Rune Armor/Statues any way to kill them?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Rune Armor/Statues any way to kill them?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Okay the description of Rune Stateus includes the fact that they are indestruable. Then why is it every elite unit isn't covered in Rune Armor.
Is there anyway to destroy a Rune Statue? Why wouldn't the Splugorth make enviomental rune armor that had spells that created air and food for there wearers? If you made the armor skintight or give it a inertial dampener then even kinetic blasts couldn't rattle the wearer.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

No way aside from having a Scathach Druid (see Rifts: England) create a Cauldron of Destruction large enough to put one in.

And then hope like hell that it doesn't wake up while the ritual is being conducted.

As to why the Sploogs don't make Armors using the same "technology," the short answer seems to be that while everybody and his brother has at least one indestructible thingy on their person in PFRPG universe, from indestructible swords to toenail clippers, Kevin seems to have made a conscious decision to keep such potentially game-unbalancing types of equipment out of the Rifts™ environment.

(And an easy explanation for that, inside the game, is that the super powerful magicks of the PFRPG realm are not only unknown to the Megaverse at large, but most of that knowledge 'died' many millennia ago in the Purification era following the Time of a Thousand Magicks.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

lather needs indestructible toenail clippers!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Rune Armor/Statues any way to kill them?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

csbioborg wrote:Okay the description of Rune Stateus includes the fact that they are indestruable. Then why is it every elite unit isn't covered in Rune Armor.

Because the only kind of Rune Armor that exists is in Dragons & Gods, and guess what?
It's not indestructible.

Also, the Splugorth likely don't know how to make it.

Is there anyway to destroy a Rune Statue?

Nope.

Why wouldn't the Splugorth make enviomental rune armor that had spells that created air and food for there wearers? If you made the armor skintight or give it a inertial dampener then even kinetic blasts couldn't rattle the wearer.

One of two reasons:
1. They simply don't know how to make it.
2. Palladium is really gunshy about indestructible armor for some reason.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

One of two reasons:
1. They simply don't know how to make it.
2. Palladium is really gunshy about indestructible armor for some reason.[/quote]

I was talking about in game. Obviously I know why Palladium wouln't want to intoduce it. It just seems if you can make a rune statue you could do the same thing just hollowing out the inside. I just find it a little strange that Atlas with a 90 ps couldn't even dent a device a mortal created. I was hoping I had missed something

HOw riddle me this what happens when to statues are commanded to kill each other? Outside of another superseding command are they locked in battle for eternity?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

csbioborg wrote:I was talking about in game. Obviously I know why Palladium wouln't want to intoduce it. It just seems if you can make a rune statue you could do the same thing just hollowing out the inside.
Ah, I see that you're new here.

Welcome to the Boards!!

First thing first, you have to learn and repeat the Sacred Mantra:

"It's Rifts...it doesn't have to make sense."

I just find it a little strange that Atlas with a 90 ps couldn't even dent a device a mortal created. I was hoping I had missed something
Why is it hard for you to accept that, if you at the same time accept the concept of indestructible Rune Weapons and Artifacts??

HOw riddle me this what happens when to statues are commanded to kill each other? Outside of another superseding command are they locked in battle for eternity?
They carry out their orders, and nothing happens to them.

Then not long after that, their 30 minutes-per-day activation time is up and their mission is "complete."

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

csbioborg wrote: Obviously I know why Palladium wouln't want to intoduce it. It just seems if you can make a rune statue you could do the same thing just hollowing out the inside.

Thing is, that's impossible to say since we don't know what exactly is involved in making the Rune Statues in the first place.
Could be that they have to be solid.

If you really want to get into it, I've been toying with the notion that magical enchantments work more with Platonic Forms than with real-world physics.
A Rune Statue that is designed to fit around a human being (or other occupant) wouldn't fit the Form of a statue; it would fit the Form of armor.
And Rune Armor and Rune Statues have different properties.

