MECH CREATION QUESTION :( HELP

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: MECH CREATION QUESTION :( HELP

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

DarkSolrac wrote:Hey every1 i have a question and need help :(

Where can i find how to create orginal Mechs, is there a Robotech/macross Book that gives you the runn down (armor, weapons, power units, limits, etc) on how to create your own mechs or am i just stuck with the premade mech in the books:(

thanks
as it currently sits. the posting of stats for new mecha is forbidden on these forums. and there are not Published Rules for Home brewed Mecha for robotech.
im sure people have published rules on the interweb, or you could use rules from rifts... if you play it as well.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

The Rifts Sourcebook 1 has rules for creating Robots. i think i could easily be used to design stuff for robotech.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

draw a picture of what you want, wing it on the numbers, then play test it.
as with all new bot/pa designs
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Robotech isn't really a setting for the adhoc designs...It ain't Gundam or Battletech, with a new design around every corner...Most hardware is the result of involved government development programs, or bloody difficult field modifications..the old Strike Force book tried to strike a balance of sorts, by offering up transition mecha and prototypes, most of which are based on existing designs, with a few extras, but with various problems and quirks as well.....
The closest there is to the sort of mix-and-match Robotech design is the non-canon Stinger, the Frankensteinian Zenttraedi mecha kitbashed together during the Malcontent Uprisings, the majority of which defied common sense, and the very best of which show the suppressed Zentraedi genuis at its sharpest....
That having been said, you'll inevitably find players wanting to push the limits by adding an extra gunpod or smothering their MAC Monster in extra armor...from simple add-ons like shoulder-mount recoilless cannons on an ASC battloid to grafted hoverjets on a Destroid...
The only real tips I can give you are take an existing design, strip it down to its chassis, then start fiddling around various add-ons from other mecha...new systems as you become more confident with your own designs...
Figure on production numbers....If you're only building one new mecha to the specs, figure on making a LOT of skill rolls to make the thing work seamlessly or balance it out with a lot of quirks and flaws...If you're building a half dozen or so, you can cut back on the flaws some...your engineers are gaining confidence and learning from their mistakes...Fifty or more, you can drop most of the flaws, unless quality control has gone on strike(or wartime pressures have forced you to put every moving gun platform and cannon-fodder unit out into the field...The Germans and Japanese did that a lot, sending fault-prone aircraft and tanks into the field and fixing the problems in subsequent refits and production models)...The big production run model isn't always possible for a small unit though(unless you're almost entirely made up of engineers with nothing else to do)...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

DarkSolrac wrote:Well here is the run down, in my campain, its not based on any exsiting story line its more based on the idea of certain pilots being the only ones able to man the mechs (like the Gundam Wing seris and Neon Genesis Evangelion) where they must use the mechs to combat alien monsters, unmaned automated suits, etc. 100% original bad guys and universe they are gonna be space and terrian suits (like gundam wing) i just want a template to create original mechs is all but from what i gather i will have to come up with my own stuff.

Well then I would suggest you get Rifts Sourcebook One (revised or original, revised is better though), and Galaxy Guide from the Heroes unlimited line. Both have a lot of stuff you can use.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
yell0w_lantern
D-Bee

Unread post by yell0w_lantern »

A workable substitute for those books would be D20 mecha from Guardians of Order. Type their web address into the wayback machine at the internet archive and you can download the SRD version in Word - make any changes you want. Transformable mecha need about 2000 mecha points. Workable non-transforming robots can use about 1/2 that. You'll need to fudge factor the HP or add extra mecha points to make up for it since Palladium mecha use strictly ablative MDC. I use a fudge factor of 5.

For robot combat bonuses use the Robotech ones as a guideline, use the generic ones from Rifts Ultimate or just go by the point buy method in the D20 Mecha book but it doesn't have parry bonuses and a couple other things.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”