Robotech Sneak Peaks!!

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

verdilak
Adventurer

Robotech Sneak Peaks!!

Unread post by verdilak »

Go here..

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=385485

In case you dont want to, the highlights...

Sometimes, it's awesome living in the Detroit area.

A friend of mine, who is even a bigger fan of Palladium than myself, has been doing some work down at the Palladium warehouse.

He called me up tonight and said, "Hey, want to be one of the only two Palladium Books fans to have a copy of the new Robotech game this evening?"

"Hells yeah!"

Sooooo... anyone want a spoiler or two?

The interior artwork is all black and white. There are a few reuses of old art along with a decent amount of brand new art. The character art is very nice and drawn in the "Anime" style reflected in the Robotech series.

Originally Posted by GAAAHHHH View Post
How does the quick character creation work?

1. Roll percentile, look at chart for base stats and single dice to toss for each stat.

2. Pick one of the OCCs that best match that base stat block.

3. Roll on a few more charts to round out the character. (Sex, Alignment, Race, Views on Earth among a few other things.)

4. Pick one of the MOS's that match the OCC you chose. (All your skills are automatically provided by the OCC and MOS.)

5. Away you go...

It's a light streamlining of the standard character creation method.

Originally Posted by Mostlyjoe View Post
SDC/MDC builds or MDC (with little need for SDC) builds? Is it RIFTS or Robotech rules?

Robotech rules.
MDC and SDC interacting shouldn't be common from the little I have been able to read so far. Just like the old Robotech games.

Originally Posted by Old Scratch View Post
A streamlined character generation system. SDC and MDC. Old Robotech rules. Some reused art.

Why buy this? Why not just play the old Robotech game if one were so inclined?

It adds in some new Veritech and other mecha, it ties into the new Shadow Chronicles movie, which expands the story of the Invid and the new villains, there's some new equipment, new art, new format and layout.

All the "goodies" are up in the front, all the villains are in the front of the book, along with their mecha, then it moves into character creation and finally keeps all the game play rules in a tight grouping after all of that.

At first I was like and then I was like "Hmmm... I can see how this would make running the game with the smaller format book easier to do..."

Reading some more...

The Cyclone entry basically answers my earlier statement about the 'extra' equipment. Part of the standard issue of a Cyclone is a "Survival Kit" loaded up with goodies. The same kit is also included in Veritechs.

So, a good deal of the extra equipment is also standard issue to the PCs.

Originally Posted by Nahualt View Post
Are the rules and equipment sections copy & paste or did they change the format and layout?

Does it have new rules or are they the same rules in the original Robotech RPG?

Do the Veritech stats change or are they the same as the original edition?

1. The Format and Layout is different. Some equipment and rules layout will be familiar, some will be less familiar.

2. So far, it appears to be really close to the original Robotech.

3. There are more entries than the original Invid Invasion material for the Alpha fighter. There are three variant Alpha fighters. There are new Cyclones and additional Veritech Vechicles. I haven't done more than just visually scan the mecha section.

Thats it so far.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

What I want to know is the MDC of the Cyclone the same as the Original - less or more. That will tell me the tone of the MDC I think... not sure... but I hope so.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

So Verdilak already has his copy of the new Robotech? Sounds interesting if that is how you generate characters.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
verdilak
Adventurer

nope, not I. someone else who has a thread up at rpg.net, as seen in the link. I just quoted his responses for those who didnt want to click on the link.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Oh ok. Sorry I didn't see the link. I'm at my Dad's computer sitting farther from the screen than normal and my eyesite didn't pick it up! Thank you for the quick response.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm....Have to see the streamlined PC generation...I'm sure some folks will want the old 'dig and grub' method to round out their new characters...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Chuckles

How long untill the first XXXX is OVERPOWERED post you think? :lol:
冠双
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I have bets, no later than Monday.
AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by AuroraKet »

Certainly won't surprise me in the least.

Some people always need something to complain about, after all ;)
Currently Playing:

Robotech: Rising Sun hosted by Chris
Robotech 2044: Tales of the Misfits Next Generation hosted by RyuDraconis
Robotech 2042: Getting the Goods hosted by silvermoon383

Will update when another is added. :)

Oh! And Support LibreOffice! Or OpenOffice. Don't be dominated by Microcrap greed!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

In the spirit of giving everyone what they want.

