Borgs, Nuclear Power Sources and Cost

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Borgs, Nuclear Power Sources and Cost

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Negalith wrote:I was thinking about Borgs the other day and assumed that they would require a power source of some kind. In my reading of the borg section of the RUE I did not seem to see a reference to what the source was. I’m assuming they would use a nuclear power source like power armor and robots do. Most power armor suits say that their power plants last 15 – 20 years. This would mean that a borg would likely need a new one every 15 – 20 years as well. So.. what would that cost? The cost for a robot nuclear power plant in sourcebook one that lasts 10-20 years is listed at 15 million dollars. Wow that’s a lot. Other power armor suits like the SAMAS and X-10 Predator have nuclear power plants with 15 – 20 year lives and the entire power armor suits are less than 2 million. What gives? Why are robot nuclear power plans so expensive? What kind of price tag would you put on one for a borg?

the price in sourcebook one is not actually accurate, that is the price for a nuclear plant in a robot character.

A bionic nuclear cell is closer to one million credits. Considering a Borg needs less sleep and is more capable of more dangerous work and thus can easily make 3-20 times what a non borg can make, a borg who puts a little aside can easily make the money to replace his power cell.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Bionics Sourcebook pgs 90 & 91:

Costs 2 million credits. Does not give the lifespan of the power plant. Also, would you have to replace the whole unit, or just the fuel (rods, pellets, whatever)?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sennin wrote:Bionics Sourcebook pgs 90 & 91:

Costs 2 million credits. Does not give the lifespan of the power plant. Also, would you have to replace the whole unit, or just the fuel (rods, pellets, whatever)?

well, most rifts nuclear powerplants seem to be compact fission systems. probably running off thorium (which gives substantially more power for mass in a reactor, and in compact systems can be made fairly safe. it also produces uranium 233 as part of it's normal fuel cycle. U233 is a very effective fuel for nuclear reactors and nuclear bombs, which explains the SB4 bit about "produced in the nuclear plants of the CS warmachine")

more than likely the reactor, or the parts of it holding the fissile fuel, are modular. so the refuel the powerplant you'd pull out the casket holding the spent fuel and hook up a fresh one. this way the fuel stays contained and is less of a hazard. the spent fuel casket can then be shipped back to a processing plant where the spent fuel is removed, the U233 extracted for use elsewhere (like in the nuclear warhead LRM's, which seem to use a W54 derived subkiloton warhead...), and new Thorium fuel elements put in. then the now refueled casket can be shipped back for installment into other PA/borgs
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Evil Psychologist wrote:What you want to do is sneak into the Megaversal Legion and steal a few antimatter power cells.

Those rule.

and then they will cover their junk in honey and hump a beehive because apparently they don't like living.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Samored II »

Evil Psychologist wrote:Humans/Ogs aren't the epitome of intelligence and subterfuge. All it would take would be an information leak, a corrupt individual or the right preparations to subdue a cyborg in the field.

I am surprised the book portrays the secrets of their technology as being so well-kept, when in fact the opportunities for industrial espionage and reverse engineering would be ripe in any conflict.

Nonsense. Take a plasma screen TV back in time 50 years and the engineers of the day wouldn't have the first clue how to "reverse engineer" the technology. Megaversal Legion technology is WAY more than 50 years ahead of Rifts Earth.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Samored II wrote:
Evil Psychologist wrote:Humans/Ogs aren't the epitome of intelligence and subterfuge. All it would take would be an information leak, a corrupt individual or the right preparations to subdue a cyborg in the field.

I am surprised the book portrays the secrets of their technology as being so well-kept, when in fact the opportunities for industrial espionage and reverse engineering would be ripe in any conflict.

Nonsense. Take a plasma screen TV back in time 50 years and the engineers of the day wouldn't have the first clue how to "reverse engineer" the technology. Megaversal Legion technology is WAY more than 50 years ahead of Rifts Earth.

I disagree. They might not be able to instantly produce it, but they'd be able to reverse engineer it, if given time.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:
Samored II wrote:

I disagree. They might not be able to instantly produce it, but they'd be able to reverse engineer it, if given time.

That's like saying humanity will ascend to megaversal god-hood, if given enough time. There was an implied condition that the reverse engineering would be possible within a short period of game time. If you want to postulate the reverse engineers could undertake hundreds of iterations of tools to make the tools to make the tools, be my guest.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

part of the problem in reverse engineering megaversal legion stuff is physics. IE: theirs use an odd form of them.
thus the i-beam tech is not going ot be easy to reverse engineer, nor would their inertial drives and protective systems.

their antimatter powerplants could probably be copied, but where do you get the antimatter? it's not like you can make lots of the stuff easily. we have to use massive cyclotrons and we've produced maybe a few grams total over several decades of research. usually we work with handfuls of anti-particles at a time.

presumably the megaversal legion has some tech that makes anti-matter cheaply in bulk....and it probably uses an understanding of physics beyond most RIFTS powers...
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre

Samored II wrote:That's like saying humanity will ascend to megaversal god-hood, if given enough time. There was an implied condition that the reverse engineering would be possible within a short period of game time. If you want to postulate the reverse engineers could undertake hundreds of iterations of tools to make the tools to make the tools, be my guest.

