The Coalition States & Free Quebec

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

roguewood
D-Bee

The Coalition States & Free Quebec

Unread post by roguewood »

Can anyone help answer this question? Why did Free Quebec hoard all the Glitter boy technology insted of sharing it with the coalition? I know that's there ace card, but wouldn't it be easier to share the tech. and wipe the continent clean of d-bee's magic users & monsters? I don't know maybe I missed something. One more thing i'm just wondering why the coalition never made there own version, I mean they've been around for ever right?
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Re: The Coalition States & Free Quebec

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Well , for once Free queebeq like tot hink itself as not exactly part of coalition but as an indepedent ally. While they agree that humankind had to defend itself, they are two independent kingdoms with personal agendas to run. And sharing too much technology is not something they would do too easily, if ever.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

Mainly because they quickly saw the writing on the wall after Joesph Prosek I came to power after the Campaign of Blood. They were uncomfortable with one man holding so much power. In effect the FQ government liked having their own ace in the hole just in case. When Karl announced himself Emperor; they became very worried as all of their concerns where brushed aside in the name of state security.

Prior to their succession, GB's from FQ were part of the joint CS army. They trained together, fought together, and were repaired by the CS. So the CS never needed to make their own. Free Quebec hoarded the knowledge to create GB's but not their use. So they already had FQ's. Besides the GB is powerful but not versatile...well until FQ redesigned them. And Karl likes uniformity in his forces image, and the GB didn't match the Death's Head theme.
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I've always wondered why they didn't just make a Death's Head Glitterboy.

~ Josh
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Free quebec has the ability to put chrome on vehicles, like the glitterboy transport. Triax also has this capability as demonstrated by the Dragonwings. The CS has the capability to make the chrome armor, but I think they find it too cost prohibitive to do so. 4 SAMAS vs. 1 Glitterboy?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Free quebec has the ability to put chrome on vehicles, like the glitterboy transport. Triax also has this capability as demonstrated by the Dragonwings. The CS has the capability to make the chrome armor, but I think they find it too cost prohibitive to do so. 4 SAMAS vs. 1 Glitterboy?

Actually, no.

Triax got the technology from Quebec as part of their trade agreement.

Quebec never shared their GB technology with the CS, which infuriated Chi-Town when they found out about FQ sharing said technology with a foreign power.

~ Josh
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... I thought Prosek didn't want the GB's incorporated into the CS army because they were a symbol of Free Quebec's rebellous attitude. It was a political / psychological ploy to make Quebec conform to CS standards.

(Reference the orginal RMB description of GB's.)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

roguewood wrote:Can anyone help answer this question? Why did Free Quebec hoard all the Glitter boy technology insted of sharing it with the coalition? I know that's there ace card, but wouldn't it be easier to share the tech. and wipe the continent clean of d-bee's magic users & monsters? I don't know maybe I missed something. One more thing i'm just wondering why the coalition never made there own version, I mean they've been around for ever right?

A) Because, just like Quebec of today in our world, they are really very much a hardy "Do it ourselves" kinda peoples and they Only made deals with Prosek/CS cuz they wished to stay safe. The CS on the other hand is a Very over the top, dominating kind of governmet, one that likes everyone to "Play by their rules" even when those rules make your Guts sick.

B) Some of those rules I'm talking about are, Inclusion of Dog Boy & genetic mod tech, which the peeps in FQ find inhumane and disgusting in the extream. FB doesn't like or trust Mutants of Any kind (which includes Psychics)... Neither does the CS, but the CS IS hippacritical in the extream and Will USE such people. Psychics in the CS zones are treated like second class citizens (and dispite propaganda, Not much better if they join the CS military). In FQ these people (mutants of ALL KINDS), mages and what not, are disliked and booted out, but FQ Still has pitty for many of these people and doesn't mind it that they live as long as it is away from them<FQ>.
So they Hate how over the top hate filled and abusive to "differant folks" the CS is.
The CS ALSO loves to boss others around to the point of DICTATING to other allies how everthing should be, to the point of (In effect) telling Other Allied states that "You belong to Us". Thats NOT what Allie means... And FQ knows it.
Iron Heart doesn't care as they are even More bitter and vindictive that Chi-Town, and Missouri NEEDS Chi-Town. Texis was FOUNDED by Chi-Town and is nothing more than an extention of Chi-Towns lower extremity...
You know the One!
;)

C) Quebec has ALWAYS used the Glitter Boy and IT, and not the (at the time Non-existent) CS was the thing that got them through day and Cataclysm! The CS HATES that fact and, as at least one other person here pointed out already, the CS wants EVERY human to believe that it was They, The CS, that pulled the peoples up out of the hell that was the Age of Darkness. FQ sees this as a Lie and doesn't feel that Humanity would be Best surved by such lies.

D) That last line gives One more reason why FQ in't on super term with the CS, they are not as much behind the "ALL CHILDREN LEFT EDUCATIONALY BEHIND" rule that Prosek supports with his "Illiteracy Program". Books remind one of their down falls <CS hates this fact> but Also of it's Triumph-which the heads of FQ don't mind as much.

