california

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: california

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Wolff wrote:Are there any books out there that deal with what is generally referred to vaguely as the wilderness beyond the Rocky Mountains?

If not... Why not?

EDIT
Haha... just thought about it- Rifts: Las Vegas....!
New west and spirit west have some useful information i think as for rifts vegas sure it you want to stand digging in 100+ degree days in baked dirt
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!

Unread post by Guest »

Wolff wrote:Are there any books out there that deal with what is generally referred to vaguely as the wilderness beyond the Rocky Mountains?

^
If not... Why not?
No, there isn't, and you already answered your own question above.

EDIT
Haha... just thought about it- Rifts: Las Vegas....!
It's already being worked on.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

If not... Why not?

Because it's wilderness.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

If not... Why not?

Because it's wilderness.

For now.

muahahahahah!

Personally I hope it stays wilderness, but you never know.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

Nothing officially done, though there was a big "forum netbook project" on it a couple of years back. I understand one person's addition to that (Oregon) is being sent in to the Rifter.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it's in already, but no word yet.

most likely the 2006 rifters are already planned out due to the 25th anniversary stuff, and i'll get my chance in '07
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Slag wrote:Nothing officially done, though there was a big "forum netbook project" on it a couple of years back. I understand one person's addition to that (Oregon) is being sent in to the Rifter.

There's one more being worked on by another guy as well from that same project. I shelved my Waterpoint Preserve for now, but I don't think it would take much to clean it up and send it in if the desire hit me.

Hopefully glitterboy2098's article gets printed.
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

I'm strongly considering remaking the LA Basin islands myself.

We might even consider re-establishing TFNP and pitching a WB idea to Kev. :D

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

you'd have to accept the stuff us orginal TFNP'ers developed.

so half of Cali gets flooded in an inland sea, the coast is overrun not only by weird alien life, but lots of ancient mammals and birds, ect.

also, san fransisco would be off limits, due to Pacifica....

:)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Slag wrote:I'm strongly considering remaking the LA Basin islands myself.

Well, I don't want to deflate any idea's, but there's already at least one entry on the LA area already submitted to the Rifter.
You may actually recall it...it was the article from zor_prime and breetai9 worked on back in the old Think Tank days.
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Well, I don't want to deflate any idea's, but there's already at least one entry on the LA area already submitted to the Rifter.
You may actually recall it...it was the article from zor_prime and breetai9 worked on back in the old Think Tank days.

I sure hope they did it before MY Think Tank stuff on that! :x

Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Im a CA native. I would love to see a would book on the west cost. I just what to see the writer correct the mistake about our cental valley. The majority of the area is under 100ft in elevation. So it should have reverted back to being a shallow inland sea instead of a deasert area. Also having SF laid to rubble would make me happy, even if it was just fiction. :twisted: :lol:
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Slag wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

I sure hope they did it before MY Think Tank stuff on that! :x

Well zor wasn't involved IIRC with that project, and he sure as heck wouldn't steal anyone's idea if that's your concern, so I wouldn't worry to much.
EDIT: And basically all I was saying is that someone has already made a submission for that area.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i only remember two articles on LA from the tank.

the first was TFNP, Hellwood, which had part of a rruined LA as an island overrun with ghosts and spirits, that had taken on the persona's of characters/villans/actors from major movies. like Escape from LA, only spookier and with cornier characters.

the other was a referance from some other members about a 'location' article setting up a group of small kingdoms around a bay that covered old LA.

IIRC, nothing i heard of either makes them mutually exclusive.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i only remember two articles on LA from the tank.

the first was TFNP, Hellwood, which had part of a rruined LA as an island overrun with ghosts and spirits, that had taken on the persona's of characters/villans/actors from major movies. like Escape from LA, only spookier and with cornier characters.

the other was a referance from some other members about a 'location' article setting up a group of small kingdoms around a bay that covered old LA.

IIRC, nothing i heard of either makes them mutually exclusive.

The former was mine. I'd divided the LA area into a bunch of little islands, each with a unique and frightening horror within. There was one small Rifted refugee camp on Catalina and a Beast Dragon at Laguna, but otherwise no living occupants. Hell World (Hollywood) was the island with the entities assuming the roles of beloved stars and characters, unable in their alien little minds to discern between real memories and emotions and "fake" ones from fiction.

As for how a bunch of small kingdoms are going to survive in the state of near-continuous ley line storms the Canon describes, that is beyond me! :P

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Dr. Hellstromme wrote:Am I just paranoid, or everybody wants to see his home town preserved and prospering after the rifts? :evil:

I'm pretty sure my hometown is underwater...but if not it would be cool to see what someone would come up with for it (Williamsburg, Virginia being my hometown).

As for the city I live in, I was rather disappointed with how it was done both in Chaos Earth and Rifts (no offense Yoho). But that's what happens when non-residents write about a place, they really just don't understand. It can still be good, but it won't feel right.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Dr. Hellstromme wrote:Am I just paranoid, or everybody wants to see his home town preserved and prospering after the rifts? :evil:

My home town (Caldwell, Kansas, population 2500) will be a ghost town... I doubt there will even be foundations by 109.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

It's not technically my hometown, but I do take perverse pleasure in the knowledge that one of the towns I grew up in will be over-run with demons....

