Old Main book vs Ulitmate

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mithrindir
D-Bee

Old Main book vs Ulitmate

Unread post by Mithrindir »

Is there anywhere I can find the changes and/or additions to the main book that is in the Ultimate edition? Or should I just basically have the two book open and go page by page and see what is different. See We are 2 sessions in to a campaign from old mainbook but may like to switch to Ultimate. We would like to quickly see what is different in our characters, stats, game play what ever.. the rest of it we will just get as we play.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Many of the OCC's are tweaked.

Ranged combat is different (still recognizable though)

Several skills are added, some skills expanded.

Low attribute scores have penalties.

If you have time, I'd just go ahead and fully update the character's.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The biggest thing in my opinion is the changes to the secondary skills selections. Instead of having the same selections as OCC related everybody gets to select from a pool of secondayr skills listed on page 300 of RUE. all your characters will need to be edited somewhat.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

I tend to think of the Ultimate edition as a players handbook. It has enough fluff text init for the new guy to understand, and has very little that the GM can use besides the campaign setting info.

As for the Old Edition, i tend to think of it as a GMs book, it assumes that you know the rules, and gives you a section that you cna ise to makes a game.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Sorry Mithrindir. There were a lot of changes and updates. I think all of the O.C.C.'s were changed in someway. There is no official listing of the changes that I'm aware of.

Welcome to the boards. :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Old Main book vs Ulitmate

Unread post by Mack »

Mithrindir wrote:Is there anywhere I can find the changes and/or additions to the main book that is in the Ultimate edition? Or should I just basically have the two book open and go page by page and see what is different. See We are 2 sessions in to a campaign from old mainbook but may like to switch to Ultimate. We would like to quickly see what is different in our characters, stats, game play what ever.. the rest of it we will just get as we play.

I suggest either completely updating all the characters per R:UE (practically a re-roll) or simply ignoring R:UE and sticking with the orginal book.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Chuck McDaniel
Explorer

Re: Old Main book vs Ulitmate

Unread post by Chuck McDaniel »

Mack wrote:
Mithrindir wrote:Is there anywhere I can find the changes and/or additions to the main book that is in the Ultimate edition? Or should I just basically have the two book open and go page by page and see what is different. See We are 2 sessions in to a campaign from old mainbook but may like to switch to Ultimate. We would like to quickly see what is different in our characters, stats, game play what ever.. the rest of it we will just get as we play.

I suggest either completely updating all the characters per R:UE (practically a re-roll) or simply ignoring R:UE and sticking with the orginal book.

Umm....I say get R:UE, then kill off the characters and have the players make new ones. Telling them to just reroll them would probably tick them off pretty good.

J/K :lol: . I think it's a great buy and clears some stuff up in the original rules.

Chuck
It's God's job to judge the D-bees, It's our job to arrange the meeting! -Smiling Jack SAMAS bumper sticker.
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

Lemme put it this way,

I played the old edition for over a decade. I then entered a new game which used RUE.

I barely noticed any difference. Well, except for that totally unplayable rule about mages and armor (Sheesh!).

Return to “Rifts®”