Technical Observations

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oldnerd13

Technical Observations

Unread post by oldnerd13 »

Ok, I'm no expert on military aricraft. However, I figured that the natural progression of things would mean that in the future jet fighters would be faster. Add advanced alien technology and that shore up the fact even more.

Yet, the Alphas are slower than current jet fighters and the Haydonite (who are more advanced than the UEEF) have even slower mecha.

It's easy for me to just adjust these stats to reflect what I think they should be. I was jsut wondering what the reasoning behind the slower craft was.

Oh one more thing. Why is there an upper limit to the speed a craft can travel in space? Shouldn't they be able to accelerate until their fuel runs out?

These are just nit-picky type questions that should not be take seriously. I'm very rarely serious about RPG. They are games after all.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

this is because in part, you have people who dont realy pay mutch attention to the real world military creating the game, and in part, if your going mach 5 + all the time its too easy to get away from the other guys.

and when it comes to space combat, to be honest few people want to take the time to actualy try to figure out how fast their going and how fast they can stop going too fast.
冠双
oldnerd13

Fair enough.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Technical Observations

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

oldnerd13 wrote:Ok, I'm no expert on military aricraft. However, I figured that the natural progression of things would mean that in the future jet fighters would be faster. Add advanced alien technology and that shore up the fact even more.

Yet, the Alphas are slower than current jet fighters and the Haydonite (who are more advanced than the UEEF) have even slower mecha.

It's easy for me to just adjust these stats to reflect what I think they should be. I was jsut wondering what the reasoning behind the slower craft was.

Oh one more thing. Why is there an upper limit to the speed a craft can travel in space? Shouldn't they be able to accelerate until their fuel runs out?

These are just nit-picky type questions that should not be take seriously. I'm very rarely serious about RPG. They are games after all.

The alpha's Performance Profile dosent need an extream amopunt of speed on it own. Its designed to mate with the Beta. Techincally they should eb considred a single unit, rather then 2. you dont need a beta pilot to pilot a combo-unit.
The Alpha is a "Air Superiorty" unit. its great at taking out other flying fiends.
stack the beta to it, and its an Interceptor unit as well.
as for Haydonite equipment... the RPG kinda went out on its own there... the Haydonites keep up real well in space combat.... but "Mach" Speed isnt useful in space.
as for Space movements..... i'm sure the URRG has some Delta-V capacitys for the UEEF ships/mecha.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Its also a matter of priorities. There is no need for an ultra-fast fighter during the Invid Invasion era. During The Masters War, that was taken care of by the Sylphide Interceptor that could go MACH 4.10 at 20,000m, just being edged out by the YVF-4 which went MACH 4.18 at 30,000m. So what if the Alpha cannot go MACH 4+, the Sylphide (a near cousin) could. The post-Macross UEG decided against the 'One Size Fits All' approach in favour of a broadshot of multi-role fighters: Condors for ground attack, Alpha's for mutli-role Air Superiority, Sylphides for Interceptors and Logans for Lightweight Low-End Dogfighters. Later the Ajax is added for Air Cavalry for intra-atmospheric and Medium Fighter for Space.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Basicaly think of the Afla-Beta combo as filling the roll of the F/A-18F superhornet, the Alfa by itself as filling the role of the F-18-C/D and the Beta by itself filling the roll of the A-10.
冠双
oldnerd13

Like I said, I'm no expert. But I read a a lot and watch lots of Discovery type TV. And the one thing I always hear regarding fighter craft is "Speed is life" and one of the trends I see in the development of fighter craft is drastically increased speed for every new generation of fighter craft.

Whatever though. I'm not hum-bugging the stats. I can change 'em if I want or just leave 'em the way they are. I was just wondering if there was a specific reason for the slower speed that pertained to the story or something.
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Cav has it right on; they may not be faster, but I'm willing to call any given veritech much more maneuverable then conventional equivalents, with more staying power. Plus, "speed is life" has its limits, especially in a true rat race with hordes of aircraft everywhere, and few aircraft would ever dogfight at top speed.

As for top speed in space, there is one overriding limitation to how fast anything with a pilot can go: how many g's can the soft fleshy guy at the controls take? Ever seen the Macross Plus Movie Edition? Poor Guld....
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
oldnerd13

Sgt Anjay wrote: Plus, "speed is life" has its limits, especially in a true rat race with hordes of aircraft everywhere, and few aircraft would ever dogfight at top speed.