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Marrowlight
Knight

Wolff wrote:

Not hometown. Home state. Y'know, when all but 10 or so states have a backstory and yours doesnt, it's not nice :( :( :(

EDIT
I am of course, speaking solely for the United States... sorry if the original post sounded ethnocentric

Yeah but 30 of those states have the same back story.

"Just about everyone died. Those that didn't wish they did. Those that didn't wish well enough are ignorant fools who enjoy black armor and leather trenchcoats, are stuck in a spaghetti western on acid and smell bad, or are dinky mages. Welcome to NuMerica!"

:D

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

my hometown is overrun by shadow beasts. which is fine, because hopefully by 2098 I will have moved far away.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I am planting to have 5 Powers in California.

1) Morlock,a Secret Underground Army base.
Home to 10000,Humans.

2)Fort Sacramento,Pop:120000,70%Humans,30% Others.

3)the Valley Preserve,pop:50000.

4)Barony of HoldOut,pop:15000.

5)Kingdom of Killsun,pop:250000,
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:my hometown is overrun by shadow beasts. which is fine, because hopefully by 2098 I will have moved far away.

Kwicherbychin...my home town is under the Atlantic. :(

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

here are some useful data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington

I've been thinking that west of the rockies would be a great place to start a magic/high tech civilization that could rival the CS

Edit: Woot! 100 posts!
Last edited by rat_bastard on Sat May 13, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

wow, so shall i assume that i'm not the only one working on a northwest manuscript? well, this certainly means i have to get even heavier into it...

(i had no plans for california mind you, it's the northern states that i'm using)
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

On the subject of 'home towns' surviving or not...

My home town is... hmm... well, all sorts of factors...
Beware, long post ahead... I'm in a mood to ramble on...

First, it's close to the "middle" of Michigan...

My home town time probably will have been trashed, but later have some sort of settlement or outpost built up, possibly a Lazlo/New Lazlo presence.

There is the Pine River (source of water), a small 'lake' (very small) created by a dam, and much of the river just big enough for a 'smaller' motor boat, or a few canoes side by side), so it could be a small path for trade (average of 15ft wide and 5-10ft deep).

For the Lazlo/New Lazlo presence, it is because there is a college off on the west side of town, and a nice sized public library in the middle of town, plus the usual type of stores places that sell books, including a book store.
There are a few buildings that are of stone construction, and 'might' be at least partially intact.
There are a few manufacturing places in/near town, so a small presence of people looking for salvage and pre-rifts parts/machinery might be possible at one point or another.

The nearby Veteran's place has an old tank (M-60 I think) sitting out front.
There is also quite a few farms in the surrounding area.

There is a chance we are getting an Ethanol Plant in town. There used to be a Total refinery, but it got closed down, and it seems that' why they want to try and get the Ethanol plant put in its place. (Hmm... Ethanol plant, occasional small oil/gas well in the country, lots of farms...)

There is a water treatment plant or two in town... very effective water treatment plants... trust me, I doubt any alien germs are going to be living in the water supply if someone showed up a century later... some people barely consider the drinking water to be drinkable... :?
Got water filter that attaches onto the kitchen faucet, each filter is supposed to be good for 1-2 months, but often don't last past 3 weeks.

There is a small airfield a few miles south of town IIRC.
there is a "bargain" store in town and the town south of here, lots of canned and dried/boxed food goods. Also a few big name shops. The post-apocalypse "Wars over Dog Food" will likely have the north side of town as a major battlefield.
We're next to a highway that runs through/past the east side of town.
There's a lot of wide open country, chances for small pockets of humanity to survive (perhaps some to later become 'fast food' for hostile critters)

There could be a surviving settlement at a town a few dozen miles away, due to a small military surplus store in one place, and in the 'country' near the town was a sporting goods store that had enough gear for a few hundred people (be it pistols, rifles, bows, knives... fishing gear, camping gear, etc. Michigan does apparently have a lot of hunters), and the store next to someplace where someone supposedly has a few old WWII 'toys'.

Sure, it might not actually survive, but I'm sure there will be someone/something of interest around here in post-Rifts times... even if it is just a pit stop for travelers using the river, or the site of settlement that used to run a few old salvage operations for Lazlo/New Lazlo or GAW.

Yep, pretty boring around here... (even with a 6 screen movie theater north of town and an old movie theater/performance stage place downtown)... probably a little more exciting after the Rifts due to critter attacks...
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

there are a few cities on the west coast already mentioned in cannon. remember the ticonderoga deals with a few of them
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The SAFS doesn't move up down as much as north south.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

yep, they're not mega cities and i have a feeling that calling them cities are more like, large towns, or towns with ports. with what i'm working on civilazation is VERY limited and for a VERY good reason
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

There are 2 ideas aboput california i like. One was one i saw posted by someone else about the US navy (New Navy) establishing a naval base at Monterey Bay a 3 year project. Really liked that idea, although not sure how bad the coast is there....maybe somewhere in the San Joaquin Valley might be more appropriate. The other one I like is a road warrior mad max culture out in riverside barstow san bernadino area where people struggle for "the juice". This area would be pretty much solely SDC, big on gas and oil. The CS hasn't even been heard of out here.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

There are some decent hills around Monterey, like where the language institute is. With a miltary base or two in the area(if you count Fort Ord) plus a decent reseach team at the aquarium I could see lots of aquaculture, or even the home to some of the rejects on Tritonia.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I *hated* California. Riverside SUCKED!
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.

Return to “Rifts®”