My Merc Blog

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

My Merc Blog

Unread post by rat_bastard »

So I have a 3rd level Operator with a definite focus on robotics, and I'm playing a mercenaries game where I am the head tech in a merc company that heavily uses Power Armor.

We have 12 Red Hawks, 12 Sampsons and 8 Gladius* as our combat troops backed up my a Iron bolt missle vehicle, a electromagnetic howitzer, 3 Grey Falcons and 3 Dragonfly hover Gunships. This massive load of firepower is transported by 8 Hover-Mountaineers with extended cargo bays and 2 Skybunker Hover APCs.

Right now I'm thinking of ways to improve our Gladiuses, My Operator when in combat leads "Blue Squad" the Gladius squad.

The Merc Group's First Job was to kill a adult dragon who had been terrorizing four small towns in the Tennessee area, the problem was that they where offering barely the cost of our Merc Group's expenses for a week (100 grand!) as payment. So we decided to make sure we would find the dragon's lair and hopefully greater wealth (barring that the bone merchant in merc town would probably pay a couple hundred grand for a adult dragon corpse.). To find the dragon's Horde we purchased a MDC crossbow and 6 MDC tracking bolts for our groups gunfighter, then we left two Gladius suits at each town to watch the skies with their radar while the rest of the Merc group waited a the center point of the four towns. The dragon who was very predictable headed to the town I was watching over, so I radioed our people and used my armor's speakers to play a air raid siren, warning the villagers to seek dragon resistant shelter.

Our Merc group arrived at the town quickly and we started pelting the dragon with rail gun fire (20 rnd bursts, 3d6 MDC) instead of our full power while the Gunslinger (our commanding officer) expertly put tracking bolts in places on the dragon that would be difficult for the dragon to remove (between the wings, base of the tail, behind the head etc...). Eventually the dragon had had enough and teleported away. About 30 minutes later one of the Red Hawks found the tracking bolts in a cave.

During this first fight the dragon had closed in on one of the Sampsons and tore through it with its claws and teeth. The main body MDC had been shredded and if we had not made Bandito armor standard Uniform for power armor we would be short one pilot instead of just one suit. It brought up one of the fundamental flaws of power armor in rifts earth. Melee combat is highly undesirable with many of the supernatural denizens of rifts earth, while power armor is strong, supernatural creatures are stronger, and while power armor has many many MDC Supernatural creatures have an unfortunate habit of regenerating damage. So while Power armor is formidable it is at a distinct disadvantage to creatures that are physically stronger, have the ability to heal and in the case of the dragon have the ability to teleport miles away to lick their wounds.

So I need to find a way to make getting close to my units a bad idea for opponents. My first idea is to cannibalize the light emitters in a Wilk's Blinder grenade** and build them into suits of power armor so that the pilot can blind people who get to close to the front arc of my power armor suits. Suddenly blinding opponents seems to be a good way of giving my people time to back away from opponents who have the upper hand in melee. I think I can also make it so that a millisecond ahead of firing the light emitters the power armor broadcasts a encrypted warning to nearby suits so they can avoid being blinded by the laser flash.

Another idea is to install Chemical sprayers loaded with Olterak Mace Spray*** to deter Close combat happy Supernaturals. It has no effect on those with the foresight to wear full environmental armor but it is a very effective substance for disabling close combatants.

*The Gladius can be found in rifts mercenaries page 102, for all intents and Purposes we are considering it to be ground based power armor and using the stats of the Beach stormer (merc ops page 76) as a guide for MDC to other locations.
**Wilk's Blinder grenade can be found in New West page 209, and it is by far the most effective use of 200 credits I have ever found.
***Olterak Mace spray is found in Merc Ops page 108 and is almost as mean as the blinder grenade.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: My Merc Blog

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Overwhelming firepower at close range is the greatest deterant you could ever hope to have. At about 200,000cr per armour you could equip each pilot with an Ork SupaKustom MastaBlasta and lay out the devistating effects of a boomgun without the boomgun cost. Basically you fire-link about ten weapons on a stick (so to speak) that all happen to be pointing in the same direction. Depending on the guns (I usually go with a ring of cheap MD rifles, ranges about 2000ft and about 3d6 damage each. They weigh less than any of the NG railguns (so even the Gladius models could heft them at about 100Lbs of kick-less firepower). I'd also change the missile load of the SAMSON suits to a frag round; something heavily laced in silver or other stereo-type anti SN explosive. If you insist on using Railguns and such, then I can't help you.

