Optic systems skill.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Optic systems skill.

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Do you need the optic systems skill to use the targeting systems on guns to get the bonus to strike.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Optic systems skill.

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

(SHIFTY) wrote:Do you need the optic systems skill to use the targeting systems on guns to get the bonus to strike.

The books never say either way.
Personally, I don't think you need that skill for targeting systems (although I do require it to use infra or thermo scopes effectively).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:Do you need the optic systems skill to use the targeting systems on guns to get the bonus to strike.

Personally, I don't think you need that skill for targeting systems (although I do require it to use infra or thermo scopes effectively).

on a slight side note, how do you work such systems. Do the characters just make the sensor roll and they see everyone within range within reason. Does it completely negate prowling? Or how does it effect the Perception Test it seems everyone here is so fond of using?
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

on a slight side note, how do you work such systems. Do the characters just make the sensor roll and they see everyone within range within reason. Does it completely negate prowling? Or how does it effect the Perception Test it seems everyone here is so fond of using?

I say that it only negates prowling if the prowler is trying to use darkness/night as cover and/or is unaware of the specialty optics being applied.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

CaptRory wrote:Wouldn't you have to get lucky and point it at the person sneaking around? I'd apply a penalty to prowling if the prowler wasn't aware that someone there was using equipment and didn't declare he was taking special care to avoid ending up in the LOS of the scope. Now if you spun around real fast in random patterns it'd make avoiding detection almost impossible on the end of the prowler but the person using the equipment would miss a lot and a systematic sweep would make it easy to avoid if it were only one person searching.

see this is the point I was eventually getting to. PB needs a workable and realistic Perception system. The use of advanced optics does not instantly defeat prowling, simply because of what CaptRory said. Your looking for one person in a possibly large area. Now they certainly would help and help alot, but PB needs rules/mechanics for the task.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I've always felt that this should be a mandatory skill for high-tech PC's. I have not used it in my games yet, but I plan to use it in my new game that will be starting this weekend.

I will post the results, and just how I put the skill to use in the game.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I would say you need the Optics systems skill to repair the device, properly mount it and, in the cases of some of the more complex systems, operate it properly.

You'ld also use the skill to recognize various types of optic systems and their capabilities.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I'd say that for vehicle weapons, the use of the related targeting systems would be automatically rolled into the Weapon Systems skill and for small arms the use of scopes and laser targeting would be automatically incorperated into their respective WP's.

The Optics Systems skill is mainly used for video communications, and as such would enable the skill's possesser to know how to use related systems if the character has the approprieate Weapon Systems or WP skills, though he would not get any bonuses to hit anything.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Unread post by Guest »

Dead Boy wrote:

I'd say that for vehicle weapons, the use of the related targeting systems would be automatically rolled into the Weapon Systems skill and for small arms the use of scopes and laser targeting would be automatically incorperated into their respective WP's.
Scopes and laser targeting are covered under Optic Systems.

The Optics Systems skill is mainly used for video communications, and as such would enable the skill's possesser to know how to use related systems if the character has the approprieate Weapon Systems or WP skills, though he would not get any bonuses to hit anything.
Actually it's used for any "special optical enhancement equipment."
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

If the weapon is covered under a weapon proffeciency then no he would not need the skill to get any bonuses listed in a weapons description. If the weapon is part of a vehicle mounted weapons system then its GMs call.
:fool:

Return to “Rifts®”