Updated: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival (w/ notes!)

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Updated: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival (w/ notes!)

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Maybe I'm in the wrong spot for this (in '06 and '07 there seemed to be lots of these threads...), but I'm just sounding people out to see if the following game would be worthwhile for me to run at the POH 09. I'm willing to drop the couple hundred bucks needed for the props and equipment, if there are people who want to play.

ZOMBOCALYPSE RISING

System: Dead Reign

Flair: With terrain and miniatures.

Duration: 2.5 hours. (An intro period to get acquainted, then the chaos!)

Plot: The players are a small knot of survivors, whose safehaven farm community has been discovered and is being overrun by the zombie hordes. Trapped in the small collection of stone buildings in the center of the community, the players must build barricades, hunker down, and keep the zombies back until the cavalry arrives. Success will be measured by surviving until the end of the 2.5 hour (real-time) period!

Additional Info: A medium sized table area will be laid out, complete with terrain, buildings, props, and miniatures, representing various strategic and tactical opportunities. The zombie horde will be a real horde, which you will be able to see closing in, coming closer every minute something isn't done about it. I'm not a rules-nazi wargamer or anything, I just love the added feel of actually seeing the situation, and being able to visualize your moves without having to ask 20 questions. Pre-Gens will be provided, with appropriate miniatures.

Twist: Players who die in sufficiently cool or selfless manners, and who wish to stick around, may be able to return as "Thinker" zombies, and help guide the undead attack on their former allies!

My GM style: I have three mental checks for most things when I'm running a game: 1) Is it logical. 2) Is it cool. 3) Is it "in balance." If the answer is yes to at least two of those, game on.

Other info about me: This is my 20th year playing Palladium games, and my 4th using miniatures/terrain to enhance things.

Drop me a reply, feedback and questions completely welcome.

------EDIT-------

For Sneak Preview photos added 03/24, jump to this post below!

------SECOND EDIT-------

For Playtest Notes added 04/24, jump to this post below!

The game schedule is the next post after that link, as well.
Last edited by J. Lionheart on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am, edited 12 times in total.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I played with Evan at OH 2007 "Valley of the Pharaohs" and he's a great GM. I hope you are planning to run this one multiple times across the OH!!!

The DR setup sounds awesome. Check out www.rpgnow.com for companies that make PDFs of buildings, zombies and modern heroes. I have no artistic skill, but friends who do print them out, paste them to cardboard and voila they have cool buildings and dozens of disposable minis for barely any expense.
Mierin
D-Bee

Unread post by Mierin »

Oooh, that *does* sound cool! :D
"They say that all the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everyone is adlibbing their lines! Maybe that's why it's so hard to figure out if we're in a tragedy or a farce. We need more special effects and dance numbers." -- Calvin & Hobbes
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Hmm, looks like this may be worth doing. I'll start acquiring stuff, and will dig out the event submission contact.

Spinachcat: Thanks for the VotP compliment :-) As for running it multiple times, maybe I can do a variant version on a second day, changing around the layout or something. I don't presume I'm going to draw unstoppable crowds of people to my game, given what I'm sure will be myriad options, but if enough folks want it, I'd be delighted to run it a couple times :-D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It's always hard to say for sure with these things, because sometimes two (or more) different games that I want to be in are going on at the same time.

But this sounds awesome, and unless there's something even awesomer somehow, count me in.
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Huggthedwarf wrote:That would be exceptional! I'm sure it would be a great game and I'd be all for it. Are the pre-gens going to be a gaggle of survivors classes or just one OCC?

At this point I'm looking at having a group that are predominantly Survivors, though I'm likely to have a couple Scroungers, Shepards, and/or Soldiers available as well, with skills and M.O.S.s specifically chosen to provide certain tactical options to the players. I don't anticipate bringing Houndmasters, Reapers, or Half-Living in as players, as they are very specialized, and are a bit out of place in a static-defense one-off.

I'm in the midst of writing up the game submission and sending it in to get on the schedule - planning on trying to run the scenario twice, with a "Day 1" and "Day 2" version. Same concept for each, but I'll rearrange the table, move buildings, and change enemy approach patterns to create a new feel.

