Elf-Dwarf War!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reddenedone
Adventurer

Elf-Dwarf War!

Unread post by Reddenedone »

Via Rifter #35, page 17.

Kevin Siembieda is kicking around the idea of doing a sub-series that takes place during the Elf-Dwarf War when both races were at their height, Rune Magic represented advanced technology, and humans were mainly barbarians.

Oh hell yes! You have my vote to go through with this one Santa Kev!!!!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

One book would do it.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

That would be awesome, Elves and Dwarves that still had kingdoms/ empires. No humans, or simple barbarian humans.
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

HUZZAH! :D
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

That would be great and answer a few questions of mine. But first, how about some of the other PFRPG books we have been waiting for such as OK Lowlands and Mountains, LOD:lll, Magic and Monsters, just to name a couple. Not saying I won't buy it if it comes out. Just that there are others I would rather have first.
Amberjack
Explorer

Magic & Monsters :?: :?: :?:
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

I may have misspoke the title, but it is a manuscript sent in by one of the regulars on the board, Mr. Nexx IIRC. There are several mentions of it in the PFRPG board, but I can't seem to find one at the moment. I believe the title is actually Mysteries of Magic.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Jimbo wrote:I may have misspoke the title, but it is a manuscript sent in by one of the regulars on the board, Mr. Nexx IIRC. There are several mentions of it in the PFRPG board, but I can't seem to find one at the moment. I believe the title is actually Mysteries of Magic.

Not quite. Mysteries and Magic is mine (Hi! We're two days away from it's 4th anniversary!). Magic Items and Monsters, or what it's called, is another that was announced concurrently that I know nothing about.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Amberjack
Explorer

Thanks, was just curious. Thought I had missed something :)
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:One book would do it.

Hmm. I think I'd like a little more attention and focus on some key cities than the normal Timiro style treatment they get.

A couple "LoB" size books to support a large EDW book would be more my cup of tea.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Bulshite I say. although almost (i said almost) any book for PF would do. I think rather than kickin around an idea on a bunch o stuff that will probly not make it anywhere...how about lookin at those manuscripts that were sent in, nearly completed they are. Any one of those will be fine, just edit them and finish them off to the printers. There is at least 3 books there if not 8. But hey my sig says it all 2008 here we come.
I hate to be a ranter but I do recall reading an early press release this year that said in marking PB's 25th anniversary there was going to be 2-3 NEW pF titles out this year! then it changed to 2-3 new titles for PF and HU. now it looks as if those arent on any calander any time soon. Oh, no there still there just been pushed back (like all PF titles).
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

While I agree that PB needs to fill out the missing area books, but at this time I will take any PF books they may put ot eagerly.

Now about the minion war books, that are, in part to take place on the PF world, I will greet with partail distain "its yet another rifts book" and partial "YAH A PF BOOK!".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Entiago is correct. Finish the world books first.

Then make us wait 10 years for the meta plots.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I hope the Elf / Dwarf War is a stand-alone game like Chaos Earth. It would allow PB to bring forth new game mechanics and some radical world redesign without worrying too much about continuity with the current line.

I would like to see this ancient time as a unique game world for itself with a power level worthy of those halycon days. So often in FRPGs, we hear about a golden age of mystical power and I would love to see PB actually do it with the Elf / Dwarf War.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Elf dwarf war-- They can count on my purchase!!
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

kamikazzijoe wrote:Elf dwarf war-- They can count on my purchase!!

Wow... it's kinda nice to see that my absence has not curbed anyone's enthusiasm. Keep up the hope for these things, it's probably all you'll ever see of them.

Yes, Im still a heartbroken, bitter gamer over PF. That's not going to change anytime soon. On the other hand, I really do hope that these make it out. And make it far. Would be nice to see SOMETHING for PF... of course, I don't play it anymore, so it's kind of a moot point for me.

--
GS
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

I just like the thought that when you think of it, nearly every palladium game is in a post-apocalyptic future.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

bar1scorpio wrote:I just like the thought that when you think of it, nearly every palladium game is in a post-apocalyptic future.

Current day non-apocalyptic is really hard to bloom into something big. Look at N&SS. Its a great game but how do you stir up the chaos necessary for the players imaginations to take over.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Library Ogre

kamikazzijoe wrote:
bar1scorpio wrote:I just like the thought that when you think of it, nearly every palladium game is in a post-apocalyptic future.

Current day non-apocalyptic is really hard to bloom into something big. Look at N&SS. Its a great game but how do you stir up the chaos necessary for the players imaginations to take over.

Terrorists.
The threat of apocalypse.
Good old fashioned espionage.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

Terrorists.

As great as James bond is, its kinda limited compared to the scope of other RPGs
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Library Ogre

kamikazzijoe wrote:
MrNexx wrote:Terrorists.