The .22 high standard victor is over powered!!! It can kill a person . . . with enough shots.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Hell...it can kill someone with ONE shot if you hit them in the right place.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

And lets not forget about the totaly munchkin pointy stick!

Let alone the redcurrants, After all you need a Tiger or a 16 ton weight to defend against someone with thoes!
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Nelzie© wrote:If you can think of a particular role within a squad as well as a greater military unit, in terms of infantry, then there is a Cylone or other Veritech Ground Vehicle aimed at that role.

Standard Infantryman? Check

Medic? Check

Point Man/Woman(Scout)? Check

Messenger/Courier? Check

Heavy Weapons? Check

Really Heavy Weapons? Check (No, this doesn't mean Gonzo heavy weapons.)

I can say that a full third of my RPG collection is Palladium Books material. Looking at the new Robotech book and comparing the mecha and weapons to what is in say Rifts or even Macross II, there is nothing to debate. The mecha in the new Robotech book is inline with the mecha from the old Print editions of the Palladium Robotech series.
Still this may well be debatable to those who don't own the book. For those who own the book, the damage figures on the heavy weapons cyclone is quite inline with the rest of the material.

only Cyclone with Mini-Missiles built into the chest cavity is the 40 series, which is the one with the CADS-1 system. There are no mini-missiles in the chest of the other Cyclones

the bold was my addition, the coment about debatable was triggered by my (joking) coment about the "Heavy^2 weapon Cyclone not being Gozo heavy

(150 geek points to the person who can actualy explain where the Gonzo reference originaly came from)
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

The Veritech Dun Buggy is transformable.

the story about the Condor, as presented in R:TSC RPG book it talks about how the Condor was originally a transformable fighter that didn't perform to spec in it's fighter mode, but performed very well in its battloid mode, thus they made it as a battloid only mecha.. . . They decided that the Condor is a non-transforming mecha and that the explanation for it sharing parts is so that they can produce larger quantities of interchangeable parts.

By using more ubiquitous components, if they need to rip a shoulder off of a Condor to bring back a badly needed Alpha... then they can do that. If they had a different design Battloid/Destroid, then they couldn't do that to get an Alpha back up and running. In this case interchangeable parts trumps having wildly different designs. Even with that, they remark that the Condor is on the way out of production.
oh my oh my oh ME oh my!
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

the story about the Condor, as presented in R:TSC RPG book it talks about how the Condor was originally a transformable fighter that didn't perform to spec in it's fighter mode, but performed very well in its battloid mode, thus they made it as a battloid only mecha.. . . They decided that the Condor is a non-transforming mecha and that the explanation for it sharing parts is so that they can produce larger quantities of interchangeable parts.

By using more ubiquitous components, if they need to rip a shoulder off of a Condor to bring back a badly needed Alpha... then they can do that. If they had a different design Battloid/Destroid, then they couldn't do that to get an Alpha back up and running. In this case interchangeable parts trumps having wildly different designs. Even with that, they remark that the Condor is on the way out of production.

This is a Taboo Topic here......
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

This is a Taboo Topic here......

Theirs only *one* company makeing a R:TSC RPG , and thats Paladium books. According to them It WAS a Transformable mecha in developement, but the production version is batteloid mode only.

So I guess we can talk about the fact that it was originaly transformable into a aerospace fighter during development, but it did not work very well and now is not.
冠双
verdilak
Adventurer

I'm wondering who made the guy modify his original post. *looks at PB* Whoever did is pretty low. Cheap as well. No honour.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

who made who modify what?

oh that,
probably his freind.
冠双
verdilak
Adventurer

Drakenred®™© wrote:who made who modify what?

oh that,
probably his freind.

eh prolly. I read into things too much.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

verdilak wrote:I'm wondering who made the guy modify his original post. *looks at PB* Whoever did is pretty low. Cheap as well. No honour.
Let's not attempt "slams" of Palladium here.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Josh Hilden wrote:The MDC levels are higher.
what MDC level?
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

its still humorous... they Dunebuggy transforms (from the comics).... but not the condor (which has a Guardian mode in the comics)....
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Drakenred®™©
Champion

the Condor was developed as a transformable jet fighter, but was for whatever reason put into series production as a non transformable battloid.

