What sort of starship flaws can you think of?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sinder Sleeping
D-Bee

Re: What sort of starship flaws can you think of?

Unread post by Sinder Sleeping »

Not enough Red Shirts for the crew to wear! :twisted:
When your Hot! your Hot! when your not your Toast!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Sinder Sleeping wrote:Not enough Red Shirts for the crew to wear! :twisted:

Crew members on the ship have unusually bad luck unless they are officers. The non-officers have a life expectancy measured in weeks and months, depending on the tour of duty. Everytime the ship gets hit by weapons fire a console will explode and kill a crew member. Everytime some alien thing gets on the ship, it will begin killing random crew members. However, despite this, the ship's reputation is a heroic/glorious one, and there are always more people at the next port willing to enlist. Bonus for the officers, crew members rarely live long enough to get paid, and the signing contracts that were already made up when the group got ownership of the ship stipulates that in the event of a crewman's death, no recompense will be paid to family. Very profitable for the officers...
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Food Poisoning--_The ship's food synthesizers/processors deliver delicious, nutritious meals every time...problem is, they're also rich in heavy metals and bio-accumulative toxins...given a few months of a steady diet of ship chow, that build-up becomes critical, at which point nothing short of full-out chelation, purgative, therapies will work....or reincarnation...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

taalismn wrote:Food Poisoning--_The ship's food synthesizers/processors deliver delicious, nutritious meals every time...problem is, they're also rich in heavy metals and bio-accumulative toxins...given a few months of a steady diet of ship chow, that build-up becomes critical, at which point nothing short of full-out chelation, purgative, therapies will work....or reincarnation...

Similar idea, except instead of poison, the food is laced with a highly addictive chemical. It doesn't affect performance or anything, until they stop getting it, then they go through lethal withdrawl. A way to maintain crew loyalty.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

You can also substitute 'in/fertility drug', 'aphrodesiac', or 'hypnotic' for the food additives/contaminants...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

LostOne wrote:
Sinder Sleeping wrote:Not enough Red Shirts for the crew to wear! :twisted:

Crew members on the ship have unusually bad luck unless they are officers. The non-officers have a life expectancy measured in weeks and months, depending on the tour of duty...

Well, they can just pull off a Neelix, and declare themselves the 'Officers of XY' (didn't he claim he was the chief of happiness or morale or something?). Might not give them any more actual standing or authority amongst the crew, but would probably keep them alive.

And in the spirit of the previous food ideas, Slop Meals: The meals are a disgusting pile of slime and goop with rancid looking meaty and vegetable bits floating around in it. The meals are actually quite nutritious, just absolutely foul tasting, smelling, and looking; they have everything neccessary to keep you alive, its just nearly impossible to keep the sludge down.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Well, they can just pull off a Neelix, and declare themselves the 'Officers of XY' (didn't he claim he was the chief of happiness or morale or something?). Might not give them any more actual standing or authority amongst the crew, but would probably keep them alive.

Moral Officer. But Janeway made it official, so he was basically a non-commissioned officer.

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:And in the spirit of the previous food ideas, Slop Meals: The meals are a disgusting pile of slime and goop with rancid looking meaty and vegetable bits floating around in it. The meals are actually quite nutritious, just absolutely foul tasting, smelling, and looking; they have everything neccessary to keep you alive, its just nearly impossible to keep the sludge down.

We had that in one of our games...we called it "Ick".
"What's the flavor today?"
"Beef Ick."
"What about tonight?"
"Mystery Meat Ick."
"Breakfast tomorrow?"
"Banana Ick."
"Lunch tomorrow?"
"Ick Ick."
"I think I'll skip lunch tomorrow."
taalismn
Priest

LostOne wrote:
Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Well, they can just pull off a Neelix, and declare themselves the 'Officers of XY' (didn't he claim he was the chief of happiness or morale or something?). Might not give them any more actual standing or authority amongst the crew, but would probably keep them alive.

Moral Officer. But Janeway made it official, so he was basically a non-commissioned officer.

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:And in the spirit of the previous food ideas, Slop Meals: The meals are a disgusting pile of slime and goop with rancid looking meaty and vegetable bits floating around in it. The meals are actually quite nutritious, just absolutely foul tasting, smelling, and looking; they have everything neccessary to keep you alive, its just nearly impossible to keep the sludge down.