I figured that top speed was directly related to operational and combat speeds. If this is not true, the ok. I also under stand that an Alpha is way more nimble and can sustain max speed for much longer and that counts for quite a bit.

As for top speed in space, there is one overriding limitation to how fast anything with a pilot can go: how many g's can the soft fleshy guy at the controls take? Ever seen the Macross Plus Movie Edition? Poor Guld....

Generally when just accelerating you are moving in a straight line and G's won't affect. But if ya turned, sure, ya might get pasted. Given that, an Alpha pushing a max burn in space would run out of fuel in about a week but that should get it going right around Ludicrous Speed.
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Acceleration creates g's, so there's a maximum amount you can accelerate safely, which is going to limit that "straight-line" top speed. Meanwhile, top combat speed is a much more important number than a theoretical exploration of newtonian physics, especially in an RPG.

Also, I very much doubt an Alpha has a week's worth of reaction mass.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
oldnerd13

Well the book says that it has 16 Pcells and that 16Pcells would give it ab out 2 weeks of normal use and about half that with heavy use. Thats where I got the 1 week of fuel from.

And I'd never try and make Newtonian physics or euclidean geometry translated into physics ever take hold in an RPG. Thats just obnoxious. If ya notice, I said Ludricous Speed at the end of my last post.

we can just calk the whole discussion up to nonsense if ya ask me. Sound fair? :ok:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

oldnerd13 wrote:Well the book says that it has 16 Pcells and that 16Pcells would give it ab out 2 weeks of normal use and about half that with heavy use. Thats where I got the 1 week of fuel from.

No, protoculture provides electricity to the mecha from the nuclear powerplant. Thats not the same thing as reaction mass. You still need fuel to go from Point A to Point B in space (intra-atmospheric, that need is negated by the jet engine intakes which use air as reaction mass).
oldnerd13

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
oldnerd13 wrote:Well the book says that it has 16 Pcells and that 16Pcells would give it ab out 2 weeks of normal use and about half that with heavy use. Thats where I got the 1 week of fuel from.

No, protoculture provides electricity to the mecha from the nuclear powerplant. Thats not the same thing as reaction mass. You still need fuel to go from Point A to Point B in space (intra-atmospheric, that need is negated by the jet engine intakes which use air as reaction mass).

Ok, I'm quoting the book here..word for word.

Protoculture Fuel Capacity: Alphas (and Betas) use small Protoculture fuel cells about the size of a can of motor oil. Sixteen fully charged Protoculture cells give the mech an active combat life of about one month. Heavy activity and combat reduces the cell's fuel life by half. THe vehicles can function with half as many cells (8) fro about half the period, but the maximum speed and the ususal combat bonuses are reduced by half.

Power System: Sixteen Protoculture cells. Alphas and Betas are also equiped with s small backup fusion generator which is only good for flight and VTOL activity, and can only be used in jet mode for two hours. Use of the fusion generator prevents transformation and the speed of the mecha is reduced by two thirds.

Thats a pretty definitive shooting down of what ya said. They run on protoculture and only use a small amount of reaction mass as "backup" and even then they are hobbled by it.
tgunner91
Explorer

First remember we are talking about a sci-fi space opera!

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Hey guys, this is a space opera! Real world technology and physics may or may not apply here! If you want vectored thrust, delta-v, and all that in your space combat then you should go here:

Battlestar Galactica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNY7KSZ8wC4

Here is a space opera that pays attention to real world stuff to some degree. Did you catch the part where the vipers were strafing the innerds of that Cylon carrier? If so then you'll notice that most of our Robotech ships don't move anything like that!

Robotech ships in space fly like airplanes! They bank, roll, etc like traditional aircraft. We arn't exactly talking reality here...

Instead of grumbling about mecha performance, I'm grumbling about the (usual) lack of rules to govern aircombat and how to conduct it in Palladium's combat system. The Macross book had some stripped down rules that were servicable when you tacked in some home rules.

I don't think I ever used them the way Palladium intended, but then again, Palladium never really explained how to use them.
AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

Re: tgunner91

Unread post by AuroraKet »

Heeheehee.

