open house 08?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

who would got to oh even if it wasnt at palldium. like being held in a rented convetion center or hotel convetion room.

i would!
96%
no way.
4%

Total votes: 99

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

rat_bastard wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Maryann wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:My dad runs Science fiction conventions for fun, I can ask him how he deals with liability. I'm pretty sure its just setting some money aside, banning real weapons and expecting people to act like adults.

Is your dad running it as an individual or as a company? If the name of Palladium Books is attached to the OH then the corporation is liable. Its very different for an individual throwing a "con" and a company sanctioning it.

To be clear, I'd be running a convention for fans of Palladium. I would not be asking Palladium to sanction the Con, though they'd all be welcome to attend and would have space for sales and the like. All profits would go to Palladium as a donation at the end of the convention (I'd pay taxes first though).

/Sub

yea subbie, but you would need to get big names like Kevin to get people to come... :P

I don't know about that. People were asking for Subbie's autograph at the OH this year.

~ Josh
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Subbie would not sign my breasts this year... :-(
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Subjugator wrote:
Maryann wrote:Ok not to be a wet blanket or anything, but you do realize that the reason Kev is saying there may not be an open house next year is that is THE weekend they would be moving the warehouse/office. Yes the OH could be moved to another weekend, but that entire month or two around May 2008 is going to be absolutely crazy for them.

Another problem with renting hall/banquet type space is the liability issue. If Palladium sanctions this they would be liable for anything that might happen. And if you hold it the same weekend as the last two years there won't be any Palladium staff there.

I was thinking of naming it something else, and forming an LLC to be the sponsor of it. I wouldn't be asking that they sanction it - though I'd give them free space for anything they wanted to bring (actually, I'd charge a buck to establish the veil of protection for 'em). I'd also buy insurance to cover any problems (which would be relatively cheap).

/Sub

Check into the cost of the insurance and check into whether or not the venue your planning on using will allow such an event. Sometimes they require X amount of dollars worth of liability insurance with them as a named insured before they'll agree to rent it. Some homeowners insurance will extend the liability coverage from your home insurance to the venue, its called a "social host" contract. Check with your homeowners policy for that.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

The Deific NMI wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
asajosh wrote:Not at the Ramada for the love of god, that place is a rip off joint (still steamed over my screwed up reservations).

For me it wasn't screwed up reservations, but that the bed had a huge pit in the middle of it (I think it was a broken box spring).
Was that the in the first room you had or the room you had with Lonnie and Kendra? If it was the second, then you were sleeping in my bed and it was fine for me. Except for the gas I had from tacos.

The first one. It sucked.

I replaced your gas with mine and it worked fine.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I believe that they said that this time frame was picked because it's a slow industry time frame. So, it works out well to do something like the Open House, or to do something like move a business, which is way more complicated than most people think.

One of Kevin's latest murmurs mentions a parade of events coming up, so they'd have to choose....
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

So should we all start planning what games to run, and travel arangements yet?
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

sawg138 wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:So should we all start planning what games to run, and travel arangements yet?

Keep them flexible, but I'm already plotting my next pilgrimage.

Yeah, I think the funds for an OH trip will become part of my permanent budget so long as I can afford it and Palladium (or Subbie :lol: ) throws it. :D
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

08' I'ma try and just meet someone up in St.louis and ride with them.
Milander
D-Bee

Unread post by Milander »

I'd be up for it anywhere around...The Rat-mada? I dont know about that..but there was a hotel next door...Super8 maybe...doubt it's as bad :D
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

According to Kevin, the lease ends 05-04-2008. I suggested they still have OH that weekend and run the move as a LARP with all the fans helping out.

"Quick! the CS is going to be here in 4 hours...we have to get these supplies moved NOW!!!!"

lol

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Milander wrote:I'd be up for it anywhere around...The Rat-mada? I dont know about that..but there was a hotel next door...Super8 maybe...doubt it's as bad :D

I looked around the interwebs, and the ramada was the only hotel with in room internets and a ballroom.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

hippie_mama wrote:
Lord_Dalgard wrote:Chello!