We had that in one of our games...we called it "Ick".
"What's the flavor today?"
"Beef Ick."
"What about tonight?"
"Mystery Meat Ick."
"Breakfast tomorrow?"
"Banana Ick."
"Lunch tomorrow?"
"Ick Ick."
"I think I'll skip lunch tomorrow."

Damn, but that's an infectious bad joke...now I can't help but think of 'fried ick', boiled ick, ick gumbo, ick cocktail, saunteed ick, etc...all delivered in Forrest Gump tones...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

ROFLMAO!!!! Those are some great ones! Please keep them coming! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Shifting Center of Gravity---The ship's center of gravity is unstable in atmospheric flight, (not simply nose- or tail-heavy) and causes the ship to 'porpoise'(-20% to piloting rolls) unless the crew is fast enough to begin shifting cargo or simply running from one side/end of the ship to the other to straighten it out...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Tailgaiters: The navigation program in this ship has a slight fault in it. If this vehicle is part of a convoy or grouping or other vessels, it follows at point blank range behind the closest vessel, resulting in a -10% to all piloting rolls and -3 to all strike rolls, due to the proximity to the other vehicle.

Just something I find extremely annoying when I drive.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! Now I can see both of those being great sight gags in the various games. Please keep them coming!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Out-of-Phase Decking: The cockpit/command center and one random room/hallway a day will have portions of paneling that will phase out of our universe. Best make sure you carry sticks to poke at the floor, seeing as how it will still look exactly the same...

taalismn
Priest

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Out-of-Phase Decking: The cockpit/command center and one random room/hallway a day will have portions of paneling that will phase out of our universe. Best make sure you carry sticks to poke at the floor, seeing as how it will still look exactly the same...

Variation on the above:
Part of the EXTERNAL hull will phase out...not enough to allow atmosphere to escape, but anything more massive and leaning against the hull, is going to fall straight through...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! Some more great ones! Please keep them coming! :D

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Blind Mans' Bluff: Every day there is a cumulative 1% chance of ALL external sensors simultaneously failing. Better hope you've got a window or something, cause you'll be flying blind. This visual blackout lasts for one minute per day you had gone without triggering the sensor failure (ten days=ten minutes, ninety days=nintey minutes).

Seniority of the strongest: Rank and influence within the ship is based on physical strength, with the strongest person/being as the captain.

Viral Reproduction: The captain has a form of limited immortality, whenever he dies while on (or within 200 feet per level)the ship he dissolves into a puddle of goop, which covers the lowest ranking officers body, and reforms it into a perfect reproduction of the captains. The problem with this is the captain doesn't have any extra protections against the trauma of death, so will become largely insane after a few time.

Fuel Additives: Especially prevalent amongst some of the Riathanor ships, this additive is the bodies of sentient beings. Each 100 pounds of former people adds 10% to the overall speed of the ship and adds +1% to piloting rolls and a natural +1 to strike. Unfortunatley, this also turns your ship into something that looks rather like the Riathanor themselves, and gives it a VERY detectable radar signature (+5 to strike from all enemies), making it impossible to hide amingst other ships and difficult to dodge incoming enemies.

All I got for now.

Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent ones Roscoe! Please keep them coming! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Ship-Carnivore---The ship has self-repair systems, using materials scrounged from deep space...that's good...the bad news is, after the ship destroys another ship, it persists in hanging around to digest and enjoy its kill...unless the ship is facing 5-1 odds or worse, or the crew takes drastic measures to get the ship moving, it will not abandon its 'prey'...and even then, there's a 50% chance the ship will try to drag the wreck of its latest meal with it...reduce speed by 25%...though the ship's weapons get a +1 to initaive and +10% extra damage for protecing its 'meal' from what it perceives as scavengers...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That was a great one. I can see the peoples of various militaries reacting badly to that one.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:Ship-Carnivore---The ship has self-repair systems, using materials scrounged from deep space...that's good...the bad news is, after the ship destroys another ship, it persists in hanging around to digest and enjoy its kill...
(...)
though the ship's weapons get a +1 to initaive and +10% extra damage for protecing its 'meal' from what it perceives as scavengers...

And maybe during "digestion", the automated digestive enzime of the ship (ie. robots, be they androids or
nanites) takes care so that the still functioning weaponry of the prey are brought online...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a cool addenum to that one KLM! Great suggestion. Maybe it can do it thru the use of nanobots too. Please keep these coming!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Not just nanobots.

