Guns with (potentially) Unlimited Payloads

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Guns with (potentially) Unlimited Payloads

Unread post by LostOne »

Any guns out there with unlimited shots, maybe due to an internal reactor?

I know Splicers and System Failure have living weapons that regenerate shots over time, but in a lengthy battle that won't help you.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Ronon's blaster on Stargate Atlantis. Something where you can spend an attack to use a built-in generator to recharge one or two additional shots. Or something with truly unlimited firepower.

I'm not looking for conversions, was just curious if anything in the books is already out there.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Guns with (potentially) Unlimited Payloads

Unread post by Jefffar »

The NG Power packs will regenerate over time, up to the equivalent to 6 Eclips, but that's about the closest in bog standard rifts.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

. wrote:Rifts-Atlantis, the spluggorthians can Fuse an Eye of Elyor to any weapon (NGR Partical pstiol...etc), giving it unlimited ammo, and I think some other bonuse effects.

I actually remembered that one, but was hoping for something more affordable. :)
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

So you want a budget of less than 100 million credits a weapon and don't want to have to cut a deal with an alien intellegence?

Picky, picky, picky. :nh:
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

and remember the faire bio guns from Slypnn I have the dark fairy one for your average outing. A water one for the vamps. and the tree one when I'm trying to take the D bee in alive.

I don't understand why you can't just jury rige a gun to a robot or borg power source however.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

I'm sure that there's a wind up laser akin to our wind up flashlights...

Or maybe one that you can shake?
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Shadyslug wrote:I'm sure that there's a wind up laser akin to our wind up flashlights...

not likely, given that each laser blast is going to be using several kilowatts of power per microsecond shot.

after all, even a weak laser pistol is doing 2.1x10^05 joules (or more). about the same as a 30mm depleted uranium round fired from a GAU-8 (going by palladium damage listings and then looking at a rough listing of joules for different explosions/impacts.) probably more, since lasers tend to need more energy in the beamm to get the same impact shock result.

2.1x10^05 joules, or 210,005 joules (2 megajoules). 1 joule per second is a watt. thankfully since the beam itself is only microsecondsl ong, the actual electrical power use will be somewhat less per shot, since your merely getting the intensity up, which requires less power than if it was strecthed out over time...

using a shaking or windup generator to charge a laser shot is like expecting a single Stationary bike generator to power an entire modern house all by itself.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Shadyslug wrote:I'm sure that there's a wind up laser akin to our wind up flashlights...

not likely, given that each laser blast is going to be using several kilowatts of power per microsecond shot.

after all, even a weak laser pistol is doing 2.1x10^05 joules (or more). about the same as a 30mm depleted uranium round fired from a GAU-8 (going by palladium damage listings and then looking at a rough listing of joules for different explosions/impacts.) probably more, since lasers tend to need more energy in the beamm to get the same impact shock result.

2.1x10^05 joules, or 210,005 joules (2 megajoules). 1 joule per second is a watt. thankfully since the beam itself is only microsecondsl ong, the actual electrical power use will be somewhat less per shot, since your merely getting the intensity up, which requires less power than if it was strecthed out over time...

using a shaking or windup generator to charge a laser shot is like expecting a single Stationary bike generator to power an entire modern house all by itself.

How long would a home equped with a solar power wind and a small hyro electirc from a small waterfall take to power up a e clip

Use as comparsion NIargra falls if you would.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

glitterboy2098 wrote:using a shaking or windup generator to charge a laser shot is like expecting a single Stationary bike generator to power an entire modern house all by itself.

You're getting too much science in my science fiction. :lol:
Seriously, though, in a world where tech is far advanced, and alien tech is available for a price, you don't think they have a hand-held generator somewhere capable of producing enough power in one or two cranks to fire off a shot?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i think i once figured most short E-clips have about 2-4 megawatts in them (was assuming close to 90% efficeny). lets call it 3....

hoover dam can charge up 690 E-clips at once, taking a day to do.

the Toshiba 4S planend for Galena, Alaska could charge 3 at a time, taking a day to do.

i couldn't find average figures for wind and solar, but using this guy's set up, you could do it in about...3000 days... (wind and solar has very poor energy density.)

obviously on the first two examples, fewer e-clips will charge faster.

this is why you can't hook a ATL-7 to a suit of power armor and get infinite shots. that long E-clip packs twice the power of a short, and it is unlikely the nuclear plants on a PA generate enough power to supply that and run all the motors, drives, and electronics at the same time. :)
as it is, RIFTS nuke plants are extremely powerful for their size. well within feasible limits for fission or fusion, just very high end tech.

LostOne wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:using a shaking or windup generator to charge a laser shot is like expecting a single Stationary bike generator to power an entire modern house all by itself.

You're getting too much science in my science fiction. :lol:
Seriously, though, in a world where tech is far advanced, and alien tech is available for a price, you don't think they have a hand-held generator somewhere capable of producing enough power in one or two cranks to fire off a shot?

