High Technology Urban Combat

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Thta paper has to wait until mid or end of July now.

I have...uh, other writing projects on a deadline...

heh heh.... :bandit:
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Love 2nd gig! Love the ending of the 2nd season! And boy does that explore Urban combat.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

great episode. i loved the Tachikoma's explaining world politics. and the ending was nice.

since i've been staying up till 2:00 AM anyway, i'll catch the next showing, and give my thoughts tomorrow.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Whats the episode name?
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Ya that was the one. I just watched it, borrowed most of 2ndgig from my bro, and that has some interesting ideas in it.
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Poker Face was a great episode!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I was mroe impressed by the ending than the actual combat, though it was awsome.

It takes guts to walk away from a straight flush just to prove a point.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rather liked "Poker Face' because it was the second in a line of episodes dealing with the grim-faced guys behind Batou, Togusa, and the Major(the Trinity of GitS),,,also because it gives some more detail to the world and how screwed up North America becomes(Imperial Americana first appears in the further future-flung Appleseed, and it's become even more degenerate than ever)...I couldn't help but think of 'Robocop's' news pieces about rebels being blasted in Alcapauco....

Though, for urban combat models...hmmm...jamming-rich environment, okay...that would prevent the troops infiltrating the city from using anything but wire-controlled remotes to scout around...and prevent the cyborgs from getting the latest combat software in the field...
They never do quite explain what the heck the special forces unit was doing with a satchel tacknuke...the city looked pretty leveled as it was, so unless the defenders had deep underground bunkers the invaders were planning to drop the little play-pretty down on....

I'm of a divided mind about the Tachikomas...I initially found them so blindingly annoying, but the episode where we meet their inventor(and the price of proprietory technologies), I'll admitt got to me...I do miss the lower-sleeker, prone-posture cockpits, though...the big upright pilot pod just looks like more of a target.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

gadrin wrote:
taalismn wrote:

essentially the entire situation was the result of "We can't let this turd do this to us !"

of course the action was much more interesting this way.

another thing, was, notice how the major took off more andmore clothes the longer the ep went ? :lol:

of course she still wore more than usual. :lol:

Yep....pure machismo...and the American was an idiot, followed by the Brits...but it's a Japanese anime, of course...

And you know that the going's tough when the female apparel starts coming off...though the first arc episode with the 'love doll party' and the Major having to deal with Mr. Oily and his borderline narcolipsiphilia/necrophilia made me cringe for policewomen everywhere..

But to get back on track...yah, I agree, if Rifts/Three Galaxies dudes went with the full arsenal of possible sci-fi urban combat gear possible at the appropriate tech level, you'd have PCs rolling buckets of skill-dice versus AI systems that would be rolling their own buckets of dice, faster than the meatbags could, to counter each other, before combat even began...but then, that's the advantage of such technology...except when by dint of inferior tech, or pure bad luck, you lose, in which case you're dead/seriously maimed before you can say "I'll try to dodge that 88mm sniper round!"..

On the OTHER hand, one of the first rules of techno-combat as it is emerging is that all that sophisticated stuff tends to break down or fall by the wayside to the sort of machismo thinking such as "I unload my whole 500-round clip on that !ard's! position!" or "I hit him upside the head with my heavy reinforced, sensor-beladen, and utterly jammed useless helmet!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”