Random question....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Re: Random question....

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

depends on how you read the text. I say no. They keep the powers. Theiir mask is an extension of their will, not dependent on wormwood.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I say it only works on Wormwood since every thing else there works that way. Give them a good reason to stay on their horrible planet. You start letting those masks go off planet and everyone going to want one from a Juicer to a Glitter Boy pilot. "Ok you destroyed my GB, its clobbering time!" :lol:

"You wouldn't like me with my mask on."
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I don't have a book near me, but I thought it said specifically that the Apoks lose all their powers off of wormwood?
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

tcabril wrote:cyber-yukongil v2.5 - You may be correct but I thought that since Rifts Earth is so saturated with Magic that the Apok could make the cross-over.

oh, personally I'd allow it with good cause and/or story and in fact have done so in past games*.

I thought the OP was looking for a canon answer.

*had the mask and Apok empowered by one of the spirits of wormwood that came along. It would eventually weaken and die over time though

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:I don't have a book near me, but I thought it said specifically that the Apoks lose all their powers off of wormwood?

It does , and they do. The mask is both an extension of the Apok that created it ( he mentally fashions it ) and a living extention from the planet itself , (Gets its powers from the planet). If the Apok leaves Wormwood the mask dies in so many hours. ( along with all powers & abilities )
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist

tcabril wrote:cyber-yukongil v 2.5 - I meant no offense - I would probably allow it - I don't find the Apok to be any more powerful than some of the other character options in Rifts.

I did want the Cannon answer I just was asking a question to help clarify the point in my own head.

Thanks

no offense taken. I agree, the Apok is really no different than a Sea Inquisitor, actually less powerful IMO. Probably because Worm Wood was an earlier book for Palladium, it has been eclipsed in power for awhile now.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tcabril wrote:...would an APOK lose his/her abilities coming to Rifts Earth?

The Apok is the only WW powered class that does not loose their powers when they leave WW.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Random answer....

WB21, page 37, right side 3rd paragraph down.
Reguoc
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Reguoc »

Actually this was addressed back in the 90s in the FAQ and the official answer is that Apoks can indeed survive on Rifts Earth/Phase World/or anywhere else. That is part of the reason for the SDC bonuses provided in the Apok description.
Ryan McDaniel
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

The Beast wrote:Random answer....

Damn it, now I HAVE to go look. You Bastard, how did you know my only weakness!
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Beast

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
The Beast wrote:Random answer....

Damn it, now I HAVE to go look. You Bastard, how did you know my only weakness!

:twisted:
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

dammit...that paragraph had f-all to do with this.

anyways...I don't think the canon material allows it, not that an Apok should want to leave Wormwood and stop fighting The Unholy.

If you are going to let the Apok with a good story line...I would let them have to have a sit-down with a Druid/Bio-mancer/nature-type mage to be able to commune with Earth like it does with WW, but at twice the PPE cost per spell. Also...I would suggest them find someone with the 'Complete Symbiosis' from Rifter 15 if they wanted to keep the Demon Mask for long.

but that's me.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
The Beast

Pox wrote:dammit...that paragraph had f-all to do with this.

:lol: :lol: :twisted:
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

F****ing magical fruit.

The more you eat, the more you toot!

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

anyways...I don't think the canon material allows it, not that an Apok should want to leave Wormwood and stop fighting The Unholy.

If you are going to let the Apok with a good story line...I would let them have to have a sit-down with a Druid/Bio-mancer/nature-type mage to be able to commune with Earth like it does with WW, but at twice the PPE cost per spell. Also...I would suggest them find someone with the 'Complete Symbiosis' from Rifter 15 if they wanted to keep the Demon Mask for long.

but that's me.

The difference between Earth and WW is that WW is sentient being, while earth be not alive.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

I'm pretty sure it states they come right on over, with no penalties, except myabe something to do with their communion magic.

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

but that's me.

The difference between Earth and WW is that WW is sentient being, while earth be not alive.

tell that to some hippy Earth mage though. ;)

seriously though...that's why I say those particular types of mages and double the PPE to perform even the most basic of spells.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

There's a fair number of powers an Apok would lose off of Wormwood; all of the Communion with Wormwood spells, for example. If you rule that they lose their mask, they do lose a significant fraction of their MDC, and a few other abilities, as well.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

tcabril wrote:...would an APOK lose his/her abilities coming to Rifts Earth?

Yes
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “Rifts®”