Lightblade too powerfull?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Finegael
D-Bee

Lightblade too powerfull?

Unread post by Finegael »

I think the TW Lightblade is way too powerfull combined with the right OCCs. It does 1d4x10 MDC damage (or double), is not very expensive (10000 credit) and you get a combat bonus. So, if you have a juicer or crazy (occs which are not too concerned with 15 SDC/5 min: large annount of SDC and bio-regeneration) you have a super swordsman. Give them the fencing skill (and maybe the right traits from the Lone Star Book) and they are nearly unbeatable. Or give them WP Paired and 2 Lightblades....

Oh, and an Amalki Stone Man (2000 SDC/HP) could figth all day long with a Lightblade.

Would do you think?
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Lightblade too powerfull?

Unread post by Ale Golem »

That's where GM control comes in. A lot of equipment can be overpowered, especially is someone has two of them but it doesn't mean that the GM has to let a player have even one.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

It depends entirely on what they're being used against.

Vagabonds and Street rats? Yeah, prolly.

Glitterboys and Godlings? Not so much.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I've made an Octoman Bio-borg who was using 4 lightblades as one of my PC's main antagonists .. they killed him but they lost 2 of the 6 people with another 1 getting hurt to the severity of him now being partial borg.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Finegael wrote:I think the TW Lightblade is way too powerfull combined with the right OCCs. It does 1d4x10 MDC damage (or double), is not very expensive (10000 credit) and you get a combat bonus. So, if you have a juicer or crazy (occs which are not too concerned with 15 SDC/5 min: large annount of SDC and bio-regeneration) you have a super swordsman. Give them the fencing skill (and maybe the right traits from the Lone Star Book) and they are nearly unbeatable. Or give them WP Paired and 2 Lightblades....

Oh, and an Amalki Stone Man (2000 SDC/HP) could figth all day long with a Lightblade.

Would do you think?

Using melee weapons in a game with tons range weapon is fun sometime, but the penalties for close range are devastating to a swordsmen. TW Light dealing 1D4X10+1D6 is OK but a Psyscape psychic with his Mind's Eye open can choose to have their psi-Sword deal double damage thats 8D6 at 3rd level, 12D6 at level 4 and 18D6 at level 7 +1D6 with fencing! They can also do an extra 2D6 if they get a Amaki TW Psi-Blade from South America. Double damage on a critical Strike could reach over 200 M.D!
Last edited by runebeo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Don't you have to be a mage or psychic to use TW stuff?
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The Beast wrote:Don't you have to be a mage or psychic to use TW stuff?

Most you do! You need P.P.E. & I.S.P. and I don't think ordinary people with even a large amount of P.P.E. can use one.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

It's very powerful, but not air strike powerful ;-) Just make sure it's being used in the correct type of campaign
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

any weapon is good or bad and can wipe out the enemy.
just use a Big Bore against the enemy.
a double shot should knock him down. or if you have a flying ability (including magic or tech) fly up in the air with an area effect weapon like the wellington grenade launcher or the Napalm cflame thrower.
I however have taken the cool idea of using Telekinisis to lift the guy in the air and get rid of that auto dodge crap if a juicer and make him a laser pin coushion ;)
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

My comment on this is as follows.

Chances are, if it's in the basic book, it's not too powerful.

Chances also are that if it does less than 1d6x10, it's not too powerful. Your problem wasn't the lightblade sword. It was the Octo-man.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

I think the Lightblade is rather weak, myself. I mean, it's Ok. I, personally, think that you simply don't have a good point of reference.

You see, Palladium hates technological MD melee weapons. Having one that deals decent damage is Anathema to them. They can't even make Tech oriented Blunt weapons. If you look at TechnoWizard melee weapons, you'll find tons that regularly do 1d6x10 or more. In fact, most TW melee weps do at least 4d6 MD, while Tech do 1d6 or 2d6 if ur lucky.

Thats all just IMO though.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Samored II »

Not if you remember it's a melee weapon in a setting with firearms.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Balabanto wrote:My comment on this is as follows.

Chances are, if it's in the basic book, it's not too powerful.

Chances also are that if it does less than 1d6x10, it's not too powerful. Your problem wasn't the lightblade sword. It was the Octo-man.

So then you think an Octo-Man at arms .. armed with 4 Light Blades .. ( Techno-Wizard variation there of .. )

Is against the rules and therefor a problem ?

Could you explain your above quote ? Perhaps I misread it and do not understand clearly what your stating ..
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Samored II wrote:Not if you remember it's a melee weapon in a setting with firearms.

Not my point. Missed it entirely. Many, many TW melee weapons do more damage than many long range weapons.(Tech or otherwise)
Very, very few Tech melee weapons do any considerable damage at all. That was my point. I merely stated that he may wish to acquire a wider frame of reference, however, his frame of reference is indeed valid. After all, it's what he uses.

