Way of The _____?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Part of the neatness of Way of the Lance is its limited utility; if it can be applied to every attack, you run the risk of no one using Way of the Lance, unless you beef it up.

Now, if you're looking to make a "Weapons-Master" OCC, who focuses on a single weapon type to the exclusion of all others, Way of the Lance and the abilities of Monks would be a good place to look. But I'd be wary of letting Knights and Palladins switch them out, wily-nilly.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

We added a Weapon Mastery skill:

W.P. Weapon Mastery
+2 Strike & Parry with a particular type of weapon, i.e. Bastard Sword, Bearded War Axe, Kukri, etc. Must have 2 levels worth of experience with particular W.P. and have used the weapon for a significant amount of time to select (GM discretion).

It's not nearly as much of an add-on as a "Way of the [WEAPON]" as you've suggested. But I suppose you could change the bonus(es) or effects to suit your need or desire. Change the crit range, or damage bonus, for instance. Or give a new bonus or effect every 1, 2, or 3 additional levels. It's really entirely up to the individual GM. We didn't go too far with it because we're trying at all times to minimize power creep.

And it's the sort of thing any character could use, as long as the GM approves it. We just make it so the character has to specify a particular type of weapon, not just a broad category. For example: a scimitar as opposed to long sword. Though one could change it to cover all weapons of a certain type (W.P. Weapon Mastery: Axes) if one wanted.

Ø
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Weapon Mastery article in one of the recent Rifters could work for this as well.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've used the skills NMI was talking about several times. Limit it to Men at Arms, and the skill exchange works well.

Before we started using the Rifter rule we did make one exception, and have kept it up. Wolfen, or other races that can't ride a horse exchange the lance for another weapon. Each group of knights, or race used a different weapon. A whole group of Dwarves from the same order might all use a axe, where Wolfen may favor a spear.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”