Mostly tho', FQ is just very much independant and Knew that the CS would, one day, try to overthrow them... So the build up just made alotta sence.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

The Coalition never wanted Gliterboy technology.
They wanted FQ to drop the Glitterboy and use Coalition standard vehicles.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Dr. Doom III wrote:The Coalition never wanted Gliterboy technology.

Right.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:The Coalition never wanted Gliterboy technology.

Right.

Yes.

CS is very much against "pre-rifts technology", touting it as dangerous. Glitterboys are famous Pre-rifts weapons, where as Samas (for some reason unknown to me) are unheard of. It was mentioned in...new west(?) with the sidewinder samas the black-market makes that they know the CS would be very angry if it got out the SAMAS they used were prerifts technology...it's also why CS is so hell-bent on destorying them.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

dark brandon wrote:CS is very much against "pre-rifts technology", touting it as dangerous. Glitterboys are famous Pre-rifts weapons, where as Samas (for some reason unknown to me) are unheard of. It was mentioned in...new west(?) with the sidewinder samas the black-market makes that they know the CS would be very angry if it got out the SAMAS they used were prerifts technology...it's also why CS is so hell-bent on destorying them.

If I understand correctly, SAMAS were brand new at the time of the Rifts, and the primary variants were shiny. Take a suit that's relatively unknown (Glitterboys are famous for being pre-Rifts), and looks a bit different than its pre-Rifts incarnation, and you've got a useful suit, especially in a situation where you control history.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
WhiteKnight
D-Bee

Unread post by WhiteKnight »

Mark Hall wrote:
dark brandon wrote:CS is very much against "pre-rifts technology", touting it as dangerous. Glitterboys are famous Pre-rifts weapons, where as Samas (for some reason unknown to me) are unheard of. It was mentioned in...new west(?) with the sidewinder samas the black-market makes that they know the CS would be very angry if it got out the SAMAS they used were prerifts technology...it's also why CS is so hell-bent on destorying them.

If I understand correctly, SAMAS were brand new at the time of the Rifts, and the primary variants were shiny. Take a suit that's relatively unknown (Glitterboys are famous for being pre-Rifts), and looks a bit different than its pre-Rifts incarnation, and you've got a useful suit, especially in a situation where you control history.

Also weren't Glitterboys a well known Weapon System of NEMA? Thats probably not a memory that the Prosek's wanted invoked
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I think they didn't share the tech mainly because of a fear of the CS lack of education programs for its people and insane laws. Why help them rule the North America if its not a culture you care to embrace. Free Quebec are all well educated and quit liberal on a lot of subjects, while CS forces their hard line views & laws on everyone. I never liked the idea that the CS had no GBs squads, with their resources and all the ones they confiscated and found over the years they must have a good stock pile of a few hundred hidden away somewhere, maybe for a rainy day like the minion war or large Atlantis invasion or when its final time to stomp the bugs will see the rise of a CS GB devision. If the Emperor dies maybe the son will start using them and buying more from Triax. Imagine a GB modified with a Deadboy Skull Helmet look, thats a scare image.
Last edited by runebeo on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Theoretically, you could create a black glitterboy whose armor would have the same effect, though it may be cost prohibitive. Then we could have spec ops glitterboys, and maybe ol'prosek wouldn't hate them so much. God forbid he have a unit that brings a little sunshine to the world.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Few dozen GBs modified with a Deadboy Skull Helmet, think how cool a cover that would be in front of Chi-Town or getting out of a Firestorm Mobile Base. I don't care whats in the book I'm pre-ordering now. :lol:
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I have to admit it would be a startling sight to see skull headed GBs. And according to the original main book FQ only told the CS that they only had something like 2-400 of them. When in reality they had a heck of a lot more of them.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

For that answer we have to wait for Triax 2. And I hope that is quick to come out. I want to know what new things they are up too.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

roguewood wrote:Can anyone help answer this question? Why did Free Quebec hoard all the Glitter boy technology insted of sharing it with the coalition? I know that's there ace card, but wouldn't it be easier to share the tech. and wipe the continent clean of d-bee's magic users & monsters? I don't know maybe I missed something. One more thing i'm just wondering why the coalition never made there own version, I mean they've been around for ever right?

Chi-Town wanted to destroy that tech in all its forms for the more versitile Samas.

At least this is what I read a long long time ago. And they very well might have retconned this whole aspect with the new books.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

I think the CS not having GB was a balance issue for when the players have run ins with the CS and built the story around it. If GB were parts of every CS squad more players would be dead. They deal usually 3 time more damage than most robot or Samas not counting missiles. Hows any class but a giant robot or supernatural creature going to absorb that much damage and no spell or psionic power can target the pilot adds to the fun.
Last edited by runebeo on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

I can see your point Runebo and it is a very valid on indeed.

HH....FIE
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Lobo wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:But the question is what will Traix do with this besides the Glitterbo they made?

Make a 200 foot tall Glitter Boy naked Karl...

Did you mean Naked, or Named?
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

You mean the Giant-Brass-Girls-Gone-Wild one?

Aramanthus
Monk

Unless it says this officially, I'd say no to this alliance. I will not allow it in my game. I'll have the New Navy join with a power base from my own game. (Actually aleardy done over a decade ago.) Simply because the nation from my own game is a democratic power. But this is only my opinion.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”