Cool armour theme though; I'm a big fan of NG stuff myself.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

You have hit upon the big problem with even power armor against super natural creatures. Another possible way of dealing with those creature and negating it's teleport ability is to issue neural maces and other similiar weapons. This way the group has a better chance against something that powerful. Although I do like the blinder grenades. I'd use every advantage you can get against your enemies. That way you can put them at the disadvantage as quickly as you can in the game.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Right now we are going with uniform Railguns because of range. One of the great things about power armor is the ability to engage opponents nearly a mile away, and so we decided to start with railguns.

Our plan in the cave is to hit the dragon with a Wilk's blinder in the cave and then drop smoke gernades and then aim for the big warm spot using our thermal optics. Hopefully the closed nature of the cave along with its inability to see, hear or smell will take away any advantages it had in combat and allow our arms to prevail.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Dog_O_War
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:Right now we are going with uniform Railguns because of range. One of the great things about power armor is the ability to engage opponents nearly a mile away, and so we decided to start with railguns.

Our plan in the cave is to hit the dragon with a Wilk's blinder in the cave and then drop smoke gernades and then aim for the big warm spot using our thermal optics. Hopefully the closed nature of the cave along with its inability to see, hear or smell will take away any advantages it had in combat and allow our arms to prevail.

I'm not so sure about that; I'd read up on what SN creatures are immune to before you ventured forward. I know stuff like Alien intelligences and gods are immune to alot of this stuff (blindness, deafness, etc...), and I think some demons and powerful dragons (re: adult!) are too, or have to make a rediculously easy save versus them. As for engaging it in its cave; This doesn't seem all that wise either given the close quarters also limits your ability to get out of the way of any breath-weapons it might employ - that and it might have a secret escape tunnel.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Dog_O_War wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Right now we are going with uniform Railguns because of range. One of the great things about power armor is the ability to engage opponents nearly a mile away, and so we decided to start with railguns.

I'm not so sure about that; I'd read up on what SN creatures are immune to before you ventured forward. I know stuff like Alien intelligences and gods are immune to alot of this stuff (blindness, deafness, etc...), and I think some demons and powerful dragons (re: adult!) are too, or have to make a rediculously easy save versus them. As for engaging it in its cave; This doesn't seem all that wise either given the close quarters also limits your ability to get out of the way of any breath-weapons it might employ - that and it might have a secret escape tunnel.

Well in order to figure that out I'd need one of the merc group members with the right lore skills to explain that to me, Jack for all his considerable talent is somewhat ignorant in the field of supernatural menaces.
Dog_O_War
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:Well in order to figure that out I'd need one of the merc group members with the right lore skills to explain that to me, Jack for all his considerable talent is somewhat ignorant in the field of supernatural menaces.

Touche.

Or you could just say "I had a vision!" and lay out all the meta-pilfered info for the group, and then get the meta-slap from your GM.

Back to the "deterant" problem. Use shields. Cheaper than repacing the entire suit, an MD tower-shield would aleviate the costs of damaged armour, if only temporarily. Think of it as a mobile wall you can employ to take the hits for you. Or you could use a scatter tactic with the SAMSON's jet-assisted jumps and just flee any enemy that gets close. I believe that they allow a 100ft of distance travelled per boost.

And lightning just struck. Running fights. Most SN creatures do not move at 60mph, like your SAMSON suits do (and to a lesser extent 40mph for the Gladius), allowing a kite effect to take place. This won't help in the battle with a dragon all that much (given that it can teleport and that it can fly pretty fast), but given an open formation and orders to stay mobile against this enemy, it could be your best bet.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I'm not so sure about that; I'd read up on what SN creatures are immune to before you ventured forward. I know stuff like Alien intelligences and gods are immune to alot of this stuff (blindness, deafness, etc...), and I think some demons and powerful dragons (re: adult!) are too, or have to make a rediculously easy save versus them.

Epic role-play fail.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

If you had a few Glitter Boys the sonic boom would deafen the dragon and they can deal great damage. NGR have uranium rounds that halt regeneration until removed. some tracer arrows can help find him from source book 1.
Last edited by runebeo on Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

runebeo wrote:If you had a few Glitter Boys the sonic boom would deafen the dragon and they can deal great damage. NGR have uranium rounds that halt regeneration until removed. some tractor arrows can help find him from source book 1.

When fighting the dragon in the cave we are fairly sure that the boom of 23 rail guns reverberating inside a cavern will be sufficiently deafening.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Jason Richards wrote:
I'm not so sure about that; I'd read up on what SN creatures are immune to before you ventured forward. I know stuff like Alien intelligences and gods are immune to alot of this stuff (blindness, deafness, etc...), and I think some demons and powerful dragons (re: adult!) are too, or have to make a rediculously easy save versus them.

Epic role-play fail.

