Who else names their dice?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kirksmithicus
Explorer
Comment: Random Encounter #55

Who else names their dice?

Unread post by kirksmithicus »

Just thought I would check and see if I was the only one with this bizzare habit.

I have an orange d20 named "Orange Crush", and two yellow and black d20's named "The Smash Bothers". :D
"Wealth is hard to come by, but poverty is always at hand"
    -- Proverb from Ki-en-gir (Sumer), c. 2000 BCE

Prometheus Project
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Who else names their dice?

Unread post by Natasha »

What kind of role-playing games are you using these dice in? :P

I don't name the dice; I don't really like dice.
But I was presented three beautiful sets of dice carved from minerals for New Year's. But I won't be naming them either.
kirksmithicus
Explorer

Like I said, It might just be me :D

I have been known to take an adversarial role with my players on occasion, and naming the dice is one means of intimidation I suppose. The "Smash Brothers" got their name because they seem to roll 20's with an exeptionally high frequency, and my players seemed to grumble and moan a lot when I used them. :-D

BTW......I call my six sided dice the "Grave Diggers" mostly because they are used to roll for damage. :D :D :D :D
Last edited by kirksmithicus on Fri May 16, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus Project
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Dice in our games tend to get named only with extreme longevity and specific character... My old DM had "Ol' Blue" that could only be used in specific, high-stress circumstances, because he was a soft-plastic die who had biased towards high numbers.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

2 years ago one of my players got a christmas cracker containing a small silver case with 5 d6's in it. the case looks like one of those aluminum briefcases spys use to carry their sniper rifles in, and the dice are bright red, fairly sharp edged with big black dots. he gave them to me and as soon as i started using them i noticed they rolled high...like 3 out of 5 dice would roll 6 quite often. i named the set my 'sniper dice' and pulled them out whenever i 'meant business', usually opening the case slowly and pulling out one die at a time while casting intimidating/creepy glances around the table.
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

As a Gm I had a few sets of dice that one could say had a tenancy to roll a certain way. My black set was knowen as the Dice of dispair. And my silver one was knowen as the dice of false hope. The first set would almost always doom the party with rolles under 5 and would do absolutly wonderfully for me. The second set would roll great for the party if they were to do unimportant tasks yet fail misserably when rolled for something of importaince.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

I had a pair of d10s a long time ago that I used for percentile rolls. They came in one of the MSH boxed sets; one was red and one was blue. They were the kind you were supposed to fill in the numbers with a white crayon. Instead, I filled each number with a different colored crayon. They became known as "The Amazing Technicolor Dream Dice." I wish I knew where they are now :(

Ø
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Roll it in your free time to get the bad mojo out. It'll be the good kind of killer for a while then.

:lol:
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I have too many dice to name any of them. I guess that makes me the opposite of Natasha.

They are divided into categories; Marble, Gem, Oblique, Metal (steel, copper and brass) and misc. The smallest category is metal, with only three sets.

I do have one black 20 sider with white numbers that's a player killer. I roll 20's an ungodly number of times-unless I'm playing then it comes up all ones.

My steel dice roll high fairly consistantly but there's the odd low number to throw you off.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Well, I have too many dice to name, too. :P

But again I love those stone dice I was presented. They're beautiful just as objects. Not bad as dice go either... ;-)
kirksmithicus
Explorer

I do have one black 20 sider with white numbers that's a player killer. I roll 20's an ungodly number of times-unless I'm playing then it comes up all ones.

I would suggest "The Black Plague". So now you have a dice with a name :D

Prometheus Project
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

How about "twenty-sided"? :P
kirksmithicus
Explorer

Better yet, you could call the twenty-sided dice the "six sided dice". Now that would totally mess with their heads.

"Let me just roll my six sided dice three times for damage" roll, roll, roll "HOLY SHNIKEY!!!!, you just took 45 points of damage, plus the x2 modifier for critical damage, for a total of 90 points of damage. Sorry buddy, your character, Bill the Destroyed of Worlds just got mangled by a viscous Furple ".

Yeah, I'd like to see that in a game :twisted:

Prometheus Project
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

I have "The White One" that came in a MLB Showdown starter and roll impeccably well. I also have the odd ability to call nat 20s with this dice.
I also have a set of 6 D6s that have been labeled the "Rune Dice" because they are made of Bakelite from the 1920s. We always roll insane stats with these things, but they are fickle rolling really high or really low.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

"Dice-Bot"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”