As great as James bond is, its kinda limited compared to the scope of other RPGs

Take Shadowrun.

Remove the elves.

Put in ninjas.

All Palladium Articles
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:
MrNexx wrote:Terrorists.

Take Shadowrun.

Remove the elves.

Put in ninjas.

Even shadow run is post apocolyptic. But back to the orignal thread. Think they'll write up a role for the characters to trigger the elemetal circle that nuked baalgor?
Last edited by kamikazzijoe on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Library Ogre

kamikazzijoe wrote:Even shadow run is post apocolyptic.

Did you feel the breeze? That was the point going past you at a high rate of speed.

Shadowrun is 100% about espionage. If you take out the elves and such, it's a straight espionage game.

All Palladium Articles
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Even shadow run is post apocolyptic.

Did you feel the breeze? That was the point going past you at a high rate of speed.

Shadowrun is 100% about espionage. If you take out the elves and such, it's a straight espionage game.

Step back a few threads, the point wasn't espionage can't be continuously fun; its that getting the dynamics to keep it fun are hard when not set in a post apacolyptic future. Not impossible, just much harder.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Library Ogre

kamikazzijoe wrote:Step back a few threads, the point wasn't espionage can't be continuously fun; its that getting the dynamics to keep it fun are hard when not set in a post apacolyptic future. Not impossible, just much harder.

I disagree. A few games of freelance industrial espionage and you've suddenly got consequences from these runs... then you've got a couple games of getting to Mexico. There's a campaign, right there.

All Palladium Articles

Unread post by Guest »

kamikazzijoe wrote:

N&S's "Setting" has the potential to emulate dozens of fantasy, contemporary, and near future genres (and combined with other Palladium games, dozens more). You can do anything from chambara, wuxia, anime, historical, cyberpunk (with a lot of work), sword & sorcery, high fantasy, martial arts, espionage, horror (though only with the Mystic China tie-in, and the BTS or Nightspawnbane expansion), 'asian' (for all those Chinese, Japanese, and pseudo- versions of Asian settings), contemporary "thriller" or "action", and tons of other areas. Admittedly, post-apocalyptic, apocalyptic, steam-punk, true horror, paranormal investigation, science fiction, space, anthropormophic, super hero, and some other genres would need other sources as well, but N&S's basic setup allows you to more or less incorporate it into these genres with a little work.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Step back a few threads, the point wasn't espionage can't be continuously fun; its that getting the dynamics to keep it fun are hard when not set in a post apacolyptic future. Not impossible, just much harder.

I disagree. A few games of freelance industrial espionage and you've suddenly got consequences from these runs... then you've got a couple games of getting to Mexico. There's a campaign, right there.

Right, thats A campaign. Real hard to reach retirement in one campaign. I don't know about you, but i like to play characters for years (real time). Anyways....
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Library Ogre

kamikazzijoe wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Right, thats A campaign. Real hard to reach retirement in one campaign. I don't know about you, but i like to play characters for years (real time). Anyways....

It's very easy to reach retirement in one campaign. Ever listen to "Banditos" by the Refreshments?

All Palladium Articles
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Right, thats A campaign. Real hard to reach retirement in one campaign. I don't know about you, but i like to play characters for years (real time). Anyways....

It's very easy to reach retirement in one campaign. Ever listen to "Banditos" by the Refreshments?

I agree, it's quite possible. Thing is, a campaign can last for year, real time. Many, many, many years...
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Library Ogre

J. Lionheart wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Right, thats A campaign. Real hard to reach retirement in one campaign. I don't know about you, but i like to play characters for years (real time). Anyways....

I agree, it's quite possible. Thing is, a campaign can last for year, real time. Many, many, many years...

Hey, I've played quite a few Shadowrun campaigns that have gone on for 5-10, or even a lifetime. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

N&S's "Setting" has the potential to emulate dozens of fantasy, contemporary, and near future genres (and combined with other Palladium games, dozens more). You can do anything from chambara, wuxia, anime, historical, cyberpunk (with a lot of work), sword & sorcery, high fantasy, martial arts, espionage, horror (though only with the Mystic China tie-in, and the BTS or Nightspawnbane expansion), 'asian' (for all those Chinese, Japanese, and pseudo- versions of Asian settings), contemporary "thriller" or "action", and tons of other areas. Admittedly, post-apocalyptic, apocalyptic, steam-punk, true horror, paranormal investigation, science fiction, space, anthropormophic, super hero, and some other genres would need other sources as well, but N&S's basic setup allows you to more or less incorporate it into these genres with a little work.

There is nothing more satisfying than beating the heck outta mega mutants with a kickboxer.
Haha i've got over 600 SDC
Well with that natural 20 i just did 40 HP.
:shock:
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”