The fail occured when they produced a book with stats in them. Really, a person's memory cannot be helped and to say that knowing this aspect of the game and employing it in-game (as opposed to not) would be epic game-play fail. Really, I'd rather live knowingly than die ignorant.

At least that's what my standard response is when I get accused of meta-gaming.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Jason Richards

r_b, some things come to mind.

For one, I'm not a fan of the fire-linked mass of weapons concept. In addition to it sounding like it would be awkward to "wear," it would be very difficult to aim. Having the equivalent of a firearm on power armor, or actually carrying a firearm on the Gladius (my favorite armor, btw, though I think the bonuses it gives should be toned down), would help in close combat. That's why our modern soldiers carry handguns, after all. Neural weapons would also help in close combat.

Dispensing gas or other chemicals also seems like a reasonable defense. It's cheap and not cumbersome.

Remember also that when you're in hand-to-hand, your buddy probably is in weapons range.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Jason Richards

Dog_O_War wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:

Epic role-play fail.

The fail occured when they produced a book with stats in them. Really, a person's memory cannot be helped and to say that knowing this aspect of the game and employing it in-game (as opposed to not) would be epic game-play fail. Really, I'd rather live knowingly than die ignorant.

I never tell anyone how to game; play as you like. Just realize that what you are suggesting defeats the entire purpose of the game as written and the genre as it is intended. You're free to change that for your own use, of course, but I don't think you should expect any sort of widespread support for it here or amongst role-players in general.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

For the purposes of our game the bonuses provided by the Gladius are superseded by piloting bonuses. Simply put you only have the overall superior bonuses from piloting.

I love the gladius, and plan on building my section of our military around it.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Jason Richards wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:

Epic role-play fail.

I never tell anyone how to game; play as you like. Just realize that what you are suggesting defeats the entire purpose of the game as written and the genre as it is intended. You're free to change that for your own use, of course, but I don't think you should expect any sort of widespread support for it here or amongst role-players in general.

I wasn't expecting support, I just wanted you to think before you quote. I mean, we don't play these games to win (well, if you are playing to win then you might as well attempt to "score big" at that Coca~Cola labelled slot machine in front of your local Walmart), but we do play them to succeed. I don't like employing meta-knowledge myself, but this is a case where to do otherwise could result in game failure. Besides, sometimes you can't play contrary to meta-knowledge (like a GM who sets up a battle between you and a vampire in a garlic, crosses, and wooden stake store, or always emphasizes that something close by or that is a piece of personal equipment is silver-coated when fighting a werewolf).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Dog, Jason I respect you both but I don't want this thread turned into a "nature of role playing thread". Please move the discussion to a different thread.

I would prefer not to drift to far off the topic at hand.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

So I need to find a way to make getting close to my units a bad idea for opponents. My first idea is to cannibalize the light emitters in a Wilk's Blinder grenade** and build them into suits of power armor so that the pilot can blind people who get to close to the front arc of my power armor suits. Suddenly blinding opponents seems to be a good way of giving my people time to back away from opponents who have the upper hand in melee. I think I can also make it so that a millisecond ahead of firing the light emitters the power armor broadcasts a encrypted warning to nearby suits so they can avoid being blinded by the laser flash.

Another idea is to install Chemical sprayers loaded with Olterak Mace Spray*** to deter Close combat happy Supernaturals. It has no effect on those with the foresight to wear full environmental armor but it is a very effective substance for disabling close combatants.

*The Gladius can be found in rifts mercenaries page 102, for all intents and Purposes we are considering it to be ground based power armor and using the stats of the Beach stormer (merc ops page 76) as a guide for MDC to other locations.
**Wilk's Blinder grenade can be found in New West page 209, and it is by far the most effective use of 200 credits I have ever found.
***Olterak Mace spray is found in Merc Ops page 108 and is almost as mean as the blinder grenade.

1. Blinder Grenades
It’s a good idea, and I don’t see much of a realistic technical problem with it (other than the fact that you’d need quite a few grenades per suit of armor).
I don’t have my books, so I don’t know offhand whether or not it’s officially addressed how that sort of blinding attack affects people in polarzed visore (not that this matters with most supernatural creatures, but against anybody in EBA it would be a significant factor.
I don’t know that I’d actually allow this though, because if it can be done with Blinder Grenades, it could reasonably be done with Laser Beehive Grenades, and I’d have to seriously think about the implications of that.

Hm.
Also, are blinder grenades one-shot items?
Because if so, then they’d still be one-shot items when built into armor.

