FTL Space Suit

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

FTL Space Suit

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

A long time ago during my lurkerdom, I saw mention of a space suit capable of FTL speeds in Anvil Galaxy. Either it doesn't exist and I didn't miss it or it does and I keep looking over it as I search the book. Any help?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Anvil Galaxy, page 96, left hand column....It's mentioned in passing in a discussion of other monolithic/monopolistic galactic corporations...Ganymede Gosystems is presented as the major dealer in (commercial) personal transportation systems, and the FTL spacesuit can go 25 lightyears on its own...nothing more is said about this, but I'm presuming this thing is expensive..

Try also looking at HU: Aliens Unlimited books...they mention, among other technologies that can be applied to PhaseWorld, Anti-Grav suits and medallions that can take a person from surface to space..,,,great for fast getaways or covert planetary drops....Though presumably, most major Three Galaxies' worlds have air traffic control nets that can pick up the emiisions of a personal A-G unit, and vector a patrol craft(or vaporize the offending object) with a defense laser...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

If a standard suit has a 6 hour oxygen supply, and the "Go-suit" can travel for 25 light years....

then this thing can travel at 5 light years per hour! :eek:

There are starships that can't go that fast.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Probably not that fast, but the bugger would definitely more power armor-scaled, for the extended life support, batteries/powerplant, probably some sort of waste recycling, a communication rig(at the very least you'd want a transponder so starports and starships on the arriving end don't mistake you for a meteorite and pot you with the anti-debris gear, and navigation...This thing is definitely a miracle of minuaturization and likely only affordable to uber-rich who want the ultimate last-resort lifeboat, or just plain like taking insane risks(like George Banson)....leave a copy of your will in safe hands before you go jaunting off to Alpha Centauri on a walk 'around the block'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
steelvoid

Unread post by steelvoid »

Ok I thought I would mention that there are a few ftl speed space spells, now I'm not clear on all the rules but wouldn't it be possible for a techno-wizard to......

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”