Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those all had some interesting possibilities in history.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

12 cities around are exchange with 12 cities from the 3 Galaxies,2 from the CCW,2 from the TGE,1 from FWC,1 from UWW,I need to thinking about the others.

They replace Detroit,San Francisco,(with the 2 of CCW)Tehran of Iran(With 1 of the TGE)Pyongyang of North Korea(With the other TGE City)Dover of UK (with the UWW)Nagasahi Japan (with the City of FWC).
Aramanthus
Monk

That has some interesting possibilities Gaby! Very Cool!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm...smaller communities replace Russian or Baltic communities...maybe some British or Irish towns?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Smaller communities? From phase world?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Smaller communities? From phase world?

Yep...Typical Central Alliance town, Golgan garrison town, Altess resort community, Hartigal Combine township, Naruni Enterprises sweatshop camp, TriGalaxies Military Services liberty-city....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Not too good at big long-range projects, but I'll see what I can do...

Basically, what we have is robotics getting an early push during the Victorian Age with various steampunk automata(think the giant steam-powered spider from the 'Wild Wild West' movie), but owing to the limitations of technology, automata seemed doomed to decline before more efficient combustion-engined vehicles during WW1...however, atomic research advanced greatly during the Great War, and Europe managed not to irradiate itself in the process...Before the Germans could advance withing cannon-range of Paris, several French scientists managed to get out of the country to continue their work with colleagues in America and Britain, and manage to perfect workable atomic reactors(maybe this can be based on some semi-mystical mad science rather than actual physics for variety's sake)....Espionage gives the Prussians their own impetus to perfrom atomic research, and it is rumored that the desperate Germans try to radium-bomb LOndon and Paris with Gotha bombers before the end of the war...the Kaiser denies it, but post-war terms force the Germans to secretly conduct their atomic research abroad(including, it is rumored, in Antarctica)....
The new powerplants (fission and emergent Fusion) help take the edge off the Great Depression in America...and a chemical process for safely disposing of the nuclear waste promises to make atomic power the energy of the future...and several inventors find that the bulky, but powerful, atomic engines are PERFECT for a new generation of automata...

By the time WW2 rolls around, 'clean fission' powerplants are available for mecha, superheavy vehicles, and naval units, and research into a more powerful 'fusion' system is just around the corner....Bombs have been contemplated, but like poison gas, people have them, but don't really plan on using them...In th developing countries, 'dirty fission', internal combustion, and steam power are still used, powering a variety of old-fashioned 'bamboo-automata' and 'straw-mannequins'...The Chinese, proud of their steam- and oil-fired Dragon-Soldiers, are gobsmacked when the Japanese steam into Manchuria with their own I.C.E.- and fission-powered Imperial Samurbots....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice expansion! It looks nice fleshed out more.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting Alternate Universe. Thank you for sharing it.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Good idea.

maybe you can come up with Heroes for all 3.
Aramanthus
Monk

I have to admit NPCs in that one would be cool!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm....Hitler gets killed in an 'accidental' fission-pile melt-down in a Kreig-Warrior robot he's examining, then Rommel marches his Panzer-Striders on Berlin, literally crushing the Reichstag and the diehard Nazi leadership(those that haven't fled already.....Goebbels poisons himself rather than face trial, but the Army saves his family from a similar fate, Goering attempts to schmooze his way into the new government but when his attempted Luftwaffe coup fails, he attempts to flee to the west and maike a separate peace with the Allies...Instead, they put him on trial as a war criminal and hang him....Afraid of a similar fate if they simply surrender, the German Officer Corps continue to resist, but toss the Allies various other war criminals(Mengle, Borman, Eichmann, etc...), hoping that a showing that 'Germans can clean up what Nazis did' will get the allies from simply rolling over them...Oh, and we got missile-borne nukes too!

Now we decide who in the German leadership we keep alive and what effect they have on future events....Is Canaris, head of the military intelligence still alive, or was he hanged as in our history? Did Himmler go out fighting, or does he slip away into the mists of obscurity....
Figures like Von Braun might never have left Germany....does he push Germany into the space age?

How about Mussolini? Do his Centurions allow him to revive an Italian Empire, or does this timeline doom him again to be shot by partisans?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very interesting thoughts on that alternate universe Taalismn! To know that Hitler died sounds awesome! And that Rommel and Canaris both survived the war. That would be an interesting world to live in just to see the changes.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

.3 way Cold War is Great.

I think a Germany will drop the Alliance with Japan too make peace with the U.S.