2. The Chemical spray is also a good idea, although Supernatural creatures typically have pretty high Physical Endurance. Also, it’s unclear what SDC poisons (if any) affect MDC creatures, and to what extent, and whether or not chemical spray falls into this category.
(This might be addressed in the description, in which case nevermind. As I said, I’m away from my books.)

3. IF you’re playing under the ruling that Supernatural PS Punch damage is added to MD melee weapons, then it’s only logical to apply this to bots/power armor/etc. as well.

4. As mentioned, Shields are a good idea.

5. You might look into the feasibility of making a kind of vibro-spike protection system for the armor. IIRC, there is some Juicer armor with this capability, and it might be able to be put into power armor.

6. Remember to parry in melee combat. Failing that, remember that supernatural punches and/or kicks can be Rolled with (though not claws or teeth).

7. Good idea with the tracer crossbow bolts, just keep in mind that bio-regeneration will push the bolts out of the body in relatively short order.

8. I forget what the final verdict was (if any) on Neural Maces vs. MDC Creatures, but if you rule that they work, they’re a grea tool. If not, there’s Zapper Guns and other weapons that can help reduce the enemy’s combat abilities.

9. Try to have your pilots pick up WP Paired Weapons.

10. Before combat, spray down your armor with poison/chemicals/feces/whatever.
It might dissuade bite attacks.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

The kiting effect is a good idea. You might also want to find something that's short range but really mean so they try and avoid the short range connections. Fusion blocks are a fine example. Cram one of those in the ear of an adult dragon and it'll give him a headache he won't forget...and it only has a 10' range IIRC. If you could get some of that South American armor that catches on fire, it might be nice as well. I mean, who wants to hold an ember, yaknow?

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The problem I have with issuing shields is that:
1: they require a separate skill to use, meaning each pilot needs months of extra training
2: they require an parry role to be effective.
3: they take up a hand needed for a Hvy Energy weapon

In my opinion they cause more issues than they solve.
Jason Richards

rat_bastard wrote:The problem I have with issuing shields is that:
1: they require a separate skill to use, meaning each pilot needs months of extra training

An advantage to shields is portable cover, making the "to hit" numbers for opponents higher. That's more useful against opponents with ranged weapons, though.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Jason Richards wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:The problem I have with issuing shields is that:

An advantage to shields is portable cover, making the "to hit" numbers for opponents higher. That's more useful against opponents with ranged weapons, though.

Exactly.

If the shield is held between the your main body and the opponent (and is large enough), the opponent might need to make a Called Shot. Which means two attacks in ranged combat, and at least a higher strike requirement in melee.

Whether this works, and how well, is up to the GM, but I don't see any logical way around it.
Though I might impose some kind strike penalty for any shield-using character without WP Shield.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

First off, there are some very sweet ideas out there...

This is what I would do:
Tower shields are a really good idea.

Also, firing on the creature from two directions (but not 180 degrees!) or more...

Smoke rounds (high concentration)

Chemical rounds (VX, sarin, mustard gas, whatever you can get...)

Explosive initiated ambushes (from a mile away)

LARGE amounts of heavy damage ordnance arriving at the same time, AKA artillery barrage...

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88680

Minefields and other defensive works (at least for the stuff I posted…otherwise they are worthless).
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89425
Of course, if you are making use of defensive works, you have to have something that will make those nice foxholes like cratering charges.

Trip flares, fougasse, etc.

The problem with a lot of those methods of keeping people away from you, is the classic problem of defense…it takes time!

For a hasty defense or a movement to contact, you are pretty much limited to using fire and maneuver…so try and split your forces into pairs of mutually supporting units that can constantly be pouring fire on the enemy during the entire engagement.

Not having my books handy to check for common sense, you might want your Operator mod up some stun maces (pull the electrodes and power packs) and have them replace the warhead in some of your short range missiles. With that you might be able to make some “stun missiles” that discharge their entire electrical capacity at once…

Best of luck and I hope you smoke that dragon like a pack of Kools.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Slammer missiles 2D4x10 M.D. plus 90 foot area takes 1D4x10 M.D. (6000 ft) with chance of a knockdown of 88% (loss of one attack) and 65% chance of being stunned (last on initiative and -10 on combat rolls and loss of half of his attacks for 1D4 rounds. Triax X-2000 Dyna-Max has theses awesome missiles then can really help, plus uranium rounds in side rail guns. The Germans know how to do overkill.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Unfortunately secret German tech is a bit beyond my means at this time.

I am thinking about adding a big bore rail gun as an under barrel weapon, that has the ability to keep things knocked down...
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Hm.

Just looked it up. Both Beehives and Blinders are rechargeable. As for the eye protection, you have to have something that is always on, as the blinders happen to fast for any self-adjusting goggles.

