Stacking Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Stacking Spells

Unread post by Grandil »

Here's a hot topic: Does anyone stack their Spells-Not same spells, different spells-Like Magical
Adrenal Rush, & Sorcerous Fury, et al....
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Stacking Spells

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

if you mean cast some spells right after each other to have their effects amalgamated. Not ussually, unless the opponent be a "level boss".

[ BTW: Magical Adrenal Rush, & Sorcerous Fury are in the same family tree of spells.]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

ya, definitely. That's a major tactic for mages.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud

Unread post by Grandil »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:if you mean cast some spells right after each other to have their effects amalgamated. Not ussually, unless the opponent be a "level boss".

[ BTW: Magical Adrenal Rush, & Sorcerous Fury are in the same family tree of spells.]
MY underline.......
I'm not sure what you mean by Family Tree? Would the same apply to Protective Magics; ie.,
Armor of Ithan/Invulnerability/Invincible Armor? & what doya mean Level Boss? Thanx DK!
Grandil
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Grandil wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Family Tree? Would the same apply to Protective Magics; ie.,
Armor of Ithan/Invulnerability/Invincible Armor? & what doya mean Level Boss? Thanx DK!
Grandil

Both MAR and SF give the mage a magical power boost.

armor of ithan and invincible armor would be related.
Invulnerability is related to the "impervious" spells.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Crazy Lou
Hero

is that just a personal classification there? I see what you're saying, but it's not official anywhere is it?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Crazy Lou wrote:is that just a personal classification there? I see what you're saying, but it's not official anywhere is it?

he's using his own classifications.

Offically, all spells and their bonus's whatsoever stack without limit.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Crazy Lou wrote:is that just a personal classification there? I see what you're saying, but it's not official anywhere is it?

My views.

From the perspective that I'm looking for similar spells for the making a new spell according to the rules in TtGD.
Crazy Lou
Hero

k, cool, just checking.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

:badbad: I forgot to make this a Poll!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would make a few house ruled exceptions to bonus stacking via spells.A good example would be the spell Superhuman Agility,which,among other things, grants auto-dodge with a +5 bonus.The only other bonus I would allow to be added to this one is the dodge bonus granted by a high PP score. Otherwise,that spell would get out of hand quickly.A spell which increased your PP score I might allow, but the only one I know of offhand is Fleet Feet,which doubles it.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Captain Shiva wrote:I would make a few house ruled exceptions to bonus stacking via spells.A good example would be the spell Superhuman Agility,which,among other things, grants auto-dodge with a +5 bonus.The only other bonus I would allow to be added to this one is the dodge bonus granted by a high PP score. Otherwise,that spell would get out of hand quickly.A spell which increased your PP score I might allow, but the only one I know of offhand is Fleet Feet,which doubles it.

Superhuman Agility? Where? :? I think you could invent this spell-TTUs
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Grandil wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:I would make a few house ruled exceptions to bonus stacking via spells.A good example would be the spell Superhuman Agility,which,among other things, grants auto-dodge with a +5 bonus.The only other bonus I would allow to be added to this one is the dodge bonus granted by a high PP score. Otherwise,that spell would get out of hand quickly.A spell which increased your PP score I might allow, but the only one I know of offhand is Fleet Feet,which doubles it.

The spell is found,along with several other useful spells,in Mercenary Adventures.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Captain Shiva wrote:
Grandil wrote:

The spell is found,along with several other useful spells,in Mercenary Adventures.

Kick da booty :lol:
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Grandil wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote: The spell is found,along with several other useful spells,in Mercenary Adventures.

Kick da booty :lol:

..."and is probably a bit munchy."

No, Fleet Feet is the one you have to watch out for.
Crazy Lou
Hero

well what's the level and casting cost on it? B/c that might make it not munchy.

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Crazy Lou wrote:well what's the level and casting cost on it? B/c that might make it not munchy.

Level 6, 20 ppe.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Captain Shiva wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:well what's the level and casting cost on it? B/c that might make it not munchy.

Level 6, 20 ppe.

While fleet feet is worse... that's a pretty cheap spell with gigantic bonuses

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Actually, the only top of the spectrum is at least a PP-48; 51 if you extrapolate for a practical
+8 Initiative; Speed being what it is. I wonder if most GM's would allow the Doubling of super-
Speeds. Talk it out!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Casting Fleet Feet on a Juicer would be bad enough, but casting it on someone with Sonic Speed? OY!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Captain Shiva wrote:Casting Fleet Feet on a Juicer would be bad enough, but casting it on someone with Sonic Speed? OY!!

Fleet Feet does have it's penalties to it's effects.
Crazy Lou
Hero

oh, as i don't have merc adventures, i didn't know there were any penalties. that's a bit better then

and I'd probably allow someone w/ sonic speed use fleet feet but increase the penalties accordingly (now that I know there were initial ones)

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Crazy Lou wrote:oh, as i don't have merc adventures, i didn't know there were any penalties. that's a bit better then

and I'd probably allow someone w/ sonic speed use fleet feet but increase the penalties accordingly (now that I know there were initial ones)

Fleet Feet is actually found in PFRPG, not Mercenary Adventures, and the benefits far outweigh the penalties.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Captain Shiva wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:oh, as i don't have merc adventures, i didn't know there were any penalties. that's a bit better then

Fleet Feet is actually found in PFRPG, not Mercenary Adventures, and the benefits far outweigh the penalties.

-2 Initaitive, thats it
Crazy Lou
Hero

oh psh, that's a whimpy penalty for that spell... :roll:

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

gadrin wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:oh psh, that's a whimpy penalty for that spell... :roll:

Yeah, it's more like -- let the opponent attack, dodge it easily then splatter him all over the place
with WP Paired Weapons: Vibro-sabre + Neural Mace

I have a Ley Line Rifter NPC with a PP of 24, which doubles to 48 under the spell and provides him
with +17 to Strike/Parry/Dodge.

Better hope he doesn't have time to toss Superhuman Strength too :P In which case he can opt to just use
his fists.

>

How do you get a +17 from a limit of +8 on a 30?? :eek: 51 gives you +8 to Strike, parry, dodge & initiative. Gadrin
I'm munchie-really munchie, but the spell does not provide a doubling of the S, P, D, & I-just doubles the Attributes, not the bonuses. Check it ok?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

gadrin wrote:

Yeah, it's more like -- let the opponent attack, dodge it easily then splatter him all over the place

I have a Ley Line Rifter NPC with a PP of 24, which doubles to 48 under the spell and provides him

Better hope he doesn't have time to toss Superhuman Strength too :P In which case he can opt to just use
his fists.

>

If you also cast Superhuman agility,which gives auto-dodge,I am pretty sure you would have time.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Grandil wrote:
gadrin wrote:

his fists.

>

How do you get a +17 from a limit of +8 on a 30?? :eek: 51 gives you +8 to Strike, parry, dodge & initiative. Gadrin
I'm munchie-really munchie, but the spell does not provide a doubling of the S, P, D, & I-just doubles the Attributes, not the bonuses. Check it ok?

Kinda what I was thinking, only with less "!!!" tone. But he is right. Look at the bonuses for attributes over 30 in RUE. Past 30, PP only grants a bonus to initiative.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Crazy Lou wrote:
Grandil wrote:
gadrin wrote:

his fists.

>

Kinda what I was thinking, only with less "!!!" tone. But he is right. Look at the bonuses for attributes over 30 in RUE. Past 30, PP only grants a bonus to initiative.

True, Crazy Lou, True.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”