House Rule fix some of the strength problems

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

House Rule fix some of the strength problems

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

PS level_____________carry weight(lbs)___________lift weight (lbs)___________Extreme lift (lbs)
Normal_________________X 10_______________________X 20____________________X 40
Strong_________________X 20_______________________X 40____________________X 80
Extraordinary___________X 100_______________________X 200____________________X 400
Superhuman ___________X 200_______________________X 300____________________X 600
Supernatural ___________X 300_______________________X 500____________________X 1000

Carry and normal lift rule as the HU main book

New rule: Extreme lift
The character can use all there force of strength and will to lift a huge amount of weight for a short period. Well performing and extreme lift the character is unable to move or engage in combat and is defenseless. The weight must be dropped at the end of the period (or handed of to another) the character is so physically drained that for the next 10 minutes he has half his normal actions and is – 10 strike parry and dodge. The character will also drop the weight is he takes more then 50% of the damage he was capable of at the start of the lift and is unable to perform the lift at all if he has only 50% of his HP remaining. The period of time is only equal to his PE in seconds (just long enough to get a few kids of a bridge before it collapses or hold a vehicle of someone well other pull them free) and the weight is covered on the above character.

On Kittenstomp's Strength chart Supernatural PS goes up to 150
Quick math

Carry 45,000 lbs or 22.5 short tons
Lift 75,000 lbs or 37.5 short tons
Extreme lift 150,000 lbs or 75 short tons

Much closer to the extreme strength of some of comics strongest characters and there 100 tons

Dragon_blaze_99
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Re: House Rule fix some of the strength problems

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I like the Extreme Lift idea.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Captain Shiva wrote:I like the Extreme Lift idea.

Thanks
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

one person that it......
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Mephisto wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:one person that it......

Well, I like it too, but I'm wondering; is the Extreme Lift for an actual lift, or for supporting an already heavy weight? I can see a difference between the two. I have my own mechanic for such a task as you are stating, but I can definitely see the advantage of the Extreme Lift. I'd probably limit it to power combination's that make sense, such as Supernatural Strength (always a requirement) and APS: Stone or Metal, Indestructible Bones (for the "stiff arm" effect of holding great mass), Bio-Armor, Monstrous Form, Lifting Field (of course) among others...but I'd also include less obvious powers like Gravity Manipulation, Weight Manipulation, and Negative Matter as well.

I also took the concept of Perception to its logical conclusion with Athletic Feats, including Balance Feats, Leaping Feats, Strength Feats, Endurance Feats, etc. The idea is that because of so many variables, "set in stone" physical abilities may not always be accurate. It uses the same range as Perception, with a roll over mechanic of 20, with easy being four, and insane being 18 or higher. I haven't quite worked out the scaling of bonuses, but in the example of a heavy weight and holding it for a long duration, if it's near the top of the characters weight limit, it is tougher to hold for a long duration. Just my thought on the matter. Nice work on the Extreme Lift though.

I think for supporting a great weight I would use the same limit, but change the time limit the character is not burning up a lot of his/her strength to get the item of the ground, so with that being said, Maybe something along the lines of the Characters PE in Melee round if just holding the weight up.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

DarkSolrac wrote:i like the idea alot sounds cool how about them pushing beyond the limts and holding it past their PE in secs this would come with a penalty of 2 HP a sec beyond the normal limit (a hero who will not quit untill all the kids are out and safe or his friends clear the area) the strain could also put them in a seudo coma once they get past the half way marker on there HP (you can also increase the damage to HP higher if you feel its needed)

also what about robotic strength? i can see an android puttin his body on the line till is SDC gives out (mayb he is trying become more human or simply to save his creator etc)

you could do that but i think it would be close to 1 hp (or SDC for a robot) per second.

Necronomicus wrote:Necronomicus

Post subject: Re: House Rule fix some of the strength problems 

P.E. in seconds maybe.

the first one is PE in second the hold was PE in melee but after test playing i changed the support or hold a great weight I changed it to PEX3 in seconds or a melee per 5 PE
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Originally posted over on the PB Message Boards.

Frankly I been doing this fer years except I've been calling "Dead Lifting" since that's what it's technically called.
And I've had the time frame equal too ¼th the individuals PE in Actions, Remembering that Two 'Actions'=1AtPM (Attack Per Melee).

Since the SN creatures and Supers with EX PS (or greater) can go 4x's longer than normal, just use their PE score in Actions. I based it off of REAL world Dead Lifters. And Yes, going past that point/time limit causes 1% damage to them per additional ATTACK (Not action), unless a successful PE save Vs. Diff 18 is made each AtPM. Difficulty increases by 1 per Attack and ALL AtPM's during this time frame are relegated to the Games Base 'ATtack Per Melee' average of 5! (Or one ATPM every 3 seconds.)... This last part is so that EVERYONES time frame is measured the exact same Regardless of their Actual AtPM.

