Magic Armor in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Re: Magic Armor in Rifts

Unread post by Seneca »

Are you talking about the noiseless, weightless, glow on command armor ala Palladium Fantasy or TW stuff?

Your run of the mill wizard's armor is simply a combination of mega damage leather and a few bits of ceramic (vambraces, collar, strategic plating). Basically anything that is naturally mega-damage material: from insect plates, dinosaur hides, or Millennium Tree leaves and bark can be made into a mage's armor combined with a few peices of modern armor. A full suit of regular environmental armor, however, increases the cost and lowers the duration/power of magic cast by those who wear it.

Dwemnomer uses a lot of fury beetle plates in their insect themed armor for instance.
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Most likely you're looking for a TW enhancement, which won't be permanent. The character must activate the feature. For straight up damage absorbtion, try the Armor of Ithan spell.

For examples, try:
Pages 153 to 156 of "Rifts: Merc Ops"
Pages 85 to 88 of "Madhaven"
Page 96 of the original Rifts main book
Pages 91 to 92, and 97 of "Dinosaur Swamp"
and there's a whole passel of stuff you can use for inspiration in "Chapter One: Siege on Tolkeen".
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Permanently Enchanted Armor is a pretty rare occurrence in the Rifts Module; in PFRPG, you can't walk halfway down the street without tripping over one (and with good reason; I think that as a whole, if Rifts Earth had all the magic that PFRPG does, and it was as common, it would very likely overbalance the setting in Magic's favor). As it is, most Armor in Rifts consists of "activate the armor's special property and it will protect from X for a limited period of time" sort of thing.

Hell, it's probably easier and cheaper to get your Armor/Shields enchanted to be indestructible** in PFRPG than it is to save up and buy your own Glitter Boy in Rifts!!

** Here I'm just assuming as I don't have every PFRPG Book, not by a longshot; however, there are "average" PCs and NPCs running around here and there with indestructible armor and shields and the cost (in gold) to get a weapon enchanted is relatively small.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Magic Armor is not really all that common in Rifts. After all who wants to spend 100 million credits on something that will get shredded the next time you get into a firefight.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Zerebus wrote:Seriously, heavy combat games tend to make players run through their armor quickly.

Not if you bring your armor to Magical Mack's TW Shoppe! For only 9200 credits I can add a TW device to your armor based off the Mend the Broken spell found on p108 of the Book of Magic.

Device Level 1 (Mend the Broken, 5th Level Invocation)
Requirement: 10 carats Amber
Effect: Repairs 10 MDC of damage to the armor (Note, armor must have at least 20% of it's original MDC remaining)
PPE to activate: Only 16 PPE!!
Total Cost to build: 9200 credits

Now for all you mages out there thinking, "That's great Magical Mack, but after a battle I won't have any PPE left to fix my armor with!" Don't fear, I've got just the upgrade for you. For only an additional 36,000 credits, I can add a PPE reservior that holds 3 complete charges for repairs. That's right, 30 MDC worth of repairs just ready and waiting for your command!
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hell just use spary steel from PW. Its armor in a can.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The Mystic Power Armor from the original core book is so awesome and with the update on the superhuman strength spell the armor provides supernatural P.S. I like how other T.W. armors can only have 4 T.W. upgrades, but this armor has 12 enhancements and only one needs P.P.E. to regenerate the armor. The armor the power lords of Atlantis can have almost as many abilities but cost P.P.E. to use.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

runebeo wrote:I like how other T.W. armors can only have 4 T.W. upgrades, but this armor has 12 enhancements and only one needs P.P.E. to regenerate the armor.

One thing to keep in mind is that is not a "rule" but a "rule of thumb."

Merc Ops has several TW suits that exceed four improvements.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.

Return to “Rifts®”