I think gutting the grenades and installing a blinder node onto the armor would be a great idea (and I imagine fairly easy). As for the implications this has for the beehive grenades, I have two words: Death Blossom
Aramanthus
Monk

I like the idea of that someone suggested using add on vibro blades for each of the power armors. Now there is something your character can do to modify the power armors in that way. I also think you should think about keeping your forces on a mobile offensive stance against the Dragon. A big bore rail gun might be able to help out. Coordinated fire never hurts either.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

If they get too close to you, you could use something like a claymore to get them off of you or perhaps a metalstorm derivative http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hlj4EbdsE built into a sheild. That version is pretty lame (SDC wise, and thier el awesomo targets of cardboard or whatever is simply stooopid), but you could mod the tech into shooting useful at 1,000,000 RPM (say 20mm DU or silver rounds or whatever floats your Mega Damage boat...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Killer Cyborg
Priest

sennin wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Hm.

Just looked it up. Both Beehives and Blinders are rechargeable.

Hm.
There might be a recharge time between uses even if built into power armor, but maybe not.

As for the eye protection, you have to have something that is always on, as the blinders happen to fast for any self-adjusting goggles.

Any self-adjusting goggles using modern technology, yes.
What exactly "polarized visor" means in Rifts has always been unclear (except that it's most likely NOT what we currently think of).

I think gutting the grenades and installing a blinder node onto the armor would be a great idea (and I imagine fairly easy). As for the implications this has for the beehive grenades, I have two words: Death Blossom

lol
:ok:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

wolfe wrote:
What exactly "polarized visor" means in Rifts has always been unclear (except that it's most likely NOT what we currently think of).

Since it's lasers unless your using welding goggles as "polarized goggles" your going to be blinded.

Somehow, I think you completely missed what I was saying.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

wolfe wrote:Nope, you missed the concept of "polarized" systems with such a weapon system mounted on armor.

Only if by "missed," you mean "addressed."

Aramanthus
Monk

Hey Rat_Bastard how are we doing? Are any of our suggestions helping you out? I hope so!

That is a great suggestion, Wolfe. Although from what R_B has described in their first encounter they don't know. Their group is learning about the various creatures as they encounter them. Therefore he is trying not to metagame, which is very cool!

HH....FIE
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

You mention that the Gladius for your game is considered a ground based power armor....is it still battery powered though? If you are adding a bunch of gadgets onto that suit in particular you may end up draining it at a faster rate, leaving you a easy target.

Ultimately the best way to keep people from getting to you is good tactics and accurate fire.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Any self-adjusting goggles using modern technology, yes.

Actually, under the description of the grenade, it states that auto adjusting goggles or vision is not sufficient for protection. I think it's safe to assume that it is referring to Rifts technology.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

wolfe wrote:
am thinking about adding a big bore rail gun as an under barrel weapon, that has the ability to keep things knocked down...

That big bore knock down only affect human sized targets, you shouldn't be knocking down an adult dragon in normal form with that.

Correct but it gives us more option in battle and I like that.

One small yet seriously vital piece of intel is missing here (you military folks should be ashamed :thwak: )

Just what kind of adult Dragon are you up against?
Your characters know at least that much right.. :lol:

Our Esteemed second in command (another player character) chose not to trouble us with the finer points of breed, instead he gave us a rundown on the basic abilities of dragons. We know it casts spells, breaths fire and teleports and is strong and mean. [/quote]

Your biggest problem will be doing enough damage in a short amount of time as possible before he teleports away.

23 rail guns, 2 energy cannons, 100s of mini missiles, we where playing with kid gloves before because we wanted it to teleport home so we could loot its home. In this second round we are playing for real :P .

The big hit would be primarily planned at the mouth of the lair to take full advantage of all your assets (which is primarily the sheer volume of missiles you could unleash) firing at the same time.
That howitzer isn't going to be doing a heck of awhole lot there, but it's few rounds might make a difference and once that dragon gets in close quarters tube and missile artillery becomes about useless.

The artillery only helps if the dragon ports out of his cave again, we could have killed him with the iron bolt if we wanted to, but we held back cause we wanted money.

Hm.
There might be a recharge time between uses even if built into power armor, but maybe not.

I'd leave that as something that would depend on how well he implemented the idea and how his rolls turned out.

