$72 Bucks For A Nightbane Book?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

$72 Bucks For A Nightbane Book?

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Get a load of this.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Didn't take long for the speculators to try to take advantage of it being discontinued.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

$72 is still kind of rediculous.

I could see the price reaching that in a few years, maybe.

But right now? No, unless they are really that hard to find.

~ Josh
Mike Taylor

Umm, I kinda knew that already.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: $72 Bucks For A Nightbane Book?

Unread post by JTwig »

Mike Taylor wrote:Get a load of this.

Thats nothing. I've seen an Exalted (by White Wolf) $15.99 book reach $180 before the game switched to a second edition.
Mike Taylor

Yeah, but was the book written by one of your friends?

I've also seen BESM 2E listed for $100 and several other books for even more, but I don't know any of the authors.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

This sort of thing always cracks me up - especially since usually there are copies you can find for less than the MSRP floating around.

Like here.

But somebody wants to plunk down more cash for something you can get cheaper elsewhere, more power to ya'.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Mike Taylor

Jason got a good laugh out of it. I sent him the link before I posted it here.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

You Know wrote:This sort of thing always cracks me up - especially since usually there are copies you can find for less than the MSRP floating around.

Like here.

But somebody wants to plunk down more cash for something you can get cheaper elsewhere, more power to ya'.

I found a "used" (didn't look used) copy of Shadows of Light in an FLGS the other day for about $10.

I already have a copy, but I bought the $10 copy anyways.

Considering how much Amazon is selling it for, my $10 slightly-used copy was too good of a bargain to pass up.

:lol:

(Joking aside, I did buy it, a friend wanted a copy and opprotunity knocked...)

~ Josh
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

Mike Taylor wrote:Yeah, but was the book written by one of your friends?

I've also seen BESM 2E listed for $100 and several other books for even more, but I don't know any of the authors.

Makes me wonder if I should try to sell my BESM books. I hardly use them anyway.
Mike Taylor

mindwyr wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:Yeah, but was the book written by one of your friends?

Makes me wonder if I should try to sell my BESM books. I hardly use them anyway.

You probably wouldn't get anywhere near that. Honestly, I don't think the $100 BESM book sold.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Jason Vey wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I was here and thought I'd chime in.

My response to Mike was: "Wow, look at that. I really am the author of a 'hotly sought-after collector's item!' How cool is that? :p"

And yes, to avoid rampant "ego" speculation, I was making a jest.

The current one on there is $49.96. Still just a tad high, methinks, for a book that didn't even squeeze in XP charts :oops:

I've seen the book at two seperate game stores here in Colorado a week or so ago priced normally. :-D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

I just sold a Jadeclaw book to a guy in France for $30 and I paid $5 for it as a used book at the game store in Vegas when I lived there. It seems the books are hard to come by. When I did a search at the time others were selling the book for $90 to $150 which I thought was insane so I listed the book much, much lower. Obviously, it sold fast.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for making easy money but setting the price that high kinda disgusted me.
Mike Taylor

duck-foot wrote:they aren't easy. but, discontinued books have a way of becoming steep in price. try buying any Lost Regiment books, they are paper back books that should be no more than 8$, but because they are discontinued there like 20$ now.

Yeah, but SoL has actually dropped in price.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Could be threads like this had an effect on the price. A lot of people who buy and sell those books cruise here too. That is just wild speculation but you never know. Definitely puts a positive spin on posting on the PB Boards.

:D
Mike Taylor

MASTERMIND wrote:Could be threads like this had an effect on the price. A lot of people who buy and sell those books cruise here too. That is just wild speculation but you never know. Definitely puts a positive spin on posting on the PB Boards.

But... $72? Unless its a really old, out-of-print RPG book with a low circulation, say the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, I just don't see myself dropping that kind of cash. Doubly so for BESM 2E at $100.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Mike Taylor wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:Could be threads like this had an effect on the price. A lot of people who buy and sell those books cruise here too. That is just wild speculation but you never know. Definitely puts a positive spin on posting on the PB Boards.

But... $72? Unless its a really old, out-of-print RPG book with a low circulation, say the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, I just don't see myself dropping that kind of cash. Doubly so for BESM 2E at $100.

Actually, I meant it the other way around. The price was horribly high. Then we talk about it being too high, like we are now. Then the books drop to a reasonable price. I didn't mean to imply these threads were driving the price up, I meant the other way around.
Mike Taylor

Ah.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Quester wrote:If i could get that much for my books, I MIGHT consider selling them due to my current financial situation.

