Favorite Fantasy Books

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

the_canaller wrote:So, unfortunately (or not), I have no idea what these "connections" are. Characters? Locations? Plot elements?

the_canaller wrote:How does It, for example (since it's probably one of his most well-known works), tie in?

http://www.thedarktower.net/
check out the Connections page, in particular.

"It features the Turtle, the Crimson King's deadlights, and a creature eerily similar to Dandelo from book seven."

pax
Ø
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

I can't read King. I've tried to read Pet Cemetary, It, Carrie, Salems Lot... I just never get into it. I still give the guy props that he must be an amazing author, but his works don't do anything for me at all.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:Is that canon, or just your interpretation?

cannonal interpretation, since only one way or the other can be correct, and obviously mine is.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Favorite fantasy Books, okay where to start

Robert E. Howard - Conan books

Fritz Liebers - Fafhrd & Grey Mouser novels

Michael Moorcocks - Elric novels

Peirs Anthony - Xanth novels

Robert Aspirins - M.Y.T.H. books

Steven Bursts - Jherg novels, a great look at two cultures with radically different approaches to magic, the dragerian"ELF" sorcery( link through the Emperial orb ), and the eastern"Human" magic ( resembles psionics more than anything. Plus anytime the hero of the story is an professional assassin, with a sense of humor :shock:

Raymond E. Feists - Riftwar Saga and daughter of the Empire books, where great love daughter of the empire, and how she went from simple girl about to dedicate her life to service of god, to most powerful woman in an Empire.

Elizabeth Moon [/i] - THE DEED OF PAKSENARRION , and The Legacy of Gird. Have read the deed , so many times, that the book is held together with a rubber band, how can you not like a story about a girl who runs away to become a simple merc, and ends up becoming a Paladin, blessed by not just one god, but three(?) gods. A world, where the gods, actually take a roll in what happens to their worshippers

[b] S.M. Stirling
and Shirley Meiers FIFTH MILLENNIUM books- THE CAGE , SNOW BROTHER, SABER AND SHADOW to name my favorites. While not actually fantasy , as set on earth in far future, after a great cataclysm, the do read like fantasy, with barbarians, witches(PSI), monsters ( RI - horse/ Wolverine cross breed, and FLIT CAT , a winged house cat, to name my favorites) , as well as a human off shot race the ZAK , short (3-4ft), dark haired, psionics.
[/b]
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

holy crap. Only two people have mentioned Wheel of Time.

I Love Fricken wheel of time!

Sure they are hard to get into, and book eleven sucks, but its worth while in the end

And the sad thing is that Robert Jordan has a type of cancer, Median life expectancy is 6 years.

If he dies, im going to cry :rose:
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Ridley wrote:holy crap. Only two people have mentioned Wheel of Time.

I Love Fricken wheel of time!

Sure they are hard to get into, and book eleven sucks, but its worth while in the end

And the sad thing is that Robert Jordan has a type of cancer, Median life expectancy is 6 years.

If he dies, im going to cry :rose:

Hmm, one book to go.

He seemed relatively upbeat when I saw him last year though....is this a new development? You'd think a guy with only a few years left to live wouldn't have spent so much time talking about the future.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Amberjack
Explorer

Oh, one more that I forgot :oops:
Which is funning, being one of his books was laying beside the computer.

Dennis L. McKiernan - Voyage of the Fox Rider, The Eye Of The Hunter, and DragonDoom to name a few. Love how he takes on just one or two of the ancient races per book and develops them.

Oh, and just remembered another

David Gemmel - the legend of Druss and others, although can not for the life of me, think of any other titles right now.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Did any mention Chris Clearmont's Shadow Moon Trilogy? Though its a continuation of a so-so movie (Ron Howard's Willow), he really made it his own, and greatly expend and turned the setting into something incredible. It was a very pleasant suprise.

Also the Black Company series is really a good series. Its a bit more gritty than most fantasy.
Amberjack
Explorer

Hi JTwig, i started reading Shadow moon trilogy, but never finished ( life got in the way) but they were very good. I will have to dig them out , reread them, in get the remainder of the trilogy.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Delwugor wrote:Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends by Hickman and Weis - the only female authors I will read in Sci/Fi and fantasy. Chauvenist aint I?

Especially since Tracy Hickman is a dude.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
xmen510
D-Bee

Unread post by xmen510 »

The Shannara Series (All) by Terry Brooks.
The Sword Of Truth by Terry Goodkind.
The Legend Of Huma (Dragonlance Series).
The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan.
The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant (All) by Stephan R. Donaldson.
Morgant Need by Stephan R. Donaldson.
Memory, Sorrow And Thorn by Tad Williams.
Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander.
Xanth Series by Piers Anthony.
The Elenium And Tamuli Series by David Eddings.
Guardians Of The Flame by Joel Rosenburg (Read it once and have never been able to read it again. Too much depression).

Those are my favorites off the top of my head.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”