Although, maybe it is I, who missed your point.... perhaps I will ponder this.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

As many others have already pointed out, considering that RIFTs has a plethora of ranged weapons dealing 6D6 to 1D6x10 MD which are man-portable, I fail to see what's wrong with a TW melee weapon which damages it's user dealing 1D4x10 MD. If you let the Juicer rush you with the Lightblade, that's on you. Considering I play allowing P.S. damage bonus to physical melee weapons, it's nothing worse than you'd suffer from a guy using a vibrosword with a high P.S.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Wyrmbear wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Could you explain your above quote ? Perhaps I misread it and do not understand clearly what your stating ..

I believe Balabanto was referring to the Octoman with 4 lightblades being a balance issue, due to the Octoman's inherent abilities. As well as being that the Octoman, while fine in it's "native" setting (Splynn Dimensional Market, IIRC), is slightly overpowered in a North American RUE-centric game.

In his opinion of course.

It was a comment on GM control, if I'm not mistaken.

I understand now .. Thank you sometimes with me you have to break it down Barny style haha .. Your Breaken it down Barnys style .. just went up 5% .. hehe ..

Again thank you for reals ..
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Lobo wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I think the Lightblade is rather weak, myself. I mean, it's Ok. I, personally, think that you simply don't have a good point of reference.

You see, Palladium hates technological MD melee weapons. Having one that deals decent damage is Anathema to them. They can't even make Tech oriented Blunt weapons. If you look at TechnoWizard melee weapons, you'll find tons that regularly do 1d6x10 or more. In fact, most TW melee weps do at least 4d6 MD, while Tech do 1d6 or 2d6 if ur lucky.

Thats all just IMO though.

IMO I think that is intentional. It's a balance issue. Tech kicks butt at range while magic kicks butt up close. Also high tech nations focus on range usually, they don't want to have to get up close if they can help it. RL armies haven't done much with melee weapons either. They prefer their soldiers to use their rifles rather than their knives.

I agree.

The magical h2h weaponry appeals to the "sword and sorcery" crowd, while tech-bunnies do it up with all the long-range goodies.

True, but what i was saying is that 1d4x10 isn't so hot. Its just high when compared to a vibroblade. I think we may be arguing the same point :/

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:True, but what i was saying is that 1d4x10 isn't so hot. Its just high when compared to a vibroblade. I think we may be arguing the same point :/

That's called "agreeing". :-D

Nope, we can't do that. There is no agreeing on the internet.

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The question I've always wondered is if you can detach the Kittani plasma axe from the Flying Fox and use the thing by itself, or whether it runs off the power pack of the Fox. For certain creatures, that could be an option.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Balabanto wrote:The question I've always wondered is if you can detach the Kittani plasma axe from the Flying Fox and use the thing by itself, or whether it runs off the power pack of the Fox. For certain creatures, that could be an option.

It should be able to run off of an e-clip

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Wyrmbear wrote:But not for very long. I'd give the jury-rigged e-clip-run axe a 2 + 1d4 minute time (based on the Wilks Laser Knife/Sword energy issue, with Plasma weapon consumption as a base) for a short e-clip, and a 4 + 1d4 minute time for a long e-clip, which should probably be used.

Pfft, no one ever uses long e-clips.....

God......

Newbies.......

j/k

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Wyrmbear wrote::badbad:
:x
:clown:

:crane:

I :lol: 'd.

I like your idea there, I might just use that. You see, I have a munchkin in my group.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Tyciol wrote:
runebeo wrote:a Psyscape psychic with his Mind's Eye open can choose to have their psi-Sword deal double damage thats 8D6 at 3rd level, 12D6 at level 4 and 18D6 at level 7 +1D6 with fencing! They can also do an extra 2D6 if they get a Amaki TW Psi-Blade from South America. Double damage on a critical Strike could reach over 200 M.D!
Pshhh newb. Since you have Psyscape you should also include the Booster Psi-Implant with the Astral Avenger side effect :) Heck, you could even keep using the Amaki blade in astral form if you had telekinesis to wield it with right? Just so long as the blade stayed in contact with your astral form (since psi-swords evaporate if you lose contact right?) there shouldn't be a problem.

Actually I'm wondering... what about ectoplasmic arms? Wouldn't that still count as contact? It'd be awesome to have a psychic wield a psi-sword from a distance with ectoplasm.

:frust: :frust: :frust: WHY would you post that!?! I have munchkins that troll this forum! :badbad: :nh:

They will only feed off of this..........I must burn it :x :lol:

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Wyrmbear wrote:
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:WHY would you post that!?! I have munchkins that troll this forum!

You know you ought not to ask a question and answer it in the same post.

:P

:lol:
:lol:
Nice!

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Lobo wrote:
Tyciol wrote:
runebeo wrote:
Kid: "Mr. Mind Melter, how many Swipes of your Psi-Sword does it take to get into the juicy center of a Coalition Death's Head Transport?"

Mr. Mind Melter: "Hmm lets see One....Two...Thuhree...*crunch*! Thuhree." :clown:

Awesomesauce!

Return to “Rifts®”