Phase World Question

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

atheist cleric

Phase World Question

Unread post by atheist cleric »

I'm going to be starting a Phase World campaign soon, and I have a question. From what I understand, Naruni weapons are pretty commonplace. Even a Naruni pistol does 1d4x10 mdc per shot. How do I keep the players from getting killed in two or three lucky shots?
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That and talking first is always a good point too. Learning to run really really fast sometimes helps, especially if you can round a corner in Center before the enemy in question shoots.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Phase World Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

atheist cleric wrote:I'm going to be starting a Phase World campaign soon, and I have a question. From what I understand, Naruni weapons are pretty commonplace. Even a Naruni pistol does 1d4x10 mdc per shot. How do I keep the players from getting killed in two or three lucky shots?

Realize that Naruni is NOT commonplace. they are TOP OF THE LINE, name brand, expensive brand, the kind only the rich kids have.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

As Nekira said, they are top of the line, but HI-Lasers (which are said to be "open source" technology) are FAR more common.

NE stuff will be used heavily by rich mercenaries and pirates, governmental Special Forces Units, and Naruni Corporate Security.

Its like speakers: I want BOSE speakers... but since they cost an arm and a leg, I will settle for something cheaper that does the job, bought at my local RadioShack.

And remember, based on our number crunching, every minute in Center 20 people die: that's 5 people a melee (or one PC group). Yes, most everyone is armed with something, but in the less civilized portions of the Phase World setting (which is almost all of it) pulling attitude or whipping out your gun at the first sign of trouble gets you killed. Mercilessly.
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

If someone was pointing one of those big honking guns at me I'd dive for the nearest cover. Heck, most people dive for cover when its any kind of gun. Armor is just a deterent, not a save all.

Players should play smart and realize that its not a coin operated video game where if they die they can put in another quarter and make a new character.

Carl
ImageImage
Braden Campbell

That's right.

Paper costs 2 cents a sheet.

Really. My group worked it out once.
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

And what about the graphite used to create a character? How much does this cost. :lol: Just kidding! The players should play smart, if they don't. Then it's your job as the Gm to kick their butts. And if their characters survive, then hopefully they learned a lesson.
Last edited by Aramanthus on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Anonymous Freak
D-Bee

Unread post by Anonymous Freak »

And the wear and tear on dice? :lol:
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

darkmax wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:If someone was pointing one of those big honking guns at me I'd dive for the nearest cover. Heck, most people dive for cover when its any kind of gun. Armor is just a deterent, not a save all.

Players should play smart and realize that its not a coin operated video game where if they die they can put in another quarter and make a new character.

Carl

Hmm... that's the conventional logic. If the attacker is much taller than you, wouldn't it be better to dodge under him? And possibly come out facing his back and get a chance to blast him? If he is the same size, dodge forward and try to knock him/her down. It will take a while for the aggressor to react as he is most likely stunned.

But than again, I am a player who prefers to take calculated risk.

Thats just a gut reaction (my post) for the situation. Yeah as a role player you could do all kinds of things which depends on a lot of factors. O.C.C./R.C.C. what makes up the surroundings, how big the guy with the gun is ect.

I'm playing a crazy in a friends game and we were trying to get away on a hover bike from this power armor that was attacking us and other members of our party. I turned the bike towards the power armor (it was a home brew version that the GM came up with) and before it could fire on me I rammed my rifle down the barrel of its much larger cannon. Well there was a big explosion taking out the cannon and I broke most of the bones in the crazy's hand. I figured a crazy would pull a stunt like that while the other players were trying to actively dodge. So yes it does depend on the situation and what you're playing as a character.

Carl
ImageImage
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Have your players create multiple backup characters, armed with force fields Naruni weapons and a quick trigger finger. Not to mention a total disregard for personal safety. The three galaxies are a dangerous place
Braden Campbell

Greyaxe wrote:...multiple backup characters, armed with force fields, Naruni weapons, and a quick trigger finger. Not to mention a total disregard for personal safety....

Sounds about right.

Hmmm. You must be one of my current players...

;)
Braden, GMPhD

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”