According to Kevin, the lease ends 05-04-2008. I suggested they still have OH that weekend and run the move as a LARP with all the fans helping out.

"Quick! the CS is going to be here in 4 hours...we have to get these supplies moved NOW!!!!"

lol

Tony

That would be great!

Might kill some players but oh well, it happens. :lol:
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Ravenwing wrote:08' I'ma try and just meet someone up in St.louis and ride with them.

Depending on situations next year, I may be able to help in that regard. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Midnght
OLD ONE
Comment: I do things you only fantasize about.

Unread post by Midnght »

I couldn't make 07 like I did 06. Switched jobs and all etc. But 08 I WILL be there.

I missed you guys!!!
Wolfen Silver Enclosed

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Ghaos of Gamork wrote:I would just like to say with my very first post...PALLADIUM O.H. WAS THE BEST FREAKIN TIME I'VE HAD IN YEARS, DO IT AGAIN!!! ANY TIME ANYWHERE!

Hey Greyaxe, you gotta teach me how to use this thing properly soon.

Yes you too will know my wisdom. :lol:
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Open House must be held again!

It will happen again, even if I have to figure out how to contact an Alien Intelligence and make an unholy pact!
ImageImageImage
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Midnght wrote:I couldn't make 07 like I did 06. Switched jobs and all etc. But 08 I WILL be there.

I missed you guys!!!

Yeah, there was no one to direct traffic this year. :lol:

Seriously though, missed you too big guy. :-(
Milander
D-Bee

Unread post by Milander »

rat_bastard wrote:
Milander wrote:I'd be up for it anywhere around...The Rat-mada? I dont know about that..but there was a hotel next door...Super8 maybe...doubt it's as bad :D

I looked around the interwebs, and the ramada was the only hotel with in room internets and a ballroom.

Well maybe with the idea of repeat business they will fix the rooms up a little bit. I mean seriously..We checked in, discovered there was a room mixup and we got 'upgraded' to the best room in the place (according to the desk) So basically 4 people in a nicely sized room. Bedroom bathroom, 'living room' with pull out, even 2 cots (I've seen MILITARY COTS MORE COMFORTABLE!). Quick run down of problems, broken tiles in celling, broken fridge, AC was 'wonky' yellow stain in the bed that couldnt be removed (oh did I say it was the honeymoon suite?) :eek: Oh and the worse hit of all, no interwebs! :shock: :? So after 2 hours they fixed the net, but the other problems they didnt do anything about.

Sorry RB sorta started ranting and rambling :) But well if next year it IS the Ratmada, I'll bring my camping bed :) (yay for inflatable bed!)
Subjugator

Milander wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

Well maybe with the idea of repeat business they will fix the rooms up a little bit. I mean seriously..We checked in, discovered there was a room mixup and we got 'upgraded' to the best room in the place (according to the desk) So basically 4 people in a nicely sized room. Bedroom bathroom, 'living room' with pull out, even 2 cots (I've seen MILITARY COTS MORE COMFORTABLE!). Quick run down of problems, broken tiles in celling, broken fridge, AC was 'wonky' yellow stain in the bed that couldnt be removed (oh did I say it was the honeymoon suite?) :eek: Oh and the worse hit of all, no interwebs! :shock: :? So after 2 hours they fixed the net, but the other problems they didnt do anything about.

Sorry RB sorta started ranting and rambling :) But well if next year it IS the Ratmada, I'll bring my camping bed :) (yay for inflatable bed!)

Look beyond Livonia. In Troy there's a nice Hilton that can be used. There are others as well.

-Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Palladium is people, not a place. A convention could be anywhere they are.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Josh Hilden wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Palladium is people, not a place. A convention could be anywhere they are.

Then I vote downtown Romulus at The Landing Strip.

