NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Parrynormal(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The motions involved in parrying cause the her to generate a magical force field automatically without using PPE, as it is a magical ability and not a spell. This allows him to parry energy attacks, psionic bolts and projectile weapons where he would normally not be able to do so.
Parries magical bolts as an Autoparry at +2. The power gives a parry bonus of +4 against kicks, punches and handheld melee weapons.
It adds +4 to saves vs. magical attack and +1d6 to available PPE. The power can, however, be negated by any spell capable of dispelling magic.
The field applies primarily when parrying, but the field will prevent intangible beings from passing through the hero and light up with a feint glow(color determined when the hero is created) when magic is present, such as wizards and mages or supernatural creatures, within a range of 100 feet per level.
The force field has an effective SDC of an amount equal to the hero's PE. Each parry will reduce the field SDC by one point(with the field regenerating SDC at a rate of one point per minute) on a successful parry. The field is ineffective once all the SDC has been depleted until it regenerates.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Ring Replication(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The hero has an unusual effect on metal, causing it to expand and split.

1.Ring Production: The hero causes small items, such as rings, necklaces and earrings, to bulge and divide, creating duplicates of themselves. This can apply to coins if held in hand for 2d4 melees.
Number: Items worn on the skin produce 1d6 copies per hour, +1 copy at levels 3,6,9,12 and 15(roll each time the process occurs for resultant number of rings). There is a 01-80% chance of the item reproducing exactly.
Range: Touch. The item must be held or worn against the skin.
Duration: Process takes 2d4 melee rounds per item produced.
Uses: Rings and ither items may be given to allies for identification purposes, sold or given as presents.

2.Drawbacks: The hero is unable to wear electronic devices against the skin, as this power fries them. This extends to watches of any kind. He cannot benefit from having metal implanted in his body, as it will be immediately rejected, and bullets shot into him will do 1d6 damage for 2d4 melee rounds as they work their way out. Any metal armor worn by the hero takes 1d4 points of damage every melee round until it is removed just by being in contact with the character, +1 point per level.

3.Defensive Applications: Metal weapons striking the hero are -2 to strike and take a point of damage to their SDC when making contact with his skin.

4.Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+1d4 PE
+4 to save vs. lead poisoning and tetanus related injury/infection
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:it's a Major but its cool, a little strong but thats power creep for yea

Yeah, and he wants to call it a minor. :eek:

Okay, okay! It's a major! I admit it! :-D

I bow to the wisdom of the forum: it's been edited accordingly.

Makes me glad I didn't post that APS: Allah power I was working on...
:D
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

Senator Cybus post anything you want but be prepared for criticism, we all love new powers and with a little tweaking anything is playable, dont let a few bad reviews of a power stop you, your idea was solid just a little strong.
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:Senator Cybus post anything you want but be prepared for criticism, we all love new powers and with a little tweaking anything is playable, dont let a few bad reviews of a power stop you, your idea was solid just a little strong.

Oh hey, I'm not offended or anything; I post stuff in the hope that people will pick it apart and spot any bugs that I might have missed. Besides, both Stone Gargoyle and yourself gave it decent reviews, we were just debating classification, and in retrospect you guys were absolutely right.

I'm just pleased that I was apparently able to come up with a power that hasn't been done yet! Is anyone planning to break down this mammoth list into categories at some point? I'm concerned that good powers might get lost just because people can't find them. :(

EDIT: You get that I was joking about APS: Allah, right? I mean, power creep's one thing, but that's really pushing it! :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

That would be alter metaphysical structure:deity, Senator Cybus, sir, and fortunately no one has tried that one. If you want to bring the power you wrote in line with the stuff that is common, drop the skill bonuses by 10-20% and give the acrobatic maneuvers a percentage range limit, like perhaps just giving him the skill automatically but only usable in that scenario. When in doubt, you can always model a subability after a minor power in the book and call it good.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Stone Gargoyle wrote: If you want to bring the power you wrote in line with the stuff that is common, drop the skill bonuses by 10-20%

Done: I've dropped it to 20%. As a base skill, 30% isn't over the top, but as a bonus it is too much. Good call.

Stone Gargoyle wrote: and give the acrobatic maneuvers a percentage range limit, like perhaps just giving him the skill automatically but only usable in that scenario.

Oh, I didn't mean that the character suddenly develops the skill when he's in a crowd; just that he can move freely and jump about and fight as he would normally without hindrance, even though the space shouldn't really allow it. Apologies if that wasn't clear; I've done a quick re-write of the sub-ability to remove the ambiguity.

Anyway, I'm going to stop picking at it now: it feels like I've taken two pages just to detail one power. :oops:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Then I would say that the hero would have to roll a dodge to avoid hitting people if struck so as to avoid running into people. I could see it for movement purposes, but in fighting, a lot depends on the other guy. You could give him a plus 6 to do so, but there should always be room for failure. Your crowd navigation skill would be good set at something like 80%,+1% per level, as well, which is probably how I will adjust it for my files.
The reason bonuses should not be too hefty is that other powers will stack bonuses and the bonus will get ridiculous quickly. SDC bonuses are less impacting than skill bonuses in that respect.
I am really not trying to rip on the power, just make it more playable in game terms. A power that always works perfectly is less fun to play than one with a risk of failure.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Ok Stone. I have a request for ya.

I've been flipping though HU2, PU1,2,3 and while I've seen some powers close. I haven't actually seen what I'm looking for.

I want an APS Atomic. In the vien of APS Light and APS Energy, but well.. Atomic/Nuclear.

I'm NOT looking for "control radiation" Because while it's kinda neat, it focuses on the radiation sickness and heat a little much.

I want the flying, the atomic blasts, stuff like that, but am curious as to how YOU'd put it together.

Wanna take a swing?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Ok Stone. I have a request for ya.

I've been flipping though HU2, PU1,2,3 and while I've seen some powers close. I haven't actually seen what I'm looking for.

I want an APS Atomic. In the vien of APS Light and APS Energy, but well.. Atomic/Nuclear.

I'm NOT looking for "control radiation" Because while it's kinda neat, it focuses on the radiation sickness and heat a little much.

I want the flying, the atomic blasts, stuff like that, but am curious as to how YOU'd put it together.

Wanna take a swing?

I can see what I can do, but atomic radiation has sickness related to it. Are you looking strictly for the enrgy benefits, because APS Plasma kinda covers that pretty well, or are you liking the idea of, say, APS Plutonium? I could always try and mix a metal and fire based APS together and see how it would swing. More clarification is needed before I want to start, though.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

After conferring through privatte mesages, Pepsi Jedi and I came up with a solution to the power she wanted. I will be posting it later on, but it is tentatively titled Photonic Light Absorption and Control(Major). Some of my other suggestions had merit and I will be fleshing them out as well.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I finally located the evil variant to Blessed, so here y'all go:

Sin(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The villain gains bonuses to acts committed with evil intent.
1.Skill Bonuses: The character performs all skills used for vile and dastardly purposes with a bonus of +20%, suffering a -20% penalty to any acts which help or protect others. Gains a +2 to combat moves versus an unarmed foe. +2 to pull punch in order to torture others, +30% to interrogation/torture
2.Demonic Protection:
+20% to save vs. coma/death
+2 to roll with punch, fall or impact
Penalties/limitations: Protection will stop if the character acts out of alignment, returning 2d4 weeks later, if no acts of good are performed.
3.Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+2 ME and MA
+2 PB
+1d4 PE
4.Prerequisites: Must be of evil alignment, preferably miscreant or diabolic.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Now, the physics involved in this are kind of iffy, but the power should have the same effects regardless of whether photons could actually behave in the manner stated here.