In game terms, it takes someone with Telemechanics and the proper skills... there's a large number of Operators who can do this blindfolded.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:
Samored II wrote:That's like saying humanity will ascend to megaversal god-hood, if given enough time. There was an implied condition that the reverse engineering would be possible within a short period of game time. If you want to postulate the reverse engineers could undertake hundreds of iterations of tools to make the tools to make the tools, be my guest.

In game terms, it takes someone with Telemechanics and the proper skills... there's a large number of Operators who can do this blindfolded.

Telemechanics doesn't convey an understanding of the underlying physics, nor does it provide the supporting technology to disassemble, service, build, or install these devices. In game terms, telemechanics provides little to nothing to support reverse engineering of such a device, and since no one on earth has the necessary skills, or equipment, the second half of your arguement disolves.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Evil Psychologist wrote:Oh, we're talking about only their human enemies?

No.

Last I checked, the Megaversal Legion was a high-profile mercenary outfit who severed sponsorship from a race at odds with such stone age engineers as Naruni and the like. You can safely deduce I implied that.

Hoorah for me.

Also note that a full understanding of the principles behind that technology is not exactly necessary. We're talking about hijacking antimatter power cells to power a 'borg, which could be as simple as figuring out how to run current through + and - on a car battery with a nuclear power plant, relatively speaking. Would the jury-rigging mechanic in such a situation necessarily need a complete understanding of atomic science?

Jerry-rigging does not equal reverse engineering.
Library Ogre

Samored II wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Telemechanics doesn't convey an understanding of the underlying physics, nor does it provide the supporting technology to disassemble, service, build, or install these devices. In game terms, telemechanics provides little to nothing to support reverse engineering of such a device, and since no one on earth has the necessary skills, or equipment, the second half of your arguement disolves.

Actually, it tells you precisely what the devices do, and how they do it. While people may be at a penalty for dealing with unconventional devices, they're not barred from it.

All Palladium Articles
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:their antimatter powerplants could probably be copied, but where do you get the antimatter? it's not like you can make lots of the stuff easily. we have to use massive cyclotrons and we've produced maybe a few grams total over several decades of research. usually we work with handfuls of anti-particles at a time.

presumably the megaversal legion has some tech that makes anti-matter cheaply in bulk....and it probably uses an understanding of physics beyond most RIFTS powers...

Actually in the last week we had a major breakthrough in IRL anti-matter production.
Here's a link: http://www.physorg.com/news146160767.html

Also, related: legion probobly does. You cant have anti-matter reactors that create power without an ample supply of fuel, but that's not beyond Rifts powers. Just let a gang of Techno-Wizards get ahold of the Annihilate spell and see what happens after a few weeks :D

Mark Hall wrote:Actually, it tells you precisely what the devices do, and how they do it. While people may be at a penalty for dealing with unconventional devices, they're not barred from it.

Schooled!
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:Actually, it tells you precisely what the devices do, and how they do it. While people may be at a penalty for dealing with unconventional devices, they're not barred from it.

LOL. Take a technical manual telling precisely what each component part of a stock car engine does and how it does it into a warehouse will all the raw materials needed to build one. I'm sure you could whip out a duplicate in a couple hundred years. And while a 1% chance is still a chance, it's mighty unlikely.
Library Ogre

Samored II wrote:

LOL. Take a technical manual telling precisely what each component part of a stock car engine does and how it does it into a warehouse will all the raw materials needed to build one. I'm sure you could whip out a duplicate in a couple hundred years. And while a 1% chance is still a chance, it's mighty unlikely.

It doesn't just say "This one regulates power flow to the flux capacitor", it tells you how it does it.

All Palladium Articles
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

wolfe wrote:That's pretty much how some of us rebuild old warbirds.
You really should do some research into reverse engineering beforehand.

Before all the exotic materials and computerization that was pretty much how things were reverse engineered.

Telemechanics will fill in alot a blanks a hell of alot faster then any other means and far less destructively then what would normally have to be done.

Looks like I'm not the one who needs to do my research.

I somehow doubt you smelt your own iron/aluminium, refine your own fuel, tap your own rubber trees, cast your own ceramics, grow your own trees, generate your own electricity, or pour your own glass. I doubt you built your own tools to do the rebuild either.

