This may seem a bit silly but...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Heat - Impervious.

Magma/Lava - Impervious....though they could still drown in lava (that is if they need to breathe, IIRC they do, though I may be wrong).

The Sun - Tough call, I'd say "Not Impervious" though due to the nuclear process inwhich the Sun generates light, heat, etc.

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Would that make them immune to lasers and plasma attacks as well? Yeah not really a Palladium question.....but it just kinda struck me all of a sudden.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Marrowlight wrote:Would that make them immune to lasers and plasma attacks as well? Yeah not really a Palladium question.....but it just kinda struck me all of a sudden.

offically, plasma is considered a "fire and heat" attack, lasers are not.

and yes, Fire dragons are immune to lava and the sun.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Would that make them immune to lasers and plasma attacks as well? Yeah not really a Palladium question.....but it just kinda struck me all of a sudden.

offically, plasma is considered a "fire and heat" attack, lasers are not.

and yes, Fire dragons are immune to lava and the sun.

Well, except the core of the sun. That's nuclear fusion. But if a dragon finds itself in the core of the sun, I think it has bigger things to worry about. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

yeah like the 250 billion atmospheres of pressure..
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Don't stars also give off antimatter? So I doubt that a fire dragon is immue to the effects of a matter antimatter collision.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:Don't stars also give off antimatter?

No.

M/AM reactions give off a large amount of gamma rays. Last I heard stars don't emit much in the way there-of.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

I would say that they may be able to chill out near a star or maybe even in the surface regions. Going far inside is defintely out.. While the surface of our sun is about 6,000°C, the center is upwards of 15,000,000°C; by comparison, lava, when first exuded from a volcanic vent, is typically from 700 to 1200°C.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I know that cosmic threads are supposed to, in theary emit anti-matter. Wonder what the effects would be if a black hole and a cosmit thread were to ever meet. True, the chances of that happening are slim to none, however it would be rather neat to obserb, but from the maximum reach of the hubble space telescope! I'm really not that interested in knowing what the would happen if it happened close up!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Stellar fusion reactions don't usually produce any excess antimatter, although positrons are created by certain steps in the reaction. They never survive long in there, though, and quickly annihilate with electrons to form gamma rays.

Free antimatter tends to get produced by other high energy processes, like the accretion disks around neutron stars and black holes (a relatively high percentage of the material in the jets created by these objects is antimatter).

I honestly don't have a clue what an encounter between a black hole and a cosmic string would be like. Primordial spacetime defect vs. stellar singularity... maybe it'd snip the string in two? :lol:

None of these are terribly dragon-friendly environments. I imagine as long as the pressure doesn't get too high, dragons are fine with heat up until the point where the matter making up their bodies starts undergoing fusion. :D
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the Anime Stellvia and the Lost Universe... A quantum ribbon that hit a supernova creates a wave of Energy that nullifies a huge part of the universe... they only negate it through the help of aliens they encounter in warp space.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Lasers are heat based so Id say lasers should not hurt them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

runebeo wrote:Lasers are heat based so Id say lasers should not hurt them.

Lasers are only heat based if they are IR lasers, even then they are still just light. I'll go with the book rules that lasers don't hurt Fire Dragons.

As for the anitimater talk....in space there are spontainiusly formed quantum pairs of matter& anti-matter which interacte for a time then recombin into nothing. However, for some reason Small black holes, small meaning not much mass, attract the a/m side of the pair mor then the matter side thus the matter side of the pair forms particuler radiation away from the BH while the AM side of the pair get sucked into the BH shrinking its mass just a tiny bit. And over time the BH's mass evaporates.

Well That is what I've picked up from reading sci-fi novels. *shrugs*

Another thing, it is throrized that matter has information in it telling what it is, and if you change that information you could turn matter into anti-matter on a wholesale rate.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Sikulak wrote:can't really add much to the cosmic thread antimatter stuff but i think the gravity on the stars surface would be a problem for the dragon as well, and also they may have trouble breathing cause i'm not sure of their actual atmosphere. also, i'd reason that even though they're immune to fire the sheer heat may not agree with their bodies chemistry and the molecules that much it up.

they're immune ot any level of fire and heat.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Who owns a laser in Palladium?
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

drewkitty wrote:
runebeo wrote:Lasers are heat based so Id say lasers should not hurt them.

Lasers are only heat based if they are IR lasers, even then they are still just light. I'll go with the book rules that lasers don't hurt Fire Dragons.

Actually, most weaponized lasers rely on thermal effects to do their damage, IRL anyway. Until you start playing with UV lasers... those are nasty, going straight for the molecular bonds. :lol:

I imagine lasers, in Palladium, are considered 'energy damage' as opposed to 'heat damage', though. :)

However, for some reason Small black holes, small meaning not much mass, attract the a/m side of the pair mor then the matter side thus the matter side of the pair forms particuler radiation away from the BH while the AM side of the pair get sucked into the BH shrinking its mass just a tiny bit. And over time the BH's mass evaporates.

Well That is what I've picked up from reading sci-fi novels. *shrugs*

This is known (or well, theorized) as Hawking radiation, as thought up by you-know-who. :D The black holes actually have no preference over the matter or antimatter partner of a virtual pair, at least not to my knowledge. It should just spit them out in relatively equal amounts, with the black hole losing mass either way (antimatter still has 'positive mass', just like regular matter).

Another thing, it is throrized that matter has information in it telling what it is, and if you change that information you could turn matter into anti-matter on a wholesale rate.

Sounds like someone's been reading The Anvil of Stars. Mmm, noach weapons... :D

Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

For Fire Dragons, as far as my views go;
Heat = No effect
Lava = Half damage
Sun = Still tosted dragon crisps

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Lightning bolt = 5x surface of sun temperature...
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Alejandro wrote:Considering how incredibly wonky the physics of Palladium are and the way the rules are written it's best to say that they are immune to any creatabe heat temperature.

Plasma rifle and flame spells? Yeah, immune.

Stellar level heat such as atmospheric re-entry or stars? Roasted dragon, table 4.

Immune means Immune. No exceptions. otherwise it wouldn't be immune in the first place.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”