Cape or No Cape

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cape or no cape?

Cape
44%
No Cape
56%

Total votes: 39

Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

depends on the character. Superman would appear to be fashion, but in older issues , I think he has used his cape to protect/ shield innocents as its seems to have some of his invulnerabilities. Batman is part fashion, he would not look as menacing without his cape, but is also functional as a glider, plus I believe it is flame proof, and bullet resistant.
The Cape, no Cape question, also comes from the movie Incredibles. Where it is implied that capes are dangerous to the wearer. Which can be true, but they can also be useful to the wearer, as in Batman s glider cape, or just used to distract a foe , used as a weapon ( with weighted ends), plus if worried about it getting snagged, and being used to choke, or injury wearer it can have break away clasps, as Cyan , from Century Station.
Also the cape, can be and is a fashion statment, with the right costume, but at the same time can be a fashion disaster with the wrong costume. Spiderman with a cape BAD, Doctor Doom with cape GOOD, DareDevil cape BAD, Magneto cape GOOD. Superman GOOD, Batman VERY GOOD , the Flash cape BAD.
Although I am sure that some would argue that capes are just Bad, on anyone, other than Batman.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

No cape!
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Takes my supersuit desiner's opionion to heart, No Cape.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Every time I think of this question I think of the words of Edna Mode in The Incredibles "NO CAPES!!"
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Rahmota
Adventurer

Unread post by Rahmota »

I gotta go with the whole it depends on the character, his motif, his image and his powers and useage of the cape.
TANSTAAFL!
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

When I can, I usually try to affix a cape to all my superhero's I've created... :oops:
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

For most heros, capes just get in the way. But in the case of say Batman, having no cape wouldn't be in character.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

i guess i'd have to vote cape, just because for some characters it is appropriate.

really, anyone who needs to be quick and unencumbered would tend to not wear a cape. as stated, batman has many uses for his cape in combat situations as well as assisting travel. besides, i don't think he does so much dodging as blocking. of course, fliers tend to wear capes, though that isn't a rule.

basically, its a statement by the character (hero or villain) that he/she can handle possible drawbacks of a cape.
jolt
D-Bee

Unread post by jolt »

Capes have a certain aesthetic appeal that, in comics, I think is very important. So I vote yes for capes.

If we're going to get into realism, then I think a better question would be:

Spandex as a good fabric choice for your costume: Yes or No?

jolt
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Amberjack wrote: The Cape, no Cape question, also comes from the movie Incredibles. Where it is implied that capes are dangerous to the wearer.

It originally comes from The Watchmen, actually.
Along with a bunch of other stuff that The Incredibles ripped off.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Amberjack wrote: The Cape, no Cape question, also comes from the movie Incredibles. Where it is implied that capes are dangerous to the wearer.

gonna call homage on this one. The Incredibles, that is.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Prior to the Watchmen, Steve Rogers, as The Nomad, tripped on his own cape, and this allowed Viper and Eel to escape.
He later modified the costume to no longer include the cape.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Too much was taken for me to be that kind, but I'm sure the writers meant no harm.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Too much was taken for me to be that kind, but I'm sure the writers meant no harm.

Look at it as a neat gateway. Half the stuff that was taken from won't be available to the target audience for years. They're gonna love it when they run across stuff like James Bond, the Fantastic Four, etc.

If you want too much taken, go check out Mutant & Mastermind's city book. :D

(that'll bring the raging defenders of M&M out ) :-D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Would a trench coat be considered a cape or not? In the movies and
in the TV show Blade seems to use the coat more like a cape.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

To Cape or not to Cape, that is the question.... and the answer is it depends on the character. I've had more then a few heroes who've had capes including one who wore a cape because as far as he was concerned it was the ultimate symbol that he was a hero, but I've had more who never wore them at all.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

the more i think of it, historically capes are so much associated with heroes or combatants as much as with royalty.
its a symbol of power, authority, prestige, respect...

(btw, ARE there any "raging defenders of M&M"?)
(i am fond of the peanut ones... :lol: )

also, I can see wolverine wearing a cape... thanks to Amalgam Comics.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Sir Ysbadden wrote:
MontanaPlayer wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
MontanaPlayer wrote:My question to our comic book historians is this; which heroes first wore capes and what year and have any of the creators from back then explained the why of it? I look at early marvel, in so much as my knowledge goes, and I see pretty much just Thor wearing one on the hero side and Doom/Magneto on the villain side (didn't Magneto predate Doom? :? )

To answer this you must look to the heroes of 19th and early 20th century literature such as Zorro and Sherlock Holmes both of whom wore capes. allthough their wearing of capes goes along with the style of the era in which their stories took place.

Maybe I need to specify-comic book heroes. My bad.

Well most of the early comic book heroes drew hevilly from the literary characters of the period i mentioned allthough i am not sure for certain what hero is the first to dawn such a garment i would be inclined to say that Superman was the first to comic book super hero to wear a cape as he is the hero responsible for starting the genere in action comics #1.
Batman predates Superman by almost 2 years...
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Novastar wrote:Batman predates Superman by almost 2 years...

And the Shadow came out in Comic Strip form in 1938 a year before Batman. :p

Daniel Stoker
Marrowlight
Knight

Novastar wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
MontanaPlayer wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
MontanaPlayer wrote:My question to our comic book historians is this; which heroes first wore capes and what year and have any of the creators from back then explained the why of it? I look at early marvel, in so much as my knowledge goes, and I see pretty much just Thor wearing one on the hero side and Doom/Magneto on the villain side (didn't Magneto predate Doom? :? )

To answer this you must look to the heroes of 19th and early 20th century literature such as Zorro and Sherlock Holmes both of whom wore capes. allthough their wearing of capes goes along with the style of the era in which their stories took place.

Well most of the early comic book heroes drew hevilly from the literary characters of the period i mentioned allthough i am not sure for certain what hero is the first to dawn such a garment i would be inclined to say that Superman was the first to comic book super hero to wear a cape as he is the hero responsible for starting the genere in action comics #1.

really?

Superman
Historical:
Action Comics #1
(June 1938)

Batman
Historical:
Detective Comics #27
(May 1939)

Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Marrowlight wrote:
Novastar wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
MontanaPlayer wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:

really?

Superman
Historical:
Action Comics #1
(June 1938)

Batman
Historical:
Detective Comics #27
(May 1939)
Holy Bat-****

I stand corrected.

(For some reason, I thought Supes was '39, and Bats was '37...)
(And did the Shadow wear a cape? I thought it was just a long overcoat... :? )
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Novastar wrote:(And did the Shadow wear a cape? I thought it was just a long overcoat... :? )

I remember it described as an opera cloak. Here's a pic from one of the pulp novels.

Daniel Stoker
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Sentinel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Prior to the Watchmen, Steve Rogers, as The Nomad, tripped on his own cape, and this allowed Viper and Eel to escape.
:lol: Seriously?!!!

Damn that is funny :lol:
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Migamus wrote:The question of capes also came from computer games.

Everquest promised capes for a long time, but was unable to create them / make them look good with the available technology.

City of Heroes successfully added them a few months after the game launched. They even had a cool story about why no capes and how to "earn" a cape.

Also long after Watchmen.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”