Bigger books

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

would you prefer books to be

300 + pages
38%
200-300 pages
31%
less tahn 200 pages
31%

Total votes: 45

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Will probably get yelled at.......

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I know I've made this point in other threads before but.......

I'd like to see smaller books with more useful information. Less BS and fluff text.
I came to Rifts after playing D&D and I believe their books were organized better. On average they were smaller which makes it easier to find what you need. The Rules Cyclopedia was a prime example of this.

I dont think Palladium will make their books any larger. Many folks have already been complaining about the cost of individual books.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Unread post by Guest »

This poll should have been written to reflect the style of printing used. Books are printed in 32-page long signatures and/or 16-page long half-signatures. This is why the various books are 48, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 176, 192, 208, 224, 240, 256, 272, 288, 304, 320, 336, and 352 pages long.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:This poll should have been written to reflect the style of printing used. Books are printed in 32-page long signatures and/or 16-page long half-signatures. This is why the various books are 48, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 176, 192, 208, 224, 240, 256, 272, 288, 304, 320, 336, and 352 pages long.
I think the spirit of the poll can be maintained without getting that specific.
:fool:
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Will probably get yelled at.......

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Shorty Lickens wrote:I'd like to see smaller books with more useful information. Less BS and fluff text...

Wha... bu...less fluff? Less fluff?

Begging your pardon, good Sir, but less fluff in an average Palladium Book would reduce the page count by three thin sheets.

Less fluff?!? In God's name, what books are you reading from this company whose cup runeth over with fluff text?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

page for price, palladium still has the best price

190+ page books for D&D is 32.99

378 pages RUE is 33.95

KS doesnt try to bleed the players dry unlike some of the other companies out there.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Normally I wouldnt try to defend D&D but those prices arent from TSR, they are from Wizards of the Coast. A company which has already proven, (many times) that money is number one and customer satisfaction is number two.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I prefer quality not quantity.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

big books get damaged a lot.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

It's not just Wotc or the big companies having high prices. It's the same across the board. From what i can see the small companies see if the fans are willing to pay the prices that the big companies charge. If the majority of the fans do than the small companies raise prices to the same.

As long as fans are willing to pay the prices than companies can and should have high prices. Not that I like it all. Far from it but which company do you know is going tp take a loss for the fans. None it all imo. Not even Palladium. It's not supposed to be fair either.

That how business works. Palladium and a handful of companies are unique. I would say about 80% have high prices 20% low. Privately most companies do not care if you find the prices too high. You are not part of their target demographic. Like I said business is not fair. It's easy to pick on the big guys but the small guy is guilty of the same behavior too.

I like the fact that Palladium has low prices. at the same time I wish the production values would be better. Out of the two i prefer the low prices as the other choice would mean increased prices.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

As for book sizes I prefer books to be about the size of the Rifts Atlantis book. I dislike small books but understand that the company makes more money off of them.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

seriously, the books need to be as long as they need to be.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

Yeah. I don't really have a preference. I'd rather have a book be a little small than have some irrelevant stuff thrown in to boost that page count, and I'd rather have books be big enough to avoid having to deal with little "add-on" books like Phase World Sourcebook and Mindwerks.
-Pax
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

runebeo wrote:big books get damaged a lot.
The thread necromancer strikes again! :lol:
:fool:
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Sureshot wrote:It's not just Wotc or the big companies having high prices. It's the same across the board.

See what I meant? ;)

Though I do agree with you in this case. RPG prices, in general, are ape stuff out of control.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Less than 200 pages of good story based material, discussions on a given setting(s) and as little new guns as possible. This makes a great RPG soruce material book. After all its story which makes a gamming session.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “Rifts®”