Photonic Light Absorption and Control(Major) by Stone Jedi and Pepsi Gargoyle
The idea for this power was provided by Pepsi Jedi and this is what I came up with to make it work:

The hero's skin is capable of absorbing light from photonic particles surrounding him. For some unexplained particles reverse polarity, absorbing light to the point that they appear black, surrounding the hero in energy darker than shadow.

1. Dark Energy: The character appears to become surrounded in an inky energy. In reality, his skin destroys light on contact, causing the particles of light around him to appear black. The darkness seems to hang in the air around him as light is absorbed from the nearby particles. In areas of shadow and darkness, the hero appears to disappear, gaining a +20% to prowl.

2.Protection: The light being absorbed renders the hero immune to the damage of light and lasers, and reduces radiation effects on himself to half normal. The photon energy also provides a shield against physical attacks, allowing him to only take half damage from those as well.

3.Dark Photon Blast: The hero can generate a physically concussive blast due to his control of photons, but it does no light damage due to the fact that the particles absorb light rather than project it.
Range: 1000 feet, +100 feet pe level
Damage: 1d4X10 points of damage, +2 per level of experience
Duration: Instant
Attacks per melee: Each beam counts as one melee attack. It normally takes both hands joined together to shoot for full damage. The hero can split the beam, but the damage for each hand is 1d4 X5. to shoot simultaneously at two different targets (-2 penalty to strike secondary target).

4.Strength Enhancement: Absorbing the light energy boosts the hero's strength by one category, so normal strength becomes Extraordinary, etc. Adjust damage and lifting and carrying capacities accordingly.

5.Flight: The hero is able to cause the photon particles surrounding him to create micro-blasts/bursts of energy which propel him through the air at a speed of 100 mph, +10% per level. due to the means of propulsion, the hero gets less bonuses in flight than other flight powers.
Bonuses: +1 to strike when airborne
+2 to dodge when flying over 80mph
+4 damage for every 20mph of flight speed.

6.Damage Bonus: Photonic energy surrounding the hero grants +1d6 to most Hand to Hand melee damage.

7.Other Notes: The photon particles emit no light or heat, absorbing rather than emitting energy, so the hero need not worry about burning or injuring comrades.

8.Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+1d4 PE
+1d6 SDC
+1d4 Hit Points
Heals at twice the normal rate.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I finally located the evil variant to Blessed, so here y'all go:

1.Skill Bonuses: The character performs all skills used for vile and dastardly purposes with a bonus of +20%, suffering a -20% penalty to any acts which help or protect others. Gains a +2 to combat moves versus an unarmed foe. +2 to pull punch in order to torture others, +30% to interrogation/torture
2.Demonic Protection:
Penalties/limitations: Protection will stop if the character acts out of alignment, returning 2d4 weeks later, if no acts of good are performed.
+2 ME and MA
+2 PB
+1d4 PE

well unarmed foes are the best kind :D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I finally located the evil variant to Blessed, so here y'all go:

2.Demonic Protection:
+2 ME and MA
+2 PB
+1d4 PE

well unarmed foes are the best kind :D

I always thought so. :-D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

LostOne wrote:This thread has gotten insanely long. I'd like to suggest some enterprising person with a post on the front page index all the powers, edit their post on the front page, and list what pages the new powers are on so it is easier to find new powers that fit what we are looking for. :)

Well, given the fact that people can set how many posts are per page, page numbers really don't work too well. Plus there are hundreds if not thousands of powers in this thread. The best I could hope to do is make a listing of the powers I have written, but you would still need to dig them up out of here yourself. Best bet is to go from page one and copy the posts you like one by one, but 9it will take a while so I hope you are a patient man.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Control Elemental Forces: Atomic.

The power to manipulate and control aspects of atomic energy. This is different from Control Radiation, as it focuses on the Atomic energy itself. Not the byproduct (Radiation)

1: Atomic blast: The character can create a blast of directed atomic energy out of thin air and hurl it at a target. The blast can come from the hands, a finger, eyes and or mouth.
Range: 600 ft max
Damage: 3d6+1d6 per level of experience
Duration Instant
Attacks Per melee: Each Fire blast counts as one melee attack.
Bonus+2 to strike

2: Atomic Agitation: By concentrating on the atoms in an object the character can hyper agitate them and cause them to burst into flame.
Range 30 ft
Duration: instant
Attacks per melee: Each use of this power uses one attack per melee

3: Fuel Nuclear Reaction: The ability to increase and strengthen a nuclear reaction on the atomic level. A very strong power but one that needs a nuclear reaction to have been started in the first place.
Range: and area up to 120 foot can be affected by the power and can be used on nuclear reactions up to 300 feet away.

Duration: 4 minutes where the reaction multiples by the factor of 4 times it’s size per round.
Attacks per melee: Each use of this power counts as one melee attack:

4: Atomic flight: By creating atomic blasts and forcing them behind the character he can achieve flight. This flight is quite dramatic and isn’t the sort of thing that goes unnoticed in anything shy of a war zone.
Bonuses in flight: The hero can hover several inches above the ground during combat in order to use his full bonuses
Speed 160 MPH+20mph per level of experience
+1 attack per melee
+1 strike and parry
+2 dodge when hovering or flying at speeds under 80 mph, +4 dodge when over 80mph
+4 damage for every 20 MPH of flight speed

5: Deaden Atomic reaction: the control of the powers of atomic energy allow him to extinguish the atomic reaction in an inverse effect of the power that lets him fuel one. It can be used once every other melee, and can effect the power cores of many advanced power armors (( Cyborgs that use atomic power sources should get a save, but vehicles and armor do not))
Range: An area up to 120 feet, in radius can be affected and the power can be used on atomic reactions up to 300 feet away
Duration: Permanent (( Until a new reaction can be induced))
Attacks per melee: Each use of this power counts as two melee attacks.

6: Use self as a radioactive dampener: The character’s body becomes a sponge that absorbs all of the nuclear radiation in the immediate area, making it safe for others. The radiation dampening aura radiates around the character and moves with him. Comes in handy when dealing with radiation leaks that endanger others.
Range: 100ft+10 feet per level of experience
Duration.: as long as he concentrates but no other attacks are possible when dampening radiation.
Attacks per melee: Uses all attacks per melee
Special: The radiation absorbed needs to be released, be it via an atomic energy blast, though flight or fueling an atomic reaction. Until it is, the character stores it and is unstable. After an hour there is the possibility of releasing it non voluntarily and harming things in a 100 foot radius as the blast rips free. Many atomic heroes will channel the radiation into a blast and shoot it straight up, Or fly high into the air and release it towards space to prevent this sort of thing happening.