As a technical side note, such salvaging probably more efficient - both timewise and (spare)partwise -
if the prey is not broken down to elementary particles, but working blocks (whole turrets, armor plates,
local computers, you name it) are ripped out, stored and then inserted into our own systems.

Mind you, since the 3 Galaxies have more or less universal technology ("standard" missile types,
standard e-clips, and of course those "make yourself starships" mentioned at the shipping cans),
such technological cannibalism is more than feasible.

Of course, nanites beautifully supplement these bigger salvaging drones - as they can easily repair
stuff like damaged computer memory cards or cpu's, etc. which on our technology level are better
recycled, than repaired. Another thought is that today a computer becomes obsolete in a decade
at most - even more durable hardware, like a car or an MBT needs a serious upgrade.
Not in the "canon" 3 Galaxies.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

Well...in that case, if the ship is adding to its capabilities, then one downside is that the ship ejects/evicts the crew or forces them into the lifeboats for the duration while it 'remodels'...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Quite possible, and of course most of us remember what it took for the SDF-1 to "transform".

On the other hand, IMO in the 3 Galaxies such an "always expanding" AI driven ships
(which are more or less qualify as Von Neumann Machines) are not welcome.

But of course, they might happen to exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-repli ... atic_model

That said, Taalism's original concept was that the "carnivorous" ship only "feeds" - ie. only
needs part to sustain itself, not expanding capabilities or reproduction, the occasional
changing one destroyed plasma canon to a salvaged P-Beam included.

This version is more "in line" with canon.

IMO.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Declining Resale Value---Most ships lose value with age, but not as fast as your ship...Whether it was on the cusp of a now obsolete technology when it was built, or because 'Ship Finder' lists your vessel's service history as a 'black hole of an investment, and a disaster waiting for victims to show up', your investment has lost its value ...2d6x10%(yes....a NEGATIVE percentage is possible...that's where you'd have to PAY somebody else to take your ship away)....Hope you either found, salvaged, or stole this ship, because when it comes time to retire it(any minute now, likely), you're going to lose money on the deal...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

The ship is completely voice driven, the AI does all the actual piloting and controls all functions. The problem is the AI doesn't realize it's an AI, it thinks it's an actual person, a member of the crew. Anytime someone points out it's just an AI/computer/component of the ship, the AI becomes nonresponsive for 1d6x10 minutes while it sulks. If engaged in combat during that time, the ship is totally defenseless for 1d3 melees until the AI realizes it needs to raise shields and power weapons.
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

LostOne wrote:The ship is completely voice driven

Or instead of voices, it responds to sounds, but not ones that are normally associated with normal conversation. High pitched screetches, low moans, the kind of clicking noises you make with your tongue, heck, even the sound of the can-opener could work!

"Frank, go get that hyper-spanner out of storage and get ready to drop it on the Docter's foot, we need to be ready to go to lightpeed"
"BeeeellllCCCH! Oh crap! Undo, undo! I didn't want to arm the self destruct!"

The ship was once the property of a group of essentially interstellar hippies, who drove around doing peace movements and promoting 'free-love' and such. Of course, the outside of the ship is painted in eye-blinding psychodelic colors, and every now and then someone finds an old stash of 'natural herbs' (usually right before an inspector is due to check the ship for contraband). Further more, the ship is registered in most planets databases' as an annoyance, and the change in owners hasn't come through yet, so expect lots of explaining to the police why you've come back after the last time and such.

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Question about magical cold attacks in space. Regular water boils at 54000 degree at 98.6 degree. In space water evaporates immediatedly then reforms in 64 molecules beads.

How does this effect mafical cold attacks that normally use water as the cold.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
taalismn
Priest

Macabre Upholstery---It's not readily apparent to the crew on casual inspection, but the entire complement of furniture aboard the ship is upholstered in the processed hide/skin/fur of once-sentient beings...Unfortunately, the next port(s) of call are dominated by the species to whom those integuments belonged, and any members of the species who step aboard will immediately identify the furnishings as the result of flayings...resulting in a real sticky situation for the crew ...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Watch red dwarf and Lex +farscape for ideas on flawed ship in that order
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Aramanthus
Monk

I've seen all three of those shows! They are great shows! And I'm interested in seeing more of our twisted flaws that people have come up with. Great ones today. Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Command-Control Tag---The ship randomly reconfigures the control consoles around the ship to route all control functions through one of the consoles, giving the person at that desk, whether they want it or not, TOTAL control of ship functions, requiring either everybody to be versed in all ship functions, or some quick musical chairs and seating reshuffling. THe control rerouting takes place every 2d4 days.
Obviously this flaw doesn't work with single seater craft...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That is a great flaw. I can see this being a flaw in several of the secondary fleets around Phase World. Please keep the flaws coming!