You known Vampire_Hunter,who can also Roosevelt never got elected for a fourth term,the man you won,accept the peace deal,so the US,s forces can foces only on Japan.
taalismn
Priest

Maybe the Bomb is never dropped in Japan, the intended invasion takes place, but the Soviets now jump in to invade via the northern islands and Korea...the latter forming divisions between the Russian Communist Party and the Chinese Communist Party when it becomes clear that Stalin is going, not to support fellow Communists, but making an Eastern territory grab...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Some more interesting ideas on that really cool alternate universe. :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

But what countries would the German General Staff manage to stabilize the Axis at after offing Hitler? Germany, Austria, and Italy(or northern Italy)? Maybe Rumania(the oil fields of Polesti) as an every present and vulnerable bone of contention between the Facists and the Communists? Draw the eastern line somewhere down the middle of Poland, with a sort of situation as was done with Germany in our own timeline...East/West Poland? Free France and the Netherlands/Belgium/Denmark in Allied hands...Maybe the Germans still holding onto Norway/Finland(that's where the true timeline Germans were getting the heavy water for their own atomic research from.).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:...and it is rumored that the desperate Germans try to radium-bomb LOndon and Paris with Gotha bombers before the end of the war...the Kaiser denies it, but post-war terms force the Germans to secretly conduct their atomic research abroad(including, it is rumored, in Antarctica)....

Hmm... I just wonder, that how severe would those peace terms be
against a nuclear armed Imperial Germany? You know, it is like
bully someone with a loaded shotgun (I mean the victim has that
shotgun).

What if the Central Powers - while losing the war - are spared
more or less... Hitler then would not be the Führer, since there
is no such vengefull, humiliated nation... Well, not becoming
the Führer in the same fashion, with the same agenda.

Maybe even Russia does not becomes the Soviet Union.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That world has some interesting appeal with me. It would be very interesting to see what the modern era would have looked there. Too bad someone didn't off Stalin too. Maybe that would have made the cold war a lot nicer place to be. But of course then you have to wonder if someone more unstable had been in charge maybe WW3 might have happened and claimed humanity in it's entirety.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Germany would hand Russia an even more humiliating defeat that might speed up the whole breakdown....

And faced with the prospect of radiological weapons, the Allies are even more intent on breaking the capabilities of the Germans at least in the original scenario....

But if Germany DOES have a substantial nuclear program going at the end of the Great War, the Kaiser might be able to hang on for awhile, and maybe even take advantage of the troubles in Russia to make a landgrab, provided the Allies under Woodrow Wilson's version of the UN don't see a resurgently belligerent Germany as needing a more thoroughly crushing....

Here's another splinter universe...Hitler creates a special magic-using SS unit and dispatches it to use newly discovered 'gates' to travel to other universes to gather resources or other times to prevent the Allies from ever becoming a tangible threat to his Reich....A secret American-British unit, also trained in magic and the paranomal(shades of Hellboy) is dispatched to stop them, and ends up pursuing the Nazi diehards into the Megaverse...the Allied unit? Codename: 'VANGUARD'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is another very cool anternate universe!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Actually, the 3rd Reich was heavily pursuing the occult... So,
stuff like the above and the Indy Jones stories could have
happened (in an alternate reality, where the magic level is
more... perceptable to say so).

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

I remember hearing that about the Third reich. I also heard they were after everything supposely supernatural they could get their grubby hands on. There are rumors that they were after the spear of destiny. I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered that being said somewhere.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Plus I wanted to have the CS Vanguard OCCs belonging to somebody else as well...so having them warring across the megaverse with a bunch of Nazis(Prosek's rolemodel) would be wild.....American GI Indian Codetalker Shamans, nice well-educated warlock boys from Boston-Salem, and werewolves from Tennessee, anyboy?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:I remember hearing that about the Third reich. I also heard they were after everything supposely supernatural they could get their grubby hands on. There are rumors that they were after the spear of destiny. I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered that being said somewhere.

Actually, there is a spearhead in Vienna, which is supposed to be
the Spear of Longinus, and it belonged to the 3rd Reich untill early

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Alternate Timeline...Instead of developing his current personality, ARCHIE-3 instead does a 180 and develops a female personality that believes herself the avatar of a goddess---Pallas Athena...charged with protecting the last great democracy on Earth....While she still ejects the bulk of the Republicans for their short-sighted goals, her legions of robots...amazonian Shemarrians and male 'Spartans' show a far more enlightened view towards the scattered peoples of 'Athens' and actively seeks out 'heroes' and champions', gifting them with Golden Age weapons and bionics to carry out various quests...The Splugorth are idnetified with the rapacious Persians, and treated accordingly...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very cool idea for an alternate universe Taalismn!

I knew that about the spear of Longinus. Sorry I'm a skeptic on whether it actually survived the time of Christ.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Or what if ARCHIE-3 had been based out west? How might he go about dealing with the vampire problem?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Sure there are several dozen secret US military bases in various locations across the country to hide Archie in. I guess Archie would have to create a silver mining robot that might look like the mining borg.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm...I wonder if you could jigger bio-systems and cloned tissue to fool at least wild and secondary vampires into being decoyed?
(thoughts of a helpless village girl turning around and doing a Terminator on a pack of blood-suckers...or an entire 'Ptomepkin' village wiping out vampire raiders with concealed weaponry)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

You'd have to be able to clone the flesh over the skelton. As for keeping it warm and functioning, I suppose the designer would have to find a way of keeping the flesh and blood supplied with oxygen and nutrients.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

WEll...it would be rather more advanced than a CyberHUmanoid....ARCHIE-3(Or his doppleganger) might be bright enough to figure something out...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

He is more than smart enough to figure something out on that note. Have to admit it would be interesting to see what sort of robots he'd create to hunt vampires. They's probably have silver vibro claws or maybe some sort built in small calibur fire arms loaded with silver rounds.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Got a few ideas from my Paladin Steel/Five Star Alliance days.... Maybe I can format them as 'mysterious androids'....

