Battle Magi and PPE draining

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Battle Magi and PPE draining

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

It recently came to my attention that Battle Magi can not draw PPE from other individuals. Are they the only mage class who cannot do this,and can anyone think of a good reason why?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Balabanto
Champion

Re: Battle Magi and PPE draining

Unread post by Balabanto »

Because everything else they get would make them broken if they could do that.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Sorry guys, but neither of those explanation is adequate to me. Since Battle Magi are warrior mages,they should be able to replenish their PPE with the PPE of their slain enemies.And I have never thought of them as "broken." If MDC beings were allowed to play them, you might have a point.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Balabanto
Champion

The canon answer (listed before mine) is still the correct one. I believe that if Battle Magi had the ability to do that, it would unbalance them in favor of other casting classes.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Captain Shiva wrote:It recently came to my attention that Battle Magi can not draw PPE from other individuals. Are they the only mage class who cannot do this,and can anyone think of a good reason why?

Because the Battle Magus is a Warrior FIRST , and a wizard second. Thier the front line battle troops.
And thier some what limited understanding of magic. Would in my personal opinion be the reasoning behind them not being able to draw PPE from other beings.

Considering it could take up to 14 years just to master both thier bodies and minds , then thier taught the mystic arts.. means to me that is the very reasoning in which they could not draw PPE from other beings .
Balabanto
Champion

A Battle Magus is NOT a warrior first, because he is listed under Men of Magic, and not Man at Arms OCC's.

Making the Battle Magus a Man at Arms OCC would solve that problem for me, but it would open up a host of others.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Balabanto wrote:A Battle Magus is NOT a warrior first, because he is listed under Men of Magic, and not Man at Arms OCC's.

Making the Battle Magus a Man at Arms OCC would solve that problem for me, but it would open up a host of others.

Can argue it all you want. I took those words directly from the Occ's write up. As per thier writeup they are in fact Warriors 1st .. and Wizards 2nd .
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Captain Shiva wrote:Are they the only mage class who cannot do this?

I'm pretty sure there's a few others out there that also can't draw PPE from other individuals, but I wouldn't know who they are without going through each & every one.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Their writeup says plainly their warriors first and magic-users second.

You can disagree with the reasoning, but what the reasoning is is not exsactly secret.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Thats why I'm Aberrant Evil. :twisted:
I would do it... but my allies wont let me. :evil:
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:Conjurer and Controller are two other Magic OCCs that can only draw PPE from a Ley Line and not from people or rituals.

As well as Warlocks.

And, in regards to the OP, you might want to re-visit canon rulings on absorbing PPE from those you kill as well. If I recall correctly, it's not particularly battle-field effective. This isn't a video game. Baddies aren't dropping little blue energy pellets for you to pick up. :roll:

I believe it requires time, and a bit of focus. More of a mini-ritual than anything else. And sure, you can keep the last guy alive and kill him to replenish, but then you're killing in cold blood. As a GM, I'd inflict alignment penalties for good and most selfish characters.

You have to be prepared for it.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

You don't necessarily have to do a ritual, you just have to be ready. You pretty much just have to time it right, either by waiting for the opponent to bleed out, or by knowing exactly when he will die, I have had my LLW walk up to a wounded enemy after battle, point a gun at him, pause to collect himself, and then shoot him in the face and collect his PPE. It was ruthless and cruel, but we were in a bind, and I needed it than him anyway. I believe the RMB and RUE both have passages on this kind of thing, both of them are incredibly vague, and are pretty much what I said a few sentences ago.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

My last group house-ruled that you had to be mysticlly prepared for it, which meant as part of a ritual, not something you could do on in combat.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Ours house ruled that you either had to do that, or just know precisely when that person would die, but without the ritual, you could only get their normal PPE, not the doubled PPE from their death. So if you for example, after calming yourself and prepare to absorb that energy, shot someone in the face, you could snag some of it. Of course the ritual wasn't a big thing, just took a melee or two, but it was kinda obvious there would be no questioning involved, and that the person was gonna die. Hence, most of them wouldn't sit still. Didn't matter much either way, you can only so many people in cold blood. I only did it once, and even then my own group nearly turned me in to some random law enforcement agency. Friends will lower your chances of easily recovering your PPE.

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Captain Shiva wrote:It recently came to my attention that Battle Magi can not draw PPE from other individuals. Are they the only mage class who cannot do this,and can anyone think of a good reason why?

They are not the only ones who cannot. Warlocks immediately spring to mind as ones who cannot draw PPE from individuals (though they can from elemental beings).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Tyciol wrote:I wonder, what about multi-class characters who have both elemental magic and normal magic?

In cases like that, I almost think treating it like 2 separate PPE pools might work, so they could borrow PPE for their normal magic, but not to fuel their PPE pool for elemental magic.

This is an important consideration for godlings/demigods, dragons, and if you use multiclass rules.

It's only one pool of PPE; the techniques for drawing from non-elemental beings aren't part of being a warlock, and aren't available without a radical realignment of understanding (i.e. training in wizardry).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”