As for the Dune buggy I had seen line art someplace of it transformed but I thought that was just fan art. let me see if I can track that down.
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

冠双
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Drakenred®™© wrote:the Condor was developed as a transformable jet fighter, but was for whatever reason put into series production as a non transformable battloid.

Except for the fact that the Condors used in the Invasion comic series are SUPPOSED to be those we saw in Robotech, and the dialogue made it clear they transformed. They obviously were put into production, else they wouldn't have been used.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Drakenred®™© wrote:the Condor was developed as a transformable jet fighter, but was for whatever reason put into series production as a non transformable battloid.

As for the Dune buggy I had seen line art someplace of it transformed but I thought that was just fan art. let me see if I can track that down.

ok this is the comentary on the "transformable battle buggy" but im still looking for the actual line art back

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html
冠双
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Drakenred®™© wrote:ok this is the comentary on the "transformable battle buggy" but im still looking for the actual line art back

Tommy siad its called the Hurricane in one of the SSL podcasts.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Drakenred®™© wrote:ok this is the comentary on the "transformable battle buggy" but im still looking for the actual line art back

Tommy siad its called the Hurricane in one of the SSL podcasts.
makes sence

hmm
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Gah now im getting nothing but that Artmic Design Transformer Harrier for some idiotic reason
冠双
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Thank you for clearing the air Nelzie.

Some people who dislike Palladium, who for some reason still post here tend to blame Palladium and its staff for every "slight" or conspiracy that happens.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Thank you for clearing the air Nelzie.

Some people who dislike Palladium, who for some reason still post here tend to blame Palladium and its staff for every "slight" or conspiracy that happens.

So you are saying that you guys are not respnsible for the Straberry Jello salad with mashmallows not setting properly?????
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

to clarify

Alfa 4 versions
"grunt" version
Orricer version(bascialy better electironics)
Hot rod version9(faster burns fuel faster too!)

"Standard shadow version"

Beta
2 versions
Standard and shadow

the 2 "super muchkin super shadow alfa and Shadow-sincro beta" were not included, and they all blew up anyway

Cyclone

theirs 4 "Main" types and various subtype cyclones

VR-038-A Faster, no weapons but the three light sidearms
VR-038-L "Standard speed" but can mount the 6 shot rocket launcher)
VR-038-R Special reconisance suit replaces the 6 shot rocket launcher

VR-041-H "Chest missles" and saber
VR-041-M "Medic" no chest missles, thats where some of the medical suplies are stashed

VR-52-T the version usualy assigned as "self rescue" cycles to alfa-beta and other pilots. no chest missles
VR-52-F The one that can use any weapon system

VR-57 the 52F on roids with a rail gun.

oh the dune buggy is known as the Silverback and is way too modular for its own good. . .
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

The Silverback looks completly Forced into its "Battloid" mode... it looks like Someone basically took the Garlland... and kinda Ripped it open... and gave it Weird arms...
I'm Disapointed to see incressed MDC Levels across the board, while many weapons now deal simmilar or less damage to 1st edition versions of the same weapons.
The Invid seam to have got a HUGE steroid boost.
The Book is basically New Generation, with a little Haydonites tossed in.
I Like the Character entrys in the bacl of the book.
I dislike the Character Generation in the back of the book.
The Addition of a Supernatrual strenght Chart in the char gen section was kinda "???????".
I'm starting to diginto it now, but work is happening soon.
Over all its Average. but Better than Lancers Rockers.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Were any types of characters actually asigned SN strength or is it just a copy and paste addition?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Jefffar wrote:Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Were any types of characters actually asigned SN strength or is it just a copy and paste addition?

