Ocean Depths ... Question .

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Ocean Depths ... Question .

Unread post by Lenwen »

Ok I know that when you dive deep every 30-35ft is equal to another atmosphere of pressure on the human body .

So my question is simply put .. Exactly how much pressure at sea lvl is equal to 1 atmosphere ?

1lb ? 2lb ? 3lb ?

And is there anyone who knows of a good site for such a thing ?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Ocean Depths ... Question .

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

33 feet of water = 1 atmosphere
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

33ft of water depth equates to 14lbs of pressure added .. and every other 33ft deeper you go you simply add 14 more lbs of pressure per square inch ..

Dead boy armor = 120mdc ...

What would be the crush depth for the average Dead Boy armor ?

Since you could stomp CS deadboy armor with weights over several tons (that I have read on the baords an the wearer survives that stomp )

at 2500+feet depth the Pressure is something like 1060lbs per square inch ... which is no where near the "alleged" 2 tons that a stomp that some Robots can easily inflict ..

so what would be the crush wieght of a standard suit of Deadboy armor ?
Granpafishy
D-Bee

Unread post by Granpafishy »

As per Rifts WB07 Underseas page 10;
Humans with F.E.B.A. and a helium/oxygen mix can reach depths of 850 feet
Normal borgs & power armors reach depths of 450 feet
Deep-sea PA & Cyborgs reach depths of 1000~2000feet

Presumably the normal PA & borgs could go to a deeper depth if they also has the helium/oxygen mix
"The only Sane people in the world are those that are iNsAnE, and know it."
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Lenwen wrote:33ft of water depth equates to 14lbs of pressure added .. and every other 33ft deeper you go you simply add 14 more lbs of pressure per square inch ..

Dead boy armor = 120mdc ...

What would be the crush depth for the average Dead Boy armor ?

Since you could stomp CS deadboy armor with weights over several tons (that I have read on the baords an the wearer survives that stomp )

at 2500+feet depth the Pressure is something like 1060lbs per square inch ... which is no where near the "alleged" 2 tons that a stomp that some Robots can easily inflict ..

so what would be the crush wieght of a standard suit of Deadboy armor ?

Keep in mind the saying "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". This very much applies to what you are trying to find out. When a suit of armor starts getting too deep, it's weak spots, i.e. joints, will breech far sooner than the chest plate or what not.

As far as pressure goes, just do the math.

At a depth of 500' this is your pressure:

500 / 33 = 15.15
total atmospheres = 16.15 (that's 15.15 + 1 for the air above the water)
total pressure (I believe this is psi, so correct me if I am wrong) =
16.15 x 14.696 = 237.34 psi
total pressure applied to one square foot = 237.34 x 144 = 34176.96 (17.09 tons)
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Granpafishy wrote:As per Rifts WB07 Underseas page 10;
Humans with F.E.B.A. and a helium/oxygen mix can reach depths of 850 feet
Normal borgs & power armors reach depths of 450 feet
Deep-sea PA & Cyborgs reach depths of 1000~2000feet

Presumably the normal PA & borgs could go to a deeper depth if they also has the helium/oxygen mix

I believe the amounts for F.E.B.A. are a typo on that page. I believe I saw it somewhere else listed at 350'. I will have to check when I have time. Think about it: Why would standard environmental body armor be able to dive almost twice as deep as power armor?
Granpafishy
D-Bee

I was going by what the book said. And if you notice, I did make mention that PAs should be able reach the same depths if they use the Helium/Oxygen mix.

In an attempt to clarify that statement: The above are depths that a human can "survive" at, not the breeching point of the armors.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Granpafishy wrote:I was going by what the book said. And if you notice, I did make mention that PAs should be able reach the same depths if they use the Helium/Oxygen mix.

In an attempt to clarify that statement: The above are depths that a human can "survive" at, not the breeching point of the armors.

Gotcha
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I just had a thought: should breathing mix really matter for someone in EBA / PA? The only reason divers need heliox etc. is because their bodies are being exposed to ambient pressure; submarine crews breathe normal air at standard pressure, regardless of dive depth, and I'd assume environmental armor would act more like a submarine than a wetsuit... :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Granpafishy
D-Bee

Qev wrote:I just had a thought: should breathing mix really matter for someone in EBA / PA? The only reason divers need heliox etc. is because their bodies are being exposed to ambient pressure; submarine crews breathe normal air at standard pressure, regardless of dive depth, and I'd assume environmental armor would act more like a submarine than a wetsuit... :lol:

This is speculation on my part: The reason being is that neither EBA nor PA are fully hard suits. If you look at the pictures that are in the books, you will see that around the joins is flexible. So while they may be pressurized, they are not a solid unyielding surface all over like modern day subs. If they were, either there would be massive penalties to movement due to the joints (see mondern day hard suits), or you would not be able to move the joints with out supernatural strength.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”