If I could get half that per book I might consider selling my books. It sucks to be broke (bankrupt; of course if I was actually bankrupt I'd have more money since I'd have no more debt) doesn't it.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

WOOHOO!!! My copy of NB WB 4: Shadows of Light came in the mail today! My collection is complete (excluding Rifters Nightbane stuff of course). I am so happy!

:lol:

I appreciate folks pointing out the good deals on Ebay. Helps to save a poor gamer his hard earned money and still buy great books.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Okies for those who own it, is Shadows of Light worth the inflated prices? Cause if it is I'll add it to my collection as soon as I can afford it :)
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

asajosh wrote:Okies for those who own it, is Shadows of Light worth the inflated prices? Cause if it is I'll add it to my collection as soon as I can afford it :)

I have the book it's pretty good but imo not worth the 72$ price tag. At most 45-50$. My advice unless you absolutely want to complete your NB collection hold off on buying it.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

Agreed. Hold off buying it until you can find a more reasonable price (unless you are a fanatic and constantly run Nightbane campaigns).
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Fanatic? No. But it would fill out my collection of NB books...
Oh well thanks for the honest opinions, I'll wait till I find a copy. Maybe I'll get lucky at the used book store.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

asajosh wrote:Fanatic? No. But it would fill out my collection of NB books...
Oh well thanks for the honest opinions, I'll wait till I find a copy. Maybe I'll get lucky at the used book store.

If your looking for a copy, checkout Dessi (sp?) post in the classified section. He has a copy for sale. I have no clue how much he wants for it, but he has been very reasonable with the few books I purchased from him so far.
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

Actually i have even found a copy of the book at a retailer. I did not even know the book existed until I happened upon the rifter that said it was discontinued. Check your local game stores and just ask if one of them can get it for you. some of their distributers still have some in stock
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Mike Taylor

Thread Necromancers!

EVERYBODY RUUUUN!!! :eek:

Nice to see some of my threads still garner interest. :D
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Mike Taylor wrote:Thread Necromancers!

EVERYBODY RUUUUN!!! :eek:
And even the necromancers didn't point out yet that the link is now: $199.95 :shock:
No wonder I've had a hard time locating it.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Josh Sinsapaugh

$200?

That's rediculous.

~Josh
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

in reality ten dollars. (sold to used book store) Online up to 200 apparently
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Mike Taylor

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:$200?

That's rediculous.

~Josh

Ditto.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Mephisto wrote:unless it is seriously unprofitable for them to do so I think they should have a second printing of SoL on the website, it's not like the books are perishable items.

Not perishable, but when they don't sell they are a liability. From what I understand, Palladium has to pay to print a run of books, then try and sell them. They don't profit until enough of them have sold to repay the printing cost. Thus, if the books move slow, the money just sits in the warehouse doing Kev and crew no good (can pay utilities with the books themselves). From what I heard, SoL did NOT sell well at all (for whatever reason), meaning it would be a bad idea to pay for a reprint now.

Not to mention, I believe Kev has stated that he was dissatisfied with the way the book turned out in the end. So, maybe he has taken the chance (the stock running out) to discontinue it to rectify what he percieves as a mistake. Purely speculation here, but it seems plausible to me.

Not to mention, no reprints drives up the value of my copy. :P
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Mephisto wrote:I work in warehousing and distribution and know that product sits in the racking for months upon months, and it drives me batty. But from a company perspective, to "not" offer it is more of a liability than a benefit, especially since from a logistical aspect you have enough product on hand to warrent the demand... I bet when Palladium was in better financial straits Kevin would be more willing to have older product on stock. So hopefully in the future Palladium will be more willing to carry old stock, because in the end, if one buys one book, one might be more willing to buy another book. And if Palladium sells of of a print run of an old book, they are making money and that ensures the ongoing viability of Palladium.

Again, I did say that it probably wasn't worth the invesment now. As far as not offering it in the future, there would have to be other factors involved in such a decision (such as if he were to decide that the book just wasn't up to the standards he wanted to maintain with his material and to scrap it rather than re-do it).

But yeah, from what I understand the lack of back-stock right now has more to do with the cost to reprint entire book runs (which is why you've seen limited printings of key titles). It's part of Kevin keeping operations streamlined to get Palladium back on its feet quicker, and it seems to be working. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I got my copy at North Coast Role Playing for the cover price. Man I love my hometown gaming store.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Nightbane®”