Are Super-powers in Magic weapons/objects Ok?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Are Super-powers in Magic weapons/objects Ok?

Unread post by gaby »

I like to put super-powers in my Magic weapons/objects do you think that is O.k?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Re: Are Super-powers in Magic weapons/objects Ok?

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would not allow actual super powers to be built into any magic weapons except Rune weapons and objects, which would then fall into the Enchanted Weapons or Enchanted Objects category. And I would be very careful about handing these things out.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Well, they're a staple of Heroes Unlimited games - that's a whole power category right there. If you're talking Rifts, I'd be leery of doing so - a lot of super powers don't scale very well. They're either going to dominate a game from level one, or its going to be a long time before their power is at a comparative level to other Rifts classes.

If you're considering giving an object that grants super powers to someone who already has another OCC, I wouldn't.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

gaby wrote:I like to put super-powers in my Magic weapons/objects do you think that is O.k?

See HU2 main book.
See PU2 Immortals section under personal weapons.

These would have to be "PC's can't make them items". But essecially they are a part of canon, so I have no problem with them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Look at the "Sword Bearer" in Nightbane. Some of the things those weapons can do are definately major power level.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Magic/Enchanted items in Pal. games are kind of rare and lame. If for example you allow a pair of boots that grant the Sonic Speed power, you're talking greatest rune item level. I mostly play Rifts, and don't own the PFRPG book, but I have yet to see a list of magic items I was impressed with (even in the black vault supplement).
Still you're coming at this from a super-hero angle, and imho HU is the 800lb. gorilla of the megaverse. Some of those characters, converted to Rifts, render all other "_______ o.c.c. is broken!" complaints into mere echoes.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Khanibal
Hero

killgore wrote:Try giving regular boots of Fleetness to someone with extrodinary or sonic speed.

I don't know what those are, but I can tell you're a sick, sick man. :-D
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Khanibal wrote:
killgore wrote:Try giving regular boots of Fleetness to someone with extrodinary or sonic speed.

Actually, casting either Magical-Adrenal Rush or Fleet Feet on a super speedster would be even better.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Khanibal
Hero

Good grief. 1000 mph+ on foot.
MDC cross-trainers anyone?

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

killgore wrote:
Khanibal wrote:

Boots of Fleetness or the speed powers?
BoF are in the PF main book in the Alchemist section, and grant a permanent (as long as the boots are worn) Fleet Feet on the wearer. :-D

It gets even better if you’re running on a ley line, which enhances the magic on the boots.
:lol:

According to the my copy, all they do is double the wearer's natural speed.
Khanibal
Hero

meep-meep!

Khanibal
Hero

Yea, I like crazies. I wouldn't let one marry my sister (if I had a sister), but some of my best friends are crazies.
:D

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

So your saying Major powers will be too much,but minor powers can wokr.

O.k thank you.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

I think tgha twould be possible, after all we have Super-invetion too. And a TW item fit the role of Super-Invention. Still that would be experimental, expensive in temr of gems required and PPE needed to make ti work, and generally beyond the ability of an average player Technowizard
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

While our group does allow an enchanter class that allows them to craft magical items, the rule was only runes weapons/objects can imbue super powers or psionics. and While our groups has never allowed PC to be able to learn runes, they usually know a Lizardmage who does. he would require a being that had the super power or psionic on top of the other component and payment he requires to craft rune items.(a great way to drive the story is getting all the components and payments for rune items, not something that can be found or obtain easily)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”