Telemechanics doesn't convey an understanding of the underlying physics, nor does it provide the tools needed to build anything. Reverse engineering only works across equal or lower technology levels not from a lower lever to a higher level.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:
Samored II wrote:

It doesn't just say "This one regulates power flow to the flux capacitor", it tells you how it does it.

Still doesn't tell you how to build it, what the tolerances of the machine are, or provide the materials or tools to do any of it. To go back to my original example the 1950's engineer could tell the plasma TV's picture is created through charged gas regulated by an integrated circuit contained between panes of glass. He still couldn't build the computer chips, pour the glass to precise enough tolerances and structural strength, or write the control code.
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Samored II wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Samored II wrote:

Still doesn't tell you how to build it, what the tolerances of the machine are, or provide the materials or tools to do any of it. To go back to my original example the 1950's engineer could tell the plasma TV's picture is created through charged gas regulated by an integrated circuit contained between panes of glass. He still couldn't build the computer chips, pour the glass to precise enough tolerances and structural strength, or write the control code.

to be fair, alot of the "modern" technology we use has been thought of decades to centuries in advance. The difficulty is that practical applications of said technology dont exist.
I have serious doubt that an operator using telemechanics isnt going to understand what's going on, in fact it's most likely he will understand what's going on, and perhaps our 1950's scientist is going to look at the plasma screen TV and say "wow how come we never thought of that?", OR he'll realize that with current technology, he can only reproduce what he's handling on a much larger scale.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Mark Hall wrote:
Samored II wrote:

No, it doesn't. Telemechanics provides a complete schematic diagram and knowledge of operation. Regulation of power flow to the flux capacitor is well within the capabilities of the power, knowledge of what the flux capacitor is, how it operates, and how to build one isn't provided.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

wolfe wrote: :lol:
Actually kid, yes at times we do have to make our own materials from scratch (including smelting metal)as these birds just don't have parts being made for them anymore.

But then your just being way overly excessive anyway and as I said before that was how it was done BEFORE the exotic materials and computerization era hit.

Well grandpa, the fact you occasionally make your own parts in no way supports the thesis that it should be possible to reverse engineer a higher technology artifact.

We have small time engineers doing things now from small shops that a few decades ago only large corporations could achieve.
Small groups making ceramic body armor and improving on it everyday.
Private people creating armor and an industry for armor plating private and military vehicles.
We have an aerospace industry that is exploding, private people launching themselves and hardware into space, yet your insisting Mark couldn't duplicate a simple engine in less then a couple hundred years.
:roll:
Please, you obviously have no clue of what you speak.

I freely admit I can't re-build an aircraft turbine engine using bailing wire and duct-tape; however, I do know two things, the definition and use of metaphor and the original subject of this portion of the conversational thread.

Nobody has said it could be done overnight.
Telemechanics speeds up the reverse engineering process considerably and less destructively.

I never said otherwise. However, telemechanics gives no assistance towards an impossible project. And reverse engineering Megaversal Legion anti-matter energy batteries would be difficult to impossible for a high technology power like the Naurani since South America II said their former masters technology level was almost unparalleled in the megaverse, it would be totally impossible for someone on Rifts Earth.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Samored II wrote:I never said otherwise. However, telemechanics gives no assistance towards an impossible project. And reverse engineering Megaversal Legion anti-matter energy batteries would be difficult to impossible for a high technology power like the Naurani since South America II said their former masters technology level was almost unparalleled in the megaverse, it would be totally impossible for someone on Rifts Earth.

FIREBALL! It's completely possible. Possible in multiple ways even. Telemechanics might not be one of them (though I'm sure it helps to a greater extent), but it is more possible than you'd like to hear.

"Masters of Technology" They say the same thing of the gene-splicers and the Angel of Death. Yet both can and do get their tech replicated - most notably from random alien races coming from an HU world. Or supers from an HU world. Or gods from random dimension X. etc... etc...
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

for once, i agree with DoW. it's not impossible. perhaps highly improbable, but not impossible. if someone with sufficently advanced understanding got ahold of a few examples, they could probably duplicate it. but the issue is largely the variety of stuff you need ot get to make it worthwhile. sure, you can duplicate those antimatter powerpacks if you get a handful of them. you probably could manufacture copies for your own use, though they might be less reliable or bulkier depending on your manufacturing technology level.

but to make the worthwhile, you also need to reverse engineer the legions anti-matter production technology, so you can fill them. otherwise they are just expensive paperweights. current production tech, even allowing for some of the more recent advances, would be "i just filled one pack after two centuries of production". so you need somethng to make it in bulk.

and that is why their tech hasn't been copied yet. individual devices can be worked out easily, but they'd need some other proprietary tech to make/make useful.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Dog_O_War wrote:
Samored II wrote:I never said otherwise. However, telemechanics gives no assistance towards an impossible project. And reverse engineering Megaversal Legion anti-matter energy batteries would be difficult to impossible for a high technology power like the Naurani since South America II said their former masters technology level was almost unparalleled in the megaverse, it would be totally impossible for someone on Rifts Earth.