Science fiction. get rid of the science and it's just pure fantasy.

as for hand generators able to charge lasers....if they had that, they wouldn't need nuclear powerplants to run their powered armor. they'd be able to power themselves purely by the users motions...
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
csbioborg
Champion

WHAT ABOUT GEO THERMAL. do you have any stats for that. I was thinkning about building a house close to Yellow Stone (in RIfts)

Btw it has been a while what is the conversion between joules and watts.

Real questio is in the futrue is there any way to create nuclear fusion with out natural uranium or pluoium. With as much as is being used one would think a peak urianm siutaion would happen similar to peak oil now

I know you can turn lead into gold in real life could the same be done for fissionable materials
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

there's a laser longbow in Spirit West that charges everytime you pull it back. I think that's as good as it gets
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

csbioborg wrote:WHAT ABOUT GEO THERMAL. do you have any stats for that. I was thinkning about building a house close to Yellow Stone (in RIfts)

not sure. i've never really found stats on geothermal generator outputs.

Btw it has been a while what is the conversion between joules and watts.

1 watt = 1 joule/second.

keep in mind most listings are per day on powerplants.

Real questio is in the futrue is there any way to create nuclear fusion with out natural uranium or pluoium. With as much as is being used one would think a peak urianm siutaion would happen similar to peak oil now

I know you can turn lead into gold in real life could the same be done for fissionable materials

uranium and plutonium are used for fission. fusion requires various isotpes of hydrogen.

you can make other fissionable isotopes using radiation the same way they've managed to make gold from lead (they hit it with streams of protons and electrons to bulk up the nucleus). thats actually the same way plutonium is made from uranium.

however, such transmutation is generally not power efficent. you spend more energy to acheive it than you get from using the result.

however you can do things like use thorium in a sub-critical reactor. thorium will not fission normally. but when bombarded with a low powered particle beam, it will. the resultng power if so used in a reactor is more than sufficent ot powwer the beam and have power left over.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

LostOne wrote:Any guns out there with unlimited shots, maybe due to an internal reactor?

I know Splicers and System Failure have living weapons that regenerate shots over time, but in a lengthy battle that won't help you.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Ronon's blaster on Stargate Atlantis. Something where you can spend an attack to use a built-in generator to recharge one or two additional shots. Or something with truly unlimited firepower.

I'm not looking for conversions, was just curious if anything in the books is already out there.

If the person who wants the gun is a robot, or using a suit of power armor (or nuclear-powered vehicle) then yes.
There are guns that can hook into the nuclear power supply.

Or, if you're a Borg or something, you could carry a small nuclear power supply around with you, and use a gun that's hooked into it.

Edit:
And there's always the Laser Bow.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
csbioborg
Champion

how does the laser bow work I don't own SPirit west and I haven't looked at it in years.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

csbioborg wrote:how does the laser bow work I don't own SPirit west and I haven't looked at it in years.

Depends.

Pulling back the drawstring on the bow generates enough energy for a last blast that does 2d6 MD.

The writers later claimed that what they meant was that pulling back on the bowstring powered a generator that drew energy from the E-Clip in order to produce the laser blast.

Either way, it doesn't make a damn lick of sense, but as written it has effectively unlimited ammo.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

csbioborg
Champion

ya that will never be allowed in my game. Where is the laser coming out of anyway
Killer Cyborg
Priest

csbioborg wrote:ya that will never be allowed in my game. Where is the laser coming out of anyway

It has a barrel.

Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

WB 25, China 2, has a Mini-Nuclear Power Cell that gives somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 shots. But you need to figure out some way to recharge it.
DB 6, Three Galaxies, pg. 28, talks about 'Fecklar's Station' and how their scientist had managed to make some type of Perpetual Plasma Generator that, I guess, would run off of hydrogen atoms.
Maybe if you found a way to combine the two...
Or make a Mini-AntiMatter-Cell...
I don't know if this is much help or not- Sorry.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

3G has a backpack = 10 e-clips. CS has canisters with cables. NG has a backpack = 6 e-clips. TW can recharge from ppe/isp. Better yet, do a TW conversion of an e-clip recharger.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Mindwerks has a giant sized rifle that regenerates shots.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

LostOne wrote:
. wrote:Rifts-Atlantis, the spluggorthians can Fuse an Eye of Elyor to any weapon (NGR Partical pstiol...etc), giving it unlimited ammo, and I think some other bonuse effects.

I actually remembered that one, but was hoping for something more affordable. :)

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch...and if it's free, start looking for the secret agenda and/or the fine print...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Rerouting the power source of a nuclear jet pack into a bank of E-clips should provide what you are looking for.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Has anyone calculated the c-bills for any of these contraptions? I'd especially be interested in a TW e-clip recharger and the jet pack nuke + e-clips + recharger.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
csbioborg
Champion

you ever watch off the grid by Les stroud (Suvvivorman) its about having a self sufficent house. Well I've got a bounty hunter I've always wanted to map out his house. I'd want it to be off the grid rifts style.

Return to “Rifts®”