Props are already being purchased and are on the way :-) I'm pretty stoked about a couple of them!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Huggthedwarf wrote:Is this game going to be first come, first serve or can we sign up?

If it's handled like previous years, there will be sign-up sheets at the open house, in a prominent location. There should also be a schedule of all games released in advance, so you can plan your days. While I don't think it should be too difficult to sign up at the POH, if you want to commit to one of the run throughs without even knowing the dates and times (I don't know them, myself), I'm certainly willing to guarantee you a spot :-)
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I'm in!
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

mumah wrote:I'm in!

Delighted to hear it! :-) A pleasure to have one of the original DR artists aboard :-)

Huggthedwarf wrote:Yeah, I should be there Fri-Sun, and I'd like to be in one of the first runs. This is going to be my first OH, and I can't wait to go. I haven't been there since the move (moved Kevin's massive desk, played a late robotech game with Carmen GMing- awesome) and I'd love to be in this game. Sign me up!

Cool, cool. I asked for back-to-back days, and expressed a preference for Fri/Sat, so we should mesh well.
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

sounds like fun
Buck the System
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Sneak Preview Photos attached.

Be advised, the layout isn't complete, nor are all miniatures or props present. This is just some initial hints at what's to come :-)

2 vs 3. You can handle that, right?

How about 2 vs 3 dozen?

No help from the roof, he's got his own issues!

Your base is being overrun. Will you survive?
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival (Now w/ sneak preview)

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The pics look great! BTW, if you are ever looking for burnt out buildings whose interiors scale with 28mm, check out the cardboard ones for Mordheim.

I recognize the 'clix, but what game are the zombs from?

I believe you are going to get huge interest for this so be ready to run a bunch of scenarios and groups!

How many players can you handle at once - that make sense considering they would have to manuever around the minis table?

Are you doing 1 character per person?

Are they out of the game when they die or are there backup NPCs?

How are you translating Speed to Inches/Centimeters for the game table?

Are you planning to have all the zombs (of the same type) on the same Initiative or do you have a plan to break them up?

How are you doing line of sight? Eyeballing, laser pointer, base to base, or center of fig to center of fig?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

@ Galen - Looking forward to it!

@ Spinachcat - Thanks for all the great questions! I'm delighted to see your interest in the game. I remember having you in my Valley of the Pharaohs game in '07 - it was a pleasure, and I definitely hope to GM for you again this year :-) Answers below.

Spinachcat wrote:The pics look great! BTW, if you are ever looking for burnt out buildings whose interiors scale with 28mm, check out the cardboard ones for Mordheim.

Thanks for the tip :-) I'm actually going with all painted resin/plaster/gypsum cast buildings, for realistic look and feel. They're the sort of thing I'll use repeatedly at home. The roads are flocked wood, the hills are molded and flocked rubber, and the trees are from the local model train shop. The "generator" sticking out of the roof shot is an actual motor, and weighs several pounds. I wish the mat had a bit more dynamic to the coloration, but it'll do.

I recognize the 'clix, but what game are the zombs from?

The horde zombies are HeroScape. They were the only prepainted zombies I could find in sufficient quantities that fit the setting. Now that I have them, I kinda like them, and may order some more (I like my hordes to really be HORDES). The Clix are for the abberations/uniques (and maybe... others? hint hint), while the hordes are the Slouchers.

I believe you are going to get huge interest for this so be ready to run a bunch of scenarios and groups!

I hope so! I've requested 2 time slots, and can easily enough run it as a pick-up if enough people so desire.

How many players can you handle at once - that make sense considering they would have to manuever around the minis table?

I'm hoping to have a roughtly 4x6 foot table, depending on what is available for use at the Open House (I'm waiting to hear back). It can be up to 4.5x8 feet. The scenario can handle probably as many as 10 people. Spacewise, 10 is probably pushing it for a 2-3 hour block, 8 would probably be more comfortable. As few as 6 people should be able to handle it.

Are you doing 1 character per person?

Yes

Are they out of the game when they die or are there backup NPCs?