Yeah, new Galactica is really good about that. :)

Which always amuses me, since the old one was one of the worst offenders for spaceships flying like airplanes.

There'd have to be some kind of thrust vectoring/RCS, for it even to fly as an airplane, tho, too :)

There's a /lot/ of good spots for new BSG though, the attack on the fuel depot (season 1) was really good as well.
Currently Playing:

Robotech: Rising Sun hosted by Chris
Robotech 2044: Tales of the Misfits Next Generation hosted by RyuDraconis
Robotech 2042: Getting the Goods hosted by silvermoon383

Will update when another is added. :)

Oh! And Support LibreOffice! Or OpenOffice. Don't be dominated by Microcrap greed!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

oldnerd13, RCSF is right.

there is a differance between Fuel and Reaction mass.
PC or that fusion generator (note:Generator.) provide power for the onboard systems. the engines are basically nuclear jets that use the PC reactor's waste heat to heat air in a jet turbine. air is the reaction mass.
in space, where there is no air, this set up would require the craft to carry it's own reaction mass. (essentually a NERVA drive)
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

Glitterboy please see see my last post on page 1.

tgunner, please see the post where I say "lets chalk this up to nonsense."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: First remember we are talking about a sci-fi space opera

tgunner91 wrote:Hey guys, this is a space opera! Real world technology and physics may or may not apply here! If you want vectored thrust, delta-v, and all that in your space combat then you should go here:

sigh...#47

read this
and pay attention to the following sections..

Limiting the damage
In some cases you have no choice but to violate a theory of physics. For instance, if you are going to have FTL travel, you are going to have to violate either relativity or causality; one of them has got to go.

The important point is to keep the fracture under control. Hack writers will assume that "if we have to break a few theories of physics for FTL, why not just throw all the theories out the window?" Don't give in. Omitting physics will degrade your novel to a pathetic lack of accuracy worse than an average Space Ghost cartoon.

"So What If I Broke Twelve Laws Of Physics? It's Only Science FICTION"
This silly opinion implies that the word "fiction" nullifies the word "science." Since it is "fiction", and fiction is by definition "not true", then we can make "not true" any and all science that gets in the way, right?

Hogwash. By the same logic, the term "detective fiction" gives the author license to totally ignore standard procedures and techniques used by detectives, the term "military fiction" allows the author to totally ignore military tactics and strategy, and the term "historical fiction" allows the author to totally ignore the relevant history.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

oldnerd13 wrote:Glitterboy please see see my last post on page 1.

except for the fact that, you know, the sections you quote don't back you up...

it specifies Generator. IE: a device which creates Electricity.
it does not say the craft does not need reaction mass. in fact, physics require reaction mass. reactionless drives don't work. and there isn't enough mass in P-cells for those to be reaction mass.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

Ok, it says that the fusion reaction is only used as backup. And even using the fusion reactor reduces the performance form using the protoculture engine.

Whatever dude. It's not based in reality. Besides, I'm not real happy with your condescending attitude. with all the "sigh...#47" and your "except for the fact that, you know, the sections you quote don't back you up..."
It's real jerky and off putting man. Please either drop the attitude when talking to tgunner and I or just don't.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Reaction mass

reaction mass is sperate from the energy used ot accellerate it.

the Protoculture reactor on the Alpha, or that fusion genrator, provide the energy. enough energy to operate for a month.

but that energy alone cannot propell the ship. it needs reaction mass to move. the energy created by the PC is used ot accellerate remass (short for reaction mass) to provide thrust. this can be air, water, jet fuel, and gas or liquid. but you need a large amount of it to match the kind of performance seen in the show, with hours of propulsion time in space. in an atmosphere you've got effectively unlimited remass, and thus can fly as long as you have power.

as for palladium ignoring the need, last i checked HG defined that it was needed. Episode #10 Blind game. Ben gets hit and starts loosing fluid from his plane, Lisa tells them to stay on patrol, rick tells her off and orders ben back to the ship. since we know veritechs are PC powered, what was he leaking? smuggled kool-aid?
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

Agreed. It's all science-FICTION. Real doesn't apply. I was just trying to make conversation. :-D
oldnerd13

glitterboy2098 wrote:Reaction mass

the Protoculture reactor on the Alpha, or that fusion genrator, provide the energy. enough energy to operate for a month.

but that energy alone cannot propell the ship. it needs reaction mass to move. the energy created by the PC is used ot accellerate remass (short for reaction mass) to provide thrust. this can be air, water, jet fuel, and gas or liquid. but you need a large amount of it to match the kind of performance seen in the show, with hours of propulsion time in space. in an atmosphere you've got effectively unlimited remass, and thus can fly as long as you have power.