Yup.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Platonic forms? You mean dice?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
sasha wrote:Platonic forms? You mean dice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_form#Forms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_forms

Aha. I was thinking of Platonic Solids. I was imagining using these solids as sort of atoms to build magical structures; such as Metatron's Cube.
csbioborg
Champion

just throughing this out me and a friend were having a debate on what the most fundamental shape is. I argued the tetrahedron since that is strongest geometric shape in phyiscs. You can stack a infinte amount together can they will remain terahedrons. He argued that the sphere was since that is the shape objects that produce enough gravity invitiable dondencse into. We agreed that we were both right and in a three dimesinal array I was correct while discussing single shape he was.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

One thing to remember is that, for every major Rune item (weapon, statue/ etc) a mjor being, like an ancient dragon, demon lord, demigod or god must be captured and their soul forced into the rune item to empower it. Lesser rune items can be made with less powerful creatures, but they are 'lesser'. So a natural limiting factor on the creation of rune items is that there are only a limited number of the super-powerful beings needed to make the rune items, and most likely those very powerful creatures will probably fight against being put in an eternal prison.

Also, if you're using the Rifts-Atlantis rules for the creation, the alignment of the sacrificed being will be the alignment of the new rune item, and only usable by those of similar alignment. So if the Splugorth sacrifice all the good beings in the megaverse, they are risking arming their enemies. And if they make items their own minions can use, then they are weakening their own powerbase/market that they sell to by killing their best/richest customers!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

If you wanted to implement rune armor, you could make it work like the armor that Ares wears in CB2. Completely regenerates in X amount of time and cannot be destroyed.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Gungnir.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Rune armor would be pretty darn...well...scary.
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Shadyslug wrote:Rune armor would be pretty darn...well...scary.

Give it an AR.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

csbioborg wrote:Okay the description of Rune Stateus includes the fact that they are indestruable. Then why is it every elite unit isn't covered in Rune Armor.
Is there anyway to destroy a Rune Statue? Why wouldn't the Splugorth make enviomental rune armor that had spells that created air and food for there wearers? If you made the armor skintight or give it a inertial dampener then even kinetic blasts couldn't rattle the wearer.

Because Rune Armor isn't indestructable. Rune Statues are. You can't keep people inside statues. they have to be solid.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I believe all rune armor regenerates back to 100% after all its sdc/mdc is removed...

SO technically it is indestructible.

Its just that having a character who could not be killed would be awkward at the least.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

PFRPG, The Western Empire, pgs 221 - 222, The Hand of Tezuan - A Runic Artifact.

It's a Runic right gauntlet; a single piece of a suit of armor. Even the rules (not the flavor text) say there is infact an entire suit of armor, going so far as to give extra powers if a single person is wearing all the pieces.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

9voltkilowatt wrote:PFRPG, The Western Empire, pgs 221 - 222, The Hand of Tezuan - A Runic Artifact.

It's a Runic right gauntlet; a single piece of a suit of armor. Even the rules (not the flavor text) say there is infact an entire suit of armor, going so far as to give extra powers if a single person is wearing all the pieces.
The word "Rune," used in Palladium, does not always in fact refer to an item made with Rune Wizardry. And if that Gauntlet that you speak of is not indestructible, then it isn't an actual Rune Artifact, either.

9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

cornholioprime wrote:
9voltkilowatt wrote:PFRPG, The Western Empire, pgs 221 - 222, The Hand of Tezuan - A Runic Artifact.

The word "Rune," used in Palladium, does not always in fact refer to an item made with Rune Wizardry. And if that Gauntlet that you speak of is not indestructible, then it isn't an actual Rune Artifact, either.

"The Hand Of Tezuan is indestructible, so the wearer can subject his or her "hand" to any kind of harm without damage."

Direct quote from page 222 of the Western Empire book.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

9voltkilowatt wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

"The Hand Of Tezuan is indestructible, so the wearer can subject his or her "hand" to any kind of harm without damage."

Direct quote from page 222 of the Western Empire book.
Oh, crap......I completely forgot that this was PFRPG that you were talking about.