:ok:

100 Citizen Lazlo points to the person that describes the place first.

You mean the strip joint, The Landing Strip Lounge?
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Josh Hilden wrote:
verdilak wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:Palladium is people, not a place. A convention could be anywhere they are.

If you have actually been there I'll add 25 more ponts.

:D

Just drove by it, couldnt go in since we had the kids with us. Though we wanted to go,badly, it just didnt happen.

Does that garner me the extra 25 points, or even more sine my wife wants to go too?
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Josh Hilden wrote:
verdilak wrote:
Josh Hilden wrote:

If you have actually been there I'll add 25 more ponts.

:D

25 more points if you know what use to be where the Landing Strip is :D
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Subjugator

While it wouldn't be the same without the Palladium folks, I say we have our own convention. First of all, how do most conventions get started? As I see it, they start because a bunch of people who like something want to get together to talk about it. Well, we could continue with Palladium Con ourselves on the one year that they weren't able to do it themselves. We could have shirts and be silly and have a lot of fun, and then we could all chip in and buy Kev and the crew something nice as a 'thank you' for helping us meet each other and being so darned cool.

All we have to do is call some campground and say, 'Yeah - we need to rent about...oh...fifty of your campsites for three days. Do you have any specials?' After those words come out, I'm sure the deals would come rolling in. The best part about doing it that way is:

1. No liability for Palladium
2. They could still have a presence if they wanted one (c'mon - you don't think I'd run a small shop for 'em?) and it wouldn't cost them a cent.
3. If they needed help with something, there would be a bunch of rabid fans nearby that would be more than happy to show up and help.
4. The food, soda, and resting places would always be close by.
5. It'd be really inexpensive.

/Sub

Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

hippie_mama wrote:In response to a PM i sent Kevin a few weeks ago (unrelated topic), he said "Hope to see you again in '09." :( That just doesn't sound very encouraging to me.

Just gives me more time to work on my adventures and Apok costume...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Subjugator

If you were in Apoc's room and playing one night, I might've been there conked out and tired (I wear out fast - hey...I'm old!).

/Sub

Subjugator

bob the desolate one wrote:
Subjugator wrote:If you were in Apoc's room and playing one night, I might've been there conked out and tired (I wear out fast - hey...I'm old!).

/Sub

well i'm not sure whos room i was in there was another room but i did meet you at the oh i complimented you on the rifts decal on the back window of your suv and i asked where i could get one you informed me you had made it your self at some personal cost

Well, the Durango and sticker are gone. I'm going to have another made for my Honda, but haven't done so yet.

:) I was kind of in a whirl at the Open House, giddily meeting everyone and feeling nice that so many there knew me and liked me. I'm sorry I don't remember names as well as I should. :( My short term memory stinks.

/Sub

ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Don't worry Dennis, I'll remember for you. :D

Bob, we were in one of the Palladium Suites for Braden's Late night game.

As for a Place, have you thought about a simple Banquet Hall or something to that effect Dennis? You give me a city you want to think about holding it in, and I can do some searching. Hell, I can think of a few hotels that might have a large enough 'ballroom' or whatever that might work. Think about YoumaCon's set up. 2 of their big rooms would be fine.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Might want to get yourself a copy of Rifter #40 when it comes out in October ;)

As for Open House 2009... I will be running a Phase World "all space pirate" game, and a Wormwood game where everyone gets to be an Apok.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

I have no problem with a 2008 OH being held anywhere. No matter where it ends up I'll be there.
For Palladium Books I would walk barefoot into Hell. 8-)
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Yeah, good idea, but how many gamers own RVs?

I've not reached that life stage yet, and I'm one of the older ones here. (37)
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Subjugator

Xar wrote:Yeah, good idea, but how many gamers own RVs?

I've not reached that life stage yet, and I'm one of the older ones here. (37)

You can rent 'em for about 40 bucks a day.

/Sub

ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

sawg138 wrote:El Magico's Nightbane game.

Good Times. :D
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.

Return to “Palladium Open House”