7 Other abilities and bonuses.
Invulnerable to fire, heat, radiation and atomic blasts. Could technically survive at ground zero of a nuclear missile. The blast wouldn’t kill him. Nor the radiation but the shockwave of compressed air and dibree would shred him like swiss cheese. So… don’t do it.
Can accurately sense any atomic energy with in 5 miles and hone in on it like a homing beacon.
+50 SDC
+ 1 “level” Of strength due to atomic energy fueling the hero.
Normal strength becomes extraordinary,
extraordinary becomes superhuman,
superhuman becomes supernatural.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I definitely would not want to meet that guy or be nea him when he uses that power. Shesh, what a biohazard. :lol: I guess you decided to write that one up knowing you wouldn't ever want to use it, eh? If the hero does not want to leave a huge radioactive trail and waste behind his blasts and flight, he would have to go back and do cleanup, huh? Tikes! :shock:
i like the power, so please do not get flustered when I give you these little comments that could make the power more awesome.
First, I think that you did not focus enough on the amounts of damage this would cause. Only 3d6 damge for the blast created by the character? That seems a bit low for an atomic blast. I realize the Nuclear fire in Control Radiation is only that much, but then you have to add in the concussive force of a nuclear blast. I would alter it to be in line with APS Plasma, being damage of 1d6X10, +1d6 per level. The blast would disintegrate whatever it came into contact with, like Hiroshima, and burn the images of their shadows permanently into the ground. Do you have a damage amount being caught in the hero's energy wake would cause when flying, or would it be the same? Maybe use the 3d6 damage amount for that. How much more percentage damage would the fuel nuclear blast cause? I would go 10% per round the character fed more energy into the nuclear cloud. you should also reference Control radiation for the effects of the radiation the hero has not dampened or absorbed. The nuclear agitation power should do 5d6 to the object in the first round and 2d6 damage every subsequent round until the fire is extinguished, I think.
Secondly, it would be more interesting to make the hero unable to clean up the radiation. Since it is not the focus of the power, why make it the hero's function to clean it up? This makes for a good villain power or sets up an internal conflict within the character, who can only use his abilities with a price. :nuke:
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote: I definitely would not want to meet that guy or be nea him when he uses that power. Shesh, what a biohazard. :lol: I guess you decided to write that one up knowing you wouldn't ever want to use it, eh?

Naaa I rather like it. *G*

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
If the hero does not want to leave a huge radioactive trail and waste behind his blasts and flight, he would have to go back and do cleanup, huh? Tikes! :shock:

Not so much but I'll explain more directly after one of your next questions

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
i like the power, so please do not get flustered when I give you these little comments that could make the power more awesome.

Not at all. I like critique. This will also let me explain the power a bit more as a concept. vs just what you get out of the book.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:First, I think that you did not focus enough on the amounts of damage this would cause. Only 3d6 damge for the blast created by the character? That seems a bit low for an atomic blast. I realize the Nuclear fire in Control Radiation is only that much, but then you have to add in the concussive force of a nuclear blast. I would alter it to be in line with APS Plasma, being damage of 1d6X10, +1d6 per level. The blast would disintegrate whatever it came into contact with, like Hiroshima, and burn the images of their shadows permanently into the ground.

Ok. My thought process here. I looked at alot of energy expulsion powers and what not. EE Plasma for example has something like 6D6 and a horribly short range, but it doesn't grow. Some others start off really strong, like 1D6X10 +2 per level... but that gives them a rather artificial limit. Sure they start off strong but they plateau the +2 per level doesn't give as much as stat bonouses are.

So I started mine there and gave +1D6 per level. At 3rd level where most people sorta consider you past "Noob" but not really FULL POWERED this guy will be doing 6D6 per blast. At 7th level where the books pretty much consider you established he'd be doing 10d6....

Sure the atomic energy blast is strong but we're talking about a very very very minute blast that's being focused by the super hero. He's not letting off a Hiroshima every time he blasts a bad guy. He's letting out a microscopic fraction of that sort of power.

Stone Gargoyle wrote: Do you have a damage amount being caught in the hero's energy wake would cause when flying, or would it be the same? Maybe use the 3d6 damage amount for that.

Hadn't really honestly thought about somone trying to fly into the wake of an atomic powered flight. I guess they could but it'd be pretty silly to do so.

Basicly the "Flight" power is just the minor "Flight: energy" Reprinted. It gives you like a 12 foot wake. but... mainly? It's for show. it's to show that it's not just flight wingless and you get a bit less stats for it. A different 'flavor' if you will of the same sort of thing. Just like there's extrodinar str and superhuman str and they're both minors. Flight wingless and flight energy are different flavors. One's a bit better than the other, but man....the flight: energy has style.

Above you also raised a point I'd like to address. The leaving behind of radiation and what not. In this sense, you are controling the elemental force of Atomic energy. The "reaction" if you will is going on in the super hero the same place all "energy" stuff does in the super heros. Not outside. The "Outside" stuff, the blasts or the flight, are the result of such. When he punches forward with his fist and shoots a blast of energy at a bad guy that blast flys hits does it's damage and is gone. ZZAP!! or QUARK! or FOOOM! whichever. When he flys it's the same sort of thing but in reverse. He's going away from it. It's not leaving tons of radiation because what radiation would be caused is channeled by the hero to fuel the power. No more so than energy expulsion: energy leaves energy just lying around the place after a blast, or energy expulsion fire leaves fire all over the place (( unless you set something on fire but that's different)) But the point is, a guy with energy expulsion fire isn't burning his hands off when he makes the fire. It just "is" nothings "BURNING" to let the EE Fire blast go. It just does. In this case it's the same thing. There's no radioactive element that's causing the atomic blasts. They just "are" in the same way that any energy expulsion power just 'is'

There might be slight residual rad count at the TARGETS of the blasts. Say, if I shot a bad guy 10 times with my atomic blasts sure he's going to have a few rads, but figure it as 99% of the energy OF the blast was used IN the blast. It's a directed energy thing. But it falls into that "How does it work? It works because it's a super hero game" sort of thing.

I purposefully made this one DIFFERENT from control radiation because I didn't like the Radiation backlash of that power. It's cool and all but radiation is a biproduct. not a product. The control radiation power always seemed bass ackwards to me.

If you need a better "explination" though, this might suffice. "There is no huge ammounts of radioactive residue because the Control Elemental force Atomic character by nature absorbs any harm full radiation that might be emmited by his powers, as fuel for the powers thus negating a negitive radioactive effect on the enviroment and those around him.

It works but yeah it's "Comic powers"

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
How much more percentage damage would the fuel nuclear blast cause? I would go 10% per round the character fed more energy into the nuclear cloud. you should also reference Control radiation for the effects of the radiation the hero has not dampened or absorbed.

Yeah that one's kinda an ST call. For me it fell under "How often are you going to be around a real nuclear blast, and not get killed?"

You could use it to super charge and rupture nuclear power sources in power armor or the sort but those sorts of things would be ST calls. *nods* and he could very well zap you with the damage too. It's up to him.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The nuclear agitation power should do 5d6 to the object in the first round and 2d6 damage every subsequent round until the fire is extinguished, I think.