FIREBALL! It's completely possible. Possible in multiple ways even. Telemechanics might not be one of them (though I'm sure it helps to a greater extent), but it is more possible than you'd like to hear.

"Masters of Technology" They say the same thing of the gene-splicers and the Angel of Death. Yet both can and do get their tech replicated - most notably from random alien races coming from an HU world. Or supers from an HU world. Or gods from random dimension X. etc... etc...

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Naurani would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Samored II wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Naurani would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

Who cares about what Naruni can and cannot do? You've already stated that they are not the most technologically advanced conglomerate in the megaverse. So why would you mention them? They don't have any of the "I win" buttons I mentioned.

As well, your statement is a general smoke-screen with no real meaning. Here, I'll show you how.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Kreeloks would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Mechanoids would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Canned-spaminoids would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the killer-megaversal-hobos would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

See how I can just mention the name of an alien race (randomly rolled up or not) and it also fits the sentence as Naruni? Just because Naruni sells some tech that is considered "the best" on Rifts earth, doesn't make it so.

I mean technically speaking, the makers of the JA-9 have created (pound for pound) the most deadly weapon in the megaverse.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Evil Psychologist wrote:Fireball, indeed. The megaverse is a big place, and with all the variables flowing into RIFTS Earth nothing is impossible.

It's even likely that a megaversal scientist goes renegade and does the "reverse engineering" himself for a borg as apart of a protection/bodyguard thing.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Dog_O_War wrote:Who cares about what Naruni can and cannot do? You've already stated that they are not the most technologically advanced conglomerate in the megaverse. So why would you mention them? They don't have any of the "I win" buttons I mentioned.

Because if they are unable to reverse engineer Dakir technology, with their level of technology and resources, it can't be done?

As well, your statement is a general smoke-screen with no real meaning. Here, I'll show you how.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Kreeloks would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Mechanoids would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the Canned-spaminoids would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

If Dakir technology could be reverse engineered so easily the killer-megaversal-hobos would have done it, instead they chose to bad mouth technically superior and more advanced Dakir technology.

See how I can just mention the name of an alien race (randomly rolled up or not) and it also fits the sentence as Naruni?

You said it yourself, smokescreen. For you to stop trying to create one would be appreciated.

Just because Naruni sells some tech that is considered "the best" on Rifts earth, doesn't make it so.

According to the canon it does.

I mean technically speaking, the makers of the JA-9 have created (pound for pound) the most deadly weapon in the megaverse.

Another poor attempt at a smokescreen.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Halios wrote:again I'm at work and cannot look it up in one of my books but doesn't the Psi-Tech have a specialized/advanced version of telemechanics?

Not one that provide details on the underlying physics behind a device. A psi-tech would now how to use a borg power battery, but not how to make one.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Samored II wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Who cares about what Naruni can and cannot do? You've already stated that they are not the most technologically advanced conglomerate in the megaverse. So why would you mention them? They don't have any of the "I win" buttons I mentioned.

Because if they are unable to reverse engineer Dakir technology, with their level of technology and resources, it can't be done?

See how I can just mention the name of an alien race (randomly rolled up or not) and it also fits the sentence as Naruni?

You said it yourself, smokescreen. For you to stop trying to create one would be appreciated.

Hardly. My point was that while the book states that on Rifts Earth Naruni tech. is "the best", In the Phase World line we see phase technology and (mentioned) Legion Tech. - both of which can be found on Rifts Earth, and is canon. Canon contradicts itself; this alone (as well as my examples of randomly rolled HU alien races) offer that while Naruni might have the largest presence as a high-tech. sales branch, they most assuredly are not the highest tech.

Samored II wrote:
Just because Naruni sells some tech that is considered "the best" on Rifts earth, doesn't make it so.

According to the canon it does.

Canon contradicts itself, as noted above. This means my point still stands.

Samored II wrote:

Another poor attempt at a smokescreen.

You wish. The fact of the matter is that KS himself can say that Chipwell Armaments is thee most high-tech manufacturer, with the most high-tech. goods in the Megaverse, but until we see the crunch behind that, it stands as false.

As I was saying, the JA-9 is a better piece of equipment than anything Naruni has to offer thanks to price, range, and ammo. efficiency, as well as another cheese factor.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This isn't going anywhere.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”