Since it's lasers unless your using welding goggles as "polarized goggles" your going to be blinded.
Unless your using Thermals (NOT infra-red) at that moment then your optics aren't going to "whiteout" or cause more then little white spots on the visors/HUD/whatever your viewing it through, a simple quick switch to another system right afterwards and you'd be fine.
Personally have had that done, laser targeting systems painting us while we were in thermal resulted in nothing but an annoying white dot :lol:

The wilk's blinders are one of the most amazing cheap shots in new west, damn near everything is blinded by them, I can think of only two creatures not effected and gods greater demons and alien intelligences are not on that list.
Last edited by rat_bastard on Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

sennin wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Any self-adjusting goggles using modern technology, yes.

Actually, under the description of the grenade, it states that auto adjusting goggles or vision is not sufficient for protection. I think it's safe to assume that it is referring to Rifts technology.

And I agree, so that answers that question. :ok:

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Merc Group Name: The Platinum Shield
Size: Minor Company (40 combat roops, 40+ support)
A. Sponsorship: 2. Secret, the Platinum shield was created by the Dweomer Defense forces to act as a covert source of aid to Dweomer's allies and a source of intel.
B. Outfits: 3 Open wardrobe, Power armor pilots get Bandito, pilots get urban warrior and mages get light mage armor.
C. Equipment: 3*(Electronic supplies and good gear) and 5 (Medical Clinic)
D. Vehicles: 5, Specialty Vehicles**
E. Weapons, Power armor and bots: 4, Advanced Weaponry
F. Communications:4, Full range system.
G. Internal Security: 2, Lax.
H. Permanent Bases: 4, Fortified Headquarters
I. Intelligence resources: 1, None
J. Special Budget: None
K. General Alignment: 5, Unprincipled and Scrupulous
L. Criminal Activity: none
M. Reputation/Credentials: 3. Unknown
N. Salary: 4. Good salary

* Standard Issue Equipment is as follows:
Wilk's Integrated optics Gun-Sight (Merc ops 104), Wilk's “Aimer” Gun-Sight (Merc Ops 104), Wilk's Laser Flashlight (Merc Ops 107), Olterak Mace Spray (Merc Ops 108), Pilot's Survival Kit (Merc Ops 110), 7 self heating MREs (Merc Ops 116), 20 meal bars (Merc Ops 116), Hard dome Shelter (two man) (Merc Ops 116), Moisture condenser (Merc Ops 117), Weapon Cleaning Kit (Merc Ops 118), Weapon repair Kit (Merc Ops 118), Protein Healing Salve (Merc Ops 118), Simple ID Implant (Bionics Source book 36), Bio-Comp Monitor (GM's Guide 184), Refillable Lighter 25 credits, Lighter Fluid 6 credits, Ruggedised Wilk's PDA, NG-survival pack, SPU-5 Sonic pulsar unit, Light adjusting sunglasses, Dosimeter, Computer Reference Libraries: General repair and maintenance, Lore: D-bee, Lore: Demons & Monsters, Lore: Faeries and creatures of magic, Lore: Juicers, Lore: Magic, Lore: Psychics and Psionics, Identify Plants and fruit., 5 Road flares, two rolls duct tape, Bedroll
** Vehicles in our pool include: 12 suits Red Hawk Power armor, 12 suits Sampson Power armor, 8 suits of Gladius Power armor, 2 Skybunkers, 3 Grey Falcons, 3 Dragonflys, 1 Iron bolt Missile Vehicle, 1 Electromagnetic Howitzer, 8 Hover Mountaineers with extended Cargo Holds
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Player Characters include:
Me, playing as Jack McGinnly, 3rd level human Operator, cheif of tech and commanding officer of "Blue Squad" (the 8 Gladius suits)
Caligo, Human looking supernatural Gunfighter, commanding officer and former Dweomer intelligence agent.
Zombra, Asgardian Elf Techno Wizard, Head of "Red Squad" (Red Hawks)
"Mother" Fennodi Rogue Scholar, head of communications and computer systems.
"???" According to his file he's a Ley line walker (Lord Magus), Second in command.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Okay, here is my idea based on a combination of things discussed in this thread:

The Super Close Quarters Fighting Shield of Death (working title)

To make this shield, you need 1 Wilks Blinder Grenade, 2 Wilks Beehive grenades, a piece of MDC semi-opaque polarized material, MDC plates/scraps, and a skilled operator.

Construction Steps:

1. Build the shield with a small window made out of the semi-opaque material.

2. Half the Blinder and place both halves and the powersource below the window on the shield.

3. Remove the emitters of the Beehives and create a large matrix of them on the face of the shield (all pointing in one direction). Make sure the matrix is hooked up to the power supply from the 2 grenades.

4. Rig the power supplies so they are chargable from a single power port.

To Use:

1. Hold the shield in front of you, making sure to look through the window

2. Set off the Blinders on the shield

3. When the target is blinded, fire off the emitter matrix in one volley

4. Look upon the smoldering remains of your opponent
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

I'm not sold on the shield idea,

basically my problem is my soldiers are not mutants and thus do not have three arms, so while they are using two of their arms to hold their rail guns, they do not have a third arm to hold a shield.