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

External cockpit: Due to some bizare mishap with the contrstruction plant made it so that the only place that navigation controls (when not going lightspeed at least) are mounted on the OUTSIDE of the hull, requiring people to leave the ship to change direction.

Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That is a great one! That would be one heck of problem in the midst of a furball! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

csbioborg wrote:Question about magical cold attacks in space. Regular water boils at 54000 degree at 98.6 degree. In space water evaporates immediatedly then reforms in 64 molecules beads.

How does this effect mafical cold attacks that normally use water as the cold.

What does this have to do with starship flaws?

The ship has an unusual power plant, obviously designed by a race of the mineral vareity. Anyone of the meat/plant vareity on the ship when the power plant runs above 50% will find the water in their bodies beginning to boil. Apparently the power plant releases an unusual radiation that the designers weren't concerned about, but it kills anything water based by vaporizing all water in the ship.
taalismn
Priest

Smell-based Controls---The ship was designed by beings who were sightless! IN this case, the original crew was more analogous to spacefaring moles, and so the ship has not a single visual display, some auditory displays, and a complex read-out system using aromatic clues! Beings with an advanced sense of discriminatory smell(like Dog Boys) are at an advantage to piloting this sort of vessel...while all others are just sniffing...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Ehehe...

Do not try to pilot it without long whiskers and a well developed
"vibration-locating" sensory organs...

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

"Well, sir...we're either under attack, there's a fire in the electrical system, or you really oughta change your socks, sir."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!! Those were some great ones! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The DOOOOPPPPEEEE SHHHIIIPPPPPPPP.....Melllowww and stooonnnneeedddd...Come aboooarrrrdddd...somebody's stash of narcotics has leaked into the life support system, giving everybody a good dosing....it starts out subtly, but pretty soon everybody's absolutely mellowed out...That's when the customs inspection ship pulls up alongside...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That was a great one! Please keep these flaws coming!

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

taalismn wrote:The DOOOOPPPPEEEE SHHHIIIPPPPPPPP.....Melllowww and stooonnnneeedddd...Come aboooarrrrdddd...somebody's stash of narcotics has leaked into the life support system, giving everybody a good dosing....it starts out subtly, but pretty soon everybody's absolutely mellowed out...That's when the customs inspection ship pulls up alongside...

Unfortunately customs impounds the ship when no one is available to answer their hails. Everyone is raiding the galley in a massive group fit of the munchies.
taalismn
Priest

Worse yet, upon entering the ship, the customs inspectors also fall victim to the dope-tainted life support..
Hearing no response from the inspections ship, ground control assumes the worst and vectors in a military patrol to deal with the situation...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

And these guys come in fully enclosed power armors. So are they safe from the tainted air?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:And these guys come in fully enclosed power armors. So are they safe from the tainted air?

Provided they just don't shoot up the ship from a distance...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL!!! that could be a very bad thing for them to do. Unless that is they have more fire power then the local authorities.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

A race that is commonly the punchline of jokes for their horrid engineering (things such as the flaming toothbrush and electrified shower are more extreme examples of their failed tech that someone thought would be a good idea) makes their first interstellar spacecraft. But what is it made out of? Not metal alloys or plastics like most spacefaring races. No, it's made of SDC concrete...a giant cube ship with 3ft thick walls of strong-yet-brittle concrete reinforced by hemp rope instead of steel bars inside the concrete.
taalismn
Priest

LostOne wrote:A race that is commonly the punchline of jokes for their horrid engineering (things such as the flaming toothbrush and electrified shower are more extreme examples of their failed tech that someone thought would be a good idea) makes their first interstellar spacecraft. But what is it made out of? Not metal alloys or plastics like most spacefaring races. No, it's made of SDC concrete...a giant cube ship with 3ft thick walls of strong-yet-brittle concrete reinforced by hemp rope instead of steel bars inside the concrete.

This was built by the Bludistupydjonsonians, right?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That was a great one Roscoe! I wonder if we should call "This Olde House" to repair and rebuild that ship!

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”