Phase World line of books

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

'cause Chaos Earth and Phase World are different settings entirely?

As for why PW is part of the Dimension Book line and not its own line, I'd imagine a large part of that is because it has had so many different writers and at different period of times. If UWW comes out that will be what, the fourth writer in what is essentially five Phase World Specific books? (Six once Carl's new one comes out)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

darkmax wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:'cause Chaos Earth and Phase World are different settings entirely?

As for why PW is part of the Dimension Book line and not its own line, I'd imagine a large part of that is because it has had so many different writers and at different period of times. If UWW comes out that will be what, the fourth writer in what is essentially five Phase World Specific books? (Six once Carl's new one comes out)

I know what you mean, but It seems to warrant an individual setting on its own. After all, there are very few similarities now between the two, except for ley lines, nexus and the Splurgorths......

If you ever get a chance to read the intro to Wormwood, it gives a pretty fair concept as to what the Dimension Books are supposed to be. Phase World, even with all the books it has and the connection through the Mercenaries Book, still fits in the Dimenion Book line pretty well.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I agree too that it should be its own "line" like chaos earth or BTS2. But lets face it. It is a dimension book, that just happen to launch on its own.

Carl
ImageImage
Marrowlight
Knight

Carl Gleba wrote:I agree too that it should be its own "line" like chaos earth or BTS2. But lets face it. It is a dimension book, that just happen to launch on its own.

Carl

Hush you :D

Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Because when Wormwood and Phase World were first released, they were tied into the Rifts line to help ensure sales. Fans would be more likely to buy a new "RIfts" product, rather than take a gamble on an entirely new game line, which may or may not suck.

In some cases, I think this might have been a bad idea. Wormwood is so screwed up by its rifts connection that it really needs to be released in a version 2.0 that is all SDC. And with the expanding successes of Phase World, the "Mechanoids Space" Universe seems redundant... we already have one space opera setting, why come up with another?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

why should it be broken off into it's own line?

it'd make absolutly no difference.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Marrowlight
Knight

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Because when Wormwood and Phase World were first released, they were tied into the Rifts line to help ensure sales. Fans would be more likely to buy a new "RIfts" product, rather than take a gamble on an entirely new game line, which may or may not suck.

In some cases, I think this might have been a bad idea. Wormwood is so screwed up by its rifts connection that it really needs to be released in a version 2.0 that is all SDC. And with the expanding successes of Phase World, the "Mechanoids Space" Universe seems redundant... we already have one space opera setting, why come up with another?

Wasn't Mechanoids Space more of a survive if you dare sci fi game, while Phase World was more straight up Space Opera?

Marrowlight
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:why should it be broken off into it's own line?

Biggest difference I could see would be the ability to get away from MDC - which would definitely be a benefit for Wormwood, as Braden said.

Braden Campbell

In an SDC setting, the Unholy inflicts 2D6x10+45 points of damage when he hits you with his corrupted sceptre...

And a Rumbler can have several thousand SDC/HP, making it the equivilent of a Middle Earth Troll...

:demon:

Now THAT's a fantasy game!
Braden, GMPhD

Marrowlight
Knight

Braden, GMPhD wrote:In an SDC setting, the Unholy inflicts 2D6x10+45 points of damage when he hits you with his corrupted sceptre...

And a Rumbler can have several thousand SDC/HP, making it the equivilent of a Middle Earth Troll...

:demon:

Now THAT's a fantasy game!

Hey question - how much of your Rifter submission deals with what's going on on the surface of Wormwood? I was doing some re-reading and I was pretty unhappy with how a lot of the setting was portrayed. Or at least the political structure of it.

Carl Gleba

If you count the "true" number of dimension books there are three. Worm Wood, Phase World, and Skyrapers. Of the five remaining four support phase world and well Megaverse Builder is in a clase by itself.

IMO with that much support it warrents its own line.

Carl
ImageImage
Marrowlight
Knight

Carl Gleba wrote:

If you count the "true" number of dimension books there are three. Worm Wood, Phase World, and Skyrapers. Of the five remaining four support phase world and well Megaverse Builder is in a clase by itself.

Carl

But how much more support can it really look forward to? Palladium has enough lines with no real prospects for more books. If someone said "yeah I'll be making at least five more wormwood or phase world or skrayper books in the next six years" I could see it being worth a revision and re-release as its own line. But if we'd split it off into its own line and then it gets one, maybe two more books in the next decade it just doesn't seem worth the re-release/split.

Braden Campbell

I will be pitching a Wormwood update... a big one in terms of page count... but that would be the end of the line (so to speak). I would like to envision a Wormwood Book that has everythng you would ever need in it, and is as thick as Palladium Fantsasy's Main Book (never happen I know, but that is the dream).

At the Open House, I'll be sure to get Kevin S's ear.
Braden, GMPhD

Marrowlight
Knight

Braden, GMPhD wrote:I will be pitching a Wormwood update... a big one in terms of page count... but that would be the end of the line (so to speak). I would like to envision a Wormwood Book that has everythng you would ever need in it, and is as thick as Palladium Fantsasy's Main Book (never happen I know, but that is the dream).

At the Open House, I'll be sure to get Kevin S's ear.

Hm, mind if I ask some questions in open or should I save them for a PM?

Braden Campbell

Go ahead. No one but us here right now, it seems....
Braden, GMPhD

Marrowlight
Knight

Mostly I'm curious on how you plan to tackle the motivation for the Unholy (which comes off as seriously WEAK in the original book) and the set up of the Forces of Light, especially the Knights of the Temple and the Church (which were both really....too stereotypical and bland.....in my eyes) along with the development of some of the other Knightly Orders.