I have considered exposing them to radiation to induce mutation so that they might grow a third arm, but I am told that with my merc groups general alignment I cannot deliberately mutate my soldiers (excuse me I gotta update my list of things rat bastard is not allowed to do).

there their is the problem of Shields take extra skills, if I'm gonna teach them something I have a long list of things that are going to be more useful.

Finally Shields don't grant cover, they provide a damage soak in the event of a successful parry, you have to have it on your arm and then use a parry action, while a man in power armor has a decent parry (+2) it does not help much in most cases.

not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I really believe that most people are barking up the wrong tree with shields.
Dog_O_War
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:I'm not sold on the shield idea,

That's because all other sales pitches were inferior to the one I'm about to subject you to! (and yes I did mean to use that many "to"s)

rat_bastard wrote:basically my problem is my soldiers are not mutants and thus do not have three arms, so while they are using two of their arms to hold their rail guns, they do not have a third arm to hold a shield.

The Gladius Units are not shield-bearers. They are best off using the grenades around the larger SAMSON units; working as a team; Fatman and littleboy. The SAMSON units have both railguns and mini-missile launchers built in, making these effectively one-handed weapons. Placing a large shield on the missile arm (obviously not blocking the firing port) is a simple and quick fix that could be done in a couple of hours.

Another great thing about this is that the SAMSON units can utilize more powerful close-range weaponry in the hand the railgun is attached to.
There are two methods for this; quirky & wasteful, and precise and uncostly.

The first method involves modifying 4 AP mini-missiles to remove their engines and have only the pressure-sensitive nose active (none of this "minimum range required" crap happening), attached to a pole about 6 feet long to be used as a one-shot hammer-o-death (at 8d4x10 MD you average about 200 per hit). I know I wouldn't wanna fight THAT guy. Unfortunately this runs about 12,000cr (assuming 3000cr per missile), but you do get to keep their engines.

The second method involves rigging up some NG-45 LP's as a double-gun; that's 1d6x10 close-range deterant. Unfortunately as uncostly as it is in the end-game, you'd have to have these guns available already as I doubt NG makes rush over-night deliveries into dragon infested territory at a price that could be considered reasonable. Otherwise I'd go with arming them with the biggest vibro-weaponry available.

rat_bastard wrote:there their is the problem of Shields take extra skills, if I'm gonna teach them something I have a long list of things that are going to be more useful.

Wrong! shield only takes "extra skills" if you intended to actually be parrying crap with them! The great thing with a shield is that you can designate it as "cover", and that it is taking damage because it is not dodging, and you are not parrying with it.

rat_bastard wrote:Finally Shields don't grant cover, they provide a damage soak in the event of a successful parry, you have to have it on your arm and then use a parry action, while a man in power armor has a decent parry (+2) it does not help much in most cases.

This is where the "quotation marks" come in. Yes, a shield doesn't grant cover. But a shield-like 6'x4' foot wall welded to the arms of a SAMSON does.

rat_bastard wrote:not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I really believe that most people are barking up the wrong tree with shields.

~woof. I think this is the right tree.
Last edited by Dog_O_War on Fri May 30, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

I agree that if you are toting around railguns, the shield will not be a viable option. But if you are fighting a dragon in its cave, then long ranged weapons will not be your best option. Arm yourself for the situation. In one hand have the shield, in the other hand have one of those stun spears from Lonestar (or a homemade version of one). You are now set up for taking down the dragon. Disable it, then take it down at your leisure. I have learned a thing or two about shields in the years I have done medieval recreation. The standard procedure for formation fighting is all the new, unskilled people get stuck on the shield wall. As mentioned earlier, if you have a large enough shield (at least the equivalent of a Roman scutum), you don't block with it, you hide behind it.

My idea previously was not primarily to use the shield as a defensive weapon, but to use it as a platform for a devastating close range weapon as well as a means to protect yourself from the blinding effect of the grenades. It also does not require permanent modification of the suits, they are fully self-contained and reusable.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

sennin wrote:I agree that if you are toting around railguns, the shield will not be a viable option. But if you are fighting a dragon in its cave, then long ranged weapons will not be your best option. Arm yourself for the situation. In one hand have the shield, in the other hand have one of those stun spears from Lonestar (or a homemade version of one). You are now set up for taking down the dragon. Disable it, then take it down at your leisure. I have learned a thing or two about shields in the years I have done medieval recreation. The standard procedure for formation fighting is all the new, unskilled people get stuck on the shield wall. As mentioned earlier, if you have a large enough shield (at least the equivalent of a Roman scutum), you don't block with it, you hide behind it.

