Missing Ship Item Prices

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

devillin
Adventurer

Missing Ship Item Prices

Unread post by devillin »

My group is looking to modify and repair their ships. After much searching, I was able to finally find the prices for star drives in the Three Galaxies sourcebook (the most useful of the Phase World sourcebooks, thanks Carl). Of course this was after they had already bought a drive. They are very upset now because they paid 10 million credits more than the list price. So here's my question, does anyone know what the list prices are for ship computer cores, life support systems, power generators, standard shields, and variable shields? Just, looking for some guidelines here.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

It would be nice to see ship construction rules too.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

The best thing I can suggest is that you take an existing ship "template", and try to break it down.

I have tried to come up with rules to cover all of this, but the big problem is that the existing Phase World ships don't really follow any discernable pattern; they didn't follow any kind of creation rules (and if they did I'd love to see them).
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..This is a big reason why I prefer Aliens Unlimited; the Ship Construction Rules in the Galaxy Guide are excellent, and actually make sense, despite BC's meddling.

..I was pulling my hair out over the ships in PW when I went to design my own and discovered no rhyme or reason between their pricing and features...

:x

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Actually the Aliens Unlimited is not as bad as the Galaxy Guide. That one seems to pull the numbers out of the their nether regions. And the weight problem they show there is totally wrong. Like the one ship...... I beleive it is a Battleship. It is 5000 feet long and it weighs in at 5000 tons. Excuse me! What sort of material are those ships made of.....butter. No wait butter is denser than that. Think about this most ships will weigh in at something like..........64 tons per foot. This is based on the Iowa class of battleships. Spaceships, especially Warships are going to be at least that sort of weight.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Aramanthus wrote:Actually the Aliens Unlimited is not as bad as the Galaxy Guide. That one seems to pull the numbers out of the their nether regions. And the weight problem they show there is totally wrong. Like the one ship...... I beleive it is a Battleship. It is 5000 feet long and it weighs in at 5000 tons. Excuse me! What sort of material are those ships made of.....butter. No wait butter is denser than that. Think about this most ships will weigh in at something like..........64 tons per foot. This is based on the Iowa class of battleships. Spaceships, especially Warships are going to be at least that sort of weight.

..That's BC's Meddling, and as I said, despite those points they are excellent rules. There is consistancy.

..Wayne left room for the abstract with his rules; unless you're buying space for storage, the space each module takes up varies; this compensates for only having one dimension given in the process (1 foot of length for every ton of ship).

..Tonnage isn't really a necessary measurement for space anyway. The propulsion systems aren't real, so you can't do the math to figure out whether or not they'd work for a ship of "x" tonnage anyway.

..Tonnage to feet is one problem with the rules. The ships on Phase World haven't got a single consistant feature between them.

..That's mmy point and it's still valid.

-Miek >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:The best thing I can suggest is that you take an existing ship "template", and try to break it down.

I have tried to come up with rules to cover all of this, but the big problem is that the existing Phase World ships don't really follow any discernable pattern; they didn't follow any kind of creation rules (and if they did I'd love to see them).

Heeyyyyyyy..........
Wait a second.
Didnt you write a phase world book?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Well, anyway, not too long ago we had a thread here about cost of repairing armor and such on ships. I think that same thread also had some ideas for purchase price of components.
I'll have to search and get back to you.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually I do have some method to my madness. I am familiar with naval construction technique. I use that when I build any of my own designs. So I do not use the screwy Galaxy guide for construction. I may use systems out of it, which I would be silly not too. I use every resource for designing my ships.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Shorty Lickens wrote:Well, anyway, not too long ago we had a thread here about cost of repairing armor and such on ships. I think that same thread also had some ideas for purchase price of components.
I'll have to search and get back to you.

What kind of price did you come up with for armors? Right now I have two different grades: Freighter grade which sells at 8000 per 10 MDC and Warship grade at 40,000 per 10 MDC; as per standard armor repair rates. If the ship started with freighter grade armor, they rip it off and replace it with 5x as much warship armor. My group is looking at upgrading a REF Garfish to Phase World standard armor and engines, so far they're up to 40Mcr. It's a whole new world for us. We're used to thinking of purchasing things in a Rifts Earth scale, where a 5Mcr purchase is major, versus a PW scale where a 5Mcr purchase is Wednesday's lunch.

Funny thing is, I've found that a lot of prices from MegaTraveller work perfectly. Unfortunately, even with that, the prices don't line up.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

I think the 5000 ton number is just a class .. i think said ship is actually 50,000 tons ...
Aramanthus
Monk

No I know my copy says 5000 tons.

HH....FIE
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the text refers that all the ship tonnes are just Classification purposes. It says Big ships 1 ton = 10 tons in actual tonnage.
Aramanthus
Monk

That still is way too light for something of a Battleship. I don't want an argument. It really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to use or recognize their designs. They are very lame as far as I am concerned.
I'll use my own designs or those I read from online that I feel are of a decent space naval design.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”