ARCHIE-3: "Eh? What's this? 'ATHENA-6'?!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That sounds wrong Gadrin!!! :D ROFLMAO

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Vampire: "It's not being defeated by a hapless piece of warm meat that turned out to be an alien God of Wind and Water that hurts...it's the way he called upon the elements to wipe us out that's so humiliating..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL Another interesting variation! :lol: :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

A drunken god-entity appears before a crowded football stadium(or NASCAR rally) and declares all the audience his/her chosen champions...effectively making them Imbued Superbeings(to use the Heroes Unlimited terms)...chaos insues...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That would be a very cool universe to be from. I'd like to be from there! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

It gets complicated by the fact that the hovernment wants to know who all of these people are...some of them being foreign nationals whose governments want them back ASAP, fringe groups that want these people for their own agendas, others who see them as having been cursed, a religious upheaval sweeping the land, and some people wondering if it's really a great deal to be a Holy Avatar of a being who appears intoxicated and belches out his or her blessing?

Of course, any RPG players in the crowd will immediately begin wondering who they're supposed to Champions AGAINST and hoping like hell they don't show up any time soon....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:
Of course, any RPG players in the crowd will immediately begin wondering who they're supposed to Champions AGAINST and hoping like hell they don't show up any time soon....

The brutal, mercilles forces of soberness... :D

(I guess if Loki had a night out with Dionüsos the results would be
very similar).

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Yep...everybody else would be like "Wow! I can finally live out my fantasy!" while those ALREADY living in fantasy would be 'OH SH___!!!!!'
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

American expansion into the West is stymied by the Spanish and Russians (through Alaska) arming the American Indians and providing them with technical support.....

The Japanese greet Admiral Perry with modern cannon....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

What if before WW2 instead of blaming the jews, Hitler blamed the French. So the whole of Germany gets behind the Nazi movement. When Germany goes against France they win and force the entire population to relocate.

Interesting ideas from last week.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Stalin dies prior to WW2(natural causes or assassination by political rivals)...would his successors have had the coldbloodedness to win the Great Patriotic War at any cost, or would they have folded under the German onslaught?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

How about the Germans unite all of the different cultures under them instead of presecuting them. Therefore Germany is far stronger in the end.
Last edited by Aramanthus on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

What if Hitler had somply died of his gassing in WW1? An economically strong, but emotionally disgraced Germany might well have found itself in internal turmoil from Communist agitation, rather than fascist conspiracy...
Of course, without Germany fieldtesting its hardware, the Spanish Civil War might well have amounted to little more than a bloody little internal scrap and Franco might have been shot in the streets instead of rising to power.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting one!

Evil one below.
What if England and the US had signed a neutrality agreement with Hitler and Germany. Then the Germans would never have had the western front to worry about.

Another one nasty one.........
What if those facist parties in the US and England manage to get those countires to sign on with the Germans in their conquest of the world.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

"I'll beat up the Communists for you, and later, while you're feeling smug, and we've rebuilt our military, I'll conquer you?" ....Sounds like Hitler alright...H e WAS aiming to force England into a quick capitulation, sue for peace(he had a perverse admiration for the British or at least for their navy), then he'd turn his full force on who he considered the REAL threat...fellow butcher Stalin...

The American agicultural societies...the German American Bunds...actually raised a stink for a while, because National Socialism, like Communism, before it, looked good as a political system(at least on paper), and the crude early misunderstandings of genetics had spawned social eugenics in America...

Interestingly enough, one of the loudest voices that rose in protest against the Japanese mistreatment of the vanquished Chinese was the local representative of the German electronics industry, a man who was a card-carrying member of the Nazi Party(when being a member was considered the fashionable thing for all right-thinking Germans...like joining a service club), who continually wired Berlin to have Hitler lean on his Japanese allies to reign in their troops(If you can get past the gruesome depictions of Japanese atrocities, I suggest you read "The Rape of Nanking' and the descriptions of the 'Schindler of the East')

If HItler HAD died during the post-Facist establishment of power period, it's not clear who his likely successor would have been...Goering would certainly have plopped his generous posterior into the Furhership, but whether who would be able to hold it with such Hitler favorites as the then-Gaulitier of Poland still alive, or the ominous Himmler and his SS cult in the background, before he got whacked, is open to argument.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Actually - as Franko's spain showed - national socialism
do have a nice face (as well as communism, since the
practical working of the Soviet Block was far from communism
on paper... Flawed with things like Panslavonic Chauvinism,
and the rotten to the core Party leadership, see Stalin )...

But frankly, the ending of WWI, especially the "peace"
treaites were... Well, mere "cease fire for 20 years".

Were Adolf dead, things should have happened differently,
but with not much blood.

A "fun fact" is that France planned to bomb the Soviet
oil complexes around the Caspian Sea - it was only stopped
by France's collapse in 1940...

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”