Sounds ok to me.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Secondly, it would be more interesting to make the hero unable to clean up the radiation. Since it is not the focus of the power, why make it the hero's function to clean it up? This makes for a good villain power or sets up an internal conflict within the character, who can only use his abilities with a price. :nuke:

Again, I was going for a power that was the inverse of the "Control Radiation" power. More atomic blast than "lets radiate everything and kill our own team"

If you WANTED that stuff, just take the Control Radiation power, wich is fine, in and of itself, but is one of those different flavors I spoke of. It wasn't the scoop o icecream I wanted in THIS one.

For truly dastardly villains.. you give them Control Elemental force Atomic AND Control Radiation and you have a bad guy that's well and turely scary, And.... has those side effects you want.

As a secondary thing. I'm a firm beliver in quirks for powers. If you want your hero to have that, by all means. toss it on there. It'll be a quirk to your char. It's just not the "Dealer show room package" for this power.

To be 100% honest. I do see this as the "Good guy" version of the Control Radiation which I saw to be a "Bad guy" power.

This is the..... *motions with hands* "Good and pure embodyment of the atomic power dreams" as opposed to the "Horrific and sadistcly scary" side which control Radiation is.

What would be really good is to have a hero with THIS power aginst a villain with the OTHER power. Sure they'd default on alot of stuff but could you imagine the fights and how that FUNDIMENTAL difference would show in comic stories?

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Yeah, I know what you were going for as per our discussions, but you did not clarify enough in writing the power to make it clear. Now you have the bare bones and the clarification in two segments. How's about editing it into a cohesive whole worthy of printing so I can copy it without having to fill in the missing parts?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

lol I'll get right on that.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

(( Complied with notes and a bit more explanations as to the 'whys' and a smidgen about the 'hows' of this power))

Control Elemental Forces: Atomic.

The power to manipulate and control aspects of atomic energy. This is different from Control Radiation, as it focuses on the Atomic energy itself. Not the byproduct (Radiation)

1: Atomic blast: The character can create a blast of directed atomic energy out of thin air and hurl it at a target. The blast can come from the hands, a finger, eyes and or mouth.
Range: 600 ft max
Damage: 3d6+1d6 per level of experience
Duration Instant
Attacks Per melee: Each Fire blast counts as one melee attack.
Bonus+2 to strike
(( Rational: Ok. My thought process here. I looked at alot of energy expulsion powers and what not. EE Plasma for example has something like 6D6 and a horribly short range, but it doesn't grow. Some others start off really strong, like 1D6X10 +2 per level... but that gives them a rather artificial limit. Sure they start off strong but they plateau the +2 per level doesn't give as much as stat bonuses are.

So I started mine there and gave +1D6 per level. At 3rd level where most people sorta consider you past "Noob" but not really FULL POWERED this guy will be doing 6D6 per blast. At 7th level where the books pretty much consider you established he'd be doing 10d6....

Sure the atomic energy blast is strong but we're talking about a very very very minute blast that's being focused by the super hero. He's not letting off a Hiroshima every time he blasts a bad guy. He's letting out a microscopic fraction of that sort of power.))

2: Atomic Agitation: By concentrating on the atoms in an object the character can hyper agitate them and cause them to burst into flame.
Range 30 ft
Damage: 5d6 to the object in the first round and 2d6 damage every subsequent round until the fire is extinguished
Duration: instant
Attacks per melee: Each use of this power uses one attack per melee

3: Fuel Nuclear Reaction: The ability to increase and strengthen a nuclear reaction on the atomic level. A very strong power but one that needs a nuclear reaction to have been started in the first place.
Range: and area up to 120 foot can be affected by the power and can be used on nuclear reactions up to 300 feet away.
Duration: 4 minutes where the reaction multiples by the factor of 4 times it’s size per round.
(( Note: This is largely an ST decided power. It doesn’t have “dice damage” or anything. The ST will have to pick and choose what happens if you ever do this to a nuclear reaction. Be careful. The ST might fry you into crispy bits))

4: Atomic flight: By creating atomic blasts and forcing them behind the character he can achieve flight. This flight is quite dramatic and isn’t the sort of thing that goes unnoticed in anything shy of a war zone.
Bonuses in flight: The hero can hover several inches above the ground during combat in order to use his full bonuses
Speed 160 MPH+20mph per level of experience
+1 attack per melee
+1 strike and parry
+2 dodge when hovering or flying at speeds under 80 mph, +4 dodge when over 80mph
+4 damage for every 20 MPH of flight speed
((Basically the "Flight" power is just the minor "Flight: energy" Reprinted. It gives you like a 12 foot wake. but... mainly? It's for show. it's to show that it's not just flight wingless and you get a bit less stats for it. A different 'flavor' if you will of the same sort of thing. Just like there's extraordinary str and superhuman str and they're both minors. Flight wingless and flight energy are different flavors. One's a bit better than the other, but man....the flight: energy has style.))

5: Deaden Atomic reaction: the control of the powers of atomic energy allow him to extinguish the atomic reaction in an inverse effect of the power that lets him fuel one. It can be used once every other melee, and can effect the power cores of many advanced power armors (( Cyborgs that use atomic power sources should get a save, but vehicles and armor do not))
Range: An area up to 120 feet, in radius can be affected and the power can be used on atomic reactions up to 300 feet away
Duration: Permanent (( Until a new reaction can be induced))
Attacks per melee: Each use of this power counts as two melee attacks.

6: Use self as a radioactive dampener: The character’s body becomes a sponge that absorbs all of the nuclear radiation in the immediate area, making it safe for others. The radiation dampening aura radiates around the character and moves with him. Comes in handy when dealing with radiation leaks that endanger others.
Range: 100ft+10 feet per level of experience
Duration.: as long as he concentrates but no other attacks are possible when dampening radiation.
Attacks per melee: Uses all attacks per melee
Special: The radiation absorbed needs to be released, be it via an atomic energy blast, though flight or fueling an atomic reaction. Until it is, the character stores it and is unstable. After an hour there is the possibility of releasing it non voluntarily and harming things in a 100 foot radius as the blast rips free. Many atomic heroes will channel the radiation into a blast and shoot it straight up, Or fly high into the air and release it towards space to prevent this sort of thing happening.

7 Other abilities and bonuses.
Invulnerable to fire, heat, radiation and atomic blasts. Could technically survive at ground zero of a nuclear missile. The blast wouldn’t kill him. Nor the radiation but the shockwave of compressed air and dibree would shred him like swiss cheese. So… don’t do it.
Can accurately sense any atomic energy with in 5 miles and hone in on it like a homing beacon.
+50 SDC
+ 1 “level” Of strength due to atomic energy fueling the hero.
Normal strength becomes extraordinary,
extraordinary becomes superhuman,
superhuman becomes supernatural.