YOu have enough PFRPG Books to know that Enchantments of Indestructability, but which don't involve Rune Bio-Wizardry are extremely comon in the Palladium Dimension, right??

I have the Western Empire Book, and I may look at the entry later, OK??
(By the way, please remember that in a twist of irony, True Rune Weapons are rather rare in the Palladium Dimension, probably as a result of the Great Purge that followed the Time of a Thousand Magicks.)

9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

While true Rune weapons are rare ...there are still to damn many of them! And in my honest opinion, most simply are not worth the trouble of owning. Seems like any weapon designed that inflicts more then 4D6 damage is automatically a Rune weapon. In my mind any Greatest Rune device, weapon or not, should be the stuff of legend capable of toppling kingdoms and laying armies to waste. Besides, lets face it, weapons are meant for one thing; killing, and quite frankly regular Alchemical weapons can be made to do that very well.

*Oops, seemed to go into abit of a rant there.*
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

9voltkilowatt wrote:While true Rune weapons are rare ...there are still to damn many of them! And in my honest opinion, most simply are not worth the trouble of owning. Seems like any weapon designed that inflicts more then 4D6 damage is automatically a Rune weapon. In my mind any Greatest Rune device, weapon or not, should be the stuff of legend capable of toppling kingdoms and laying armies to waste. Besides, lets face it, weapons are meant for one thing; killing, and quite frankly regular Alchemical weapons can be made to do that very well.

*Oops, seemed to go into abit of a rant there.*

you need castlerake...

its dreamy. :)
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

rat_bastard wrote:you need castlerake...

its dreamy. :)

Nah, the kind of power I'm talking about should be able to kill your target AND their great, great, great, great, great, great grandmother on their fathers side and cause their children to roll over in their graves wether they are dead or not!

:D
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Pfhreak wrote:Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but it seemed to make more sense than starting a new one...

I was looking through my Rifts and PFRPG books today, specifically hunting for Rune Armor. From reading this, I take it the only mention of a complete suit of Rune Armor in canon is the Dragon Slayer in D&G. Is that correct?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Okay. Here's the deal with indestructible Rune Armor.

Once you make it, and the secret gets out, no one can kill anyone else. The most powerful spell in the game becomes Mental Blast, because it bypasses armor in favor of direct MDC damage or direct to Hit Points

Since you want to be able to kill your enemies, it's not in anyone's best interest to have Rune Armor
csbioborg
Champion

actually even in indestrutable armor you could still hurt people

remeber that sci fi book with the aliens that had long posiouns tongues and lived as ghosts after they died becasue of a special organ that could be sliced up so they could travel around

that were also hurt by radio waves

anyway those aliens had indestrutable ship armor but the humans bombarded them so they would rattle everythig inside bad enough that the interior would be wrecked

any one remeber the name of that sci fi?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

My favorites were the episodes where teh Enterprise would actually have rock and dirt fall from the ceiling after a blast.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Everyone seems to be forgetting that a Rune item needs to be formed from one solid piece of metal or stone, with no movable parts.

This makes it not just hard, but darn near impossible to create functional rune armor in the first place. Unless of course you made every piece of the armor a different rune item that are secured together by conventional clasps - which would be just plain silly.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Zerebus wrote:The statue can move after it is enchanted. Runic armor would have to wrap around the body of its owner and move with the owner's body rather than being a common set of rigid plate mail.

True, but I would assume that you would have to first be wearing the armor to activate it, similar to how you need to hold a rune weapon to use it (at first, not after a telepathic link has been forged, etc).

Though, with that being said, I am getting this cool image in my head now of a character touching a suit of rune armor on a stand and activating it - the armor glowing a faint blue before suddenly contorting and spiraling around the character so that he or she will be wearing it.

~ Josh
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Everyone seems to be forgetting that a Rune item needs to be formed from one solid piece of metal or stone, with no movable parts.

This makes it not just hard, but darn near impossible to create functional rune armor in the first place. Unless of course you made every piece of the armor a different rune item that are secured together by conventional clasps - which would be just plain silly.

