Things to improve on next year

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Things to improve on next year

Unread post by rat_bastard »

OK, first I am not Dissing the open house, but I feel that our goal should be a better open house every year. So this thread is to make suggestions on what to do better in the next Open house based on what you felt where mistakes in the last two.

For me I saw three primary problems:

#1 the Game sign up was terrible, the sheets did not list when the games took place so you had to search through the sheets and the time sheet to match what you wanted, and it should have been all posted on a board that multiple people should have signed up for.

#2 get a better voice amplification toy than a Karaoke machine, nobody could hear you.

#3 Kevin, your game is the holy grail of gaming at the OH, and even if you ran games non stop from friday to sunday you would not be able to let everybody play. So raffle off tickets to your game, run a GM's only game that only people who have taken the time to run a game can play in as a reward. This will prevent hurt feeling to a degree.

thats all I got for now.. any thoughts?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Oh, and even if Subbie did buy 7000 raffle tickets, he only gets to play once. :P
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Great idea RB, couple of comments:

1. Game Sign up: there was vast improvement from last year to this year and after Levi and Diane got done separating the sheets into time slots things were even better. I know next year (and there will be a next year) things will be even better.

2. Kevin's games: A paid raffle for one of his games is a great idea but a "free" for anyone in attendance, that is interested "lottery" would be great as well.

3. Games run for Freelancers/Artists only: or maybe just a couple of seats saved for them in a late block of games. I know some of the artists particulary wanted to play but did not get the chance.

4. Julius Clones: We would need at least 3, 1 to get things done around the OH, Julius was everywhere at once. 2 to run games non-stop, he is a great GM and everyone in his games had a blast. 3 to tell stories, a open to close Julius storytelling seminar. The original Julius could just play games and enjoy himself.

That is my 2 cents.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ninjabunny wrote:First, I'm with you on the GM game. I'll allow any G.M., Freelancer, Palladium staff memeber, or fan that wants to play into my game next year. My saturday game was a hit, Me throwing chairs and yelling and acting out what happened seemed to be a big hit. So I would diffentily let anyone in one my game next year.
Second The next year we need a hotel that will put everyone in the same area not spread across the whole hotel. Shini, Clovie (our freind, and me were no where near anyone else and that sucked.
Third, more panels. Enough said.
Thats all I can think of for now. :P

Also the floors are to hard for you, your room needs to be padded...
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

All great ideas, but last time I heard, there is no guarantee that there will be a next Open House. I'm hoping though.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

Vinny wrote:All great ideas, but last time I heard, there is no guarantee that there will be a next Open House. I'm hoping though.

I hope that we can convey, that even if we have to have the OH in a dirty park by the freeway... we want one.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Reddenedone wrote:
Vinny wrote:All great ideas, but last time I heard, there is no guarantee that there will be a next Open House. I'm hoping though.

I hope that we can convey, that even if we have to have the OH in a dirty park by the freeway... we want one.

Kevin said that he OH tradition will continue, if there is no warehouse next year then there will be no 08 Open house, but there will be a 09 open house.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Reddenedone wrote:

No doubt. I hope they make this an annual event.
The Phoenix is Coming!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

rat_bastard wrote:
Reddenedone wrote:

Kevin said that he OH tradition will continue, if there is no warehouse next year then there will be no 08 Open house, but there will be a 09 open house.

ahEM
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

I don't know about MI, but in Texas, Knights of Columbus halls and NG Armories usually have reasonable rental rates.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I remember a lot of booze....we had it at the Freelancers Table, y'know, because us artists are so trustworthy with that kind of thing.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Next year it will be me dressed as the blind warrior woman. :P
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

rat_bastard wrote:Next year it will be me dressed as the blind warrior woman. :P

I'll make sure not to bring my kids then, too much of a Horror Factor :D
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

verdilak wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Next year it will be me dressed as the blind warrior woman. :P

It could be worse... Me ad Subbie and Reelman could dress up as Blind Warrior Women!!1 ewwwww...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Wow, thats one low-rent Splugorith....
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

The Deific NMI wrote:
verdilak wrote:

It could be worse... Me ad Subbie and Reelman could dress up as Blind Warrior Women!!1 ewwwww...