Dude. I know what reaction mass is.
The book calls it a "protoculture fuel system". Like gas is fuel. It says that it can operate for x amount of time with x amount of Pcells. I am assuming that the Pcells ,being a fictional technology, provide all that is needed to move the craft.It says nothing about reaction mass. It's fiction and therefore doesn't really need an explanation.

I was just trying to make conversation.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

oldnerd13 wrote:Agreed. It's all science-FICTION. Real doesn't apply. I was just trying to make conversation. :-D

it's Science fiction"

just because it's fiction doesn't inavalidate the science. if you write military fiction your expected to understand and include military principles. if you write historical fiction your expected to understand and include history.

why do we assume otherwise for science fiction?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

oldnerd13 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Reaction mass

Dude. I know what reaction mass is.
The book calls it a "protoculture fuel system". Like gas is fuel. It says that it can operate for x amount of time with x amount of Pcells. I am assuming that the Pcells ,being a fictional technology, provide all that is needed to move the craft.It says nothing about reaction mass.

gas is a fuel. a car uses gas to provide energy to to the wheels, which push against the earth. the earth is remass.
gas in a plane turns a propellor that pushes air. the air is remass.
a jet uses gas to combust in the jet, heating the compresses air. the air is remass.
a conventional rocket expells it's remass, combusting it to provide the heat to get the remass moving. the remass doubles as fuel.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

CavScout wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:as for palladium ignoring the need, last i checked HG defined that it was needed. Episode #10 Blind game. Ben gets hit and starts loosing fluid from his plane, Lisa tells them to stay on patrol, rick tells her off and orders ben back to the ship. since we know veritechs are PC powered, what was he leaking? smuggled kool-aid?

In the Palladium system, there is not reaction mass system that I am aware of.

Palladium has "hand waved" space movement for their rules. Just the way they do things in their system.

since palladium has not specified that robotech uses any form of gravity drive or said traction drive, it is presumed to have reaction mass, just like all their other space settings. they just have no defined rules to handle it specifically.

and in any case, with robotech if palladium does not say one way or another, we go to the liscense holder, Harmony gold.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

Dude, you are way condescending. It's lame. Please stay out of my threads. I'm here for friendly debate and ribbing. Not a bunch of "I'm smarter than you" stuff.

The book says 16 Pcells will last for a few weeks. Thats that. Done.

You say we can't ignore the sci in sci-fi, then why do you assume we should ignore the FI?

Ya know what, forget it. I don't care.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

How's about this? Since we don't know exactly how PC works anywho? How about we say that it is both the energy and the reaction mass? This way, the science can hold true and still we have the fiction as well. :D

As for the "real world" physics, if you feel the need to have your Alphas "fly" like vipers, make them fly like vipers. However, the viper would be EXTREMELY unstable (read: completely unflyable) in an atmosphere, but they do it anyway. So, use the physics you want as long as it works for YOU!

I agree that the fiction shouldn't out-weigh the science, but the alternative is just as detrimental.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

The Show/Movie reguraly ignore any type of reactionmass problems.
in the Movie, the 2 guys scouting in the debrie fields in space are only in Alphas, and you never see a transport ship pick them up, you could assume they flew in from Lunar-base Aluce.... thats a Long and painful trip in the cockpit of a tiny alpha.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

As for the speed issue, I have Mach 1.55 isn't so bad really. The F-22 was developed in the late 80's early 90's, it cruises at Mach 2 and it doen't have the ability to transform. The old VF's could move at Mach 4!! That's faster than the 'official' speed for the SR-71!

So, I would say that the adoption of Robotechnology and the ability to transform, along with mission parameters have adjusted the need to continue advancing the speed of the vehicle beyond that limit.

During the first war, military R&D discovered that the standard Earth vehicle could outrun the average Zentraedi mecha by 100% again (according to the old RT:RPG).