NOTES ON DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CONTROL ELEMENTAL FORCE: ATOMIC AND CONTROL RADIATION

A point I'd like to address. The leaving behind of radiation and what not. In this sense, you are controlling the elemental force of Atomic energy. The "reaction" if you will is going on in the super hero the same place all "energy" stuff does in the super heros. Not outside. The "Outside" stuff, the blasts or the flight, are the result of such. When he punches forward with his fist and shoots a blast of energy at a bad guy that blast flys hits does it's damage and is gone. ZZAP!! or QUARK! or FOOOM! whichever. When he flys it's the same sort of thing but in reverse. He's going away from it. It's not leaving tons of radiation because what radiation would be caused is channeled by the hero to fuel the power. No more so than energy expulsion: energy leaves energy just lying around the place after a blast, or energy expulsion fire leaves fire all over the place (( unless you set something on fire but that's different)) But the point is, a guy with energy expulsion fire isn't burning his hands off when he makes the fire. It just "is" nothings "BURNING" to let the EE Fire blast go. It just does. In this case it's the same thing. There's no radioactive element that's causing the atomic blasts. They just "are" in the same way that any energy expulsion power just 'is'

There might be slight residual rad count at the TARGETS of the blasts. Say, if I shot a bad guy 10 times with my atomic blasts sure he's going to have a few rads, but figure it as 99% of the energy OF the blast was used IN the blast. It's a directed energy thing. But it falls into that "How does it work? It works because it's a super hero game" sort of thing.

I purposefully made this one DIFFERENT from control radiation because I didn't like the Radiation backlash of that power. It's cool and all but radiation is a byproduct. not a product. The control radiation power always seemed bass ackwards to me.

If you need a better "explanation" though, this might suffice. "There is no huge amounts of radioactive residue because the Control Elemental force Atomic character by nature absorbs any harm full radiation that might be emitted by his powers, as fuel for the powers thus negating a negative radioactive effect on the environment and those around him.

It works but yeah it's "Comic powers"

I was going for a power that was the inverse of the "Control Radiation" power. More atomic blast than "lets radiate everything and kill our own team"

If you WANTED that stuff, just take the Control Radiation power, which is fine, in and of itself, but is one of those different flavors I spoke of. It wasn't the scoop o icecream I wanted in THIS one.

For truly dastardly villains.. you give them Control Elemental force Atomic AND Control Radiation and you have a bad guy that's well and truly scary, And.... has those side effects you want.

As a secondary thing. I'm a firm believer in quirks for powers. If you want your hero to have that, by all means. toss it on there. It'll be a quirk to your char. It's just not the "Dealer show room package" for this power.

To be 100% honest. I do see this as the "Good guy" version of the Control Radiation which I saw to be a "Bad guy" power.

This is the..... *motions with hands* "Good and pure embodiment of the atomic power dreams" as opposed to the "Horrific and sadistically scary" side which control Radiation is.

What would be really good is to have a hero with THIS power against a villain with the OTHER power. Sure they'd default on alot of stuff but could you imagine the fights and how that FUNDIMENTAL difference would show in comic stories?

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

This part needs actual effects of the use of this power statted out.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Just to get the air cleared, I am going to say this much: I can buy into that it is a filtered and controlled atomic power, I guess, because even though atomic power would not work that way, it does get presented that way in comics. I agree with the need for statting things out, so I will try and figure out some damages for a nuclear blast and help Pepsi Jedi, but this is exactly the reason I had a hard time writing up a power like that for her. Photonic Light Absorption and Control was created to avoid all the nuclear holocaust effects and questions. I have never been a fan of saying "It works because it does." Games need logic and statistics.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

While I like a bit of realism in my games. With out converting anything, we can probably list off 10 "atomic" powered heroes and no one ever gets radiation sickness around them.

It's just in the creative lisence of the character. In this case, your control over the elemental force of atomic power lets you "suck up" any radiation that would be produced by YOUR powers. Effectively keeping it inside and negating it as an autonomic function. And as a super hero that HAS this power, you're not negitivly affected by it. Just like we have orgins to take out impurities in our blood. The super hero that has this power has "Something" inside that nullifies the radiation HIS powers might cause. But he's not negitivly effected by it.

No more than an APS guy gets cold. or has his blood freeze when he goes APS or catch frost bite an APS plasma guy doesn't ignight the very air around him, or even trying to touch the phyics of APS void.... or any number of powers. I mean, try and explain the physics of Flight wingless... lol You have to suspend disbelief a bit to play the game.

At least to me, it works. It might not be for everyone (( i for one can't STAND the magic in the HU system or psionics and how they're done I've never played a mage nor psychic character because of it)) To each his own. :) I DO understand not everyone wants to suspend disbelief to this power, that's cool and all. I happen to like it and can see it in my head with out really worrying too much about the phyics. This power doesn't give off the radiation poisioning. Control Radiation does. Simple as that :D

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Pepsi Jedi wrote: Just like we have orgins to take out impurities in our blood. The super hero that has this power has "Something" inside that nullifies the radiation HIS powers might cause.

could you imagine the septic tank you would have build for this guy. :P
"no, seriously. don't go in there."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Reminds me of the ultimates when the Hulk ate that alien guy and as a result they were literally collecting his feces in bio hazard force field jar things and using nuclear power to atomize it to insure the guy couldn't reconstitute... after being eaten by the hulk and shat out. lol

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Okay, basic lesson in atomic physics: atomic energy comes from spliitting atoms. The force that is released is what is known as an atomic explosion. That is what would be happening to the dude's insides if he did not have energy resistant organs. Then he has to radiate the energy outwards to shoot beams and whatnot, which is what would cause the radiation. no radiation, no energy emision. You are referring to radiation as the byproduct produced by the beam, but it actually results from it shooting out. so,, theorhetically if he has an energy field filtering the energy and reabsorbing it, and also cutting the power levels down, which would also be a function of his energy resistant organs, the power you propose might work. But that is assuming a lot of information not mentioned.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Meh you're going too scientific. Super powers by their own creation defy phyics. You can't explain any of the APS powers or what happens to the human's organs when his body changes into plasma or solid stone, or metal or air.

It's a super power and while glossing over "too much" can loose some of the fun, going too detailed would prevent any power from working. There's two or three kinds of radiation and they all have different intensities and there's even multiple ways to archive radiation.

But I refer you back to "as part of the CONTROLLING ELEMENTAL FORCE: Atomic power, the character instinctively controls that aspect. Part of the "Absorbs radiation" power, is instinctly 'on' at all times. Just like we don't think to breathe or digest our food. The CEF Atomic guy doesn't have to think about controling the radiation his blasts or flight might cause. It's done "for" him by his nature as a super hero and part of how his "power" works.

Just like a CEF Fire guy's flesh doesn't burn or put off heat when he's controlling the elemental forces at his command, neither does the CEF Atomic guy produce amazing amounts of radiation.

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

just cover it up by some strange quantum feild that absorbs the radiation. like the feild that would allow for a being with multiple selves have all his replicas pop in with same articles of clothing as the original. so instead of a quantum replication feild, a quantum absorbtion feild specific to deadly radiation. just a thought
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

That'd work too. :D :D :D

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Okay, basic lesson in atomic physics: atomic energy comes from spliitting atoms.

That is only one type of atomic physics; what you are referring to is fission energy; fusion energy (available in HU2, not available yet, In the Real World (IRW*) is the fusing together of atoms and nuclei.

