisized notion given to us just doesn't work. Not even a Glitterboy could hope to stand alone against the many, many threats running amok on Rifts earth.

Podunk Wilderness towns are written as having protectors....

....very few such towns are ever detailed (ggod, IMHO, that should be the providence of the GM)...

...hence why they can't be found in supplements. They're still there., though

Just because a book makes no mention of rain doesn't mean that it doesn't rain in the area that the book covers.

~ Josh
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Single protector?
None.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in other sourcebooks doesn't mean it has gone away. They don't usually detail Podunk villages and thus why they haven't been mentioned.

~ Josh

The Rifts Adventure Guide has rules for making various communities. The Weapons and Armor section has 6 possible levels, and every single level has the possibility of mega-damage weaponry.
At level 1, it's only a single weapon, so that's not too bad.
At level 2, the town has 2d4 MDC guns and a handful of militiamen will have light MDC armor.
At level 3, 10% of the population has mega-damage weapons, and the entire militia has MDC armor (as well as 1d4% of civilians).
MDC only gets more prolific from there.

This shifts things a bit from the main book portrayal of things, where a couple guys in MDC armor could take over a town unless there was a protector there, and where the majority of Kingdoms used champion/protectors.
Sure, Glitterboys and other heavy hitters can still make for good champions, but your average Headhunter would simply blend in with the local militia.

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Yup, with the way power scales in Rifts it would seem only a god or Alien Itelligence could protect a town. And they're not likely to do it. :lol:
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Marrowlight
Knight

Hrm....almost makes you wish MDC beasts and gear was a touch rarer than it is.

Josh Sinsapaugh

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Single protector?
None.

~ Josh

The Rifts Adventure Guide has rules for making various communities. The Weapons and Armor section has 6 possible levels, and every single level has the possibility of mega-damage weaponry.
At level 2, the town has 2d4 MDC guns and a handful of militiamen will have light MDC armor.
At level 3, 10% of the population has mega-damage weapons, and the entire militia has MDC armor (as well as 1d4% of civilians).

This shifts things a bit from the main book portrayal of things, where a couple guys in MDC armor could take over a town unless there was a protector there, and where the majority of Kingdoms used champion/protectors.
Sure, Glitterboys and other heavy hitters can still make for good champions, but your average Headhunter would simply blend in with the local militia.

I never use those rules, I laughed when I first saw them in the Rifter, and never looked back.

~ Josh
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Single protector?
None.

~ Josh

I never use those rules, I laughed when I first saw them in the Rifter, and never looked back.

~ Josh

Sure, if we ignore the rules then things can stay just like in the main book.

Josh Sinsapaugh

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Single protector?
None.

~ Josh

~ Josh

Sure, if we ignore the rules then things can stay just like in the main book.

:lol:

Not what I was saying. :P

Creation rules have always been strictly optional, you don't need them to make a town or a mercenary company, or a syndicate, etc. ((I do use the Merc, Syndicate and Traveling Show one's though)).

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote::lol:

Creation rules have always been strictly optional, you don't need them to make a town or a mercenary company, or a syndicate, etc. ((I do use the Merc, Syndicate and Traveling Show one's though)).

~ Josh

Technically everything is optional though, yes?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Creation rules have always been strictly optional, you don't need them to make a town or a mercenary company, or a syndicate, etc. ((I do use the Merc, Syndicate and Traveling Show one's though)).

~ Josh

All rules are strictly optional.

Josh Sinsapaugh

Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

But some things are inherently more optional than others, if that makes sense. You really don't have to use those creation rules...the same can be said about using H.P. or attributes...though which one could you do more easily without?

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

But some things are inherently more optional than others, if that makes sense. You really don't have to use those creation rules...the same can be said about using H.P. or attributes...though which one could you do more easily without?

~ Josh

Or, as in this discussion, dogs doing Mega damage.

actually that's another discussion, but they're all kinda blurring together tonight.

This discussion is about the small towns of the world. Here's my thought - it really doesn't feel right for the US anymore to me. But England is still ripe for the plucking and perhaps the ideal land for small towns and local champions.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

~ Josh

Not much difference, really.
HP don't matter unless you have more than 100 or you get hit by SDC damage.
Attributes don't really matter either, unless they're extraordinary or supernatural.

But it sure would be a boring game without any cities or towns.
Sure, you could make up your own cities and towns... but you could do the same with HP and attributes.
Heck, most people already have house rules for attribute generation.

Josh Sinsapaugh

Marrowlight wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

~ Josh

Or, as in this discussion, dogs doing Mega damage to the Supernatural.

actually that's another discussion, but they're all kinda blurring together tonight.