During the development of the Alpha, while working with the Zentraedi to determine requirements for combat units to face the Master's, the speed was maintained at one that would be able to outrun any known threats.

The fact that the Alpha maintains a greater speed than the Invid would simply be dumb luck. The equal fact that the Invid never developed into faster types than the commander and overlord is a sign that the Regis isn't as smart as she thinks she is.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

mechanimorph wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:The Show/Movie reguraly ignore any type of reactionmass problems.
in the Movie, the 2 guys scouting in the debrie fields in space are only in Alphas, and you never see a transport ship pick them up, you could assume they flew in from Lunar-base Aluce.... thats a Long and painful trip in the cockpit of a tiny alpha.

Also in tSC the Alphas flip to Guardian and hide in the debris with their leg thrusters still on.... heh... they just hover instead of thumping into the ceiling.

Here's a fanwank for the techies.
[Fanw@nk]"The mysterious Protoculture power source actually accesses the NewSpace dimension and manifests dark matter from that source. The dark matter is used for reaction mass and also fusion for energy." [/fanw@nk]

Now prove me wrong ;-)

ROTFLMBOE!
Nope..not even on a bet.
I'll just nod & smile and make sure it hurts less that way.
Can't prove ya wrong cuz I alos can't prove ya right..so it's a good a theory as any other in ANY sci-fi genre ;)
Sorry..I hate having Sci get too much into my enjoyment of Fi...space opera RULES! :D
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
oldnerd13

mechanimorph wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:The Show/Movie reguraly ignore any type of reactionmass problems.

Also in tSC the Alphas flip to Guardian and hide in the debris with their leg thrusters still on.... heh... they just hover instead of thumping into the ceiling.

Here's a fanwank for the techies.
[Fanw@nk]"The mysterious Protoculture power source actually accesses the NewSpace dimension and manifests dark matter from that source. The dark matter is used for reaction mass and also fusion for energy." [/fanw@nk]

Now prove me wrong ;-)

Sold.
Wrap it up, cuz I'm takin' it home.

Oh and DhA, I don't like sci messing with my fi either. But they are two great tastes taht taste great together.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

unfortunatly.... Robotech:TsC shouldnt be classified as (jap)Anime(tion), since its made by an American company....
Drakenred®™©
Champion

for the most part in a planetary campain your not going to need to know the top speed anyway, since the GM gets to decide if your early, on time or late, unless your totaly anal about flight times in the real world

BTW the F-35-B STOVL aircraft (the C is the reinforced carrier variant) has a top speed of 1200mph and is the aircraft that is directly comarable to the Alpha. However the Alpha is a "True VTOL" aircraft and has a top speed of 1,281 to 2000.

The Legios combo is the one thats the direct comparison to the FA-22, (ok its more accuratly comparable to the FB-22 with the uggly bits of an A-10, an Apachi, and a VW bus hotwelded to it, but eh) and unlike the FA-22/FB-22 the Legios combo can achive excape velocity.
冠双
oldnerd13

I still think they should be faster. But thats just me. I'm not going to not play the game over it.

However, I do see your point about them being able to preform VTOL and make M2.4
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

Just another thought about old tech versus new tech:

F-14 Maximum speed: Mach 2.34 (1,544 mph, 2,485 km/h) at high altitude (copied from Wikipedia)

and its replacement:
F/A-18 Super Hornet: Maximum speed Mach 1.8+[10] (1,190 mph, 1,900 km/h) at 40,000 ft (12,190 m) (copied from Wikipedia)

I'm just trying to show that newer doesn't always mean faster.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Cactuscat wrote:Well, one thing to keep in mind is, as a general rule, a bigger jet is needed to go faster.

actually as a general rule, you need a more powerful jet engine to go faster. the size of the plane only determains how much faster.

in fact, the best way to improve speed is to reduce the mass of the plane while retaining or increasing the thrust of the engine.

so the alpha's relative size is less of an indicator than one might think. it's it's mass and thrust that determain speed. if the Alpha has the same thrust as a VF-1, but masses less, it will go faster. if it has less thrust, it will go slower. and so on.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

well we don't have the stats for the new RPG's VF-1 yet, so your right.

but we can use HG's robotech.com infopedia to get a look at the new HG canon stats...