Players who die in sufficiently cool or selfless manners, and who wish to stick around, may be able to return as "Thinker" zombies, and help guide the undead attack on their former allies. Players not wishing to become zombies will be out - the name of the game is survival for a given time period, and if the living keep respawning, it's kind of moot. Every loss will make it even harder to avoid further losses :twisted:

How are you translating Speed to Inches/Centimeters for the game table?

It will be rough approximations, mostly. I dislike anything that slows down the action too much, and sitting there with a ruler definitely does that. One of the joys of pregens is that I control the Spd attributes of the characters, and obviously, for the NPC's. I'll cluster the speeds in groups, and things will probably be moving in increments of about 3 inches. Slow things, 3 inches. Normal things, 6 inches. Running, or special powers, 9 inches. The distances are going to be a matter of eyeballing and approximating. I won't waste players' time measuring out dozens of zombies over and over again, in exchange for which, I ask everybody's forgiveness if movements are a hair over or under any given turn.

Are you planning to have all the zombs (of the same type) on the same Initiative or do you have a plan to break them up?

I am in favor of group init for the zombies. If a small local fight develops between a couple players and a couple zombies, individual initiative may be used just for those couple, but the great masses of the zombies will move, well, as a great mass. I'll already have a clipboard with several pages of roster lines for all of the myriad undead, tracking their health. Dozens of individual initiatives would be slow and boring for everybody. I'm planning to individually number the zombie figures with model paint on their bases, allowing easy tracking on my roster of their vitals. That way the bodyshots, cleaved off arms, non-fatal headshots, and all that goodness can be easily followed, without arguement.

How are you doing line of sight? Eyeballing, laser pointer, base to base, or center of fig to center of fig?

Eyeballing line of sight is by far the fastest, easiest, and most logical in my mind. Tuck one's eye to table level, and take a look. I employ it exclusively.

Basically, this is a Palladium game, so I'm trying to avoid slowing it down or over-muddling it with a bunch of technical Wargaming stuff. The rules I want people focusing on are my 3 cardinal points - Is it logical, is it cool, and is it in balance. Overlay that on PB's zombie combat rules, add some visuals to represent the Dead Reign setting, and game on.
Last edited by J. Lionheart on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

This just sounds so P-I-M-P that I wanna slap myself! I wanna play! Damn, where's the sign-up sheets for all these games!
ImageImageImage
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

so want to play this ......would kill for the chance, and feed on brains :lol:
Buck the System
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

The Game Master wrote:This just sounds so P-I-M-P that I wanna slap myself! I wanna play! Damn, where's the sign-up sheets for all these games!

Haha, thanks :-P Yeah, I'm getting eager for the sign-up sheets too, I want to start planning my days.

I'm hoping we don't overlap too badly, I'd like to play in your Escape from College! game.

Lucas wrote:so want to play this ......would kill for the chance, and feed on brains :lol:

Brains will be served both hot and cold, accompanying tea :-P
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

sweetness
Buck the System
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

J. Lionheart wrote:
The Game Master wrote:This just sounds so P-I-M-P that I wanna slap myself! I wanna play! Damn, where's the sign-up sheets for all these games!

Haha, thanks :-P Yeah, I'm getting eager for the sign-up sheets too, I want to start planning my days.

I'm hoping we don't overlap too badly, I'd like to play in your Escape from College! game.

Yeah, I'm frakking ITCHING for Wayne to publish a games schedule here on the forums like he did for the last Open House.

Ya hear that NMI, Wayne? :? :-D

Query: Are you planning on using the canon rules or some tweaking of them?
ImageImageImage
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

The Game Master wrote:Query: Are you planning on using the canon rules or some tweaking of them?

Haha, well, ask Spinachcat about the difference between what I say and what I do, but... I claim to be a "by the book" GM. Of course, one of the rules in the book is to ignore or modify any other rules in the book that you don't like.

More specifically:

- I'll do my best to stick with the canon rules for Zombie Combat. The strike rolls required for headshots, rules for called shots, etc, will be the rules from Dead Reign.

- I also generally try to follow the book rules for other things, such as skills, grappling, damage, etc. However, rules in RPG's are guideance designed to provide a platform from which to extrapolate. Most of all, it is important to have fun. Things that get in the way of that will be modified, within reason, until they are no longer in the way.