I havent looked that deep, But I cant think of anything in Robotech that would need it, beyond Edwards in his Invid-mutate form... but hes not in the book.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:The Silverback looks completly Forced into its "Battloid" mode... it looks like Someone basically took the Garlland... and kinda Ripped it open... and gave it Weird arms...
Well they more or less designated it as a transformer after the fact, no mater what it was going to look odd.
I'm Disapointed to see incressed MDC Levels across the board, while many weapons now deal simmilar or less damage to 1st edition versions of the same weapons.
Missles are now based on Coalition stats, so thoes got upgraded, Invid weapons were mostly upgraded
they needed it frankly
The Book is basically New Generation, with a little Haydonites tossed in.
I Like the Character entrys in the bacl of the book.
I dislike the Character Generation in the back of the book.
I like the mos style, allows more flexiblity without createind 100,000,001 new oocs
The Addition of a Supernatrual strenght Chart in the char gen section was kinda "???????".
I think they were originaly going to have the Zentradi in their
I'm starting to diginto it now, but work is happening soon.
Over all its Average. but Better than Lancers Rockers.

[/quote][quote]
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Drakenred®™© wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:The Silverback looks completly Forced into its "Battloid" mode... it looks like Someone basically took the Garlland... and kinda Ripped it open... and gave it Weird arms...
Well they more or less designated it as a transformer after the fact, no mater what it was going to look odd.

yeah, but Tommy's Excuse for the Condor no longer Transforming after saying it would... "it didnt look pretty"
Thou the incresed Missile Damage was something ive been using since i got CWC.
they needed it frankly

maybe, but Combat has gotten ALOT longer because of it...
I like the mos style, allows more flexiblity without createind 100,000,001 new oocs
I dont like it being in the back.... Its my RPG pet peeve... Character design first, stats later.... its weird to have the OCC's before the actualt chracter making process.
I think they were originaly going to have the Zentradi in their
I could easily see that then. but its wasted info in a already cramped book. the cover proce for the 2nd print run goes up, and that 1 page they could have left out, and maybe saved some money for the consumer.
Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

actualy given that the invid now have 2 missle boats combat tends to end when someone misses the piloting role to tilt dodge in my games as it is.
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Drakenred®™© wrote:actualy given that the invid now have 2 missle boats combat tends to end when someone misses the piloting role to tilt dodge in my games as it is.

the Overlord is a Great Addition.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

(shaked head) am I the only one who realises that the M-30 and the M-55 ARE THE SAME !@#$ WEAPON?
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Drakenred®™© wrote:(shaked head) am I the only one who realises that the M-30 and the M-55 ARE THE SAME !@#$ WEAPON?

your not the only one.... its been pointed out before.... and debated to death... and line art for it was shown... its the same... its also a Blaster... not a Ammo deiven weapon... HG drops the Ball again....
Drakenred®™©
Champion

whos complaining? I still give it a solid A
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

I'm not Complaing, I gave it the Highest Possible Honor, "Its better than Lancers Rockers".
:))
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

LOL, Lancer's Rockers was your favorite until this came out? :p

I like the idea of the Silverback filling the "beta" type role in a squad of Cyclones. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Unfortunately I'll have to run it for a while until I can convince someone to take the reigns (so I can hop in a Condor, or Beta...always loved th butt-ugly brutes on the battlefield).

Are there any special dogfighting rules included in the game? I was curious about that one.
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Bascialy no. sorry
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Jaguar Wong wrote:LOL, Lancer's Rockers was your favorite until this came out? :p

of corse not, it and Return of the Masters are Tied for dead-last.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

What apart from Telivsed Mecha Deathmatches (Which I found to be mind boggeling considering the setting and something that at best belonged in RIFTS,) and their being yet another robotech factory was so bad about ROTM?
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

the Falvor text where the Author says the Masters who had a Billion Mecha units, and 10 Million Ships, controlled 500 Systems, could not muster enough power to defeat the Invid who only controlled ONE planet....
and the idiotic mecha fights.. mecha-su-suck-dia and a 3rd Factory satalite....because the RPG mentioned 2 before that one....
Drakenred®™©
Champion

well more than 7 million of them were blown to scrap over earth as I recall.
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Drakenred®™© wrote:well more than 7 million of them were blown to scrap over earth as I recall.

This was before the Encounter with the Earth, by ROTM, the Invid beat down the master to the point they were on the run from them... the lose of the SDF-1 and the defeat of the Zents over earth was a nail in their coffin by that book... Which contradicts the Show, and the fact the Invid are an unknown force to the Zents.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”