Designation: VF-1J
Mecha Class: Veritech fighter, aerospace capable
Crew: 1 pilot
Weight: 13.3 metric tons (dry)

FIGHTER MODE
Length: 14.2 m
Height: 3.8 m
Wingspan: 8.3-14.8 m
Max speed at sea level: Mach 1.4
Max speed at 10,000m: Mach 2.71
Max speed at 30,000m: Mach 3.87

how does this compare?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Drakenred®™©
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:well we don't have the stats for the new RPG's VF-1 yet, so your right.

but we can use HG's robotech.com infopedia to get a look at the new HG canon stats...

Designation: VF-1J
Mecha Class: Veritech fighter, aerospace capable
Crew: 1 pilot
Weight: 13.3 metric tons (dry)

FIGHTER MODE
Length: 14.2 m
Height: 3.8 m
Wingspan: 8.3-14.8 m
Max speed at sea level: Mach 1.4
Max speed at 10,000m: Mach 2.71
Max speed at 30,000m: Mach 3.87

how does this compare?

FA-22 wrote:Performance
Maximum speed:

At altitude: Mach 2+[71][72] (1,325+ mph, 2,132+ km/h)
Supercruise: Mach 1.72 (1,140 mph, 1,825 km/h)[1][70] at altitude
Combat radius: 410 nmi[70] (471 mi, 759 km)
Ferry range: 2,000 mi (1,738 nmi, 3,219 km)
Service ceiling 65,000 ft (19,812 m)
Wing loading: 66 lb/ft² (322 kg/m²)
Thrust/weight: 1.26
Maximum g-load: -3.5/+9.5 g

F-14 D wrote:Performance
Maximum speed: Mach 2.34 (1,544 mph, 2,485 km/h) at high altitude
Combat radius: 500 nmi (575 mi, 926 km)
Ferry range: 1,600 nmi (1,840 mi, 2,960 km)
Rate of climb: >45,000 ft/min (229 m/s)
Wing loading: 113.4 lb/ft² (553.9 kg/m²)
Thrust/weight: 0.91
冠双
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i meant against the alpha.

what is the Alpha's mass and speeds at altitudes?

though one thing i dislike about the infopedia is a bit of flawed math they have regarding speeds. a plane's speed does not increase much as it gains altitude, it merely appears so because the speed of sound (mach) decreases.

so a plane that does mach 1 at sea level where mach 1 is ~800mph may be reading a higher mach# higher up, but would probably still be going around 800mph.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Drakenred®™©
Champion

well theire are some aircraft that were optimised to fly at higher alt. and actualy are faster the higher they fly.
冠双
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

so the alpha is heavier, and slower, but smaller physically. but it probably has better protection, and definately carries onboard better armaments.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

Again my question was not one of science. It's all make-believe. It was more a question of "did the writers / game designer just dial it in or not."

Honestly, comparing real life stuff to a sci-fi RPG is pointless. I know I used the f-14 in the original post, but that was more for chronological basis.

Robotechnology, protoculture, transforming jets and giant robots in general are not real and therefore can not be compared to real things.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

except that in this case we have been given statistics for the craft, and the real world planes we're comparing it too are supposed ot exist in the fictional world of robotech.

so a comparison of statistics is perfectly valid.
especially since such comparisons are how we figure out if the writers got close.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
oldnerd13

glitterboy2098 wrote:except that in this case we have been given statistics for the craft, and the real world planes we're comparing it too are supposed ot exist in the fictional world of robotech.

so a comparison of statistics is perfectly valid.
especially since such comparisons are how we figure out if the writers got close.

Lets just agree to disagree. :-D
oldnerd13

I stated tat I used the real aircraft for chronological reasons. I never used any actual mechanical or engineering specifications.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

play nice people!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
oldnerd13

What? Other than that Glitterboy2089 guy (and he was only being condescending, not "mean"), we are having a perfectly civil discussion. No mod/admin intervention needed here.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

oldnerd13 wrote:What? Other than that Glitterboy2089 guy (and he was only being condescending, not "mean"), we are having a perfectly civil discussion. No mod/admin intervention needed here.

singiling out, and slaming other individuals is out of line, and having an offensive signature text is also kinda out of line. but i cant report posts.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i was responding to the contents of the posts with the appropriate facts. i did not intend to slight anyone, and if i did by accident i am sorry.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”