*: While it has been done, the energy to generate has been greater than the energy received from it, so it not really a viable energy source

Well, what is your opinion, Mephisto? Would the Control Elemental Forces: Atomic power work as written? I would like some other opinions, though this could probably be its own threrad the way it's going.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It is obviously an area I am not too versed in. Perhaps more study would be of benefit. Anyhow, this thread has been taken up too much by that discussion, so I started another thread addressing these issues.
Back to the powers at hand!
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Ambient Immune System (Major) By Senator Cybus

“Ebola you say? I’ll sort that out for you...”

The super being is utterly unaffected by disease or poisons of any kind, due to a hyper-aggressive immune system that actually attacks contaminants before they can even enter the body. The character is constantly pumping out swarms of ever-evolving phage colonies and free-floating attack-enzymes: harmless (and invisible) to humans, but devastating to any germ or toxin.

1. Immune to Disease and Poison. The super being has the minor powers of Impervious to Disease & Illness and Impervious to Poison & Toxins (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 32), which in this case also provides total immunity to non-lethal poisons.

2. Sterile Field. The character’s external antibodies are constantly attacking any pollutants in the vicinity, rendering the area germ-free. Airborne diseases are destroyed upon contact with the field, protecting everyone within range from infection.
Additionally, any objects contaminated with harmful micro-organisms will be sterilized by one minute of uninterrupted contact with the field. Poisons or toxins will be neutralized by two minutes of uninterrupted contact. Diseases or poisons that are already in someone’s system are not destroyed by the field (but see Immunity Boost below).
Range: 5 feet (1.5 m) radius, plus an additional 1 foot (0.3 m) per level of experience.
Duration: Instantly destroys airborne disease. One or two minutes to destroy disease or poison.
Damage: None. Unless you’re a virus.
Attacks per Melee: None. An automatic ability.

3. Immunity Boost. People already infected or poisoned still benefit from the super being’s presence; damage, duration and effects are reduced by half, as the hero’s microscopic defenders will infiltrate their bodies in the quest to destroy sickness wherever they find it.
Range: 5 feet (1.5 m) radius, plus an additional 1 foot (0.3 m) per level of experience.
Duration: Indefinite. Constantly active.
Damage: None. Unless you’re a virus.
Attacks per Melee: None. An automatic ability.

Bonus: The super being and anybody within his Sterile Field are immune to the effects of the superpower of Pestilence.
Last edited by Senator Cybus on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I like it, Senator. :D
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

Energy Expulsion: Chaos (Major) By Senator Cybus

“I’m telling ya, the cape that nabbed us after the bank job must’ a had about a million powers! He was throwing fireballs and lightning, freezing stuff in ice, making monsters pop in outta nowhere! Funny thing though, - he looked kind’ a nervous…”

The super being can conjure up an iridescent orb of inchoate energy and shoot it a given target, for a wide variety of effects. The problem is, he has no idea what those effects will be until the orb actually hits! This gives the character great versatility, but little in the way of control.

Range: 400 feet (122 m) maximum.
Duration: Instant.
Damage: Special. See the Chaos Effects Table below.
Attacks per Melee: Each blast counts as one melee attack/action.
Bonuses: +2 to strike for an aimed shot. +1 to strike if shooting wild.

Chaos Effects Table

To determine the outcome of a Chaos strike, roll 1D20 and consult the following table.

N.B. All of the possible results replicate strikes from existing super powers or spells: determine damage, saving throws and other effects by the level of the super being, as if he actually possessed the referenced power. The damage cannot be regulated and will always be at the maximum for the character’s level. Unlike some other Energy Expulsion powers, Chaos cannot be divided between two targets.

1. Disintegration. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 20).

2. Germ Cloud. Same as the major power of Pestilence (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 86): roll 1D8 to determine which disease is created.

3. Torrential Rain. Same as the sub-ability of Rainmaker (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 90).

4. Wither Flesh. Same as sub-ability no. 2 of Cellular Rot & Decay (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 8 ).

5. Lightning Bolt. Same as sub-ability no. 3 of Alter Physical Structure: Electricity (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 241).

6. Pixie Dust. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 17).

7. Sonic Boom. Same as the minor power of Energy Expulsion: Sonic Boom (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 12).

8. Shadow Bolt. Same as the minor power of Energy Expulsion: Shadow Bolt (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 12).

9. Healing Power. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 30). And yes, this means that the character may accidentally heal an opponent.

10. Blinding Swarm. Same as sub-ability no. 3 of Control Insects & Arachnids (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 261).

11. Fire Ball. Same as sub-ability no. 2 of Alter Physical Structure: Fire (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 242).

12. E.M.P. Same as the area effect of the minor power of Energy Expulsion: Electromagnetic Pulse (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 22).

13. Summon Shadow Beast. As the spell of the same name (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 335).

14. Encase in Ice: the entire body, excluding the head. Same as sub-ability no. 6 of Alter Physical Structure: Ice (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 244).

15. Battle Rage. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 14). Does not affect inanimate objects: living targets may try to save vs. psionics to resist, if they wish to.

16. Stench Cloud. Same as the minor power of Stench (Powers Unlimited One, Pg. 43).

17. Create Mini-Earthquakes/Chasms. Same as sub-ability no. 7 of Geo-Thermal Energy (Powers Unlimited One, Pg.75).

18. Globe of Silence. As the spell of the same name (Heroes Unlimited, Pg. 329).

19. Sticky Globs. As the minor power of the same name (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 21).

20. Portal Attack. Same as sub-ability no. 2 of Portals (Powers Unlimited Three, Pg. 88 ).
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Due to work on my story (see From the Desk of Special Agent Simpson thread), my work on the Hooded Lantern(Major) power was delayed. I am also trying to work up some powers based on energy expulsion targeted through the chakra points. Hopefully I will get back on track shortly.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

This power is similar to two others I have posted, Blast Furnace and Waterworks.

Hooded Lantern(Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"I am the light you seek".

The character is able to change his body into a hollow metal shell containing photon particles.

1.Photon Blast: The character can release the energy within him as physical attacks.
Range: 1000 feet, plus 100 feet per level
Damage: 1d4X10, +2 per level
Attacks per melee: Each beam counts as one melee attack/action

2.Shadow Light Beam: The character can also shoot a light beam which is harmless and does no damage. It is so bright that it can be used to partially blind an opponent( Partailly opponents are -5 to all combat actions for 1d6 melee rounds.
Range: 2000 feet
Damage: None
Attacks per melee: Each blast counts as one melee attack/action. Can maintain the beam for a full melee round with no further actions used.

3.Photon Particle Points: Upon becoming metal, the character splits off his original SDC, converting it into photon particle points which he can use for his photon blasts. The photon particles must be replaced before the character can return to human form. He regains it by absorbing photon particles to replace those used, requiring one full melee to regain 15 photon particles( regains one point per second). This cannot be done at night or in areas of limited light.