Heh...blurry...room spin...

Yeah, exactly, that's another good example. Certain rules you can be more easily omitted.

The Creation Rules (towns, Merc companies, etc.) however, have always been strictly optional.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

~ Josh

Attributes don't really matter either, unless they're extraordinary or supernatural.

Sure, you could make up your own cities and towns... but you could do the same with HP and attributes.

You missed the point.

If your character has no H.P. or S.D.C. and gets hit with an S.D.C. attack, how does one know when your character dies? If you need to roll under an M.E. attribute or M.E. attribute equivalent, how can you do so without such an attribution. Can be done, but it is a lot clunkier and harder than generating one's town from scrath without silly please-hold-my-hand rules. (Though for time-strapped GMs, I guess they can be a life saver)

~ Josh
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

~ Josh

Technically.

~ Josh

You missed the point.

If your character has no H.P. or S.D.C. and gets hit with an S.D.C. attack, how does one know when your character dies?

Same way you know if a town gets destroyed if you don't use the rules for towns. You make it up.

If you need to roll under an M.E. attribute or M.E. attribute equivalent, how can you do so without such an attribution.

Give me an example of when this might happen.

Can be done, but it is a lot clunkier and harder than generating one's town from scrath without silly please-hold-my-hand rules. (Though for time-strapped GMs, I guess they can be a life saver)

~ Josh

1. All rules could be done from scratch.
2. The rules aren't just there to help GM's make towns, they're there to show what the communities of Rifts Earth are like.
And what they are like has changed since the main book.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Wolff wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
If you need to roll under an M.E. attribute or M.E. attribute equivalent, how can you do so without such an attribution.

I have my players roll IQ checks all the time instead of perception checks for things like noticing the fact that a corpse has been lacerated vs. blown to bits with MDC weapons, or that there is a fold between MDC armor plating in the spider's skin (actually happened, and guess what, the Operator figured it out and killed a spider in one hit vs. the Headhunter with the Plasma Ejector taking three shots and darn near running out of ammo.)

Yes.
It can happen with house rules.

Marrowlight
Knight

Wolff wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I have my players roll IQ checks all the time instead of perception checks for things like noticing the fact that a corpse has been lacerated vs. blown to bits with MDC weapons, or that there is a fold between MDC armor plating in the spider's skin (actually happened, and guess what, the Operator figured it out and killed a spider in one hit vs. the Headhunter with the Plasma Ejector taking three shots and darn near running out of ammo.)

Hrm...not sure I agree with that. Perception is perception, IQ is IQ. I've known a lot of smart people who would walk into traffic if they didn't have friends around to protect them.

Marrowlight
Knight

Wolff wrote:but certainly they'd notice the color, make, model, and reason the car that hit them did more readily, and put these facts together in more intelligent ways than someone with a low IQ. A character with an IQ of 4 is probably not going to notice a distinction in the blasts left by different types of weapons, for instance. Just look at CSI, they're some smart cookies.

If someone has an IQ of 4 they prolly won't even recognize what a car is.

And yes, those are smart people - but what they do would be more skill checks under the palladium system than raw intelligence (and I'm sure some of them get bonuses to their IQ).

Things like that I'd still mostly leave to peception rolls however...and character background. Truth be told, as smart as I am, I don't know very much about cars and couldn't name half of the models on the market today. While I hate to say it should be a lore check (though an argument could possibly made that it should) details like that I'd leave up more to character background than stats.

Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

That guy from Lone Star, one of the Pecos warlords, think his name was Orpheus the Titan wasn't he originally a single protector?
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Toc Rat wrote:I agree with KC that there are few to no towns with a "single Champion". Very much contrary to the blurbs given in the Rifts core book (ultimate or non) it seems a practical impossibility for any single "protector" to govern/protect a town. The romantisized notion given to us just doesn't work. Not even a Glitterboy could hope to stand alone against the many, many threats running amok on Rifts earth.

I will agree with the above completely.

However, there is the vague implication that some towns are protected by groups of champions.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Just because a book makes no mention of rain doesn't mean that it doesn't rain in the area that the book covers.

Hey man, no weather tables in Rifts equals no weather in Rifts. :fool:
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:Sure, if we ignore the rules then things can stay just like in the main book.

I presume you mean, "Ignore the rules after the first book." ;)
RainOfSteel
Champion

Marrowlight wrote:Technically everything is optional though, yes?

No. Buying PB books in huge quantities does not appear to be optional. Resistance is futile. You will comply.

Return to “Rifts®”