GM vs Player run Games

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: GM vs Player run Games

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

This is such a great idea, one myself and a couple of friends have talked about in the past. Unfortunately for my group we often find ourselves too busy to impliment it. Also, I have tendancies towards party control and equipment-police problems, meanwhile my friend often finds himself at odds with how other GMs would run his NPCs and often wants to take over. He'll deny that he's like that, but he is totally like that. Meanwhile our other buddy would just throw us randoms at us with no real plot (as he is not very versed on the setting; at least the aspects the game would likely take place in anyways).

But that was years ago. Maybe I'll propose this idea to the group again...
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
kirksmithicus
Explorer
Comment: Random Encounter #55

Unread post by kirksmithicus »

I think this is an awesome idea. I would have the first game session to sort out the rules though. Determine the setting, and the main thrust of the campaign as well as some major NPC's and institutions. Second I would lay some ground rules, like which major NPC should not be killed off, or a GM cannot kill another GM's NPC's, and house rules etc. I would also have each player have three characters. This would be because that is you are in the middle of a game and then someone cannot make a session, you could just switch over to secondary characters for a one shot adventure or something. Secondly, you would have a pool of characters to choose from so that the main adventure need not always be about the same characters. If the wizard needs to spend a month studying, who wants to wait around for that dude anyway. I think this has a lot of potential and a lot of pitfalls, but the key would be planning, cooperation and consistency.

Multiple GM's and characters could make a game very dynamic and less likely to go extinct, as often happens.
"Wealth is hard to come by, but poverty is always at hand"
    -- Proverb from Ki-en-gir (Sumer), c. 2000 BCE

Prometheus Project
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

You know this sounds like a good idea but I am wondering if its one of those looks good on paper but not in reality. Sort of like sex in the shower.

Seems like it would be a better idea to have a rotating GM during each session. So if 4 players have a game each player GMs his own game that night. That way the GMs don't get burnt out, and everyone tells their type of story.

I mean if i put some work into creating some backstories for characters and have ideas and some other GM takes over them I suppose it could work but iI just think they would do things that were not to my liking. I suppose how much went into the creative process though. If its a slash and slam type of game it would probably be ok. If there was some kind of storyline I don't think it would work well.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Seems sound.

Here...let's try it out on this hamster.

EVERYONE PUT ON YOUR PLASTIC BAGS!!! This could get messy...

8-)
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

macksting wrote:
GA wrote:Sort of like sex in the shower.

Actually... believe it or not, the challenge can make this a lot of fun. Also, sometimes it's the only privacy you can get.

Refrians from saying anything other than agreed

Return to “G.M.s Forum”