4.Bio-Armor: The character appears to be an armored humanoid. The "armor" is actually a type of organic metal shell.
Natural Armor Rating: 16. Any attack below 16 does no damage. Any rolls above 16 do damage to the armor shell.
SDC: 200, +20 per level
Movement Penalty: Character's speed is reduced 50%. Penalty to prowl of -40%; cannot climb in this form.

5.Projecting Out As Light: The character can leave the shell temporarily, up to 2d6 melee rounds, but will have to return before that time expires. The hero can exist as light in a room in oreder to spy on others, but does not have the benefit of his shell, so any SDC lost comes off this form, with the photon points acting as SDC, but as the hero is immune to most attacks tis is not really a big problem. The hero cannot attack in this form and is invulnerable to all but psionic, magic and shadow based attacks. Shadow attacks do double damage.

6.Limitations: The character ha only very limited movement ouside the shell, having to remain within it most of the time. Immune to light and laer attacks, half damage from concussive blasts. Damage that cracks the armor will release photons, the hero doing 4d6 damage to the attacker. If a hole is broken in the shell, the hero loses one photon particle point per second and cannot rgain it, being forced to return to human form with any lots points appearing as damage (-1 SDC for each photon particle point lost). The character can choose to erupt as a suicide attack, doing 1d4X10 damage to the assailant, but if he does this must roll a save vs. coma/death or have his essence dissipate permanently.
All of his senses are half as effective while in the metal shell, making him -4 to perception rolls.

7.Mass and Strengh adjustment: Weight is half, but physical srength becomes Extraordinary in this form. Fatigues at half normal rate.

8.Other Abilities and Bonuses: Horror Factor: 13

It obviously still needs work, but that is what I have so far.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Senator Cybus wrote:Energy Expulsion: Chaos (Major) By Senator Cybus

“I’m telling ya, the cape that nabbed us after the bank job must’ a had about a million powers! He was throwing fireballs and lightning, freezing stuff in ice, making monsters pop in outta nowhere! Funny thing though, - he looked kind’ a nervous…”

...snip

It might be more chotic if when this power is rolled for that the GM rolls up the different effects from the minor power lists so even chars with this power don't have the same random effects.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

That would be cool, but I was trying to keep the book-keeping to a minimum; I'm concerned that the game could grind to a halt if the GM has to keep going back to the books every time the character shoots something. This way, you only have to spend five minutes noting down the effects of twenty powers and you're good to go.

I like my chaos to be well-ordered. :-)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

As a way of apology to Pepsi Jedi, i created the following power:

Atomic Conversion(Major) by Stone Gargoyle
"Don't make me mad or I'll blow."
The hero can cause a nucleus of his atomic structure to become unstable, absorbing radiation to shoot forth energy. The character converts the mass to energy, losing 1% of his body mass.

1.Atomic Energy Points: The hero generates atomic energy points by deconstructing his atoms. The resultant energy is expressed as atomic energy points. 1 point of SDC produces the hero's PE number in atomic energy points, with the limit being the hero's PE number in SDC.

2.Electron Cloud: The hero can separate the electrons from the energy created to produce electrical effects.
a)Energy Expulsion: Electricity: By burning one atomic energy point, the hero can cause electrical bolts to shoot from his eyes or fingertips. As the character gains experience, he can regulate the degree of damage in incrememts of 1d6.
Range: 400 feet maximum.
Damage: 3d6, +1d6 per level
Attacks per melee: Each electrical blast counts as one melee attack/action.
b)Energy Expulsion: Electrical Field: By burning 2 atomic energy points, the character can turn himself into a living dynamo, crackling with electrical energy. Standing stationary, the hero can generate a field of electricity around himself affecting everyone within the power's radius. Victims caught in the field will suffer a minimum of 4d6 damage for every five seconds caught in the field. Experience characters can diminish the field's damage to as little as 1d6 per 5 seconds of exposure.
While the field is up, the character can block projectiles, bullets and thrown objects, which are -8 to strike but do full damage if they hit.
Range: 10 foot radius, +2 feet per level
Damage: 4d6 per five seconds. The damage of the field does NOT increase with experience or age.
Attacks per melee: The erection of the field counts as 2 melee attacks/actions. Remaining attacks/actions can be performed from within the electrical field.
Duration: One full melee (can be instantly renewed by burning more atomic power points.
Bonuses: Area effect; no aimed shot or long range attacks are possible, but everyone within the field takes damage.

3.Conduction: The hero can generate heat enough to boil water and inflict extra damage by burning an opponent (+2d6 damage to barehanded strikes) without burning any atomic energy points. By touch.

4.Discharging Neutrons: Each use of an atomic energy point creates neutron radiation. While this can be neutralized, the character can also discharge it in an attack or as flight. This costs no atomic energy points to accomplish.
a)Discharge Nuclear Fire: The hero can discharge nuclear fire from his eyes or hands. The severity can be regulated in increments of 1d6.
Range: 100 feet, plus 10 feet per level
Damage: 3d6, +1d6 per level
Attacks per melee: Discharging nuclear fire uses 1 melee attack/action
Bonus: +3 to aimed shot
Note that the nuclear fire is free from radioactive contaminants and does not harm the environment.
b)Flight:Energy: The nuclear fire can also be directed out of the hero's feet to allow the hero to fly, leaving a noticeable trail.
Bonuses in flight: The hero can hover several inches above the ground during combat to use his full bonuses.
Speed: 160mph, +20mph per level
+1 attack per melee
+1 to strike and parry
+2 to dodge when under 80mph; +4 at speeds over 80mph
+4 damage for every 20mph of flight speed
+20SDC

5.Immunities: The hero is immune to the effects of extreme heat and fire and is impervious to electrical attack. He takes half damage from light and lasers. However, the hero takes twice damage from cold attacks.

6.Absorb Radiation: The hero automatically absorbs radioactive energy within a 100 foot radius, +10 feet per level, reducing the effects of extreme radiation by 5% and damage by 1% by means of his mere presence.

7.Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+1d4 PE
+1d4X10 SDC
Heals twice normal rate
Note that SDC converted into atomic energy points must be regained as part of the hero's normal healing process.

Coming next: Controlled Energy Expulsion(Major).
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Senator Cybus wrote:That would be cool, but I was trying to keep the book-keeping to a minimum; I'm concerned that the game could grind to a halt if the GM has to keep going back to the books every time the character shoots something. This way, you only have to spend five minutes noting down the effects of twenty powers and you're good to go.

I like my chaos to be well-ordered. :-)

it would still be five min. of note taking...becasue the random powers would be selected @ char creation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Controlled Energy Expulsion(Major) by Stone Gargoyle
The hero has the power to redirect his energy pulses through the use of his chakra points.

