Slipstream Drive

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

dead thread walking......
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
This forum is of course the property of Palladium Books, and thus it's their ball-park.
They make the rules.
You want to talk about this stuff..much as it galls me to say it... you should do it over msn or some other forum.
Cuz Big Brother is under imperial edict to smite your sorry hiney if you so much as HINT about another intellectual property in here.
Thank GOD I live in canada where this isn't a big deal yet. But since PBooks.com is American, tread lightly young grass-jumper, tread lightly :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I have no idea what a slipstream drive is. If it's something that was invented for a particular science fiction show, then it certainly is not allowed, though if there was a real-world scientific basis for it, it might be tolerable (within limits).

By the name, I'd guess it was something that involved creating an area of reduced pressure in front of a vehicle, but how this would be relevant in the void of space I don't know...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

A Slipstream drive is from the Andromeda Ascendent series. I don't know the rules as well as the mods darkmax. I think talking about it is Ok, but trying to apply it to a Palladium game is a no no. It has to do with intellectual properties and companies like to keep their ideas separate from each other to avoid confusion. Yeah I know how are gamers like us going to get confused, but thems the rules and the law. It would be like trying to convert a marvel or DC character using Heroes Unlimited which is a big violation of the rules.

I realize your probably trying to make for an interesting discussion in this forum, but the mods are here to enforce the rules to protect Palladium. Sorry.

Mods if I have misspoken please correct me.

Thanks,

Carl
ImageImage
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Terribly sorry for the snarkiness.
But as one can tell, the whole IntProp thing is kinda tiring to me.
I understand its need, but american copy-right laws need some serious re-think...but it's not my place to change 'em and this forum IS Pall-Books ball-park.
We's gots to play by 'dere rulz!
OI!

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

darkmax wrote:BTW I live in Singapore.

Canadian prairies myself...

As for the slipstream drive...maybe.

It could loosly be described as a technological version of a TW rift drive.

Re-name (your version of) the drive and you might avoid the thread being killed.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Carl Gleba wrote:A Slipstream drive is from the Andromeda Ascendent series.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I remember the "slip portals" and all that now. That doesn't seem to be anything different than the rift drives that are already in the books, although the fictional science behind it is probably unique.

I don't know the rules as well as the mods darkmax. I think talking about it is Ok, but trying to apply it to a Palladium game is a no no.

Depends on what people are talking about, really. "Slipstream drive" and "warp drive" are meaningless on their own, but the latter at least is familiar to people (and probably trademarked). To some extent the drive systems in science fiction stories are based on real scientific principles, but there's usually some fictional component (e.g. Minovsky particles, Alice strings, etc.) which makes them somebody's property. I guess this will require a bit more digging...

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

So, the ship projects a "Slip-N-Slide" in front of it, and "skips" off that into 5th dimensional non-gravitic space? :crane:
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

acreRake wrote:So, the ship projects a "Slip-N-Slide" in front of it, and "skips" off that into 5th dimensional non-gravitic space? :crane:

Kinda makes me wonder what it must feel like when you hit a dry patch at full speed... :shock:
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Since it's been tossed around here a few times in the last few weeks, I thought I would clarify the Copyright rules for you all.

1) It is against the rules to post Palladium Books Game Statistics or post a link containing Palladium Books Game Statistics of material copywritten by anyone other than Palladium Books.

2) It is against the rules to make posts encouraging the unauthorized distribution of copywritten works (Palladium or otherwise) or to post a link to a site encouraging the unauthorized distribution of copywritten works.

3) It is against the rules to solicit either of the above.

4) It is allowed to discuss other's copywritten material and the inspiration it may have on your games provided you do not break the above rules.

NOTE on Robotech, Macross II and TMNT: Because the licence on those properties has expired, they must be treated as belonging to another company.

Thanks.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:
acreRake wrote:So, the ship projects a "Slip-N-Slide" in front of it, and "skips" off that into 5th dimensional non-gravitic space? :crane:

Kinda makes me wonder what it must feel like when you hit a dry patch at full speed... :shock:

Don't go there... :?

:lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the equivalent of Slip streaming in AU is quantum ribbon riding. ... which they have rules for in AU Galaxy Guide, but no ships capable of doing itas their only method ( but they say you need 100cubic feet and 10 spaces) to install a hypergravitic Generator....
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

yes, quantum Ribon riding is in the rule book for AU Galaxy Guide.
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Actually, The "Warp" drive has been theoretically independant of the Company/series for which it is widely known. Additionally, I find it a suitible explanation for the Gravitonic drive, as that drive would use it's gravity-affecting properties to warp the space time around the vessel in the ways needed/ As for your "Slip-strem" drive, I am not familiar with it.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

darkmax wrote:
Malakai wrote:Actually, The "Warp" drive has been theoretically independant of the Company/series for which it is widely known. Additionally, I find it a suitible explanation for the Gravitonic drive, as that drive would use it's gravity-affecting properties to warp the space time around the vessel in the ways needed/ As for your "Slip-strem" drive, I am not familiar with it.

Warp as a word is not a patented term, but I'm not so sure of the term Warp Drive, Warp Factor, etc.

Meh, I think we've beaten the dead horse enough. If you want to be really careful and not step on any hypothetical toes, just call them Alcubierre drive or Hyper-drive and you'll be perfectly safe. ;)

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Correct me if i am Wrong. Isn't Slip stream a retrofited model of starlanes. if that is so, Slip stream would be a dimension off set allowing someone to open a hole from normal space to enter it, therefore mapping of the slip would be required in order to plot accurate coordinates. Jus ta thought.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Starlane theory usually has something to do with the connection of two large gravity wells. Usually a couple of stars set up as kind of a natural jumpoint between starsystems. mostly travel between stars would have to be made from specific locations and such kind of like a web.

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

No, direct connection Via wormhole networks, all of which connected only through the gravitational influence in the vecinity of a star or star system

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”