Braden Campbell

Going to move this to a new thread...
Braden, GMPhD

Marrowlight
Knight

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Going to move this to a new thread...

KK, prolly for the best. :D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Carl Gleba wrote:

Carl

how so? even if you take Rifts out of the title, it's still the EXSACT same game.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Carl Gleba

Well I suppose its all how we view it eh? It seems from Nekira's and darkmax's point of view its just Rifts with a twist. Its Rifts in space. Ok, sure, but thats not the way I see it. Phase World is a space opera setting that could have games just in it alone. While I see Rifts as the ultimate starting point for any adventure. Your game can be just based on Rifts Earth where there is so much stuff out for it that it could keep you occupied for years, or you have the option of going to multiple dimensions that run the gambit. I see all of Palladium's lines as "potential" dimension books when I play. So if I wanted to I could send my Rifts group to HU to fight along supers in one game, and then end up in Palladium Fantasy trying to stave off the old ones. Done both by the way.

So I guess it all depends on a certain point of view.

Carl
ImageImage
Marrowlight
Knight

Carl Gleba wrote:Well I suppose its all how we view it eh? It seems from Nekira's and darkmax's point of view its just Rifts with a twist. Its Rifts in space. Ok, sure, but thats not the way I see it. Phase World is a space opera setting that could have games just in it alone. While I see Rifts as the ultimate starting point for any adventure. Your game can be just based on Rifts Earth where there is so much stuff out for it that it could keep you occupied for years, or you have the option of going to multiple dimensions that run the gambit. I see all of Palladium's lines as "potential" dimension books when I play. So if I wanted to I could send my Rifts group to HU to fight along supers in one game, and then end up in Palladium Fantasy trying to stave off the old ones. Done both by the way.

Carl

Hrm, with that said I fail to see why you'd want it as its own line since you treat other lines as dimension books anyway.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Carl Gleba wrote:Well I suppose its all how we view it eh? It seems from Nekira's and darkmax's point of view its just Rifts with a twist. Its Rifts in space. Ok, sure, but thats not the way I see it. Phase World is a space opera setting that could have games just in it alone. While I see Rifts as the ultimate starting point for any adventure. Your game can be just based on Rifts Earth where there is so much stuff out for it that it could keep you occupied for years, or you have the option of going to multiple dimensions that run the gambit. I see all of Palladium's lines as "potential" dimension books when I play. So if I wanted to I could send my Rifts group to HU to fight along supers in one game, and then end up in Palladium Fantasy trying to stave off the old ones. Done both by the way.

Carl

You misunderstand my point of view.

it seems to me, what you want to do is, basically, take Rifts out of the title and have it called "Phase World"

then you want to put basic character creation rules in the front of the book with skills.

then...what? seems to me that's all you say you want to do, in which case I see no point.

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Just a wild idea(?), that one guy GMing hinted, that
the Demon Stars are the creation of the Unholy...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Just a quick aside. The point of this thread is getting muddled and people are starting to contradict themselves, or completely igone points (valid ones too, both pro & con) and just keep contradicting the other person for the sake of being contrary.
Sorry...not flaming anyone here, just my head hurts trying to make heads or tails of any of the debates/arguments in this thread. :frust:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Carl Gleba

KLM wrote:Just a wild idea(?), that one guy GMing hinted, that
the Demon Stars are the creation of the Unholy...

Adios
KLM

Interesting...never saw that one coming!

Carl
ImageImage
Marrowlight
Knight

DhAkael wrote:Just a quick aside. The point of this thread is getting muddled and people are starting to contradict themselves, or completely igone points (valid ones too, both pro & con) and just keep contradicting the other person for the sake of being contrary.
Sorry...not flaming anyone here, just my head hurts trying to make heads or tails of any of the debates/arguments in this thread. :frust:

Isn't that pretty much how the boards operate around here though?

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Marrowlight wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Just a quick aside. The point of this thread is getting muddled and people are starting to contradict themselves, or completely igone points (valid ones too, both pro & con) and just keep contradicting the other person for the sake of being contrary.

Isn't that pretty much how the boards operate around here though?

Not always... there are times when people actulay can 'consensus' on thread-topics, or have intelligent debates & discourse. Unfortunately there are a number of individuals that have oozed up from the cracks recently that don't bloody well bother to read what they're responding to. They just shoot off their mouths and be contentious becuase they know they won't have reprisals (like having their teeth kicked in; some of the reply-posts in here would end in brawls if they were discussions in bars, or heck, coffee houses).
Sad really, because I do enjoy reading, replying and posting to these forums, and there are (mostly) decently intelligent people on the PCF's :ok:

Not naming names for either type. That would be telling :P

Sorry... off-topic rant ended :-?

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

darkmax wrote:You mean people like me? Hmm... I seem to recall I started this thread.....
nah... you started the thread, but at least you've been civil (well, as civil as anyone else in here can be). 8-)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Marrowlight
Knight

darkmax wrote:You mean people like me? Hmm... I seem to recall I started this thread.....

Since I'm the only new poster in this thread it seems pretty obvious who he meant. But no big, we're all entitled to our opinions.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darkmax wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
nah... you started the thread, but at least you've been civil (well, as civil as anyone else in here can be). 8-)

Thanks..... ** blush***

don't be too thankful. saying your civil for this forum is like thanking a bull for only ruining one shelf of antique china :D

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

darkmax wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:don't be too thankful. saying your civil for this forum is like thanking a bull for only ruining one shelf of antique china :D

I'm not one for being uncivil, but it can always change. There are times when everyone, including you, post in anger or ignorance.

Preaching to the choir here :D
There are times when I make Dennis Leary seem like a model of restraint :twisted:
Though I do try and keep my rants down to one every other week. :ok:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”