No Hand To Hand

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

No Hand To Hand

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I'm rolling up an NPC that I'm going to be incorporating into my game shortly. It's a techno wizard with no hand to hand, PP of 6 and a PE of 7.

Now my issue is with the whole hand to hand description. It says 1 attack, and two other actions that cannot be combat related. Now the character is proficient with energy rifles and I'm wondering, if they want to do a called shot, or an aimed shot, does that aiming count as a combat related action? So will it take 15 seconds just to aim and shoot? Or can the actions be used?

Also, this means that they can only parry once correct? As parrying is considered a combat related action.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: No Hand To Hand

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Yes. You have to take two full rounds just to make an aimed shot.

For the love of your fellow players (and so you don't feel left out when combat does inevitably commence) take basic at the very least.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Why? I want to make a character with some "character". Someone who can't fight, and doesn't like to. I'm not giving them Basic when it makes no sense.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
75 GM Geek Points
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Well he is Dog_O_War; you were expecting someone else?

:P
SkyeFyre
Hero

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
SkyeFyre wrote:Why? I want to make a character with some "character". Someone who can't fight, and doesn't like to. I'm not giving them Basic when it makes no sense.

Then why are you worried about combat actions?

Worried and seeking clarification are two different things.
75 GM Geek Points
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dog_O_War wrote:Yes. You have to take two full rounds just to make an aimed shot.

I agree.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from Catalonia

Unread post by mobuttu »

SkyeFyre wrote:Also, this means that they can only parry once correct? As parrying is considered a combat related action.

Isn't parry automatic?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
SkyeFyre
Hero

mobuttu wrote:
SkyeFyre wrote:Also, this means that they can only parry once correct? As parrying is considered a combat related action.

Isn't parry automatic?

Only for those with a hand to hand skill.
75 GM Geek Points
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

SkyeFyre wrote:Why? I want to make a character with some "character". Someone who can't fight, and doesn't like to. I'm not giving them Basic when it makes no sense.

There are two types of "characters" when a fight breaks out; those that get shot, and those that do the shooting. If said NPC doesn't fall into either category, he's little more than wallpaper. Basically if he's making one attack per round, then use that attack to have him go hide.
If he really doesn't like combat, then he won't participate. If he (you) feels he should participate, then give him something to participate with.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
SkyeFyre
Hero

They generally will hide, however I was simply asking for IN THE CASE they ended up having to fight. I want the character to be more of a skill aide, assistant to the other players in the group, rather than a fighter. I'm just wondering in the case that they do get into a fight. Sometimes you can't avoid it.
75 GM Geek Points
SkyeFyre
Hero

Yeah, that's what I was going for. Basically I was just looking for clarification on that rule. Thanks folks.
75 GM Geek Points
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

My feeling is the guy is a one shot per round guy. Anybody can attempt to make an aimed shot. Doesn't mean you are going to hit. He just can't do anything else I think if he shoots. Remember a trained character in rifts gets 4 actions cause he has some training and no matter how much training he has it still takes a little time to aim carefully. A non trained character can only do one thing. That's how I see it. And a round i believe is 15 seconds.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

SkyeFyre wrote:They generally will hide, however I was simply asking for IN THE CASE they ended up having to fight. I want the character to be more of a skill aide, assistant to the other players in the group, rather than a fighter. I'm just wondering in the case that they do get into a fight. Sometimes you can't avoid it.

In that case I suggest you give him some insta-summon muscle because without any combat training he's just so much red smear once he's forced to fight. He's limited to low level (1st-4th iirc) spells if he's going to cast anything in combat and his TW toys better not need aiming - lightning arc pistol perhaps.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Return to “G.M.s Forum”