- The most important rules for me are "Is it logical," "Is it cool," and "Is it in balance." If the answer to those is yes, I'll allow it. If the answer is no, especially to the first and third ones, it doesn't fly at my table.

----------

The analogy I've always used is that a campaign is like an entire season of a TV show, and individual games are like specific episodes. Each episode has it's own story arc and can be followed by itself, but also contributes to a much bigger arc for the whole season. With a one-off game, you have to wrap things up in a single package, so it's more like a movie. I enjoy all sorts of genres - thrillers, docu-dramas, epic sagas, etc. This particular game will be an action movie. Lots of explosive gun battles, lots of quick actions, overwhelming odds, heroic rescues, and occasional artistic license that lets the hero or villain pull off incredible feats that (hopefully) leave you going "wow."
Last edited by J. Lionheart on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

you will be using pre gen chars right
Buck the System
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Lucas wrote:you will be using pre gen chars right

Absolutely.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Augur »

Awesome, I was planning the same (with pre-gens, of course) but wondering how much other GMs were modding the combat rules for DR. Thanks for the input, I'll see you there!
<--Bald guy wearing Explorers Unlimited T-shirt
ImageImageImage
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

so can we sign up in advance...or is that a no no
Buck the System
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Lucas wrote:so can we sign up in advance...or is that a no no

Sign up sheets are avialable on a bulitin board and are done on a first come first serve basis.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

PLAYTEST NOTES

Playtest was completed last night, and the props were shipped today. Things are looking good!

Observations and stats from the playtest (done with 6 characters):

1) Unorganized groups are zombie food.

2) The by-the-book zombies are harder than they look.

3) A good mix of called shots and body shots is key.

4) Keep an eye on your ammunition!

5) Players continue to surprise me with plans they come up with.

6) Running over two hours of high-speed combat is both exhilerating and exhausting.

7) Just because rescue has arrived, doesn't mean the players can get to it.

The run was very exciting. Introduction, setting the scene, and questions took the about 30 minutes. Combat was then launched, and we were in a continous slug-fest for the next 2 hours. At first, the players were rapidly overwhelmed, as they divided their attention among too many targets, and the zombies got in close. Desperate melee engagements sprung up at the wall, in a doorway, and in the courtyard, which the players finally triumphed in by pulling together as a team. As the next wave of Zack's came in, the players concentrated their fire more, and were able to hold their own against the targets, even when a couple surprise visitors made appearances. A final huge wave came slamming in moments before the rescue chopper approached at the 2 hour mark, and despite it touching down in a relatively protected spot, it still took over 30 minutes before the players were able to execute a successful tactical retreat to it, and get aboard. At the time of their escape, several players were down to their final ammo magazine, and one only had 9 bullets left in her submachine gun standing between her and oblivion. Two of the party were in desperate need of medical attention (including the medic himself, who was high on morphine from his own kit by the time he was hauled in to the chopper), and quite a bit of equipment had to be left on the battlefield. Total run time was a hair over 3 hours.

Total munitions expended:

330 Bullets/Shells
-5.56mm: 126
-9mm: 80
-.45: 35
-.308: 33
-.44 Magnum: 24
-.7.62mm: 15
-.12 Gauge: 7
-5.7mm: 5
-.300 Win Mag: 5

7 Grenades
-M67: 3
-40mm: 2 (from the party's M203)
-Smoke: 2

1 Crossbow Bolt

Casualties:

Total Players Killed: 0
Total Players Injured: 6
Total Players Unharmed: 0

Total Zombies Killed: 25
Total Zombies Injured: ~20
Total Zombies Unharmed: Millions(?)

I can't wait to run this at the POH. See you there!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival (Now w/ Playtest Notes!)

The schedule has been released! For all the interested parties who were wondering what time these games will be:

Round 1

Friday, 4pm - 7pm

Round 2

Saturday, 2pm - 5pm

Hope to see you there!
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Re: Updated: POH 09: Zombocalypse Survival (w/ notes!)

Unread post by Scrud »

Hope I can get in sounds awsome
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Return to “Palladium Open House”