~ Josh

Oooo! Oooo! Runic chain mail. Each link is a rune item. Just think of what it would take to make a single suit
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Everyone seems to be forgetting that a Rune item needs to be formed from one solid piece of metal or stone, with no movable parts.

~ Josh

Except the rune revolvers... I forget where they are, but I'm sure someone remembers...

Plus, I'd like to reiterate what rat_bastard said, but switch out "awkward" for "absurd."
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Josh Sinsapaugh

Crazy Lou wrote:

~ Josh

Except the rune revolvers... I forget where they are, but I'm sure someone remembers...

Plus, I'd like to reiterate what rat_bastard said, but switch out "awkward" for "absurd."

Ehhh... I don't like the Rune Revolvers. Probably one of the only things I didn't like about Madhaven.

The rest of the book might as well have been made out of chocolate strawberries though.

~ Josh
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Rune devices may be destroyed by a Magic cauldron of destruction (england page 41) under very specific conditions.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Zerebus wrote:I just tasted my copy of Madhaven. It is made of neither strawberries nor chocolate. :-(

It's really made out of Taylor's tears and sweat, and Brandon's ability to sit on the couch and eat cheetos while his co-author does all the writing.

~ Josh
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Zerebus wrote:I just tasted my copy of Madhaven. It is made of neither strawberries nor chocolate. :-(

It's really made out of Taylor's tears and sweat, and Brandon's ability to sit on the couch and eat cheetos while his co-author does all the writing.

~ Josh

truth.
csbioborg
Champion

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:

~ Josh

Ehhh... I don't like the Rune Revolvers. Probably one of the only things I didn't like about Madhaven.

The rest of the book might as well have been made out of chocolate strawberries though.

~ Josh

honestly I was okay with it there is precdent with the dragon rune gun from atlantis

I didn't like the head mystic knight they are munchkin enough with out with out any explnation megadamge
I have magically become a megadamge fortress overnight for no apparent reason

I also wish more of the book focused on the rest of madhaven instead of spending so much time on the mystic knights

overall greatbook but I could go with a adventures in Madhaven supplment that dosen't mention mystic knghts at all that could shore up more of new york
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Josh Sinsapaugh

csbioborg wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:

~ Josh

~ Josh

honestly I was okay with it there is precdent with the dragon rune gun from atlantis

Read the description, those aren't actual guns (per se), nor do they have moving parts.

~ Josh
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

I always thought paladiums arguments against indestructable armor interesting, to say the least. To make rune armor couldn't you just create it the same way you make regular plate, but enchanting each individual piece.....no straps needed, heck, its magic, so part of its 'power' could be its magical linking with each individual piece, only gaining sentience and true rune weapon status (well, armor).

Another thought is the argument against paper rune armor. Prepunch all of your patterns before placing the silver rune on each piece, and create paper 'strings' to keep it together, using still more silver runed paper as padding to make indesdructible padded armor. Now enchant it with silence and your good to go.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I got a way to make them near useless by holding them part way threw a rift, and when it closes it would lob off their head and maybe a limb with it. Sure would reduce it's speed and mobility.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
csbioborg
Champion

sacath druids can make indestrutble nails why not armor I ask no rune magic needed
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Ajax wrote:I'll add my 2 cents about the rune armor. Rune power armor (specificly but this applies to full suits also), lets take a supernatural being, capture it, kill it, bind it's soul into a indestructable aware moblie engine of war. Then try and tell it to that it that it has to serve the the person that's going "wear it". Does anyone else see the problems with this? If you don't then you should go check out the JLU cartoon series, there's one in particular (towards the end of the series) that shows how bad of an idea this truely is.

Why would a rune sword be any different? The rune armor is bound to the 'programing' of the enchantment the same as any other rune item.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Rune armor can be defeated by 1 skill:

Wrestling.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
csbioborg
Champion

Mark Hall wrote:Rune armor can be defeated by 1 skill:

Wrestling.

That's why when all the other bioborgs where playing juicer ball csbioborg was off practing his double leg and sprawl in the Splynn Pits

Return to “Rifts®”