IE: A Super with a PE of 30 and a total ATPM of 8, will be dropped 5 AtPMs just the same as a human with 20 PE and 4 AtPMs (Although the weaker Human will be operating in Actions and not Attacks). Everyones the same so as to Not penalize someone for having too high or Too low of a AtPM total.

Additional changes.
I could care less about the Bizarre, and unnecessary Ret Con that changed SN PS lift from 50x100 to 200x300! I really have no use for such a Universally stupid change to Every game when what was there already worked Just fine.

My PS Chart reads as.
PS RANK_____________CARRY(lbs)________________LIFTING_________________DEAD LIFT
Normal_________________X 10_______________________X 20____________________X40
Strong*.________________X 20_______________________X 40____________________X80
Insect__________________X 50_______________________X 50____________________X160
True Supernatural._______X 50_______________________X 100___________________X200
Robotic.._______________X 50_______________________X 50____________________X200 (Only achievable when Limiters are turned off)
Augmented**____________X 80_______________________X 160___________________X320
Extraordinary___________X 100______________________X 200___________________X400
Superhuman..___________X 200______________________X 300___________________X600
Superior PS_____________X 300______________________X 500___________________X1000 (Known prior as Super Natural PS)
Mega PS***_____________X 500______________________X 1000__________________X2000
Ultimate PS****..________X1000________._____________X2000_____._____________X4000
COSMIC****.___________In Tons________..____________X10Tons__.______________X100Tons

*Not gained by having a PS over 16 (as that's never made a lick of sense). This is given to those with advanced levels of Mundane physical training like Dead Lifters, Physical Training OCC's (Ones w/o SN PS), and some supers with Augmented PS that is NOT EX PS or higher (Anyone with a bonus of 5+). Additionally this is the category given to those with PS modified by Mutations (Lesser classed than the 'Minor Super Power' class of powers-See kitten Stomp).

**Given to Classes like Juicers & Dog Boys (See Rifts for this PS).

*** Mega PS is an optional Mega Power selection (In effect a category above Major where I've placed powers Like Invulnerability & True Polymorph as well as All other Mega powers, where in One Mega Power costs 3 Three Majors to buy.

****Ultimate PS is listed in the 'ULTRA' class of super powers which is (In mine and a few others games) found just Above 'Mega' Class of powers. Cosmic PS is for COSMIC beings like "Cosmo Knights", Certain gods such as "Zurvan" and "Atlas", and the rare Cosmically charged Super. Both are for High Level games and seldom come up, relating more to NPC.

ADDITIONALLY:PS has No upper limit, Can be increased with Physical training and Does generally benefit it's user with Enhanced Toughness which You'd call an AR... I use the U.P. System which is a minor derivative of Palladiums PV/Pen System as found in PB's "Compendium of Contemporary Weapons".
•Based on the Class of and total PS and PE, an individual maybe tougher than a normal person.
Formula: ¼PS+¼PE=Blunt UPscore (This is for Normal non-augmented biological PS attributes).
Any kinetic Impact lower than This total does No damage to the super. This is Also very realistic as in reality, the More muscle mass one has, the more impact they can Shrug off.
•Also Note that, this is ones Blunt UPscore when 'UNFLEXED', when Flexed this changes to:
Formula: ½PS+¼PE
•Flexing is a standard PP defensive action/attack rolled against the blow of the attacker, usually made when the defender is incapacitated or Other defensive maneuvers have failed. Alternatively it may simply be done to "Show Off'.
•Staying 'Flexed' reduces Physical Prowess and Speed by ½.
•Supernatural Resistances/UPscores are generally Much higher. SN/EX PE for example is 4x's better than Human norms, as such their formula is ¼PS+PE (and Not ¼PE). Additionally, for Every rank of PS the PS reduction lessens.
•Blunt UPscores are ½ as effective Vs. Edged attacks (even before said weapons Own Penetrative aspects are taken into account). Additionally, Energy attacks Ignore Blunt UPscores.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

it is confusing though, and somewhat worrisome. a quick google, by no means an exhaustive search, just a scan, puts the world record at just over 1000lbs.

As it stands, according to HU2 Page 16, that's a PS of about 25.

according to Dragonblaze, that requires a character to have 17 PS (which gives him an extreme lift of 1360lbs, though 16 PS only allows 840.

Steeler 49 keeps the numbers pretty much the same, though we can assume the world champion weightlifter can qualify as 'strong' giving him a 13PS (1040lbs deadlift).

I think our numbers are flying a bit far from plausability (defying realism is cool IMHO for a superheroes game, but plausability is a bit of a trick).

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Arrrgggg.... Iczers got me on that *Strong point! :-(
Frankly I shouldn't have a dead lifter in that class simply put because I perfer humans stay out of it all together (Except for humans coming from Augmented Worlds like Heroes Unlimited or Rifts). Humans from Worlds without Chi, Psi, Magical & Chemical augmentations should always use the Normal Human charts. The *Strongman Chart is intended for 'Pulp Fiction' level Strongmen.

Consider this Addendum-Danka Iczer fer pointing that out for me.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”