GM's when do you....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

A good GM does not kill a player. Players kill themselves.

They do so by talking trash to the NPC when they shouldn't, standing and fighting when they should run, sacrificing themselves for a noble cause, or otherwise doing something they shouldn't.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

K20A2_S wrote:
Subjugator wrote:A good GM does not kill a player. Players kill themselves.

They do so by talking trash to the NPC when they shouldn't, standing and fighting when they should run, sacrificing themselves for a noble cause, or otherwise doing something they shouldn't.

/Sub
While I absolutely believe this, sometimes that NPC just happens to roll that 20 and take his head off.....

You should always give the PC's a chance to win, or a chance to flee.......if they're reluctant then they deserve it. Some PC's just always love to fight to the death and like to see how close they can get.....

That's when they've killed themselves.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

In all my gaming, I've only lost 2 characters to death...one was because I had a GM who just couldn't handle the power of my PC and had to cheat to kill him, not to mention my PC thwarted far too many plans...and the other was self-sacrifice...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Beatleguise wrote:NO character is to powerful, or unbalancing. There is always an NPC somewhere, that is worse.

Take a look at the quasi-legal munchkin thread :demon: I'm sure you could find some characters that could be too powerful and unbalancing.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Legion wrote:
Shadyslug wrote:...one was because I had a GM who just couldn't handle the power of my PC and had to cheat to kill him, not to mention my PC thwarted far too many plans...

GMs do not cheat :lol:

Of course we do... :-D
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Shadyslug wrote:
Legion wrote:
Shadyslug wrote:...one was because I had a GM who just couldn't handle the power of my PC and had to cheat to kill him, not to mention my PC thwarted far too many plans...

GMs do not cheat :lol:

Of course we do... :-D

Yes, we GM's cheat alot, but usually in favor of the players.... unless they just really deserve it :lol:
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

I once dropped a mountian on a group pf players, wiping them from the face of the(unnamed Game world here). Why you ask? Am I a horriable GM? Not fair you say? Nope, sometimes PC's and there players are simply idiots. The do or say things to annoy the great and powerful gaming gods, and must be reminded of there lowly place in the world. That and they pulled on Odins beard.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Death only results if the character does something really, really stupid.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Semisonic9 wrote:Yeah, but, regarding death...it's a game. You can always come back! Sometimes with new and frightening powers. :demon:

~Semi
done that a few times, never leave a man behind unless you know he is dead
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Sovereign wrote:
unknownhero wrote:It's never a good thing killing someone. My cousins and I have tried killing each other on many bases lol. It's fun. But those are just for fun, or when we don't have a goal, we go around and fight things for no reason. I had a Destroy' borg my cousin tried to kill for about 5 years. I ended dying from saving a New member of my family who was try to be a hero but was way out of his class. So i died saving him. My cousin and I have made some what of a House rule lol you got 3 lives. after that its over. The truth is you can GM open roll ( letting everyone see how the GM rolls) or so do it behind a folder. When they wanna see me roll then its straight roll, if they die there dead. Because in most case I Decide if he gets hit or not. Member your the GM if you want him dead then he's dead, but theres should never be a reason to kill a PC unless he's sleeping with you man/women then go all out. lol i got mad at someone who called me a crappy DM? Fawker called me a Dungeon Master... i don't play D&D i freakin hate it. so he played a female elf , who didn't know what wrong with taking off your helmet in Chi-town area. I team of CS rape and kill him.. I never knew why he wanted to play a women lol. but he never played again... I wonder why.

...no...words.

Wow... the illiteracy almost matches the idiocy...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Ravenwing
Hero

unknownhero wrote:It's never a good thing killing someone. My cousins and I have tried killing each other on many bases lol. It's fun. But those are just for fun, or when we don't have a goal, we go around and fight things for no reason. I had a Destroy' borg my cousin tried to kill for about 5 years. I ended dying from saving a New member of my family who was try to be a hero but was way out of his class. So i died saving him. My cousin and I have made some what of a House rule lol you got 3 lives. after that its over. The truth is you can GM open roll ( letting everyone see how the GM rolls) or so do it behind a folder. When they wanna see me roll then its straight roll, if they die there dead. Because in most case I Decide if he gets hit or not. Member your the GM if you want him dead then he's dead, but theres should never be a reason to kill a PC unless he's sleeping with you man/women then go all out. lol i got mad at someone who called me a crappy DM? Fawker called me a Dungeon Master... i don't play D&D i freakin hate it. so he played a female elf , who didn't know what wrong with taking off your helmet in Chi-town area. I team of CS rape and kill him.. I never knew why he wanted to play a women lol. but he never played again... I wonder why.

Thats just wrong..... on so many levels. And not just the writing skill either. I know I've made more then my fair share of grammar,spelling and such, but that made like no sense. Can we get a redraft?

And why would the CS squad( I assume it was a squad) rape a d-bee? She's a freaking non-human freak o'nature. No proper minded human supremist is gonna want that.
Mithrindir
D-Bee

Unread post by Mithrindir »

I have been a player and have died before. got up to like 5th or 6th level as cyber knight. I really liked and enjoyed that character. How ever. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and missed the saving through and then the ground I was on became a river of Lava... Then Bloop there just was no saving me.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Subjugator wrote:A good GM does not kill a player. Players kill themselves.

/Sub

Agreed, although I tell players every time I enter combat with then the they are F****ng dead man, your toast. I just gets the heart pumping a little.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Ravenwing
Hero

Semisonic9 wrote:Vote for K20..."or the terrorists win!"

~Semi

No way am I letting Lazlo win!! :lol:
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

I can honestly say I've never set out to kill off a PC but I've also never given them a free pass on doing something stupid either. Push a bad position when everything in the world says you should just leave it alone and you deserve the gruesome things that happen to your characters.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Galen wrote:First, I've seen this many times on the boards, but I'm not quite sure what it means. What is 'meta-gaming'? I thought it was a person (usually the GM) steering the game along a particlular story. Not so-much rail-roading as keeping the big picture and a larger storyline in mind.

Meta-gaming is when you start thinking, not as your character, but as a person playing a game, so assuming there are game-like solutions to problems. (e.g. There has to be a way out of this ambush, since the GM wouldn't want to kill us all.)

GMs, IMO, are some of the worst metagamers, when they start insisting on metagaming solutions and challenges to problems.... old D&D modules were really bad about this. Inhabited keeps which were trapped every which way, despite these being doors and corridors that would be traveled regularly (How do you actually live in this place?)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”