I guess we figured a way to clear everyone out at midnight. Diane does not like me to show that much skin in public (or private for that matter). :eek:
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Reelman wrote:Game Sign up: there was vast improvement from last year to this year and after Levi and Diane got done separating the sheets into time slots things were even better. I know next year (and there will be a next year) things will be even better.

I'm sure it will be as well. I made some suggestions to Wayne, and I'm pretty sure I debated my side well enough to make them stick. Depending on how busy I am next year, I'll even volunteer to help coordinate pre-registration for games. Essentially, I suggested a 50/50 system with half of available slots being open for pre-registration. That way, it would hopefuly cut down on the number of people needing to stand in line.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I think having the times/tables/etc on the sign up sheets have been addressed enough, and they'll do it differently in the future.

Here's a new one. See if there's a way to have no games going during the seminars. For example, open the doors on Saturday at what, 9:30?
Have the seminars from 11-12 and 12-1 then gaming commences after that.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Xar wrote:I think having the times/tables/etc on the sign up sheets have been addressed enough, and they'll do it differently in the future.

Here's a new one. See if there's a way to have no games going during the seminars. For example, open the doors on Saturday at what, 9:30?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't give much time for the panels, as well as making scheduling even more of a headache (I probably just about made Wayne pop a blood vessel). :-?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Xar wrote:I think having the times/tables/etc on the sign up sheets have been addressed enough, and they'll do it differently in the future.

The thing is, not everybody is interested in the seminars.

Yes, people will find themselves having to choose between playing in a game they want, and in seeing a seminar they want, but there's too much going on at the Open House for people to get to do everything that they want.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Things to improve on next year

Unread post by Spinachcat »

rat_bastard wrote:I feel that our goal should be a better open house every year.

Great idea!

The OH was WAY better organized that I imagined for a convention only on its second year. Kudos to PB on making that happen.

(1) I agree on the Pre-Reg. The ability to pre-reg at the VIP night really was wonderful, but we need an easier way than one book to be passed around. I snagged the last spot in Kevin's second game around 12:20 that night. That alone made VIP Night essential.

(2) Kevin needs to run more games so the number of players can be limited and the interaction increased. His PF game was awesome fun.
I would love to play Rifts with him at OH 3.

A raffle for seats would be a good idea. I am quite sure a charity raffle would do nicely, especially if there was some kind of "commemerative doodad"

A GM Only game would be great. BTW, wasn't there supposed to be some surprise for the GMs?

(3) Better promotion of the 24 hour hotel rooms is needed because the hotel did not put up any notices and many people did not even know there was gaming to be done or where. I was lucky I bumped into Braden who had all the secret lore of the Ramada.

(4) A more unified gaming schedule would be good. With games starting and ending all up and down the clock, it was hard for some people to maximize their gaming time. I got lucky repeatedly.

(5) It would be fun for the freelancers to pitch their new stuff on VIP night and just have each one give a 2 minute song and dance on what they are working on or what they have completed.

(6) I think this is going to sort itself out, but hopefully more artists will bring prints because it seems like the OH would be a great place for $5-$20 prints to sell like hotcakes.

(7) We need more kraut & sausage and swedish meatballs!
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

One thing I think would help with the registration would be to have multiple schedule copies posted and to move the registration from near the front door. People were stuck outside not because there was a hold up getting badges, but because of the traffic jam from the sign up list.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

kamikazzijoe wrote:One thing I think would help with the registration would be to have multiple schedule copies posted and to move the registration from near the front door. People were stuck outside not because there was a hold up getting badges, but because of the traffic jam from the sign up list.

..True, after waiting for nearly ninety minutes I gave up and didn't sign for a single game.

-Mike <8[
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Also MI has leash laws and nobody put a leash on MMM, or followed him around with a plastic bag.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

rat_bastard wrote:Also MI has leash laws and nobody put a leash on MMM, or followed him around with a plastic bag.

Blame Xar, he's the one that brought him. :lol:
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

In seriousness, that no fault accident law was a bit of a shocker.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!

Return to “Palladium Open House”