Deterioration of Body Armor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Using logic I would say "Yes" the already damaged location would be more weak to new attacks.

But by canon that dont happen. The same location just take more damage with no additional effect.
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

I guess one interesting way to do it is that unless there are extenuating circumstances, armor can only be repaired 90%. So an extreme case would be 80 MDC armor that's brought down to 1 MDC, can only be repaired up to 72 MDC (can't make it 'new' again, just 'fixed'). And the next time, it can only be repaired up to 65 MDC...Or similar to have some mechanism of permanent damage. This way 'weak spots' are wholesale lessening of the armor quality. It doesn't require any extra dice-rolls and gives the player a pretty good idea of how chewed up and warn out his armor is.

The game isn't designed for 'weak spots' in the armor (if you had those, PC's would be spattered every time a laser blast hit a weakspot). Armor is treated like it's some sort fo ablative force-field that distributes all trauma evenly across the entire surface...

And you know what, I'm OK with that.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Re: Deterioration of Body Armor

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Shinitenshi wrote:So my buddy wants to know how the break down of damaged body armor would go. Like say the body armor has an MDC of 35 then it takes 12 points of damage so would there be a weakened spot. If there is a damaged spot and that gets hit with a blast again would it take more damage due to it already being weak? Also would there maybe a type of "called shot" to hit that spot. Like if you roll over a certain number naturally, it hits that damaged spot and if you roll under that number you hit a different portion of the armor?

Just posting this for him to get some feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you think.

Thanks!
Realsiticaly, its not going to happen, Even a laser hitting armor will cause the body to shift, then theirs the constant movemtn of combat

Bascialy the way I have salways had it is that your basic "Crit" covers things sutch as hitting a week spot or patch on your armor
冠双
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it's not sanely possible. know how many recorded cases of shooting though the SAME SPOT on a moving target have been recorded?

None iv'e heard of. and I seriously doubt such a case even exsists.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:it's not sanely possible. know how many recorded cases of shooting though the SAME SPOT on a moving target have been recorded?

None iv'e heard of. and I seriously doubt such a case even exsists.

Anny Oakliy was recored for doing that kind of thing as well as Buffalo Bill. Granted it wasn't armor but they were know and recorded to have hit things like a Playing card in the same place as it was moving VIA a horse of course. But trick shooting is something that only Gunfighters and Gunslingers could do on rifts and even then a moving target has a better chance of not getting hit in the same spot twice.
Sorry, Nekira I had to bring up Anny Oakliy :lol:

allright. two of billions who've used guns. I'm still confident in my position.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The rules don't support shooting the same weakened spot repeatedly, except in the sense that the Torso is one spot, the helmet is another, etc.
Not completely realistic, but a completely realistic system would take about an hour or more of real time to play our a second or two in-game.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Chuck McDaniel
Explorer

Unread post by Chuck McDaniel »

I would say from a large blast the joints in the armor would be the first and fastest break down points. In a fire fight I would say role for location of hits and go from there.

As for Anne Oakley and Buffalo bill shooting the same spot, that was more of a controlled enviroment than a battlefield would ever be and most of the time the crowd was hushed and the horse trotted at a predetermined speed.

I'm sorry but I don't see the praticapants in a firefight hushing so someone can hit the same spot twice or your target practicing with you at a certain speed before the battle and keeping that speed throughout the battle so you can do so.

Chuck
It's God's job to judge the D-bees, It's our job to arrange the meeting! -Smiling Jack SAMAS bumper sticker.

Return to “Rifts®”