Auto-medics and the women that love them

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Auto-medics and the women that love them

Unread post by rat_bastard »

ok, I was flipping thru my beloved copy of 'tres galaxumundos, and I found the Auto medic (pgs 109-110), and it got me thinking, can this lovely device do things like slow the damage to the body juciers experiance giving them a longer run as a jucier? Can it perform the gene therapy that extends the lifespans of humans and other critters? And is it the sort of thing someone can special order from the naruni after the whole naruni wave plotline on rifts earth?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Thought it can't repair MDC creatures?

and that has what to do with the price of tea in china?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

only mega juciers,
titan juciers get hundreds of sdc and hit points, but not mdc.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Weird. I had a similar thought just a day ago...

I'd say no, "the doc-in-a-box" can't undo the effects of Juicer deterioration.

First off, the bio-comp installed in Juicer says everything is fine. Secondly, any medical AI would most likely prescribe removing the harness and full detox.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

I'm not saying undo the effects, I'm saying stave off the damage from substance abuse a bit, giving the jucier a 10 +1d6 years instead of like 7 years.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Why not?
presumably the autodoc's nanotech is designed soley to heal, the could be told to ignore the bio-comp and go straight for the damage to the body, the jucier's bio comp is just to keep drugs pumping in the right amounts, it is not sophistacated enough to interfere with the auto doc. meanwhile the Auto doc is more complex, it can be told that it is working on a jucier and can be told to ignore the bio-comp like a firewall program can be told to ignore a certain chat program etc.

In addition according to the phase world book, jucier modification is available in phase world, and as previously mentioned, mutants in orbit juicers live three times as long. So the most technologicly elite culture in the galaxy can't do what a bunch of geeks in some scrap metal space stations around a backwoods planet can do?

Also, can the auto doc extend the lifespan of normal humans? you know the ones without drugs pumping into their systems every second of every day?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

ooh, and another thought, could the auto medic improve the chance of detox survival?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

rat_bastard wrote:ooh, and another thought, could the auto medic improve the chance of detox survival?

THAT I'd allow, since, as a robot doctor, it should be programmed to deal with lethal poisonings and organ failure... which is what Juicer Burnout amounts to.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

As to the technology becoming available on Rifts Earth....well, unlikely, given that one would need a host of associated support technologies and products to keep the hardware up and running...There would have to be a starship- or colonial model with extra modules(essentially nanofacs capable of rendering various raw materials into the needed medicines and medicinal chemicals) and would add maybe 20-50% to cost...Naruni tends to focus on blowing things up, rather than stitching them back together, beyond the basic field medical kits, so it's unlikely they'd put much time into developing such systems, or buying them from other companies to sell under their name, even to worlds who are unlikely to ever find out about the name/copyright switch...
HOWEVER, the higher ups of Naruni are certain to buy the best such medtech for their own use, and it's possible that a few dozen units or so are already on Rifts Earth, in the NE secret enclaves, to treat injuried execs and privileged(i.e. 'not immediately expendable') employees....Of course, breaking in and stealing such hardware to study is a possibility, but likely to get a death warrant and Naruni-backed reward out on your skull(easier to take the long way to Phaseworld and buy your own).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”