My idea previously was not primarily to use the shield as a defensive weapon, but to use it as a platform for a devastating close range weapon as well as a means to protect yourself from the blinding effect of the grenades. It also does not require permanent modification of the suits, they are fully self-contained and reusable.

we drove off the dragon, then we found its lair a half hour later, next session we are at the mouth of its lair, we have had time to reload and thats it.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

If we kill the dragon without finding its horde its worth at least .5 million on top of what we are being paid (necromancers etc.). Still, I want a nice cushion of money because one of the jobs we have been offered is a escort Scientists from new lazlo into the southwest deal, but they are paying too low but I would love to be on the new lazlo preferred body guard list.

Unfortunately this job has allready cost us 350,000 credits and put one Sampson out of commission. The dragon was hit with multiple crits (including one from a tracker) and by our house rules it takes days to totally regenerate a crit so its not going to be happy in its cave where it fled, unfortunately I believe it had a ley line handy to soak up PPE in between fights.

Meta Gaming Moment
still in the first fight we had 27 people doing roughly 3d6 mega damage (say 10) about 4 times a round.
or roughly 1080 mega damage a round
two rounds drove off the dragon...
next fight we will have 11 people doing roughly 40 mega damage 4 times around and
13 people doing roughly 30 mega damage 4 times a round
for roughly 3320 mega damage a combat round.

just sayin.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Having some well placed regular humans with sniping rifles sitting an waiting for some one to approach your P.A.'s would be a good way as is your blinding tactic .. working those two in conjunction with each other an you have a VERY good deterrent to the whole dont want them up close to my P.A.'s

For ground based infantry that want to get up close to your PA's its super easy to simply lay down some wire mesh rolles in front of the PA's an charge them with Electricity .. depending upon how far out you want to hold them at bay is how much mesh you will need .

Just my two cp's .. tho
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

snipers are gonna be useless because he's in a fortified cave.

Our mages are going to magik up some cover and we are going to try to ruin his senses while killing him as fast as possible.

So far for power armor mods I'm thinking blinders on each suit, electrified skin on the Sampsons and chem sprays on at least the officer's suits. I want modular forearm and shoulder mountings and jump-packs on blue squad so I can quickly switch out mission specific payloads but right not I am more focused on the the immediate threat.
Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds like you've got this dragon in hand. I'm looking forward to seeing how it actually plays out. Please post the final conflict with the dragon. Nice merc unit, I read thru it's description.

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

I am especially proud of what I did with 25,000 credits of "Misc Equipment".
Aramanthus
Monk

Very efficent use of credits. Any further news?

HH....FIE
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ok, so the dragon's cave network was guarded by a blinding flash ward, a river of lava and a Golem. All things that would keep lesser men out, but we ran roughshod over the dragon's security systems with ease. We sent our commander who is a supernatural human empowered by shadows and our "Ley Line Walker" (Lord Magus) to scout ahead, they quickly identified the threats and neutralized each (the river of lava with a resistance to fire spell, the blinding flash by closing their eyes and the Golem with particle beams. Then they radioed for the rest of us.

The 20 foot wide river of lava (really a stream of lava, a creek of lava, none of this silly river business) is no big deal for flying and hopping power armors like the Sampson and the Red hawk, but my Gladius has no inherent jumping ability...
So a Sampson threw me across the River.
I can't make things like that up... turns out a Sampson can throw me in my power armor 45 feet, promise you won't tell the elf...

anyway, Caligo being the tactful military man he is decided not to let the dragon monologue until us power armor troops arrived and the fight started early. Two agonizing rounds went by with me on the sidelines while the mage and the Gunfighter blinded the dragon and peppered him with energy blasts. Finally I made it into the dragon's chamber with the much heavier suits behind me. In two rounds we unloaded comical amounts of metal slugs into the dragon until it ported out of the cave into the open air, into the domain of our Iron Bolt Missile Vehicle.

Piff went the dragon in a salvo of high explosive warheads that cost more than we where paid to kill the dragon in the first place.

A search of his lair reviled hostages the dragon had taken, including apparently European Royalty. A little later we found its horde, including an impressive amount of texts, precious gems and metals and two unidentified magic items.

In the end we have two Sampsons nearly destroyed (I'm gonna be patching them up for weeks), one pilot dead, 4 AP mini Missles, 12 HE long range missiles and some minor damage to most other suits of power armor.
Jason Richards

so are you gonna make a profit on the deal?

Return to “Rifts®”