Price raise

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What do you think of palladium's price increase

No price increases!!! I can't afford them!!!
5%
What we have is good...$1 or 2 this year
71%
Why doesn't Palladium charge what they are worth? $3-5
23%

Total votes: 56

shadrak
Champion

Price raise

Unread post by shadrak »

EDIT: Answer 3 indicates you believe that the books should be sold for 3-5 dollars more than they are currently

I love how palladium tries to keep costs low for the fans, but what is their profit margin? If profits went up, could we expect them to come out of the hole and produce more products?

Maybe prices should be raised a bit more. Not a lot, but I think they are going up $1 this year (on average), would 2 be that much harder for a fan to buy a book?
Last edited by shadrak on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

If you wanna cry about price rises go to the GW forums :P
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I'm not crying...I wish it was more!

By the way...the 3 to 5 dollars is the increase, not the book price.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I'm sure there will be some complaints. I'm not one of them though, heck I told Kevin to raise the cost of the books at the Open House.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Yep...but if you are the sole supplier (as palladium is) and the buyer wants the product, you don't have to worry about the complaints that much.

Besides...for true palladium fans, palladium has us by the balls. We have invested thousands of dollars in the system. We aren't about to change, even if the prices are raised.

The only thing that would change this is if palladium opened its system up (like the D20), but that won't happen, because we want all material to be canon and none of us would consider that canon.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Can I edit the poll? It's supposed to be a $3-5 increase, not base price.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I'm happy with a small increase ($1 or $2) would only support a bigger increase if they raised their production standards a bit; editing, typesetting etc.
RUE looked a lot better so I suppose I have to wait until I get Madhaven to see if that trend has continued.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Voted. Number 2. 1 or 2 dollars is fine for an increase. I wish they didn't have to raise prices, oh well.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Went with number 2, raising the price by 3-5 wouldnt hurt me much but I do have to get ready for my (3 :? ) kids holiday lists. :lol:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

I went with option 2.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Given that Palladium's prices haven't really kept pace with inflation over the years, a scant one to two buck price hike is still a steal for us.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Palladium Books has always kept the prices down so an increase by one or two dollars isnt all that bad
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Arioch
D-Bee

Unread post by Arioch »

Dead Boy wrote:Given that Palladium's prices haven't really kept pace with inflation over the years, a scant one to two buck price hike is still a steal for us.

seconded.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I also thought the third choice meant they were only worth 3-5 bucks. A small increase wouldn't be a huge deal, and I would gladly pay it.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Arioch wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:Given that Palladium's prices haven't really kept pace with inflation over the years, a scant one to two buck price hike is still a steal for us.

seconded.

Big fan of Jennifer Government Arioch?

I voted for option 3. I send Palladium money directly anyway...but their books are worth a lot more than they are charging.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

shadrak wrote:I'm not crying...I wish it was more!

By the way...the 3 to 5 dollars is the increase, not the book price.

Sorry, not what I meant, I was trying nto preemptively shut down potential compaints; again sorry, I should have made it clearer.

I also belive they could afford a sligthly higher increment.

Next time I'll try to make my messages clerar, once more, sorry for the mix up :-(
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Me too ;)
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Me too ;)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

meh..not even gonna bother voting here.
If he raises his prices, he raises his prices.
If I like a book that's been released, I'll buy it.
Since I have not seen ONE book worth the dead tree it's been printed on since R:UE (and even that was a stretch), I haven't bought any PBooks products, regardless of price.

Don't get me wrong, if anything worth while comes out (here's hoping Mad Haven bucks the garbage trend I've been seeing lately), be assured I'll purchase it, and recommend it to my friends.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

I voted for the $1-2 option. With such a heavy core of Palladium fans knowing the financial situation of the company, I think that a small price increase would not generate the usual array of complaints. We've always appreciated the company doing it's best to keep the prices down, and I think Kevin takes pride in that, so I thjink the 1-2 bucks option would be a, well, moral compromise for the company between needing more revenue and still having the pride about keeping prices relatively low.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I'd rather have higher prices than no Palladium, but I won't pretend to be happy about spending more money for the same amount of pages. Necessity is necessity, however.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

option 2 - still a bargin, but I'd be happy to pay even more to help Kevin and Co.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

WonderingMind wrote:Madhaven is an excellent book. I got my copy yesterday and I have been unable to put it down. Brandon and Taylor REALLY out did themselves.

Well since they only wrote stuff for the Rifters before, it couldn't have been THAT hard. :P

From the sneak preview I got of the book at the Open House, the fans are going to love this one. Of course, you can't please everybody. (Yeah, I'm eyeing you DH. :-P )
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Well if Palladium goes under it will cost a lot more to start a new game for me, so if a buck or two more will keep my books coming its worth it to me. Just hope they start making their dead lines for a change.
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

Ill go with the 1-2 dollar increase.

Palladium makes sure the book is good, and they sell for cheap.
Hell, anything that Wotc writes is overpriced and no where near the quallity of Pally, though i still wish that they added dbees to RUE

And for the cover thing, laminate the covers of your scourcebooks

Return to “Rifts®”