1.Energy Expulsion: Energy; The hero can generate energy which can be released in directed pulses. The energy pulses can be fired from the top of the head, the forehead, the eyes, the mouth, the center of the chest, the hands, the belly, the groin or the feet. The pulse can be fired from any of these locations.
Primary Locations: The hero must select one location as the default firing/expulsion point. Movement to a different expulsion location or the addition of additional locations(after level 3) takes an additional action.
Range: 600 feet maximum.
Damage: 2d6, +1d6 per level of experience
Special: The more powerful and experienced characters (3rd level and higher) can regulate the strength of each blast in increments of 1d6.
In addition, the more experienced superbeing can divide the energy to fire two simultaneous blasts at two different targets at level 3, three different targets at level6, four different targets at level 9, five different targets at level 12, and six different targets at level 15.
Limitations of Divided Attack: No bonus to strike. All targets must be within line of sight. Each target beyond the first 2 imposes a -1 shot penalty to hit (cumulative, so the fourth target would be at -2 and so on).
Attacks per melee: One, though relocating or activating more chakra locations uses an additional attack.
Bonuses: +3 to an aimed shot, +1 wild; no bonus is applicable to divided attacks.

2.Meditation Amplification: By meditating for one full melee prior to expelling the energy attack, the hero can cause all the chakra locations to fire at full damage rather than dividing the attack damage (so at level nine he could potentially fire a blast using multiple chakra points to shoot a single target for 40d6(4d6X10) or four separate targets doing 10d6(1d6X10) damage each). While meditating, the hero must enter a meditative trance and cannot perform any other actions. If interrupted, he will have to start over in order to channel the energy again. The meditative trance must take place the melee round prior to the hero using the energy expulsion to be effective. Using this sort of amplified attack uses up all the melee attacks/actions for that round.

3.Flight: Energy: The hero can fly by expelling energy out of the bottoms of his feet.
Bonuses in flight: The hero can hover several inches above the ground during combat in order to use his full bonuses, though this will reduce his available expulsion locations by one and reduce his damage, as if dividing the attack to shoot from the feet, by 1d6.
Damage: Anything within his flight wake (within 600 feet) will take 1d6 energy damage as a result.
Flight Speed: 160mph, +20mph per level
+1 attack per melee
+1 to strike and parry
+2 to dodge when hovering or flying at speeds under 80mph; +4 at speeds greater than 80mph
+4 damage for every 20mph of flight speed
+20SDC

4.Other Bonuses:
Immune to pulse energy, takes half damage from other types of energy
+2d6 ISP
+10% to Divination, philosophy and religion skills
Automatically gains Meditation skill (see N&SS Mystic China)
+2 to save vs. mind control
+2 to HtoH combat moves
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:it would still be five min. of note taking...becasue the random powers would be selected @ char creation.

Ah, gotcha: I thought you meant that the GM would roll not to determine twenty possible effects at character creation, but to select from all the powers on the lists every time the character fires a shot! :shock:

I like your take on it, but you'd have to be lucky to get a fair, balanced spread of powers. On the list I compiled, in every block of three powers there's one that's directly damaging, one that's useful for incapacitating or distracting an opponent and one that's either useless or even detrimental to the character.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I like the Atomic Conversion(Major), A very interesting and uniquic way of doing things.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I like the Atomic Conversion(Major), A very interesting and uniquic way of doing things.

I hope you know I checked a book out from the library on nuclear power just to research how it works. :-D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Daydream(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
This is a minor form of reality manipulation. The hero projects "daytime" for a radius of 100 feet per level. It basically makes the area of effect lit up like it is day even when in the middle of the night and increases light during the dy, in addition to giving the illusion to all within the radius of influence that it is daytime when it may not be. The hero is therefore immune to darkness powers and spells.
Note that if the power is negated, the hero will suffer double penalties for darkness and have to roll a save vs. fear of the dark(16 or better, ME bonus applies) or be paralyzed with fear and unable to move or attack for 1d4 melee rounds. If still dark after the initial period of paralysis, a second save vs. fear will have to be made, but at -1 difficulty. Saves will have to be continuously made each melee until the power returns.
Other Bonuses: The hero is fully rested after only half the normal amount of sleep.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Data Stream(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The hero can encode mental images and data onto hydrogen molecules. This essentially allows the hero to implant messages in water which are transmitted to the person drinking it. This can also be used to create confusing thoughts and disorientation, though the victim can save against this effect(14 or better, ME bonus applies). The hero can affect their ME number in gallons. An individual immersed in water so affected must save vs. psionic attack or be moved to insanity (makes a second save, 14 or better, ME bonus applies).
Range: Touch
Duration: Water remains affected if isolated in one place, using a container such as a drinking glass or fish tank or bath tub, for the hero's ME number in hours.
Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+2 save vs. psionic attack and mind control
+4 save vs. Insanity
+2 save vs. poisons and toxins in liquid form
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Data Stream(minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The hero can encode mental images and data onto hydrogen molecules. This essentially allows the hero to implant messages in water which are transmitted to the person drinking it. This can also be used to create confusing thoughts and disorientation, though the victim can save against this effect(14 or better, ME bonus applies). The hro can affect their ME number in gallons. An individual immersed in water so affected must save vs. psionic attack or be moved to insanity (makes a second save, 14 or better, ME bonus applies).
Range: Touch
Duration: Water remains affected if isolated in one place, using a container such as a drinking glass or fish tank or bath tub, for the hero's ME number in hours.
Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+2 save vs. psionic attack and mind control
+4 save vs. Insanity
+2 save vs. poisons and toxins in liquid form

the ME in gallons seems really high but the rest is really cool SG
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nine Lives(Major) by Stone Gargoyle
The hero has the ability to channel skills and memories from past lives.

1.Past life Regression: The hero can channel the personality and skills of a past life self.
Range: Self
Duration: 2d4 hours
Attacks: The hero must enter a trance for one full melee round in which they can perform no other action in order to channel a past life personality.
Saving Throw: The hero must make a saving throw vs. possession to prevent the channeled personality from taking him over fully(12 or better, ME bonus applies). If the save is failed, the channeled personality will take over the hero's body for the time of the channeling, committing acts in their own best interests.
Number Available for Channeling: The hero is able to channel one past life personality at level one and gains an additional past life remembrance/personality to channel at level 2,4,6,8,10, 12 and 14

2.Personality Profiles: Each personality from the past should be rolled as its own character. Roll for IQ, MA and ME and choose an alignment for the personality, which will have its experience level rolled on a d12. Any IQ bonuses and level adjustments should be made to determine each personality's skill percentages.

3.Skills: Any skills shared between the hero and the channeled being will be performed at the higher level of experience of the two, +10%. New skills channaled from a past life will be at the level of the past life personality, but with a skill penalty of -10%. Skills will only be accessible when accessing the personality they belong to and only one personality can be channeled at any given time. Any of the hero's skills not shared or new will be performed at -20% while channeling another personality.

4.Past Life Remembrance: Events from the time period in which a past life lived will be remembered at 70% while channeling that specific past life and at 50% proficiency when not channeling it.

5.Limitations: Physical skills do not carry over from past lives in the same way other skills do. If the past life has skills in common with the hero, the hero will gain a =!0% to them while ife entity. Skill bonuses do not apply if the hero is possessed, with the past life entity using its own skill percentages with no modification.
The past life regression/channeling of a past life personality will end if the hero is knocked unconscious or is reduced to half SDC or Hit Points.

6.Other Abilities and Bonuses:
WP and Hand to Hand skills are performed as if 2 levels higher than normal at all times as a result of the added personalities.
+1d4 ME
+20% save vs. coma/death
+1d4X10 SDC
+2d6 hit points

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”