Antarctica

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Despite the fact that some people might groan about it, Antarctica does have a lot of potential.

Granted, as far as I am concerned, there would be very few humans there, if any.

~ Josh
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Teenage mutant Ninja Penguins!
Teenage mutant Ninja Penguins!
Heros in a Black Tux!
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

darkmax wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Despite the fact that some people might groan about it, Antarctica does have a lot of potential.

Granted, as far as I am concerned, there would be very few humans there, if any.

~ Josh

I like the fact that one may actually find some hidden alien spaceships that had laid there before human even evolved. Or a crashed man-made orbital space station with tons of info, special power source, and/or library with a great population of mutants.......

Plus, there is that lake - I forget its name - that is sealed far beneath the ice and has been sealed for a looooong time.

What's down there?

Heck, even in the real world the speculation over that question is interesting.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

I was thinking of Lake Vostok.

Apparently, the continent has seventy or so sub-glacial lakes.

~ Josh
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Can't believe no one has mentioned it, but someone had done extensive fan work for Antarctica including maps, etc. It was on the internet 5-6 years ago when I was playing Rifts seriously. When I had it printed out at one point it was at least 10 pages. Maybe with a little googlefu it can be found.

Edit: Either my googlefu is weak, or the site is no longer up. The link I found to Rifts Antarctica on geocities is now a Star Trek fansite.
Last edited by LostOne on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Josh Sinsapaugh

Alejandro wrote:Why can't it just be a giant chunk of ice?

For a post apocalyptic world Rifts Earth sure isn't lacking in technology every 5 feet or some new civilization popping up. It wouldn't surprise me to find a CS contingent already on Antarctica and they found...I dunno...*pulls the slot machine's handle*...gold...uranium...and the last one says...brocolli? Sounds about right for Rifts.

:roll:

Nobody here has suggested that it be covered in civilization.

Except for darkmax's joke about the TGE, that is.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

LostOne wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned it, but someone had done extensive fan work for Antarctica including maps, etc. It was on the internet 5-6 years ago when I was playing Rifts seriously. When I had it printed out at one point it was at least 10 pages. Maybe with a little googlefu it can be found.

I was going to mention it.

However, seeing as it is not available on the web anymore (at least as far as I can tell), I didn't want to tease anyone that really wanted to see it.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Alejandro wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote::roll:

Nobody here has suggested that it be covered in civilization.

Except for darkmax's joke about the TGE, that is.

~ Josh

My sarcasm flew over your head so fast your hair's still moving.

You do realize that tone of voice is usually unpercievable within a text-based medium, right?

Your post came across more as k'vetching (and bashing the idea) than it did as sarcasm.

~ Josh
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I was going to mention it.

However, seeing as it is not available on the web anymore (at least as far as I can tell), I didn't want to tease anyone that really wanted to see it.

I mentioned it because occasionally someone will post saying "I saved a copy of it, let me post it somewhere." I've even rarely had the actual author post saying "I pulled it because I thought no one liked it, let me put it back up."

Wishful thinking? Possibly.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Josh Sinsapaugh

LostOne wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I was going to mention it.

I mentioned it because occasionally someone will post saying "I saved a copy of it, let me post it somewhere." I've even rarely had the actual author post saying "I pulled it because I thought no one liked it, let me put it back up."

Wishful thinking? Possibly.

Possibly.

We can hope though. :)

~ Josh
rifter72
D-Bee

Unread post by rifter72 »

well maybe its a Splugorthian winter resort?
MikePGS
D-Bee

Unread post by MikePGS »

Maybe the creator just decided to make it a Star Trek Rifts Crossover?:) Seriously, its hard to say what it would have been like when the rifts came to earth (A date which i forget currently) . With the current belief of global warming its definitely not out of the picture to imagine a few scientific research stations on the continent at the time when the rifts came. And who's to say what would have happened? Would they have been wiped out due to radiation, would there be giant tsunamis that would have buried the stations and eventually frozen them into chunks of ice? It could be a real treasure horde as far as prerifts science goes. Then again, you could always just do the North Pole and make it a hollow earth, and or santas workshop:) Oh and you should throw in some mutant penguins.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I was once in a campaign where the characters went there. We ended up there thanks to a random roll through the bermuda triangle. Once there we found ruins of the scientific stations that are there now. The rest of the campaign was trying to survive the harsh conditions and getting off that place to somewhere, anywhere else.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Clearly it is occupied by a CS base complete with Penguinboys and Abominable Skelebots and Polar SAMAS. :)

I've been trying to remember what the Rifts Antarctica website had detailed for it, because I thought it sounded fun (never got a chance to use it, the group kept ignoring the plot hooks :-x ). I think I remember there being a bermuda triangle type area on the ice and inside of it was a lush jungle oasis. So imagine walking from a blizzard where you can't see things 2 inches in front of you into a warm humid jungle.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

darkmax wrote:Nay, never the CS. They cannot even move themselves into South America.

South America is occupied. They probably could, but it would involve many battles. As far as we know Antarctica is unoccupied. First come, first served.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Despite the fact that some people might groan about it, Antarctica does have a lot of potential.

~ Josh

I disagree.

There is plenty of potential. In the form of a basic blank slate.

How I'd play it.
About 3 massive enclosed human domed cities that were there pre-rifts and are struggling to survive.
One city that has fallen to alien/D-bee/demonic invaders.
One or two nomadic D-bee cultures.
Some Palladium Ice Giants.
Alien flora and fauna that can survive in the cold and darkness for half the year. Transforming the ice and rock environment into something that can support life.
And one alien/demonic invader that either has the technology or is naturally suited to survive down there.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Rahmota
Adventurer

Unread post by Rahmota »

Actually in my game world I have Antartica a vast icy wilderness with all of the old bases buried beneath the ice The Navy (they dont consider themselves new but still the same old Navy) have a small holdout base there they are working on.

As for the CS being able to get to Antarctica I am sure they could. The ships themselves are technically capableit is the politics that would stop them really.
TANSTAAFL!
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I remember that website. I also remember I copied the stuff from that website and printed the stuff out too!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
MikePGS
D-Bee

Unread post by MikePGS »

Does it mention anything in underseas about a refueling station there or anything?
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd have to find it amongst the three boxes of printed material I have from the web I accumulated over the years. The boxes are printer paper boxes.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

In the stuff from the web, it was more than just refueling and outpost.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

The thing is, there may never be anything for Antartica. So therefore until there is it's the next best thing to being there! :D :D

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Not from my prespective. I've got all of that material, along with other things I've worked on over the years.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Seriously! Cool! Could you post a link. I'd love to read about it. That does make sense with the extinction level that happened at the end of that era. Now they have a smoking gun for the cause of it! I hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it. WOW!!!

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”